Page 1 of 2 1 2
Too much ammo? #6380653 07/24/16 03:37 PM
C
Cool Mo D Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
A friend of a friend ordered 1K of 223 ammo. After ammo arrived, DHS showed up and asked guy WTH are you doing with so much ammo? Anyone else? Thoughts.

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6380663 07/24/16 03:47 PM
Y
yotehater Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Y
That isn't very much ammo for DHS to be concerned with. Did they want to look around his place? That is rather strange and alarming to be happening in east tx. .

One shot is all it should take.
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6380686 07/24/16 04:06 PM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
No offense but I call BS. I'd need more details and facts other than something from a friend of a friend. I won't say how much ammo I have but I often sell thousands of rounds on this and other boards if I need a little money and - what I sell, isn't a drop in the bucket of what I have. I've never had any visits or calls. And there are people out there that make my stash look like Walmart shelves after Sandy Hook.

Not to say checks like this won't happen - my fear is they will one day, but I've not heard of them yet and there is no current law that says one has "too much".

Last edited by Earl; 07/24/16 04:14 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6380927 07/24/16 08:45 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I would say your friend's friend has an active imagination. I know people who order more than that pretty regularly and no one has ever checked them.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6380980 07/24/16 09:20 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
People order pallets of ammo its none of their business what its for.

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6381280 07/25/16 01:03 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
If that is true, they need to set outside of Academy and question everyone that is buying a bulk box.
Unless your friend's friend has a reason for someone to be watching him.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Earl] #6382994 07/26/16 12:52 PM
C
Cool Mo D Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Earl
No offense but I call BS. I'd need more details and facts other than something from a friend of a friend. I won't say how much ammo I have but I often sell thousands of rounds on this and other boards if I need a little money and - what I sell, isn't a drop in the bucket of what I have. I've never had any visits or calls. And there are people out there that make my stash look like Walmart shelves after Sandy Hook.

Not to say checks like this won't happen - my fear is they will one day, but I've not heard of them yet and there is no current law that says one has "too much".

That was my first thought. Thanks all.

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Earl] #6383112 07/26/16 02:26 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Earl

Agreed, I know a few folks that carry more inventory in their home than any local sporting goods store has on hand at one time. Never been bothered.

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6383189 07/26/16 03:41 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
BS

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: ntxtrapper] #6390938 08/02/16 12:37 AM
C
Cool Mo D Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
BS

Thank you.

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6397330 08/07/16 03:37 AM
B
BushFamilyNine Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Sometimes those visits happen as part of an investigation. We had a pizza chain up here involved in arms trafficking. The owners and employees were buying the two per week limit of handguns and also buying a bunch privately. They had the firearms packaged up in pizza boxes and had a container full headed for somewhere in the Middle East. They got caught by customs officials, and a huge investigation resulted with many people being contacted about their private sales to make statements for evidence in the trial.

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6400793 08/09/16 08:47 PM
91cavgt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have had friends that have had visits from dhs after large ammo purchases (more than 5k rounds at one place), but they were ex military and the positions they held made them be scrutinized closely for any large purchase like this.

God has a plan and something special in mind for all of us. Do you know the direction that God wants to send you?
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6405830 08/12/16 10:54 PM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Everyone knows the only time you can have to much ammo is when you are swimming.

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: 91cavgt] #6406661 08/13/16 06:22 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: 91cavgt
I have had friends that have had visits from dhs after large ammo purchases (more than 5k rounds at one place), but they were ex military and the positions they held made them be scrutinized closely for any large purchase like this.

I believe it is possible but I really have a hard time believing that. How can anyone know what you purchase
I have made several purchases of 3000-5000 rounds at different shops. I paid cash and walked out. There is no way anyone knows that I have it. If the government is watching ammo purchases, we have big problems.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Simple Searcher] #6407243 08/14/16 03:54 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

I believe it is possible but I really have a hard time believing that. How can anyone know what you purchase
I have made several purchases of 3000-5000 rounds at different shops. I paid cash and walked out. There is no way anyone knows that I have it. If the government is watching ammo purchases, we have big problems.

Perhaps a credit or debit card purchase? Or perhaps they are on another list already? I have never bought more that a 1000 rounds at any time, but maybe they have people on a list of possible problems. I seem to remember the government saying that veterans were the biggest threat to the country. ( Paraphrasing of course)

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6407344 08/14/16 11:58 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I don't blame the government for being concerned with large ammo purchases. Many may be legit guys doing business. But I bet they find several who are up to no good supplying it to folks who they shouldn't. It's like an officer asking me for my DL or LTC. If I'm legal I have nothing to fear showing it.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: passthru] #6407566 08/14/16 04:20 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: passthru
I don't blame the government for being concerned with large ammo purchases. Many may be legit guys doing business. But I bet they find several who are up to no good supplying it to folks who they shouldn't. It's like an officer asking me for my DL or LTC. If I'm legal I have nothing to fear showing it.

Mkay.........where are you from?

Make America Great Again

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: passthru] #6408423 08/15/16 02:37 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend

Supplying it to people who shouldn't have it? Who would that be? Plus there are no background checks for ammo purchases. So I don't really see the black market for ammo being that large when any tom dick or Harry can walk into Walmart and buy as much as they want or better yet buy it online anonymously.

[Linked Image]

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6411912 08/17/16 04:18 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
If I could afford it I would order shipping containers full of ammo every week. It's my own damn business what I do with it. Is there a legal ammo order limit? who regulates that? who enforces it? What is the penalty for having too much ammo? What now, am I "violating" an illegal executive order? What a load of horse $hi+ I blame the govt for most things that are wrong.

Last edited by westexhunt; 08/17/16 04:19 AM.
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Tbar] #6412517 08/17/16 05:29 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Tbar

Mkay.........where are you from?

Fort Worth. And it doesn't matter. Where you're from doesn't make you above the law. And there are many states that are much less restrictive tan Texas as far as gun laws. If you are buying large amounts of ammunition or guns and selling them to gangs, drug cartels and folks of that ilk than whether you bought it legally or not you deserve to be hung out to dry. This kind of thing happens every day. If I buy a pallet of ammunition and an ATF agent, or even the local fire cheif, wants to ask a few questions I do not have to be offended by it. Now if they take unwarranted legs action regarding it then there will be an issue.

Asking a few questions is not an infringement on your constitutional rights. The same people that want to cry foul on this sort of thing are the same ones who will attack the government when they don't stop a tragedy from occurring.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6417788 08/21/16 04:27 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
This is either total BS or there is some missing info that relates to the visit. It has never happened to me or anybody I know nor have I ever heard of such a thing.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Mickey Moose] #6419157 08/22/16 06:32 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
This is either total BS or there is some missing info that relates to the visit. It has never happened to me or anybody I know nor have I ever heard of such a thing.

I was thinking this very thing. Either that or something has changed recently.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Simple Searcher] #6419392 08/22/16 02:11 PM
91cavgt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

They purchased the ammo online due to a sale and got it shipped to them.

God has a plan and something special in mind for all of us. Do you know the direction that God wants to send you?
Re: Too much ammo? [Re: KRoyal] #6419401 08/22/16 02:16 PM
91cavgt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Supplying it to people who shouldn't have it? Who would that be? Plus there are no background checks for ammo purchases. So I don't really see the black market for ammo being that large when any tom dick or Harry can walk into Walmart and buy as much as they want or better yet buy it online anonymously.

You do know that you have it backwards, right? If you want to be annonymous, pay for ammo in cash at a brick and mortor store. Buying anything online leaves a trail that attaches your purchase to your home and to you.

Re: Too much ammo? [Re: Cool Mo D] #6476206 10/01/16 10:05 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
It happened too a friend's ex-wife's sister's daughter's boyfriend's brother once. roflmao

I can't believe you guys are even acknowledging something that ludicrous. If the gangs want ammo, they walk into the local sporting goods store and buy it. Period. Why would they pay somebody to buy it for them? Hilarious.

And as for the government checking on someone that made a large purchase by knocking on their door? Seriously? That's the biggest lie I've ever heard.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide