Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6414468 08/18/16 07:15 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
They never will if they get shot.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: jshouse] #6414627 08/18/16 09:35 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: therancher
It is noted that stx is reduced to arguing feed names and avoiding the fact that does are production units that add more value than they eat over time.

I calculate total feed costs (including protein, corn, mineral,etc) against income each year, and even not culling does yet, I'm still in the black. It doesn't matter if it's nutrena, purina, or generic.

Is there a connection between hating spikes and lost logic?? rifle

What percentage of your bucks are spikes in a given year? In a LF pasture? In a HF pasture?

That changes based on rain and most importantly birth date. I can tell you I've watched a trophy ranch kill virtually their entire buck fawn crop during a drought year thinking they were "managing" properly. In my HF pastures I don't see many spikes that aren't late born.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6414629 08/18/16 09:38 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
I wish I was getting some of the rain at my house and lease. Have had good natural forbs at the lease and the deer are healthy though, so not complaining.

I still can't believe so many people think this buck was born last year...I have bucks with half his size with branched antlers, and fawns with spots on them still. This guy is as big as a pregnant doe.

I'll bet you a hundred bucks he's a yearling. Kill him and get it tested by a vet. I'll trust you.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: redchevy] #6414634 08/18/16 09:40 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
It is noted that stx is reduced to arguing feed names and avoiding the fact that does are production units that add more value than they eat over time.

I calculate total feed costs (including protein, corn, mineral,etc) against income each year, and even not culling does yet, I'm still in the black. It doesn't matter if it's nutrena, purina, or generic.

What percentage of your bucks are spikes in a given year? In a LF pasture? In a HF pasture?

And what percentage of the spikes turn into beasts of typical 12's at 3.5 YO?

I've had a couple of spikes each year. I have one now that is a nubbin that might have been born in December. I don't have any deer on my improved side that have made maturity and not made 140+".

Last edited by therancher; 08/18/16 09:40 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: therancher] #6414946 08/19/16 12:54 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Point is your $1000 per head number doesn't figure in the overall cost of the deer just the individual feed bill of one buck (if that is correct on your place). Land payments, water, corn, blinds/feeders etc also figured in? etc to get that $6500 ? I would also say a low % of bucks unless small low fence heavily introduced genetics make 180" at 5 and that $6500 range. Most high fence intensively managed ranches selling hunts trophies are now 6-7 year olds.

I don't think getting a buck to 5 years of age on year round protein is anywhere close to $1,000. Way higher if fed year round (like most high fences have to do) and all incurred expenses are figured.

I think your leaving out a lot of inputs but if it makes you feel good and your in the black have at it.

Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: txbobcat] #6415167 08/19/16 03:14 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txbobcat

Point is your $1000 per head number doesn't figure in the overall cost of the deer just the individual feed bill of one buck (if that is correct on your place). Land payments, water, corn, blinds/feeders etc also figured in? etc to get that $6500 ? I would also say a low % of bucks unless small low fence heavily introduced genetics make 180" at 5 and that $6500 range. Most high fence intensively managed ranches selling hunts trophies are now 6-7 year olds.

I don't think getting a buck to 5 years of age on year round protein is anywhere close to $1,000. Way higher if fed year round (like most high fences have to do) and all incurred expenses are figured.

I think your leaving out a lot of inputs but if it makes you feel good and your in the black have at it.

No. You're wrong. The point was feed to reach maturity. I would own the ranch whether I produced deer or not so cost of ownership is moot.

My mature bucks killed last year averaged 181+". But. Even at 140" that spike making it to maturity is a net positive.

Stx got off into the "cost of does" which is ridiculous. If they produce 2 bucks in their lifetime they're a net positive and they produce much more than 2 bucks.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: therancher] #6415401 08/19/16 12:16 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

No. You're wrong. The point was feed to reach maturity. I would own the ranch whether I produced deer or not so cost of ownership is moot.

My mature bucks killed last year averaged 181+". But. Even at 140" that spike making it to maturity is a net positive.

Stx got off into the "cost of does" which is ridiculous. If they produce 2 bucks in their lifetime they're a net positive and they produce much more than 2 bucks.

Cost of total herd would still have to be figured if you were trying to find a cost of that buck when you sold it to determine a margin of profit related to that deer.

Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6415405 08/19/16 12:20 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Wonder if that spike and johnny football have anything in common popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: redchevy] #6415417 08/19/16 12:35 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

They both have a stubborn fan that just won't see them for what they truly are and they will both let the fan down 9 times out of ten rofl

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6415439 08/19/16 12:46 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
cheers

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6415443 08/19/16 12:47 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
With the meticulous kind of records and information provided I very much doubt anyone knows what that deer was as a yearling.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: txshntr] #6415521 08/19/16 01:25 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: txshntr

They both have a stubborn fan that just won't see them for what they truly are and they will both let the fan down 9 times out of ten rofl

cheers

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6415845 08/19/16 06:04 PM
G
Greytshot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
The state of Texas says to kill all spikes. popcorn

Last edited by Greytshot; 08/19/16 06:04 PM.

GreytShot
South Texas
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: Greytshot] #6416001 08/19/16 07:55 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Greytshot
I will start shooting spikes when obama says to.

Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: don k] #6416006 08/19/16 07:59 PM
K
kdkane1971 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: don k

I always took you for a staunch Democrat, Don.

Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: txbobcat] #6416175 08/19/16 09:33 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Cost of total herd would still have to be figured if you were trying to find a cost of that buck when you sold it to determine a margin of profit related to that deer.

I give up. If you can't understand the concept that does are a net positive in my herd and what that does to cost per buck then you are beyond my capabilities to educate.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: jshouse] #6416177 08/19/16 09:35 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

cheers

Some day y'all might hurt my feeling if you keep ganging up like that... loser8

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: kdkane1971] #6416262 08/19/16 11:03 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Originally Posted By: don k

I always took you for a staunch Democrat, Don.
I did that for the "libs" in hiding on here to draw them out.

Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: therancher] #6416645 08/20/16 05:53 AM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

cheers

Don't let that happen, sir.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: therancher] #6416770 08/20/16 01:12 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms

cheers

rofl

Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: txshntr] #6417052 08/20/16 06:33 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Ha! I thought you'd like that.

Btw all you spike haters, I have at least a couple of spikes each year here. And so far I've never had a mature buck that hasnt beaten 145". So in fact, spikes have never let me down. Now, that knucklehead manziel... well, I cannot say the same for his ignorant azz.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: therancher] #6417793 08/21/16 04:43 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Ha! I thought you'd like that.

Btw all you spike haters, I have at least a couple of spikes each year here. And so far I've never had a mature buck that hasnt beaten 145". So in fact, spikes have never let me down. Now, that knucklehead manziel... well, I cannot say the same for his ignorant azz.

You use a number 36" below your average as a bar to judge the deer by?

Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: txshntr] #6417853 08/21/16 07:15 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I use the lowest number to measure lowest value and assure profit margin that qualifies feed $.

As noted, one of my spikes will make or beat my average.

I know it's difficult for you and other spike haters to comprehend.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Too old to be a spike? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6427718 08/28/16 08:22 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Well this has been interesting. As usual

Originally Posted by East...
Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that