475524 Topics
6238047 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6385757 - 07/28/16 10:59 AM Shotgun Recommendation
Le Général de Canards Offline
Green Horn

As I mentioned in my introduction (which appears to have been deleted...???), I recently moved to the South from New England. Waterfowl hunting down here looks to be entirely different than what I am used to and I am looking into buying a new shotgun for use this season.

Back home, I usually shoot a pretty typical Krieghoff or Holland and Holland. Some of my associates favor Blasers, but that's never been my preference.

From my research, I have concluded that hunting down here is a little more, shall we say "rugged", and will require a different tool for the job.

Any recommendations on a good shotgun that I can beat up for a season and then dispose of? Of course, I remain a traditional hunter and would prefer to stay with a traditional gun. No pumps or autos, please. I prefer a side-by-side, but an O/U will suffice. Perhaps something like a Beretta S3 EELL?

I sincerely thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

T. Wellington IV, PhD

#6385775 - 07/28/16 11:10 AM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
Barny Topwater Online   content
red bone Bob

Loc: New Braunfels TX USA
If your Krieghoff and H&H have fixed chokes you just need to shoot Bizmuth or Tungston Matrix shot shells. I can't imagine either of those two would have any type of handicap here. You have to realize both of the shotguns you mention cost more than most of us make a year.

#6385787 - 07/28/16 11:14 AM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Temple, tx
If you can hit anything, you are only looking at shooting about 10 shots --max --to get your limit, After extensive research on my part, I have concluded ------- shoot what you like, it really makes no difference.
D. Bousquet V, PhD

#6385847 - 07/28/16 12:02 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Belton Tx
I know you said no auto's but look at the Benelli Cordoba there tough guns

#6385873 - 07/28/16 12:41 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
aggiegadwall Offline
Tracker

I like love to have hunters that could shoot 10 shots and have a limit. Shoot I'd probably discount a hunt for that. HA

Personally all I shoot and my guides shoot are benellis. Nothing against gas guns or 2 shooters. They are just very dependable in the elements and don't have to be cleaned as often during the season. Plus I like the 3rd shot

#6385877 - 07/28/16 12:44 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
sallysue Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Belton Tx
I treat my benelli like a tool

#6385894 - 07/28/16 12:58 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
oilag Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Houston, TX
No way this guy is for real. troll

#6385899 - 07/28/16 01:04 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
mattyg06 Offline
Bird Dog

That Beretta S3 EELL looks like it will do the job down here. It is not a great gun like those others you mentioned earlier but it would make a great disposable gun for someone like yourself. I have a nice property that we duck hunt and I will trade you a few hunts for that gun after you are finished with it at the end of the year. I think you will find that you won't find much of a better deal around here.

#6385982 - 07/28/16 02:30 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
68A Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: North Texas
I feel your pain. When it rains I have to leave the Lamborghini and Bugatti in the garage, then I am forced to drive these "rugged" streets in a Bentley.

Obviously money is no object, buy whatever you want.

Btw, I think some democrat hacked your sig line, or you should have your head checked.

#6385999 - 07/28/16 02:44 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
mattyg06 Offline
Bird Dog

Come'on guys... quit picking on him.

Le General don't worry I will show you the ropes for one of those disposable guns.

#6386061 - 07/28/16 03:28 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: mattyg06]
Green Horn

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
That Beretta S3 EELL looks like it will do the job down here. It is not a great gun like those others you mentioned earlier but it would make a great disposable gun for someone like yourself. I have a nice property that we duck hunt and I will trade you a few hunts for that gun after you are finished with it at the end of the year. I think you will find that you won't find much of a better deal around here.

Thank you. I may just take you up on that offer. I take it you think the S3 EELL will hold up okay? That's good to know. I'll have my man locate one for me and I'll give it a shot.

Regards,

T. Wellington IV, PhD

Edited by Le Général de Canards (07/28/16 03:35 PM)

#6386075 - 07/28/16 03:34 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: 68A]
Green Horn

Originally Posted By: 68A
I feel your pain. When it rains I have to leave the Lamborghini and Bugatti in the garage, then I am forced to drive these "rugged" streets in a Bentley.

Obviously money is no object, buy whatever you want.

Btw, I think some democrat hacked your sig line, or you should have your head checked.

I'd rather not get into political discussions here. I am fully aware that I am in a different political climate down here and although I think that I would find success in imparting a more enlightened worldview to many of you, this probably isn't the place to do so.

Regards,

T. Wellington IV, PhD

Edited by Le Général de Canards (07/28/16 03:34 PM)

#6386086 - 07/28/16 03:40 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: sallysue]
Green Horn

Originally Posted By: sallysue

I sincerely thank you for your recommendation, but I would like to stick to a traditional side-by-side or O/U if possible. When we hunt at our modest property on the Shore, we still wear traditional hunting attire (even a tie). Autos and pump-action guns are generally looked down upon in those circles. I do not necessarily agree, but as they say..."when in Rome." Although I will be hunting down here this season, I would like to stay true to those ideals as I will have hunting companions from back East joining me most hunts.

Regards,

T. Wellington IV, PhD

#6386109 - 07/28/16 04:03 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
mattyg06 Offline
Bird Dog

What field did you get your PhD in?

#6386112 - 07/28/16 04:08 PM Re: Shotgun Recommendation [Re: Le Général de Canards]
rickym Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: Le Général de Canards
Originally Posted By: sallysue

I sincerely thank you for your recommendation, but I would like to stick to a traditional side-by-side or O/U if possible. When we hunt at our modest property on the Shore, we still wear traditional hunting attire (even a tie). Autos and pump-action guns are generally looked down upon in those circles. I do not necessarily agree, but as they say..."when in Rome." Although I will be hunting down here this season, I would like to stay true to those ideals as I will have hunting companions from back East joining me most hunts.

Regards,

T. Wellington IV, PhD

Although yall target entirely different birds, I believe you and Bill Oxner would get along great. He's a quail hunting purist here on the forum.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide