Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,603
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! #6378069 07/22/16 01:18 AM
P
Pig_Popper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P

The plan is to break in the barrel on Saturday morning with factory loads, check for function, set the gas block and then strap on some night vision for an evening hunt.

If all goes well I will have some video to share next week and then I'll start rolling my own handloads to dial in the accuracy.

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6378458 07/22/16 01:57 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Yes!!

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6378523 07/22/16 02:50 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
That's a nice looking firearm. It ought to be fun to shoot.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6378719 07/22/16 05:16 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Great looking piece of hardware. Keep us updated. elmer

Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6379624 07/23/16 02:26 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
Thanks for the compliments on the new rifle

Just sighted it in, seated and bagged at 100 yards with factory Federal Fusion ammunition

Minute of Thumbnail (MOT) - it's on !!!!

Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6381565 07/25/16 11:26 AM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Now that is a true "pig popper" weapon!

Ouch!!!

Last edited by Bigfoot; 07/25/16 11:27 AM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6381570 07/25/16 11:40 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Beautiful. Been waiting for these. Do you know if this upper would fit an AR10 lower?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6381595 07/25/16 12:26 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Beautiful. Been waiting for these. Do you know if this upper would fit an AR10 lower?
no...

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6381596 07/25/16 12:27 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper

The plan is to break in the barrel on Saturday morning with factory loads, check for function, set the gas block and then strap on some night vision for an evening hunt.

If all goes well I will have some video to share next week and then I'll start rolling my own handloads to dial in the accuracy.

have the 30-06, heavy but is great to shoot.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6381620 07/25/16 12:52 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
So I shot a total of 30 rounds this weekend and downed a Sow.

No video due to operator error.

I had some jams where the case didn't extract fast enough so I opened up the gas port a little more, then when I got ready for the hunt I put 20 rounds in the mag and verified my 200 yard zero and it failed to feed the 19th round ( jammed it into the feed ramp - setting the bullet back into the case).

Once I cleared that, It cycled 8 rounds without issue.

So I'll need to break down the gun and oil it to my standards, open up the magazine and inspect the spring and then reinstall and verify function with 20 rounds again.

With the JAL muzzle break the recoil impulse is straight back so it's a pronounced felt recoil I'd say less than 30-06 but more than 308. Didn't bother the scope but the next day my shoulder could tell it had a day of fun previously.

I'll give this another run sometime in the next few monthe, I'm not super eager to hunt in late July or August...

Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6381662 07/25/16 01:30 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper

I'll give this another run sometime in the next few monthe, I'm not super eager to hunt in late July or August...

I dont blame you there brother it is hot!

GO TRUMP!
Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6598149 12/22/16 03:39 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P

No video due to operator error.

I had some jams where the case didn't extract fast enough so I opened up the gas port a little more, then when I got ready for the hunt I put 20 rounds in the mag and verified my 200 yard zero and it failed to feed the 19th round ( jammed it into the feed ramp - setting the bullet back into the case).

Once I cleared that, It cycled 8 rounds without issue.

So I'll need to break down the gun and oil it to my standards, open up the magazine and inspect the spring and then reinstall and verify function with 20 rounds again.

With the JAL muzzle break the recoil impulse is straight back so it's a pronounced felt recoil I'd say less than 30-06 but more than 308. Didn't bother the scope but the next day my shoulder could tell it had a day of fun previously.

UPDATE:

Since the hunt referenced above I went through the normal cycles of lame and lazy (didn't touch the project) however in the past month I gave the gun some attention.

I'll tell you right off that IN MY OPINION the gun is over built, everything is so rigid and large which, unless your running without issue, could be an issue.

Here is what I went through to get the gun running reliably:

Magazine: I just received one magazine with the gun (20 rounder) and in the beginning there was some slop (area too large) between the feed lips so a fully loaded mag caused the doublestack to get squirrely with rounds sliding to the middle and wanting to jump out of the mag before go time.

The magazine construction is plastic or polymer of some variety so I CAREFULLY heated it with my torch and reformed the magazine lips and set the position in a vice over night to allow it to cool (re-harden) in a new position.

This caused the follower to react differently and I believe the bolt catch and BCG nicked the plastic follower which caused bolt hold open to not work reliably - so.... I cut of the portion of the mag that contacts the bolt catch (as it would hang/bind/drag occasionally and cause a jam).

I have formed an opinion on the magazine for the BN36, how shall I state this without being overly critical... It is the weak link in the gun system.

Bolt:

My goodness the ejector outward pressure was STIFF. It initially required the use of a punch to push it flush with the bolt face and I couldn't conceive how brass was not being obliterated by the ejector. Upon relieving the spring from it's area beneath the pin I found a short and rotund spring, heavier than an AR15 and more stiff than an AR10 spring. I popped in an AR15 ejector spring and buttoned it back together.

I'll see how long the spring lasts and try an AR10 spring if the lighter one ever fails, at the moment brass is extracting 2 feet at the 1-2 o'clock position so I am seeing good function.

I also beveled the ejector pin faced to assist with the brass moving over the edge and polished the extractor face.

Gas Block:

The one provided by Noreen looks nice but the adjustment screw has to be the worst ever, its way too small and deforms after frequent adjustment (normal when tuning to a load) and ultimately strips and is overall in my opinion a PITA.

I threw on a Seekins adjustable gas block and was not getting full cycling so I had to tear it apart and really concentrate on gas port to gas block alignment, I also noticed a lot of carbon fouling around the gas block body so I am assuming I was losing so gas there. I used locktite to seal up the mating surface taking care to avoid the gas port and gooped up the adjustment screw at full open and let everything set a couple of day.

All good as there are no more short strokes or jams occurring during operation.

Shooting results:

I'll be honest, I got a good price (deal) on an 8lb jug of IMR 4831 so it is the only powder that I've tried with the gun. Best I can muster is about 1 MOA but having shot Noreens in the past I know them to be more accurate (sub-MOA). I ended up settling on 51.3 grains which is getting 2690 fps.

I load up a few hundred of these and call this project good. It'll hunt for sure!

All targets at 100 yards

Re: Taking my new Stix hunting this weekend - Noreen 270 Winchester - Poor Pigs!!!! [Re: Pig_Popper] #6607913 12/30/16 01:49 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
P
[quote=Pig_Popper]

Here is what I went through to get the gun running reliably:

Magazine: I just received one magazine with the gun (20 rounder) and in the beginning there was some slop (area too large) between the feed lips so a fully loaded mag caused the doublestack to get squirrely with rounds sliding to the middle and wanting to jump out of the mag before go time.

The magazine construction is plastic or polymer of some variety so I CAREFULLY heated it with my torch and reformed the magazine lips and set the position in a vice over night to allow it to cool (re-harden) in a new position.

This caused the follower to react differently and I believe the bolt catch and BCG nicked the plastic follower which caused bolt hold open to not work reliably - so.... I cut of the portion of the mag that contacts the bolt catch (as it would hang/bind/drag occasionally and cause a jam).

I have formed an opinion on the magazine for the BN36, how shall I state this without being overly critical... It is the weak link in the gun system.

I saw this new magazine option this morning - billet aluminum for $ 129.00

http://onlylongrange.com/bn36-magazine-270-25-06-30-06/

I hope to await any other Noreen user's review of it before cutting loose of the money since my torched and tweaked polymer magazine is functional

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide