So I shot a total of 30 rounds this weekend and downed a Sow.
No video due to operator error.
I had some jams where the case didn't extract fast enough so I opened up the gas port a little more, then when I got ready for the hunt I put 20 rounds in the mag and verified my 200 yard zero and it failed to feed the 19th round ( jammed it into the feed ramp - setting the bullet back into the case).
Once I cleared that, It cycled 8 rounds without issue.
So I'll need to break down the gun and oil it to my standards, open up the magazine and inspect the spring and then reinstall and verify function with 20 rounds again.
With the JAL muzzle break the recoil impulse is straight back so it's a pronounced felt recoil I'd say less than 30-06 but more than 308. Didn't bother the scope but the next day my shoulder could tell it had a day of fun previously.
I'll give this another run sometime in the next few monthe, I'm not super eager to hunt in late July or August...
Since the hunt referenced above I went through the normal cycles of lame and lazy (didn't touch the project) however in the past month I gave the gun some attention.
I'll tell you right off that IN MY OPINION the gun is over built, everything is so rigid and large which, unless your running without issue, could be an issue.
Here is what I went through to get the gun running reliably:Magazine:
I just received one magazine with the gun (20 rounder) and in the beginning there was some slop (area too large) between the feed lips so a fully loaded mag caused the doublestack to get squirrely with rounds sliding to the middle and wanting to jump out of the mag before go time.
The magazine construction is plastic or polymer of some variety so I CAREFULLY heated it with my torch and reformed the magazine lips and set the position in a vice over night to allow it to cool (re-harden) in a new position.
This caused the follower to react differently and I believe the bolt catch and BCG nicked the plastic follower which caused bolt hold open to not work reliably - so.... I cut of the portion of the mag that contacts the bolt catch (as it would hang/bind/drag occasionally and cause a jam).
I have formed an opinion on the magazine for the BN36, how shall I state this without being overly critical... It is the weak link in the gun system.Bolt:
My goodness the ejector outward pressure was STIFF. It initially required the use of a punch to push it flush with the bolt face and I couldn't conceive how brass was not being obliterated by the ejector. Upon relieving the spring from it's area beneath the pin I found a short and rotund spring, heavier than an AR15 and more stiff than an AR10 spring. I popped in an AR15 ejector spring and buttoned it back together.
I'll see how long the spring lasts and try an AR10 spring if the lighter one ever fails, at the moment brass is extracting 2 feet at the 1-2 o'clock position so I am seeing good function.
I also beveled the ejector pin faced to assist with the brass moving over the edge and polished the extractor face.Gas Block:
The one provided by Noreen looks nice but the adjustment screw has to be the worst ever, its way too small and deforms after frequent adjustment (normal when tuning to a load) and ultimately strips and is overall in my opinion a PITA.
I threw on a Seekins adjustable gas block and was not getting full cycling so I had to tear it apart and really concentrate on gas port to gas block alignment, I also noticed a lot of carbon fouling around the gas block body so I am assuming I was losing so gas there. I used locktite to seal up the mating surface taking care to avoid the gas port and gooped up the adjustment screw at full open and let everything set a couple of day.
All good as there are no more short strokes or jams occurring during operation.
I'll be honest, I got a good price (deal) on an 8lb jug of IMR 4831 so it is the only powder that I've tried with the gun. Best I can muster is about 1 MOA but having shot Noreens in the past I know them to be more accurate (sub-MOA). I ended up settling on 51.3 grains which is getting 2690 fps.
I load up a few hundred of these and call this project good. It'll hunt for sure!
All targets at 100 yards