6241993 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6388220 - 07/30/16 11:34 AM Lab pup question
CenTex Offline
Tracker

Loc: Waco
Shouldn't be the one asking this question as this is my third lab. Hoping the THF brain trust can help me out. What is the best way to stop or break a lab puppy from chewing. He is 6 months old.

#6388444 - 07/30/16 03:54 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
Originally Posted By: CenTex
Shouldn't be the one asking this question as this is my third lab. Hoping the THF brain trust can help me out. What is the best way to stop or break a lab puppy from chewing. He is 6 months old.

What's he chewing on?

Does he have options of things he's allowed to chew on?

Is he kennel trained?

I try and keep everything put up but the things allowed to be chewed on. If its furniture my reaction would be a stern NO and with that alone they usually get the idea after a couple of times. If it persists maybe muzzle grab and NO! My pup is also never allowed to be by herself out of her kennel. At 6 months he's probably teething so make sure he has some other safe options of things to chew on.

Edited by BradyBuck (07/30/16 03:59 PM)

#6388671 - 07/30/16 07:41 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
ken starling Offline
Woodsman

We are using rawhide from Wal Mart. They are about 4x4 square and seems to be helping, she still tries to chew , like Bradybuck said, a stern no and she usually stops.

Mine is 12 weeks old.

#6388680 - 07/30/16 07:49 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
scalebuster Offline
Pro Tracker

If he's chewing something he's not supposed to, tell him no and pick him up by the ears and beat the sht out of him while still saying no repeatedly. Say whatever you want to but this will work.

#6388833 - 07/30/16 09:44 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
Leonardo Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Wise County
Puppies will be puppies but bored dogs tend to get into trouble. All above will help

#6388951 - 07/31/16 12:24 AM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
CenTex Offline
Tracker

Thank you all for the advice. I'll keep working on him. He is being kennel trained and does have items he is allowed to chew on. If one of my three young kids leaves anything on the ground when we are not watching or he is outside, it gets destroyed.

#6389053 - 07/31/16 08:16 AM Re: Lab pup question [Re: scalebuster]
ntxtrapper Offline
Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
If he's chewing something he's not supposed to, tell him no and pick him up by the ears and beat the sht out of him while still saying no repeatedly. Say whatever you want to but this will work.

So will screaming no and stabbing him with a knife. Dolt.

#6389133 - 07/31/16 09:50 AM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
Thank you all for the advice. I'll keep working on him. He is being kennel trained and does have items he is allowed to chew on. If one of my three young kids leaves anything on the ground when we are not watching or he is outside, it gets destroyed.

I have two small children and I am constantly reminding them to keep their doors shut so she can't get anything. Fortunalty I have been able to take away most of it before she can destroy it. I also started using the "place" and "stay" command in the evening. Once the kids are in bed and I just want to sit down and not have to worry about her.
I put her on a dog bed in the living room with a chew toy...say place and stay. I don't care if she sits or lays down or stands as long as she doesn't get off the bed.

I don't use the "stay" command for any thing else but this. It may take a few days of being consistent but it's nice to not have to worry what they are getting into.

After you take away the item he shouldn't have give him something he can chew on. This will help him understand that it's ok to to chew on this but not that. If you are just getting on to him but not giving him something else all he knows is he's not supposed to chew on anything and that's just not feasible

#6389320 - 07/31/16 01:31 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
CenTex Offline
Tracker

Thank you!

#6389620 - 07/31/16 06:17 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: ntxtrapper]
scalebuster Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

So will screaming no and stabbing him with a knife. Dolt.

I noticed you didn't add anything positive to the thread. I live over in Young county between Bryson and Graham off of Cement Mountain road. If you would like to stop by I can show you a kennel full of well trained animals and give you some dog training tips. If you would like to stop by just to mouth off I can give you some lessons in manners as well. I'm always willing to help someone out.

#6389751 - 07/31/16 08:05 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
Sweese Offline
Woodsman

Loc: North Texas
Offer up a "no" for those things that are not to be chewed and replace them with something that is good to be chewed. This is a time to use up all of your old shoes, cardboard boxes, etc.

Also, get your puppy out more and exercise them. Puppies tend to chew less when they are tired.

Jay

#6389936 - 07/31/16 10:31 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
CenTex Offline
Tracker

Good advice!

#6389941 - 07/31/16 10:39 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: CenTex]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
Mine is just over a year. She gets a chew nightly. The problem is when I'm out of town working. My wife doesn't work her and after a few days of boredom something receives the punishment for my neglect. Most of the time though daily chews keep her satisfied chewing wise.

Speaking of which, it's time for hers. G'night y'all.
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#6392040 - 08/02/16 03:31 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: Sweese]
mattyg06 Offline
Bird Dog

Originally Posted By: Sweese
Offer up a "no" for those things that are not to be chewed and replace them with something that is good to be chewed. This is a time to use up all of your old shoes, cardboard boxes, etc.

Also, get your puppy out more and exercise them. Puppies tend to chew less when they are tired.

This is how my dog is....she doesn't chew unless she has too much built up energy and nothing to do.

#6392082 - 08/02/16 03:53 PM Re: Lab pup question [Re: BradyBuck]
nyalubwe Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Montana
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck

I have two small children and I am constantly reminding them to keep their doors shut so she can't get anything. Fortunalty I have been able to take away most of it before she can destroy it. I also started using the "place" and "stay" command in the evening. Once the kids are in bed and I just want to sit down and not have to worry about her.
I put her on a dog bed in the living room with a chew toy...say place and stay. I don't care if she sits or lays down or stands as long as she doesn't get off the bed.

I don't use the "stay" command for any thing else but this. It may take a few days of being consistent but it's nice to not have to worry what they are getting into.

After you take away the item he shouldn't have give him something he can chew on. This will help him understand that it's ok to to chew on this but not that. If you are just getting on to him but not giving him something else all he knows is he's not supposed to chew on anything and that's just not feasible

Good advice here...children need more training than the dog. Giving the dog something they are allowed to chew on is a biggie. Trainers call it redirecting. It is the dog's nature to think if it is left lying where he can get at it, then it must be for him.

If he's chewing furniture legs etc. a bit of bitter apple spray ( found in any pet store) helps out in most cases.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide