6242936 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6375454 - 07/19/16 10:31 PM POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes"
Night Crew Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: North Texas
We just wanted to get feedback from all the predator hunters out there who have attempted hunting coyotes both during the day as well as at night. The Underlying question of this poll is to see (based on your experiences) "which" takes more "skill" to effectively call and kill coyotes. They are two completely separate methods of hunting them and both require different skill sets however, which one is to be considered the most difficult is the question? Everyones opinion is valued in this thread as long as you have had experience attempting both day and night hunting for coyotes. Thanks for the input.

#6375462 - 07/19/16 10:34 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
TPH Offline
Light Foot

Tough one, will have to ponder.

#6375676 - 07/20/16 08:19 AM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
bar-d Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Fisher County
I've been predator hunting for 40 years. In my experience, day time hunting is more difficult. At night you have darkness as your concealment. During the day you have to be much more attuned to your movement and your surroundings. I don't have thermal night vision so night hunting is still done the old fashioned way with lights. The light in itself becomes your cover essentially. I love hunting at night but it's hard to beat the rush of sitting on the ground with a hand call during day light and fooling a very smart predator into making that fatal mistake.
JMO

#6375693 - 07/20/16 08:36 AM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
scalebuster Online   content
Pro Tracker

Night time is the easiest time to varmint hunt.

#6376008 - 07/20/16 12:04 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
rickym Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
My best luck has been 6-10 pm

#6376229 - 07/20/16 03:07 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
gary roberson Online   content
Pro Tracker

I guess I am past 50 years of predator calling experience and without a doubt, more hunting skill is required in the daylight. bar-d was right and I see that he too, has a few years under his belt. I have always said that daytime calling is a test of hunting skills and night time calling is a test of equipment. Of course, equipment meaning lighting system, hunting buggy, swivel chairs, night vision, etc.
Another reason that I am pretty much a daylight hunter is that night hunting will educate your coyote population quicker than daytime hunting.
Of course, my buddy Night Crew has heard my lecture before and I am a dinosaur. LOL!
Adios,
Gary

#6376276 - 07/20/16 03:34 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
Night Crew Offline
Outdoorsman

Due to the lack of input, (as expected) it is reasonable to assume that comparing day Vs. night hunting for coyotes is like comparing apples to oranges. You simply can't do it. They both present their own sets of challenges which will require certain "skills" to get the job done. Both require an endless supply of equipment in the field and both require a hunter's ability to understand how to effectively use that equipment to call and kill coyotes day or night. At Night, the tools for the job may be a hunters light and a good light gathering scope but during the day, those items may get replaced by a decoy and a good E-caller to get the sound away from you to close the deal.... They are both challenging due to the inherent nature of a coyote and both will test a hunters skills to put fur in the back of the truck "equipment or not".....

Night Hunting presents its own unique challenges and is in fact a great test of a coyote hunters skills. For those who don't believe this to be the case, good luck on your first few trips out as I'm sure the lesson will be swift and over before you know it!

#6376285 - 07/20/16 03:36 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
Night Crew Offline
Outdoorsman

Love you Gary! smile

#6376574 - 07/20/16 07:42 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
kmon1 Offline
junior

Loc: Texas
Have taken more yotes during the day than night, but then I hunt them more in the daylight.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6377657 - 07/21/16 03:07 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
Pro Tracker

No doubt, the Night Crew is the utmost authority in night hunting and videography, however you spell that as they are simply the best at what they do. I will agree that there are a lot of new gadgets for night hunting and very few for day time calling. Obviously, some of the new night vision can give a hunter even more advantages in the darkness. I do think that the hunting basics are the same but the darkness allows one to be much more careless with concealment, movement and scent...after all we are calling from a pickup. I have preached at my seminars for over 25 years that the very best way to get a youngster into hunting is to take them out at night and call coons and foxes to the pickup. I am well aware that calling coyotes is much more difficult than calling coons and foxes and did not start my boys trying to hunt them.
I love you Chris!
Adios,
Gary

#6377661 - 07/21/16 03:07 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
Pro Tracker

You are right, not a lot of interest in this poll????
Adios,
Gary

#6378225 - 07/21/16 10:18 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
I can tell you it sure costs a lot less to hunt in the daylight. I have taken way more in the day than night. If hunting alone daylight is easier and takes less skill IMO. Just camo up and splat.

#6378715 - 07/22/16 12:14 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
aggiehunter03 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mineral Wells, Texas
Given my track record the last 2 years I'd say both are the most difficult. Now if it's calling coons I can do that all night long. That being said I seem to have more success in the day time calling coyotes. However, I also camo up, cover my face, hide in the brush, walk a long way to setup, and am more coherent. At night I'm usually struggling to stay awake and hunting from a white pickup. I started trying to hunt at night just like I do in the day (walk and setup) and it seems to work a lot better.

#6379502 - 07/23/16 12:45 AM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
Ronnie Oneal Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Grayson Co
Any predator you call up and kill takes some sort of skill/knowledge. Setting down under a tree or bush with a decoy during the day is not to awfully difficult. Most day time animals with a decoy can be killed with a shotgun. Night time hunting to me takes on a whole new level of skill/knowledge. Take night vision out of the picture bc I've never used it. I have however killed a few using a light. I don't know what kind of test of equipment it takes beside a good light and knowing how to use it. Calling a coyote or a bobcat within shotgun distance at night is a bit more difficult than having one rush a decoy during the day. At night you usually pick the animal up a bit faster maybe bc of the use of the light. That also gives the animal more time to figure out everything isn't perfectly normal once they close the distance close enough to be lit up. I think trying to compare the two comes down to what you have personally had better results doing. Personally to me killing a coyote at night with a light is way more gratifying than calling one in and killing it during the day. As far as educating a coyote faster at night is probably not 100 percent true. Might educate one to a light if you don't get it killed but day or night the result is gonna be the same if you call one in and you throw an air ball or get winded. That's just my opinion and it probably isn't worth much....but their it is slinger

#6380402 - 07/23/16 10:53 PM Re: POLL - "Daytime VS. Night hunting for coyotes" [Re: Night Crew]
DStroud Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Waco
I enjoy daytime hunting way more but both day and night have about the same learning curve. It's just a totally different curve.
No doubt night hunting takes more gear and adds to the expense. I have always felt like I call more critters at night BUT don't nessasarily kill more than I do in the daytime. Think about it you can only see where the light is pointed and coyotes in heavy cover are in and out without being seen more often than most realize.
Now for most folks Bobcats are way easier to harvest at night due to their stealth and slow approach with thier eyes giving them away. In the daytime with that same stealth and natural camouflage most are never noticed.
A few years back I kept a count on numbers and surprisingly out of 38 bobcats called one Fall I actually had half come in during the daytime. I have called 3 bobcats on one stand at 11:00am so both day and night can be quite good with an advantage going to night due to predators being more active then.
So both night and day have a certain skill set that has to be mastered but not sure one skill is that much tougher...... It's just different.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide