Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hunting lease drama #6390193 08/01/16 01:50 PM
Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Just curious how you guys handle your hunting lease agreements. Im on a lease with 3 other guys, one of which whos family owns the land. He is my best friend of many years and I am wanting to learn some tips from yall on how to best handle the lease so we all get along.

I am afraid to show anyone my game camera pics because we have all established where we are hunting and setup feeder pens among other things. In-fact, i was the last one on the lease and didn't even really get to choose my spot, although im very happy with where im setup at. So far no one else has really seen any big bucks but I have 2 or 3 really nice 8 points coming. Im afraid if i tell them, they will want to move their spots to where im at...hah. I know it sounds trivial but im not really sure how to handle the situation. We've all payed our money up-front to hunt, even my friend who's parents own the land. But, im also afraid he will begin to treat the lease like its his, since his parents own it, even though we all payed the same amount to hunt there and signed the same agreement. He also has a tendency to get jealous over things and im afraid if he doesn't see any deer he will get butt-hurt over it and it will create friction. BTW, he is NOT an experienced hunter, which is why im concerned.

How do yall quell any drama on your lease and have you ever run into problems where people get jealous over deer?

Again, i know this may sound trivial to some, but i don't want this to ruin our friendship

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390197 08/01/16 01:54 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Just don't show the pics!!! Pretty simple.

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390203 08/01/16 01:57 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
It's just deer hunting. No reason to have any drama. The only time I get upset at deer camp is when someone drinks my camp whiskey and doesn't replace it or at least tell me I need to restock.

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: scalebuster] #6390211 08/01/16 02:03 PM
Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
It's just deer hunting. No reason to have any drama. The only time I get upset at deer camp is when someone drinks my camp whiskey and doesn't replace it or at least tell me I need to restock.

I agree! But my friend takes things kinda personal and tends to get jealous over stupid stuff. He's the kind of friend who would wake up at 2am to bail you out of jail though, and has been with me through thick and thin. I'm hoping its not an issue, but im curious if any of you have run into similar circumstances

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: sqiggy] #6390213 08/01/16 02:03 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Just don't show the pics!!! Pretty simple.

This. I am pretty stingy about showing trail camera photos. And I own the place. You don't have to share everything you know. Just part of hunting and fishing - always has been.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: scalebuster] #6390217 08/01/16 02:04 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

My main concern would be having a friend whose own parents charge him to hunt on their land. It sounds like his own folks don't like him.

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: scalebuster] #6390223 08/01/16 02:07 PM
Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman

My main concern would be having a friend whose own parents charge him to hunt on their land. It sounds like his own folks don't like him.

They have had the land leased to hunters for 16 years, he requested they terminate the lease a few months ago so himself and friends could hunt there. We pay the taxes on the land, thats it. So its not like they are making money off us. Im all for parents making kids work for stuff

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390238 08/01/16 02:18 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Don't show any photos of big bucks. I you feel you have to show some photos, delete the big buck ones and just show the normal does and little bucks. Then when you kill a big one, just say, man..I have never seen that buck before.
I was in your spot once where we all had our own area to hunt and feed. I showed photos of a buck coming in, all kinds of people started hunting my stand when I was not there even though we had an agreement not to. Needless to say the big buck was killed and not by me. But I was told it was shot at another stand on the other side of the lease. Maybe...but most likely it was shot out of my stand.
I got off the lease after two years.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390239 08/01/16 02:19 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Been a while since I lease hunted but we had a lot of the same kinda drama. Follow the rules is all I can say. If he is a good friend and you enjoy hunting on the place don't get to bent out of shape yourself because it will just escalate things even more. Every one who paid their dues on the lease has every bit as much right as the next guy to do whatever they want, within the rules of the lease and the law. A lot of things were done by other lease members on our last lease that I didn't agree with, things stayed civil and happy because we kept our mouth shut. All in all its deer hunting, go have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390244 08/01/16 02:26 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Everybody is equal but he's gonna be just a little more equal. Thats just the way it is. If I had to deal with drama, I just wouldn't deer hunt. It aint worth it. Just be quiet and maybe put out another camera looking at your stand. Just for clarification on whats really going on.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390246 08/01/16 02:30 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
What do the rules state- does everyone hunt their own area or is everywhere open to everybody. If everyone has their own spot then the worst thing anyone can do is set up next to your "boundary" and hope to see one before you do. How much land are we talking about anyway. Bucks are going to roam, especially during the rut so just because you see him on camera now doesn't mean you will see him during the season- he may show up in someone else's hunting area. Sounds to me like there are some maturity problems involved here also. Is it worth losing a friendship over a deer? You said he was the type of friend that you can call at 2am to bail you out of jail. If he was a real good friend he would be in the cell along with you....

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390289 08/01/16 03:11 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Y'all are all probably seeing the same big bucks, but nobody is telling anybody else. Heck, they may be seeing better bucks than you are seeing and just not saying anything.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6390293 08/01/16 03:16 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Y'all are all probably seeing the same big bucks, but nobody is telling anybody else. Heck, they may be seeing better bucks than you are seeing and just not saying anything.

Agreed, this is not drama more like slight hysterics to me. If pastures are not HF'd, then deer are moving around a property/properties than most may think.

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390294 08/01/16 03:17 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Don't share your pictures unless you are all hunting all the sets. Even then not a good idea.

If he is new to hunting help him all you can to not mess his set up or yours.

Keep the pics of the nice bucks to yourself and you can show them when they're DRT. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390306 08/01/16 03:25 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
How big is the place? We rarely get consistent pics of the same buck at the same feeder. They will show up randomly at all of ours and the neighbors. We have over 1,000 acres and they move around a lot where we are. Some places are not like that but ours is so it is total luck for us and doesn't matter who knows what is on what camera. We have community blinds. Never liked or would ever be on a place that wasn't open blinds. That seems really weird you would even do that on a friends place. How old is this jealous friend?

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390307 08/01/16 03:25 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Don't lie or be deceitful. Just hunt harder and longer than the other guys and the odds are in your favor. Pretty basic.

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390314 08/01/16 03:28 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
If something like this is a problem what does the future hold for you?

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: scalebuster] #6390322 08/01/16 03:37 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Deer lease issues arise less often when personal relationships between lease members become more important than deer. The challenge is finding guys and gals who care more about their friendships than they do about killing trophies.

When lease members see each other as little more than people sharing the cost of the lease, there will be drama.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390404 08/01/16 05:15 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: deftsound
Just curious how you guys handle your hunting lease agreements. Im on a lease with 3 other guys, one of which whos family owns the land. He is my best friend of many years and I am wanting to learn some tips from yall on how to best handle the lease so we all get along.

I am afraid to show anyone my game camera pics because we have all established where we are hunting and setup feeder pens among other things. In-fact, i was the last one on the lease and didn't even really get to choose my spot, although im very happy with where im setup at. So far no one else has really seen any big bucks but I have 2 or 3 really nice 8 points coming. Im afraid if i tell them, they will want to move their spots to where im at...hah. I know it sounds trivial but im not really sure how to handle the situation. We've all payed our money up-front to hunt, even my friend who's parents own the land. But, im also afraid he will begin to treat the lease like its his, since his parents own it, even though we all payed the same amount to hunt there and signed the same agreement. He also has a tendency to get jealous over things and im afraid if he doesn't see any deer he will get butt-hurt over it and it will create friction. BTW, he is NOT an experienced hunter, which is why im concerned.

How do yall quell any drama on your lease and have you ever run into problems where people get jealous over deer?

Again, i know this may sound trivial to some, but i don't want this to ruin our friendship

confused2 jealous over deer ? have seen & heard of these so called drama's dueling over who shot what... 2cents its a deer lease... As pappy once said: not everyone pays the same ... while each member may pay same price, not every ones paycheck (income) tis the same... This is were the biggest problem arises with the added restrictions on the trouphy racks... Tis easy for a richer person (high class) ta pass on a deer than a (lower class) hunter... rofl this thread tis about showing game cam pic ... scratch hate ta see a friendship get ruined over something as simple as that... Hope every thing works out okay, every one should have a say at the meetings then tis up ta the individual to decided... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: don k] #6390420 08/01/16 05:27 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: don k
If something like this is a problem what does the future hold for you?

It is only going to get worse and at some point end the friendship. I know this from experience. If you value the friendship get off the lease after this year.

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390444 08/01/16 05:44 PM
TX_LT230FH Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: deftsound
So far no one else has really seen any big bucks

I'd be willing to bet that's not the case. Follow their lead, don't discuss everything you have photos of.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390460 08/01/16 05:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Lots of needless "holier than thou" responses on this thread.

Real friends who understand hunting and fishing also respect the right everyone has either to tell or not tell everything they know.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390467 08/01/16 05:59 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
At my old lease the rule was no one could hunt in others blinds until 4 weekends had passed, or something like that. Someone had shot at a big buck and missed. Well I was out there later and told that we couldn't shoot it if we saw it because it was "his" buck

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390481 08/01/16 06:07 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
If discussing deer ages is important to you then it will be difficult when not sharing pics. Someone will shoot a young deer very soon if they're inexperienced as you say

Re: Hunting lease drama [Re: ] #6390483 08/01/16 06:11 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
If you cant tell people on your lease especially a friend then that's a tough spot... respect and friend is suppose to go together...

Now family is different... don't let them even get a wiff of it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide