6236914 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6397050 - 08/06/16 05:03 PM cats, heat, daytime hunting
mx3p4 Offline
Light Foot

Loc: weatherford tx.
Have a friend who has lost about 10 chickens and 5 ducks to ? She put a camera out there but hasn't seen anything. Called me and told me they saw a mountain lion take a duck at 6pm. All killings are in the daytime. After asking more questions they said the tail was short so I'm assuming a bobcat. I go out and sit from 1 to 6pm in 99 degree heat and nothing. Two days later they swear they saw it again and this time they say it was a mountain lion.
My question is how many have experienced killings in the daytime in this heat and is it worth my time to go out there and try it again. They see nothing at night only the daytime. Thanks for your advise

#6397591 - 08/07/16 09:39 AM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
Well, if they critters are being killed in the daytime, then it sounds like you have daytime live bait and that is when the hunting would be most productive.

Day or night, don't expect the cat to be there every day. However, the timing of the day may be something to consider. When are they seeing this cat in the daylight? Is it from 1-6 pm?

You stated just one time (6 pm) and then you hunting from 1-6 pm. No offense, but cats don't wear watches or keep schedules even if it is making a regular set of rounds. 6 pm might have been an early day for it. You could have left and the cat been there at 6:15. If you have a working time frame, bracket it and don't just use it as a start or end point.

#6397799 - 08/07/16 12:23 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
mx3p4 Offline
Light Foot

Everything killed from 4 to 6pm from what they say. I realize they could come in 5 minutes after I leave but I can't be there round the clock. I just think it is odd for them to come out in the day time and with the heat right now. Due to schedule conflict I have only hunted once and I felt like a baked potato. Thanks

#6397940 - 08/07/16 02:53 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
MClark Online   content
Woodsman

Loc: Arizona
A friend has a ranch near Cross Plains with a cat problem, he got a lion on the game camera. The pic was at 8am. He has his own work to do and can't hunt so I came and have been roasting in the blind. I have had bait out where the last kill was stashed but nothing has hit it. The big cat must be on another part of it's territory.
I did get a chicken killing bobcat yesterday. There is another bobcat that leaves tracks right up the middle of the ranch road every night and I am set up to try tonight, motion detection along road and a blind in the back of the truck.
Here nothing is moving after 9:00am so I go to the house.
While waiting for the cat I recommend a towel dipped in water on the back of the neck.... It can also be used to swat flys and mosquitos.

M

#6397966 - 08/07/16 03:26 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker

Loc: TX
If they keep seeing it why haven't they killed it??

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.

#6398033 - 08/07/16 04:41 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
mx3p4 Offline
Light Foot

Forgot about the towel thing. Good idea. Only going to get hotter they say.
They aren't shooters

#6398131 - 08/07/16 06:11 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: mx3p4
Everything killed from 4 to 6pm from what they say. I realize they could come in 5 minutes after I leave but I can't be there round the clock. I just think it is odd for them to come out in the day time and with the heat right now. Due to schedule conflict I have only hunted once and I felt like a baked potato. Thanks

You don't have to be there round the clock, but if you have a time frame (we now know is 4-6 pm) you bracket the expected time. You came 1-6. You would have been much better off had you come 2:30-7:30.

Yes, it is hot outside. It is August in Texas. Set up in the shade. A popup blind would be a good thing. Bring plenty of water. Expect to sweat while there. Pray for a nice breeze.

Think the timing is odd? Maybe it is, but the cat doesn't know that. The cat is hungry and knows when he has free food and water available. Cats may be 'nocturnal' animals according to the field guides, but cats can read and being nocturnal does not mean they are not out in the daytime. I have a bunch of daytime bobcat pictures from my game cameras.

Bobcat with squirrel...

Bobcat going after turkeys...

Bobcat wrapped up on critter...

Bobcat wrapped up on squirrel as Coopers hawk flies by...

The commonality of these images is that the bobcats are going after and getting a daytime resource.

Edited by Double Naught Spy (08/07/16 06:17 PM)

#6398247 - 08/07/16 07:36 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
mx3p4 Offline
Light Foot

Thanks for all the insight.

#6398868 - 08/08/16 11:09 AM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
gary roberson Offline
Pro Tracker

Predators generally hunt by the solunar tables, (moon). Therefore, the active feeding times changes about 52 minutes everyday. Here is my question, are they penning the birds every evening and then turning them loose every morning so that they can feed during daylight hours? This may be the reason that they are experiencing kills only during the day.
Doubt that it is a lion around Parker County as there are too many folks in the rural areas. If it is a lion, chances are it was once someone's pet. That might help explain the daytime boldness.
Adios,
gary

#6398939 - 08/08/16 12:06 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
mx3p4 Offline
Light Foot

Yes they are penned at night and semi free during the day. That does explain the free easy meals. 15 chickens and 5 ducks are just too many in such a short time. They have lived there 5 months. Guess I'll have to suck it up and keep going out there. Thanks to everyone for all the replies

#6398953 - 08/08/16 12:24 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
Extreme Tracker

Quote:
Predators generally hunt by the solunar tables, (moon).

Solunar tables? I would really like to see an actual study that shows this.

#6399162 - 08/08/16 03:14 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
gary roberson Offline
Pro Tracker

I am not a scientist, statistician or biologist, simply an old man that has spent too many hours in the woods. I first started studying solunar tables and how it affected my calling success in the early '90s. The reason that I started paying attention to these active times, was because I noticed that if you called all night long, there were times when no matter how many critters there were, they simply were not going to respond to calling. Then you hit periods that no matter how bad the set up or other mistakes made on the call, critters were going to run over you. That is when I decided to compare these really active calling periods to those major and minor periods on the solunar tables and began to find there was a correlation. As many of you know, I hunted with Murry Burnham for a few years and he always told me that he thought there was something to active feeding times but had no proof.
As an outfitter and somewhat of a predator hunting fool, I had the opportunity to guide literally hundreds of outdoor writers from across the USA. Many of them became aware that I studied the active feeding times (solunar tables) and concentrated much of my efforts around them. Wayne Fears became so interested that he wrote an article about me and solunar tables in the PROGRESSIVE FARMER back in the mid '90s.
I am not going to site different stories that might strengthen my case. I ask that the next time you see a bobcat, coyote or other predator out hunting or crossing the road in front of you without anyone chasing it, that you make note of the time. As soon as you get to the solunar tables, check and see if the critter were not moving in a major or minor feeding period.
While weather can override these times, I do believe that there is something to active feeding times...heck, bass fishermen have used them for years to increase their success.
Adios,
Gary

#6399506 - 08/08/16 06:42 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
mx3p4 Offline
Light Foot

Thanks Gary. I've never looked at them as I thought it was all crazy. Guess I'll pay more attention to it.
Randy

#6399878 - 08/08/16 11:12 PM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
Txcatman1 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: S texas
Traps work 24/7
361-793-6706

#6399924 - 08/09/16 02:54 AM Re: cats, heat, daytime hunting [Re: mx3p4]
Extreme Tracker

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1559586
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1746165
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=37274
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2033439

Quote:
I ask that the next time you see a bobcat, coyote or other predator out hunting or crossing the road in front of you without anyone chasing it, that you make note of the time. As soon as you get to the solunar tables, check and see if the critter were not moving in a major or minor feeding period.

I watched a bobcat for 10 minutes last night, ending at 9:35 pm and that correlated with neither major or minor times

Let's check the pictures. Nothing is chasing these animals. They are hunting, so they are active.
Picture 1 above, NO correlation to major or minor times.
Picture 2 above, NO correlation to major or minor times.
Picture 3 above, close to major, but missed, not close to minor
Picture 4 above, NO correlation to major or minor times

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide