Page 1 of 2 1 2
POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" #6375454 07/20/16 03:31 AM
N
Night Crew Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
N
We just wanted to get feedback from all the predator hunters out there who have attempted hunting coyotes both during the day as well as at night. The Underlying question of this poll is to see (based on your experiences) "which" takes more "skill" to effectively call and kill coyotes. They are two completely separate methods of hunting them and both require different skill sets however, which one is to be considered the most difficult is the question? Everyones opinion is valued in this thread as long as you have had experience attempting both day and night hunting for coyotes. Thanks for the input.

Night hunting professionals...
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6375462 07/20/16 03:34 AM
T
TPH Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Tough one, will have to ponder.

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6375676 07/20/16 01:19 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I've been predator hunting for 40 years. In my experience, day time hunting is more difficult. At night you have darkness as your concealment. During the day you have to be much more attuned to your movement and your surroundings. I don't have thermal night vision so night hunting is still done the old fashioned way with lights. The light in itself becomes your cover essentially. I love hunting at night but it's hard to beat the rush of sitting on the ground with a hand call during day light and fooling a very smart predator into making that fatal mistake.
JMO

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6375693 07/20/16 01:36 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Night time is the easiest time to varmint hunt.

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6376008 07/20/16 05:04 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My best luck has been 6-10 pm

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6376229 07/20/16 08:07 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I guess I am past 50 years of predator calling experience and without a doubt, more hunting skill is required in the daylight. bar-d was right and I see that he too, has a few years under his belt. I have always said that daytime calling is a test of hunting skills and night time calling is a test of equipment. Of course, equipment meaning lighting system, hunting buggy, swivel chairs, night vision, etc.
Another reason that I am pretty much a daylight hunter is that night hunting will educate your coyote population quicker than daytime hunting.
Of course, my buddy Night Crew has heard my lecture before and I am a dinosaur. LOL!
Adios,
Gary

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6376276 07/20/16 08:34 PM
N
Night Crew Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
N
Due to the lack of input, (as expected) it is reasonable to assume that comparing day Vs. night hunting for coyotes is like comparing apples to oranges. You simply can't do it. They both present their own sets of challenges which will require certain "skills" to get the job done. Both require an endless supply of equipment in the field and both require a hunter's ability to understand how to effectively use that equipment to call and kill coyotes day or night. At Night, the tools for the job may be a hunters light and a good light gathering scope but during the day, those items may get replaced by a decoy and a good E-caller to get the sound away from you to close the deal.... They are both challenging due to the inherent nature of a coyote and both will test a hunters skills to put fur in the back of the truck "equipment or not".....

Night Hunting presents its own unique challenges and is in fact a great test of a coyote hunters skills. For those who don't believe this to be the case, good luck on your first few trips out as I'm sure the lesson will be swift and over before you know it!

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6376285 07/20/16 08:36 PM
N
Night Crew Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
N
Love you Gary! smile

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6376574 07/21/16 12:42 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Have taken more yotes during the day than night, but then I hunt them more in the daylight.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6377657 07/21/16 08:07 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
No doubt, the Night Crew is the utmost authority in night hunting and videography, however you spell that as they are simply the best at what they do. I will agree that there are a lot of new gadgets for night hunting and very few for day time calling. Obviously, some of the new night vision can give a hunter even more advantages in the darkness. I do think that the hunting basics are the same but the darkness allows one to be much more careless with concealment, movement and scent...after all we are calling from a pickup. I have preached at my seminars for over 25 years that the very best way to get a youngster into hunting is to take them out at night and call coons and foxes to the pickup. I am well aware that calling coyotes is much more difficult than calling coons and foxes and did not start my boys trying to hunt them.
I love you Chris!
Adios,
Gary

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6377661 07/21/16 08:07 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
You are right, not a lot of interest in this poll????
Adios,
Gary

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6378225 07/22/16 03:18 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I can tell you it sure costs a lot less to hunt in the daylight. I have taken way more in the day than night. If hunting alone daylight is easier and takes less skill IMO. Just camo up and splat.

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6378715 07/22/16 05:14 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Given my track record the last 2 years I'd say both are the most difficult. Now if it's calling coons I can do that all night long. That being said I seem to have more success in the day time calling coyotes. However, I also camo up, cover my face, hide in the brush, walk a long way to setup, and am more coherent. At night I'm usually struggling to stay awake and hunting from a white pickup. I started trying to hunt at night just like I do in the day (walk and setup) and it seems to work a lot better.

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6379502 07/23/16 05:45 AM
R
Ronnie Oneal Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
Any predator you call up and kill takes some sort of skill/knowledge. Setting down under a tree or bush with a decoy during the day is not to awfully difficult. Most day time animals with a decoy can be killed with a shotgun. Night time hunting to me takes on a whole new level of skill/knowledge. Take night vision out of the picture bc I've never used it. I have however killed a few using a light. I don't know what kind of test of equipment it takes beside a good light and knowing how to use it. Calling a coyote or a bobcat within shotgun distance at night is a bit more difficult than having one rush a decoy during the day. At night you usually pick the animal up a bit faster maybe bc of the use of the light. That also gives the animal more time to figure out everything isn't perfectly normal once they close the distance close enough to be lit up. I think trying to compare the two comes down to what you have personally had better results doing. Personally to me killing a coyote at night with a light is way more gratifying than calling one in and killing it during the day. As far as educating a coyote faster at night is probably not 100 percent true. Might educate one to a light if you don't get it killed but day or night the result is gonna be the same if you call one in and you throw an air ball or get winded. That's just my opinion and it probably isn't worth much....but their it is slinger

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCQa5cwBGes6Kp0cGQOj2Brw

NIGHT CREW TV on YouTube ☝️☝️☝️

https://m.facebook.com/nightcrewfans/

NIGHT CREW TV Facebook☝️☝️☝️
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6380402 07/24/16 03:53 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I enjoy daytime hunting way more but both day and night have about the same learning curve. It's just a totally different curve.
No doubt night hunting takes more gear and adds to the expense. I have always felt like I call more critters at night BUT don't nessasarily kill more than I do in the daytime. Think about it you can only see where the light is pointed and coyotes in heavy cover are in and out without being seen more often than most realize.
Now for most folks Bobcats are way easier to harvest at night due to their stealth and slow approach with thier eyes giving them away. In the daytime with that same stealth and natural camouflage most are never noticed.
A few years back I kept a count on numbers and surprisingly out of 38 bobcats called one Fall I actually had half come in during the daytime. I have called 3 bobcats on one stand at 11:00am so both day and night can be quite good with an advantage going to night due to predators being more active then.
So both night and day have a certain skill set that has to be mastered but not sure one skill is that much tougher...... It's just different.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6381217 07/25/16 12:03 AM
H
Hard_ware Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Depends on alot of factors, calling from truck with spotlight on private property that does not get hunted much.
Day or night will be easy, just watch the wind and don't make fast movements.

Area that is hunted during daytime causing critters to move at night, hunt like day hunting camo/hidden using night vision/thermal & easy pickens at night, again watch the wind.

Remember night for the hunter is not night for the critter, only very very dark night hinder the critters sight.
a couple days before/after the new moon, or very cloudy nights blocking all light hinder the critters sight.

Hunting at night with thermal/night vision and hunting like you would during the day (camo/hidden & decoy/e caller), night time hunting is critter eradication for me as they don't have a chance, other then the wind. If a farmer or rancher isn't complaining about a type of critter I give them a pass. I usually see tons of j rabbits, a few bob cats, some racoons, the grey foxes I would see I guess someone got them as I didn't and no longer see them, and a badger I no longer see as well.

A lot of critters are moving at night, with thermal you see it all, even all the mice in the fields and in the bushes.

Now keep in mind if someone is using thermal/night vision and putting the hurt on the yotes at night they will go to day hunting or vice versa. Farmers have told me they started seeing them they during day after a few weeks of me night hunting them. Hogs did this as well.

But all in all I think night hunting is easier with the equipment I have, and it is definitely much cooler here in deep deep South Texas.

grin

NRA life member
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6391850 08/02/16 06:25 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Hogs and yotes see just fine on most nights. They can run through thick brush, no sweat. We see better during the day and can quickly scan a large area without moving our head. You pick up small movements or a color that doesn't match the surroundings. I choose thermal over night vision because you can miss so much with nv...animals in dark areas or obscured by weeds or light brush. They just pop out with thermal. However, you lose that wide view you have during the day as you cannot see with your eyes. You have to work to scan the areas with a monocular or scope. While an animal may approach from your periphery and you pick the movement up out of the corner of your eye during the day, you may miss it or get busted at night if you aren't observing the animal in the direction it is coming from at the moment it arrives. I have used decoys at night with good success. Yotes pick them up pretty well.

Like others, I believe each has its own set of skills. Neither is necessarily harder than the other to me, just different. Just when we think we have figured it all out, the animals will teach us new tricks.

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6394671 08/04/16 05:45 PM
T
Tio61 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I guess I'm old school. I started hunting in the daylight hrs because we didn't have much of
a spotlight or electronic callers, or high racks or most of the new technology out there today.
I like day hunting best, but I'll go anytime.

Doing what's right is not always popular!
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6400616 08/09/16 06:47 PM
MDMORROW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Nighttime way easier with thermal and NV and all that. Plus you don't have to hide so well and be as quiet. They act dumber at night.

[Linked Image]
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6402357 08/10/16 07:29 PM
F
fr3db3ar Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Agreed. I get away with a lot more setup mistakes at night. I can even sit in the middle of an open field if neccesary.

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6421147 08/23/16 06:15 PM
B
BruceWilliams Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Good question Chris. This my opinion. Stand setup to kill coyotes i believe is the most important thing to kill coyotes in the daytime. Getting in setting up right and getting them killed is more difficult then at night with a light in their eyes. Night time you just go into the wind or crosswind and stop in road and call. That being said I kill more coyotes in the daytime. I believe that's from getting in there without them knowing..at night out of truck I know plenty bust you. I'm saying some could hunt the same place in daytime and not kill as many on the same place as the other guy that has more experience. But then at night the odds even up a bit if he can shoot as good call as good a run light right ect. BOTH has their challenges though for sure. And I believe you will kill more coyotes with a light then night vision..just all my opinion

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Bar-D] #6425398 08/26/16 12:55 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: bar-d
I've been predator hunting for 40 years. In my experience, day time hunting is more difficult. At night you have darkness as your concealment. During the day you have to be much more attuned to your movement and your surroundings. I don't have thermal night vision so night hunting is still done the old fashioned way with lights. The light in itself becomes your cover essentially. I love hunting at night but it's hard to beat the rush of sitting on the ground with a hand call during day light and fooling a very smart predator into making that fatal mistake.
JMO
this...

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6425619 08/26/16 03:30 PM
W
Wacm Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Definitely calling during daylight is harder. At night the coyotes really drop their guard. They'll stand around and stare when during the day they never would've even stepped out.

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6425787 08/26/16 06:03 PM
N
Night Crew Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
N
There is some very interesting feedback to this poll and I appreciate the response from so many experienced hunters. The one consistent factor that I am seeing is, there is no comparable factors because the only constant in the entire poll is the coyote itself. "Almost" everything changes from day to night except the coyote so there is no way to accurately measure the degree of difficulty or amount of "skill" required when comparing two "completely" separate playing fields. There are way too many variables even including an individual hunters "rate" at which he or she can adapt and learn from their mistakes when attempting to do both. In other words, some will adapt and get better at a faster rate hunting during the day by learning from their mistakes than at night and vice versa. AND, to further complicate it, everyone learns at different rates which factors into "which one they feel is the most difficult". I apologize for those of you who did not understand a word of any of that BUT, everyone with a credible amount of experience doing both used their own individual experiences to gauge which is harder for this poll and that in itself is a huge variable.

Bottom line - "IF" you can't compare football to baseball or hockey to soccer and try to determine "which" one takes more skill. You can't compare hunting at night against hunting during the day to determine the amount of skill required cause ultimately "skill" level is determined more by the "INDIVIDUAL" than the playing field itself.

at least thats my humble opinion.......

Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew] #6425905 08/26/16 07:19 PM
G
gary roberson Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
You are a trouble maker! If you would have told us that you can't compare the two then why did you bring it up...a trick question. You just wanted to see if you could stir up a fight...you Rascal. Love you, Chris.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide