Page 1 of 2 1 2
40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre #6375256 07/20/16 01:31 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
40.11 Acre Beaver Bottoms Ranch priced for quick sale at under $2,450 an acre.

Located 12 miles east of Centerville, Texas in Leon County, and three miles south of Hwy. 7. Coming off Hwy. 7 the terrain drops about 300 feet into a heavily forested hardwood bottom. Pine Creek runs through the property, joining Beaver Dam Creek just south of the property, and that runs into the Trinity River 3.5 miles away. The Beaver Dam Marsh is 1/2 mile away and it's the site of prehistoric Caddo Indian artifacts that show this being an important hunting area for the tribe.

I’m in the wildlife habitat restoration business and had bought the property from a guy here in Cypress where I live. He had acquired it in a business deal but never hunted it. I haven’t hunted it either. My plans were to set it up for the grandkids but meanwhile my son and I went in together to buy a property that borders land he owns about 3 miles to the south. So that became a game changer as there is lots of work to do there and I don’t have the time, or need to keep this one.

The property is prime habitat for deer, squirrel, and hogs, located 1/2 mile from the Langley Ranch and 3 miles from the Smith Ranch, both nationally known for their high quality hog hunts. Rick Knipe, Regional Biologist for Texas Parks and Wildlife (903-536-7122) can tell you that the Trinity River bottoms hosts not only large numbers of deer, but plenty of massive bucks that are very smart and hard to fool. Don't expect to get a shot at one like this Monster that was taken down stream from the property, but know that they exist.

Starting with an overgrown jungle, I removed most of the non-food trees (sweetgum, ash, etc.) as well as some of the oaks that were badly leaning or too close to each other. That left a variety of oaks and pecans that will be producing more heavily now. Lots of various size thickets where saved for deer resting areas and the tree tops were piled which provide deer bedding along side them. Eventually the tree tops will decompose and add nutrients to the soil.

The creek area was all ash trees which has been cleared making for great food plot areas. It would be an easy project to add a low levee at the south end of the creek to hold water for duck hunting.

I have the property in a Forestry Management exemption with the county, so total annual taxes are only $51.46. It’s also registered with the state which gives you a sales tax exemption on many things you might buy that’s related to forestry. The management plan and sales tax exception will be transferred to the new owner. The existing ranch name can be retained or changed.

The firm price is $98k with me picking up all the closing costs. You will find this to be the cheapest land currently being offered in Leon County. (I've dithered long enough wanting to keep this land as an investment, but I really need to spend my time working on the new property and I need to roll some funds into the project).

The transfer can be done at Guarantee Title in Centerville without having to pay realtor fees, unless you want to pay for that. The survey is still good with the property lines going out to the center of the private roads which border three sides of the property. The northern border is well marked with PVC pipes.

Don't hesitate to send me an email, or call me with any questions. For serious buyers I will be glad to give you a tour of the property.

Ralph Robbins
713-249-8892

Email: AvianQuest@USA.com

Directions: From Centerville, drive 12 miles east on Hwy and turn right on 149. Turn left at the Tee and then take the right fork. Continue on 149 until you can make a right turn on 148. Continue on 148 and after the last house on the right and the crawfish ponds, 148 becomes a private road. Continue until you come to a gate and then turn right and drive 1/3rd mile and on your right you will see a 2" diameter white PVC marking the north property line. There is another marker on the west side road and a line of PVC pipe markers all the way across the north side.

40.11 Area Map...

Property...

Plot Map...

Private road on east side of property. One of the neighboring landowners has a dozer and tractor on site and each summer he spends some time dressing up the roads...

Last edited by AvianQuest; 08/01/16 03:57 AM.
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6375259 07/20/16 01:33 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
An access road into the property runs south to north. Posts have been installed ready for a standard 16 foot gate if you want...

Woods

Pine Creek when dry...

Pine Creek after a good rain...

About Leon County...

Leon County is located halfway between the big population centers of Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth. Land prices rise steadily as you go north or south of Leon County.

Although land values are on the rise in Leon County, it offers some of the best land deals in East Texas, be it ranch land, residential, or hunting property, or as a great investment.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6376584 07/21/16 12:48 AM
F
fishon1017 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Looks like a place that has been forested. Still lots of cover from surrounding properties but that might not last long. The price is too high for me for that area but you will sell it. thanks for posting.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6379378 07/23/16 03:00 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
The last two land sales have gone for $3,000 an acre with current nearby offerings running from $2,950 to $7,117 an acre...

http://circle-t-realty.com/property-view.php?listingID=2294

http://schwabrealty.com/view.php?rel_id=946

If you will look at the photos (taken last Saturday) the place is covered in trees. What is missing is the jungle that had over grown the property. The trees are now able to triple their crop of acorns and pecans for wildlife.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6381225 07/25/16 12:09 AM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
how close is the nearest electricity?

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: woodduckhunter] #6381797 07/25/16 02:58 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: woodduckhunter

how close is the nearest electricity?

Electricity ends at the crawfish farm where CR-148 turns into a private road and then following the west side private road to the northwest corner of the property, it's 1.37 miles

If you want to camp out on the property, a generator would be an alternative.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 07/25/16 02:58 PM.
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6382305 07/25/16 09:39 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
That is a great deal for a recreational property on Beaver Creek. I sold a 144 acre tract last year (raw land in the flood plain), very close to yours, for $3,250 per acre. This will sell quick.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: Eland Slayer] #6387073 07/29/16 04:10 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer
That is a great deal for a recreational property on Beaver Creek. I sold a 144 acre tract last year (raw land in the flood plain), very close to yours, for $3,250 per acre. This will sell quick.

Thanks for the input Eland!

I wonder if you have heard any conversation about the proposed high speed rail project that is to pass through Leon County with trains speeding by at 220 MPH?

The route is going to be west of I-45 which won't have any impact on the land I own since I'm on the east side of I-45. But I was overhearing a lunch conversation by a lawyer who is opposed to the project and he was saying there will be a lot of landowners on the west side either selling out to the train people or selling and moving to the east side of the county which will result in higher demand and thus higher property prices to the east of I-45. He said there's also some serious money that going to be invested in land on the east side for this reason.

The losers are going to be landowners who don't have the trains going through their property, but rather they will have to put up with the noise which apparently is considerable and they won't get a dime out of it plus their land values will plummet.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 07/29/16 07:59 PM.
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6387898 07/30/16 02:42 AM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
from my understanding, the fast train is still very much so in the planning process. where the stop in the middle of Houston to dallas is will be the key.

Last edited by woodduckhunter; 07/30/16 02:45 AM.
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6388205 07/30/16 04:10 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
It appears that the access road must cross the creek, how does that work when the creek is up?

Given the amount of work you've put into it I'd say your price is fair but let me ask, if you sell to a city slicker like me who doesn't lift a finger to maintain it, how long until the jungle takes back over?

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6388925 07/31/16 04:30 AM
D
daulongranch Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
What mineral rights come with the property? I know they have done some gas drilling around that area. My dad used to have a place north of Hwy.7.

Thanks. I know the area has deer. I watched 7 cross a powerline clearing one cold, damp morning. They were moving on and I never got a shot.

daulongranch - Live in Rowlett - Ranch in Concho County

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-- Thomas Jefferson
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: Pig_Popper] #6391036 08/02/16 01:44 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
It appears that the access road must cross the creek, how does that work when the creek is up?

The roads across the creek are elevated with culverts under them. You don't have to cross the creek to get to the property as about 3/4th of it is on the west side of the creek and easily accessed by the west and south roads and the access road that runs south to north into the property.

Quote:
Given the amount of work you've put into it I'd say your price is fair but let me ask, if you sell to a city slicker like me who doesn't lift a finger to maintain it, how long until the jungle takes back over?

Opening up the canape will allow lots of sapling oaks to start growing, but I wouldn't worry about it going into jungle anytime soon.

If you want to keep the Forestry tax exemption there are things (easy) you should do like spraying invasive trees like Chinese tallow and honey locust. Basically you become a tree farmer and every 20 years or so you need to get a local logger to come in and remove the non-food bearing trees and any oaks that are leaning or need thinned. The logger pays you a set price by the ton and he does all the work. In 20 years that could bring in $10,000 to $20,000.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: daulongranch] #6391044 08/02/16 01:50 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: daulongranch

What mineral rights come with the property?

None, I don't own them. Investors and companies started buying up mineral rights in Leon County decades ago. It's rare to see anyone selling land around her who has the mineral rights to it, and if they do it's hard to put a value on it if nothing has been drilled.

Take it for what it's worth, but talking to some of the local oil guys they say the cost of doing seismic work in heavy forested land wouldn't happen unless oil comes up to over $100 a barrel.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 08/02/16 02:03 AM.
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6392275 08/02/16 11:09 PM
CivilianTactical Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Sent you a PM.

"Beware of the man with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it"
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6393161 08/03/16 04:51 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
What a difference two weeks makes.

Note the above photo of Pine Creek after it dried out, and then the photo below taken yesterday showing lush new growth of coffee bean and smartweed which the ducks will go after if it floods up this winter along with lots of forbs for the deer to eat...

Last edited by AvianQuest; 08/03/16 07:59 PM.
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6393212 08/03/16 05:24 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
cheers That's a prime time area

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6397008 08/06/16 09:14 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
A word about the hardwood bottomlands…

Bottomland hardwood forests are the most biologically productive ecosystems on land. The river itself is the lifeblood of the bottoms, flowing across the floodplain during spring floods and leaving behind soil, seeds from upstream forests, and sediments that become natural fertilizer for plants. These rich moist soils nourish an explosion of diversity.

The many vital functions that bottomland hardwood forests, taken together, provide “services” that economists estimate would cost billions of dollars per year to replace. Sadly, more than 85% of Texas’ original bottomland hardwood forests have been lost to conversation to cattle pastures or drowned under dozens of reservoirs. “Improved” pastures substitute a single species of grass, usually non-native and unpalatable to wildlife, in place of once-diverse habitat. Of all the habitat types, hardwood bottomland would be the most costly to restore and would take 100 years of effort.

East Texas bottomland hardwood forests support at least 273 species of birds, 116 species of fish, 31 of amphibians, 54 reptiles, and 45 mammals, supporting a multi-million dollar recreation industry – hunting, fishing, birding, hiking, paddling, photography, biking, and nature tourism.

White-tail deer especially benefit from the ready crops of acorns and nuts from the abundant trees including willow oak, overcup oak, bur oak, water oak, cherrybark oak, nutall oak, post oak, black hickory, bitternut hickory, and pecan as well as forbs and various plants that are found in the bottomlands. Abundant thickets and brush provide resting cover and there is always water in the river during periods of drought.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6399573 08/09/16 12:42 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Interesting...

The top real estate company in Centerville just put a listing online for a property located 0.37 miles northeast of my property...

"20.5 acres of prime hunting land in the Trinity River bottom. Everyone knows the big bucks in Leon county come from the river bottom. This tract is perfect to hold animals with big Oak trees full of acorns and a nice stock tank for the game to drink from. There have been a number of large bucks killed in this area over the years."

At $56,000 that's $2,732 an acre and I'm only asking $2,444 for mine.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6403398 08/11/16 01:51 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Pig_Popper, this is the entrance road over the creek you asked about...

This is where the entrance road comes to the gate referenced in the posted directions. At this point you turn right on a road that's not in the picture...

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6409333 08/15/16 08:57 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
I've had a couple of enquirers ask about leasing the property. But none of the other property owners in this area have leased out their hunting property and I don't want to be the first one to do so. I'm sure prospective buyers will start getting serious when the weather starts cooling off.

I would really like to sell it now, which is reflected in the price, but on the other hand annual taxes are less than $60 and land prices in the area are going nowhere but up so hanging on to the property for awhile is certainly an option.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6414582 08/18/16 08:56 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: AvianQuest

Interesting...

The top real estate company in Centerville just put a listing online for a property located 0.37 miles northeast of my property...

"20.5 acres of prime hunting land in the Trinity River bottom. Everyone knows the big bucks in Leon county come from the river bottom. This tract is perfect to hold animals with big Oak trees full of acorns and a nice stock tank for the game to drink from. There have been a number of large bucks killed in this area over the years."

At $56,000 that's $2,732 an acre and I'm only asking $2,444 for mine.

Well, that was online for only 8 days before becoming a pending sale. That's the power in listing with a local real estate agent with a good website...

circle-t-realty.com/property_results.php?type=tofiftyacres&sortby=acreage

But either the buyer or the seller has to pay the 6% commission. If I list it with an agent then I'm upping the price by $6,000 which is still a great deal.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 08/18/16 09:02 PM.
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6415850 08/19/16 06:07 PM
T
T3 Surf Rods Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
great prices, i own some land, just pass the fence.

Last edited by T3 Surf Rods; 08/19/16 06:07 PM.
Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6418150 08/21/16 04:50 PM
D
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
It may be prime land,,, it is not prime hunting land ----- with all of your neighbors hunting on their 20 acres,,, it is very unlikely you will kill anything.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: AvianQuest] #6418235 08/21/16 05:52 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
with what dune said, everybody likes to talk about all of these big trinity river bottom bucks since the young girl killed a two hundred whatever it was 20 miles down river. What nobody throws out there is that the exact property(2200+) acres is leased to one man for deer hunting, and another for ducks after deer season. the surrounding properties are either prison that isn't hunted, or other tracts over a thousand acres that are lightly hunted by family only....it's what makes the difference.

Re: 40.11 Acres Prime Hunting Land under $2,450 an acre [Re: dune2218] #6419091 08/22/16 03:32 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: dune2218
It may be prime land,,, it is not prime hunting land ----- with all of your neighbors hunting on their 20 acres,,, it is very unlikely you will kill anything.

Not the case. When big tracts of land are surveyed, they are cut up like that, but there's only a handful of land owners in this area with maybe a couple of them owning as little as 20 acres. Most everyone owns several parcels with some owning hundreds of acres, and there are landholdings of thousands of acres surrounding this area.

Nearly all the landowners live in the Houston or Dallas area and most have various other places they hunt, or they just hunt on certain days of the week. Hunting pressure is even lighter considering that large areas go un-hunted. There is a vast area on the west side of me that's being held as an investment and I've never seen any hunting activity to the east side or south of my property. The landowner to my north is strictly a trophy hunter who told me that he won't shoot anything that won't be going on the wall and he has some pretty strict requirements.

This is all stuff I checked out before buying the property. I talked to the local game wardens, the area biologist, some of the landowners, and the guy with the crawfish farm who knows everyone and everyone drives by his house on the way in and out.

Among the great things about this jewel of an ecosystem is that it will never be lost to development or be at the whelm of a person leasing it to you. I've been burned personally, and as a person in the wildlife habitat business I've seen many cases where folks have leased land for years only to have it pulled out from under them. My latest personal involvement was managing 40,000 acres for a non-profit hunting club for over 15 years. It all came to an end when the landowner's family members forced having the land cutup so that everyone got their share to sell and spend now, thus ending our lease.

Land ownership is the way to go folks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide