Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: BigPig] #6383429 07/26/16 07:21 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I just recently bought a CZ Bobwhite SxS in 20 gauge. They also make it in a 12. I've been bustin clays with it the past few weeks and I love it. Beautiful gun, points like an extension of my body. I'm really looking forward to using it this dove season.

Re: Shotgun time! [Re: BigPig] #6383771 07/27/16 12:19 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Anybody know anything about a Winchester SXP ? Can anyone compare the SXP to a Weatherby SA 08 Field & RS barrel.

Don't need the 3 1/2" ammo my SuperNova can use. Ain't gonna pay the $400 for a Benelli Rifled Slug barrel no way no how.

Looking at getting a SXP combo field barrel w/3 Invector chokes & a rifled slug barrel. Both barrels & the chamber are chrome lined. The RS barrel comes with fiber optic sights and the receiver is D&T'ed, instead of the barrel mounted cantilever arm as on some other brands. Comes either with a choice of matte low gloss wood or black synthetic grippy coarse finished stock. Priced in the $400+'s on line.

Just looking for something better built and feeling than a Mossberg 500 combo. Have had mebbe a dozen or more 870's since 1967, and not gonna go there either. BTDT

FWIW the best feeling shotgun I have shouldered recently is a new Ohio Made Ithaca 20guage Feather Weight, that comes with Briley chokes.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 07/27/16 12:27 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: BigPig] #6383801 07/27/16 12:39 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Ron, is the new Ithaca still 'bottom eject'? First shotgun I ever owned 50+ years ago, Mod. choke since screw ins hadn't been invented yet.....wish I had it back! P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: BigPig] #6383805 07/27/16 12:40 AM
B
bentman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Try the New Remington V3. They go for 799.00 It is a really nice gun. Any gun will work for "just a dove gun" but if put a lot of rounds down the pipe guns like a Stoeger & Franchi just do not hold up. I see them break a lot at the range.

If it bleeds I can KILL IT
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: BigPig] #6383888 07/27/16 01:34 AM
P
phat694 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I hunted (ducks/dove) with a Stoeger M2000 for many years never a problem. Last year I bought a SBE 2 with my Cabelas points and love'em both.

The SBE balanced and shoulders better for me than the Stoeger but for the price the Stoeger is an excellent value.

Last edited by phat694; 07/27/16 01:35 AM.

Patrick Casteel | REALTOR
Repeat Realty, LLC | Direct: 214-494-9265
patrick@repeatre.com | www.RepeatRealty.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: bentman] #6384034 07/27/16 03:49 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
102...Yup they are built off the original design down to the last screw by hand, but off all new machinery I'm told.
I've a number of Model 37's over the year and always favored them fit and feel wise. But with the increasing sales strength and reliability of self loaders pump guns have fallen out of favor. Witness remmy's dropping the polished blue/ good wood 870's for the butt ugly guns they sell today...and more than one Gunsmith ahs told me the gutds of the trigger group & bolt are no where close to be as well made as the Wingmasters were.

I grew up on pumps, mostly 870's, and as has been mentioned have tried to rip the forearm off of a self loader many times and gotten flustered eoungh to stop shooting and looked at the gun to see what was wrong...when I was was the problem.

With my screwed up vision having been greatly affected with the now 98% vision loss in my left eye that's TMI for here to get into, I've become a "spot shooter", instead using of a "pass shooter" type swing and pull through the target, I use the mechanical function of a pump to establish a new swing with a partial dismount and pulled the trigger when my eye sez I'm GTG as the butt hits my shoulder ...all in one motion.

The M37 Ithaca's trigger will go Bang when the pump stroke hits Battery when you keep the trigger depressed...IE so you can "Trombone " the gun PDQ without dismounting the gun off your shoulder. But it is the craftsmanship thet gives the old house shoe comfortable "fit and feel" of the little all steel 20 guage Featherlight that has captured my desire, and the smooth way this new M37 mounts and swings exactly the sam way the '37's I owned in the late '60's & '70'. Ducks, especially early season Teal, over decoys or jump shooting them off stock tank sneaks, a covey rise of quail, jumping rabbits in a briar patch ,those kind of shots that I had the most fun with 30-40 years ago is what the little Ithaca brings to mind.

What's caught my attention recently is that Winchester's SXP series claim to be able to get off 3 rounds in a super short time frame, like the old M37's could. Ck the homepage for their super quick 2nd shot claims that I've never seen from any other gunmaker. AND They also offer the Combo Pkg of a field gun and a Rifled Barrel's as an option package for about half the aftermarket cost of the slug barrel...and my Benelli's rifled slug barrel is over $400's ...or by itself, about the cost of a SXP Winnie 2 barrel combo....plus I ain't wearing guns out anymore from use the older I get. The days of shooting a case of shotgun ammo every weekend all fall are long gone.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 07/27/16 04:11 AM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: BigPig] #6384083 07/27/16 09:11 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Never knew that about the 37, (keeping trigger pulled), the Model 12 does the same. Still use my 12 (16 ga.) from time to time, it just fits. P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: BigPig] #6384158 07/27/16 12:23 PM
B
BigAL33 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Based upon your specifications, I think you would be a candidate for the new Remington V3 auto. I have not seen one yet in the gun shops but they should be on the shelves soon.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-gun-nuts/remington-v3-update-it%E2%80%99s-finally-here

Last edited by BigAL33; 07/27/16 12:25 PM.
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: WileyCoyote] #6384381 07/27/16 03:12 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Anybody know anything about a Winchester SXP ? Can anyone compare the SXP to a Weatherby SA 08 Field & RS barrel.

Don't need the 3 1/2" ammo my SuperNova can use. Ain't gonna pay the $400 for a Benelli Rifled Slug barrel no way no how.

Looking at getting a SXP combo field barrel w/3 Invector chokes & a rifled slug barrel. Both barrels & the chamber are chrome lined. The RS barrel comes with fiber optic sights and the receiver is D&T'ed, instead of the barrel mounted cantilever arm as on some other brands. Comes either with a choice of matte low gloss wood or black synthetic grippy coarse finished stock. Priced in the $400+'s on line.

Just looking for something better built and feeling than a Mossberg 500 combo. Have had mebbe a dozen or more 870's since 1967, and not gonna go there either. BTDT

FWIW the best feeling shotgun I have shouldered recently is a new Ohio Made Ithaca 20guage Feather Weight, that comes with Briley chokes.
Ron

If you look at prices the SXP, PA-08, 870 Express and 500 are real close. They are all about the same quality.
IMO you would need to step up to a BPS, Wingmaster or Ithaca to get a better pump than an 870 or 500.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Shotgun time! [Re: BigPig] #6384436 07/27/16 03:48 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
BigPig, if you are like most of us then fit is everything when shooting birds. If you currently have a pump you shoot well than I would try to find a semi that has the same DAC and DAH as the pump.

Most semi-auto shotguns made today are reliable and good quality. I don't care who makes the shotgun anymore, all I care about is fit. The SX3 is a great shotgun, mine are a discontinued model that have different stock dimensions than current models. So I won't be buying any new SX3's because they don't fit. The Maxus has the same stock dimensions as current SX3's and are made in the same factory. I have one and had to get a fairly expensive comb riser for it before I could shoot it.

The SA-08 and Affinity are great shotguns IMO and have the same stock dimensions so if you shoot one well you should be able to do so with the other.

The Beretta Outlander has a lower comb than any of the above mentioned guns so will fit quite a bit different. If it fits you well then the Browning/Winchesters probably won't. The Montefeltro comb is the same as the Weatherby and Franchi. The felt recoil will be about the same as the Affinity and more than the SA-08.

If the V3 fit it would probably be the shotgun I'd purchase do to its operating system. I'm not an expert but own or have owned most of the semi's mentioned.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide