Page 1 of 2 1 2
Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! #6399235 08/08/16 08:45 PM
R
rgb1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R

As the new Hunting Season approaches, I would like to call your attention to the Texas Youth Hunting Program (www.tyhp.org) – we arrange introductory, mentored hunt opportunities for kids ages 9-17 that are safe, educational, and affordable. Our mission is to increase the number of youth participating in hunting and wildlife activities, and our goal is to provide an opportunity for any youth in Texas who wants to go hunting!

A little background…..The Texas Youth Hunting Program began in 1996. TYHP is a program of the Texas Wildlife Association (www.texas-wildlife.org), and is conducted in partnership with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Since inception, over 60,000 youth, parents, and volunteers have participated in TYHP. It is my great pleasure to work for TWA on the staff of this program!

Here are details about TYHP (I know it's a long read but I've tried to address FAQs)......

TYHP hunts are typically on private ranches whose owners donate access, although we are doing an increasing number of hunts on state- and federally-owned wildlife management areas or refuges. TYHP hunts are run by volunteer “Huntmasters” who have completed a training course administered by TYHP. The volunteer crew will also typically include a cook and guides that accompany the youth hunters. We do hunts for all types of game birds and animals as well as exotics and varmints; the landowner gets to specify the ground rules for what game is taken (in accordance with applicable seasons and regulations.)

TYHP hunts typically are scheduled to run from a Friday evening thru noon or so on Sunday. The youth/adult provide their own transportation. There will be a minimum of four hunters on a TYHP hunt, and often more. TYHP provides liability insurance for participating landowners, and we provide all equipment and resources to conduct a hunt. The landowner can be as involved as he wants to be; often they like to be present during the hunt weekend, but we can run the hunt from A to Z without the landowner’s presence if needed.

Hunter Education certification is required for a youth to go on a TYHP hunt, and TYHP has an excellent safety record. When the kids are not hunting or tending to game they have harvested, they are engaged in other learning opportunities such as skills trails, target shooting, wildlife and conservation programs that game wardens or biologists often conduct at hunt locations, or sometimes even fishing. We keep them busy – there are always new things to learn in the outdoors!

A parent or guardian must accompany each youth on a TYHP hunt. The adult participates in all elements of the weekend, fostering quality time with the youth. There is a fee of $150 for the hunt weekend – this covers both the adult and the youth. Cost and equipment are not barriers to participating in a TYHP hunt, and no experience is required. Scholarships are available to those who cannot afford the fee, and loaner equipment (firearms, bows, and some camping gear) is available if needed.

Lodging arrangements vary according to what is available on a given property – some ranches have cabins or bunkhouses they allow the kids to use, others have barns in which everyone sets up cots. And many places have no facilities and the participants all camp in tents. All food is provided by TYHP.

Hunts are typically structured such that a volunteer guide accompanies the youth and their adult while hunting. The guide helps with hunt strategy, monitors safety, and ensures that any shots taken at game are judged to be safe, legal, and ethical for the given situation – the guide and the hunter must be in agreement before a shot is fired. In short, the guide is a mentor to help the youth and their adult learn. If an animal is harvested, the youth will learn how to field dress it and prepare it to be transported home (skin, quarter, pluck, etc.). TYHP prides itself on stewardship during the hunt. Respect for the animal resources and the property is paramount. Hunters and their accompanying adult write thank you letters to the landowner during closing activities on the last day, and help with chores and clean up are required of all participants throughout the hunt.

To apply for hunts, a youth must create an account on the TYHP website (www.tyhp.org). Then they may begin to apply for hunts that are posted on the “Hunt Schedule” section of the website (http://www.tyhp.org/youth-hunters/youth-hunt-schedule/). Kids may apply for more than one hunt to increase their chances. Selection priority is given to kids that have not participated in a TYHP hunt.

Youth can apply for hunts even if they have not yet completed Hunter Ed; however, they will have to complete it before going on a hunt. Also, note that the $150 fee is only due upon selection for a hunt; there is no cost to apply.

In the 2015-2016 hunting season, we conducted 190 hunts on which approximately 2200 kids and adults participated. We plan to offer even more opportunity this coming year. As I write this we have 35 hunts and 2 fishing/Hunter Ed events already on the calendar, with more being added all the time!

If you know a youth in our age group (9-17) that would like to go on a hunt, visit the TYHP website (www.tyhp.org) and check out our opportunities.

The bulk of this post has been about kids......If you are an adult that would like to volunteer with TYHP, please contact me and I can help you get started. We are always looking for more folks to volunteer as Huntmasters, Guides, and Cooks. This is a very rewarding program to volunteer with – it’s a great pleasure to help kids start down the road of outdoor adventure as a hunter! Our volunteers are some of the best folks anywhere!

Additionally, we are always seeking new places to hunt. If you are a landowner or know one who may be interested in offering a youth hunt, please contact me and I can help get the ball rolling. A host property just needs to be large enough for at least 4 youth to hunt safely, and is not required to have facilities or improvements. And if a property does have facilities, it is totally at the landowner’s discretion as to whether they are used by TYHP. Landowners are involved in hunt planning, and decide the hunt dates as well as the types and quantities of game that may be hunted. Many of our landowners use TYHP hunts to help achieve deer harvest objectives, such as those required in the MLDP program. We provide Liability Insurance to landowners at no cost to them.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly or call our office in San Antonio (800-460-5494).

Thanks!

Bob Barnette
TYHP North Texas Field Operations Coordinator
214-282-3697
bbarnette@texas-wildlife.org

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6399428 08/08/16 10:52 PM
B
Buzzard Breath Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
A quick thank you to all those involved; staff, volunteers and landowners, that help make this happen. My daughter and I participated last year with great success (5 hunts, 5 harvests - we filled in on last minute cancels a couple times) and lots of quality time. We hope we can do it again this year!

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6399585 08/09/16 12:52 AM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thank you much, we put in for a couple. up

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6399646 08/09/16 01:34 AM
M
Mako My Day Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
What an awesome program with fantastic volunteers! We have been on a couple of hunts, and hoping for at least one more before January 20th, that's when my son turns 18 and ages out.

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6399651 08/09/16 01:35 AM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
We have a challangeing spot and stalk at lake merdith on the fall youth season. We are looking for youth huntets, guides and a cook. Hunt 17033

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6399980 08/09/16 11:55 AM
U
upsslim Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
U
My son hunted with the TYHP several times in the 5 years he was in the program. Each time was great! The program is run by a great group of people. The kids and adults learn things all weekend. You get quality time together. Meet people and make friends from all around the state. The food is good. If my health was better I'd love to be a huntmaster. It's a very rewarding way to spend a weekend. I highly recommend it for any kids and adults.

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6408421 08/15/16 02:35 AM
R
rgb1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
ttt....

Check out our Youth Hunt Schedule - we now have almost 50 hunts posted, with more being added all the time!

http://www.tyhp.org/youth-hunters/youth-hunt-schedule/

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6429255 08/29/16 03:36 PM
R
rgb1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
ttt....

Check out our Youth Hunt Schedule - we now have 81 hunts posted, with more being added all the time!

http://www.tyhp.org/youth-hunters/youth-hunt-schedule/

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6429352 08/29/16 04:23 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
We are needing a cook and guides for the Lake Meredith hunt Oct 19 - 30, any one interested please pm me.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6434734 09/01/16 08:08 PM
R
Ratrod101 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Fingers crossed this year! Sounds like an awesome time and experience to teach the kids that hunting isn't all about the harvest.

Can the older kids volunteer as well? The first thing my son (15) asked after the excitement of a possible Colorado trip, pronghorn hunt, hunt/fish on the King Ranch, etc was would it be possible for US to volunteer at a hunt nearby? Pretty proud of him for that.

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6434762 09/01/16 08:30 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
The huntmaster training I attended 4 years ago had a couple youth that went through the same program we did, they planned to help with hunts with their parents on hunts and become huntmasters themselves in the future. Junior huntmasters are a part of the volunteer staff

http://tyhp.alamark.com/volunteer/

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6435314 09/02/16 03:35 AM
B
BrotherD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Awesome information.

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6435378 09/02/16 08:30 AM
K
Kingsview Safaris Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
This sounds like a fantastic initiative. We may not be based in Texas but if there is anyway we can be involved you welcome to contact us. Good luck for the upcoming hunts.

Jono and Justine McHugh
Eastern Cape, South Africa
www.kingsviewsafaris.co.za
Listen to our Podcast: Round The Fire With Kingsview Safaris
Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: Ratrod101] #6435722 09/02/16 04:23 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Ratrod101
Fingers crossed this year! Sounds like an awesome time and experience to teach the kids that hunting isn't all about the harvest.

Can the older kids volunteer as well? The first thing my son (15) asked after the excitement of a possible Colorado trip, pronghorn hunt, hunt/fish on the King Ranch, etc was would it be possible for US to volunteer at a hunt nearby? Pretty proud of him for that.

At 16 a Youth may take Huntmaster training and become a Junior HuntMaster. You can also volunteer without Huntmaster training. Get with any of the paid staff and they will get you going. Their contact information is on the website.

Thank You
Robert

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6437466 09/04/16 02:00 AM
R
Ratrod101 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
2 days after going thru the hunt list, son was selected for a hunt! Although it's a dove hunt, its still a TYHP hunt experience and he is excited. Loving this program!

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6438311 09/04/16 11:07 PM
C
CenTex Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
Been planning to do this with my 10 yo daughter. Didn't apply last year because my daughter hadn't completed safety Ed. She takes it next weekend so I will get her signed up now. Have heard nothing but great things about this program. Looking forward to it.

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6438324 09/04/16 11:19 PM
L
lk05077 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Great program have done a few hunts with my oldest daughter including chance to hunt hagermen with her bow. Now is time for my youngest daughter to have her chance I. The program this year oldest gets to hunt if and when the youngest gets her first chance. She in for a few hunts and the oldest is put in for a Hagermen bow deer hunt she is really hopping for that hunt wants to take her first animal with a bow this season. Staff is always great land owners always great.

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6438472 09/05/16 01:27 AM
C
CenTex Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
Bob, how many hunts do you recommend applying for at one time?

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: CenTex] #6440386 09/06/16 03:51 PM
R
rgb1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted By: CenTex

There is no limit on the number of applications, so I would say apply for anything that interests you and aligns with your schedule.

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6441405 09/07/16 03:27 AM
C
CenTex Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: rgb1

There is no limit on the number of applications, so I would say apply for anything that interests you and aligns with your schedule.

We have applied for 4. When are draws made?

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6441479 09/07/16 04:40 AM
O
okjhutch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
hey Bob, or rgb1, did you happen to get drawn on that deer management hunt last year or year before? if so I was there also with my dad, it was our first time there, and we sat out there that first evening visiting and watching the water bucks. I have asked my dad if he has ever heard from you yet, but if this is you i'll tell him, and I am sure he would say to tell ya hi and we might see ya back there again soon, he is ready to go back. Take care.

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rgb1] #6441484 09/07/16 04:50 AM
O
okjhutch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
sorry, I did not mention that the hunt was at mason mnt, you and me and my dad was one of the first ones to show up. Any way just wanted to say hi see how ya doing and just touch bases with you.

one question about the youth hunt, my youngest is 17 now but will be 18 in a few weeks, he has his hunters ed, would he still be qualified if applying at 17 but turn 18 at the time of hunt?

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: okjhutch] #6442258 09/07/16 07:05 PM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: okjhutch
sorry, I did not mention that the hunt was at mason mnt, you and me and my dad was one of the first ones to show up. Any way just wanted to say hi see how ya doing and just touch bases with you.

one question about the youth hunt, my youngest is 17 now but will be 18 in a few weeks, he has his hunters ed, would he still be qualified if applying at 17 but turn 18 at the time of hunt?

That was not me on you hunt, I am just getting started. As for the 17 year old I think that would be a question for Bob or Chris I have my guess but it would be their call. You can find there contact info here. You can find their contact information here. http://tyhp.alamark.com/. Man I am glad you had a good hunt and memory.

Thank You
Robert

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: CenTex] #6442453 09/07/16 08:46 PM
R
rgb1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted By: rgb1

We have applied for 4. When are draws made?

The hunters are selected 3-4 weeks before the date of the hunt. Good luck!

Re: Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17! [Re: rdhibbs] #6442467 09/07/16 08:54 PM
R
rgb1 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
R
Originally Posted By: rdhibbs
Originally Posted By: okjhutch

That was not me on you hunt, I am just getting started. As for the 17 year old I think that would be a question for Bob or Chris I have my guess but it would be their call. You can find there contact info here. You can find their contact information here. http://tyhp.alamark.com/. Man I am glad you had a good hunt and memory.

Okjhutch,

Nope, that was not me at the Mason Mountain hunt you mentioned. Wish it had been though, LOL! I've never hunted MMWMA, but I am envious of those of you who have - it is a cool place!

Regarding your question about hunt eligibility, unfortunately TYHP rules require the youth to be age 9-17 on the date of the hunt, so your son would not be eligible to participate in any of our hunts after he turns 18. But if there are hunts in which he is interested that take place before his birthday, please apply!

Thanks,
Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide