Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6373672 07/18/16 11:25 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I concur that it was probably deliberate. 'Drunk friend of a friend. Those kind of losers usually get what's comin' to them and never amount to much in life.

Your neighbors might know exactly what happened and have already dealt with it. I agree with your approach to at least ask them.

I've had one in a blind of my family's, many years ago. 'Had to have been trespassing to do it. I know exactly who the low-life was/is and, 40 years later, know exactly where the SOB lives. Nah, I don't hold a grudge.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Dalee7892] #6373898 07/19/16 01:23 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
If it was me.
#1 notify sheriff department just to have it on the books
#2 talk with neighbors with as much information you can bullet came from direction, the Windows, safety issues, if someone had been in there
#3 also inform game warden just to keep all in the loop, also explain that you are talking to the neighbors
Just my 2cents

My thoughts as well. Know harm in notifying the authorities to let them know what is going on.

Let'em grow old
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6373962 07/19/16 02:02 AM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
They need to have an idea where to start when they find your body.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Simple Searcher] #6373974 07/19/16 02:14 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Probably some kids thinking it was all in good fun to go shoot stuff.
It happened at our lease with a few teenage boys that thought it was cool to shoot up things, they got kicked off the lease.

I had it happen years ago. As it turns out, kids trespassing had done it. My stand across on my parent's place was shot, but the guys with stands on the property the kids were on had stands that were dumped over and fubar.

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6373986 07/19/16 02:16 AM
T
TRIJI....WHAT Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Honestly I would never sit in that blind again........

I would at least keep the Sheriff informed as well as the game warden......that just is not a stray bullet......

Shhhhhhhh better to be quiet than remove all doubt..
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: poisonivie] #6374000 07/19/16 02:22 AM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I'll try and answer everyone's questions at once...

Originally Posted By: BOONER
Whose feeder is that in the pick? If it is theirs then I wouldn't think it was an accident.

I went back and looked, I don't see what you might be mistaking for a feeder. There isn't one in the pics. If you're talking about the third pic, it's the second bullet hole as seen through the first one. The only feeders within 500 yards are mine. The neighbors don't hunt that section of their property. At least, they haven't in years past.

EDIT: I see it now, in the first pic. That feeder is mine.

And how do you know it is a bullet hole? What are the other cracks in the glass from? Just asking man, not being rude.

No worries. The only thing I can think of is from the bullet entering through the first window and either fragmenting or sending shrapnel into the second window. If they're not bullet holes, what else could they possibly be?

Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
Are there any other holes in said blind?

None.

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
They need to have an idea where to start when they find your body.

Comforting. laugh

Last edited by Shotgun Willie; 07/19/16 02:25 AM.
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374044 07/19/16 02:55 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Ok Willie this is what it looks like to me. The shot came from your side of the fence. Maybe it is just from the pics but the round hole (entrance hole) is lower than the jagged hole(exit hole). I'm no expert but I did stay at a motel 6 once. And I honestly don't know what it could be other than bullets holes. Good luck man and let us know what you find out.

Disclaimer: I have zero experience with bullets shooting glass so I'm probably wrong!

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: BOONER] #6374089 07/19/16 03:40 AM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Ok Willie this is what it looks like to me. The shot came from your side of the fence. Maybe it is just from the pics but the round hole (entrance hole) is lower than the jagged hole(exit hole). I'm no expert but I did stay at a motel 6 once. And I honestly don't know what it could be other than bullets holes. Good luck man and let us know what you find out.

Disclaimer: I have zero experience with bullets shooting glass so I'm probably wrong!

Not arguing, I honestly don't know. Using the highly scientific eyeball method, following the trajectory of the two holes lines up with A: My neighbor's camp, or B: an inaccessible area of my property. And by that, I mean it cannot be walked through, not to mention the growth would require them to be standing on a ladder to get above the brush to make the shot.

Also, the windows are lexan. The inside of the back panel is broken out. The outside of the side panel is broken out. Meaning, the clean side hole is the entrance wound, and the jagged hole is the exit. Also, the rear window is at a much narrower angle to the trajectory, resulting in the elongated hole. The hole on the side window is nearly perpendicular to the trajectory.

Or, I could be totally wrong.

I guess Ima have to call the game warden out there to meet me and discuss it.

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374288 07/19/16 12:46 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Not arguing, I honestly don't know. Using the highly scientific eyeball method, following the trajectory of the two holes lines up with A: My neighbor's camp, or B: an inaccessible area of my property. And by that, I mean it cannot be walked through, not to mention the growth would require them to be standing on a ladder to get above the brush to make the shot.

Also, the windows are lexan. The inside of the back panel is broken out. The outside of the side panel is broken out. Meaning, the clean side hole is the entrance wound, and the jagged hole is the exit. Also, the rear window is at a much narrower angle to the trajectory, resulting in the elongated hole. The hole on the side window is nearly perpendicular to the trajectory.

Or, I could be totally wrong.

I guess Ima have to call the game warden out there to meet me and discuss it.

Just get those CSI television guys out there and they can tell you exactly what color underwear the shooter was wearing just by looking at an overturned rock in the road to the entrance of your property. bs Good luck man and be safe!

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374319 07/19/16 01:04 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Willie, just by your description and not seeing myself, I agree with your assessment. I think you're spot on with bullet direction.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374347 07/19/16 01:17 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
i think you are doing the right thing. BUT if it happens again the law is going to be upset you didn't report it the first time. I think you can report it and ask them not to do anything at this time.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374387 07/19/16 01:41 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Nothing good ever comes from getting the law involved. All they will do is come out and tell you there is nothing they can do. The only time I ever bother calling the law for any reason is if I have an insurance claim. Ive never recovered any stolen property and neither has anyone else I know. I believe talking to your neighbor yourself is the best action you can take.

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: scalebuster] #6374395 07/19/16 01:48 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Nothing good ever comes from getting the law involved. All they will do is come out and tell you there is nothing they can do. The only time I ever bother calling the law for any reason is if I have an insurance claim. Ive never recovered any stolen property and neither has anyone else I know. I believe talking to your neighbor yourself is the best action you can take.

Comparing stolen property to someone shooting across property lines into someone's blind where they could die aren't even in the same league. I think the GW and/or sheriff would be pretty upset seeing what happened and I highly doubt they will shrug their shoulders and go "sorry, nothing we can do". This isn't a matter of someone placing a feeder close to a fenceline and hypothetically a bullet crossing it. This isn't a scenario of you thinking they shot onto your property, there is a bullet hole to prove that someone did. Will the GW be able to prove who did it? Nope, but they will go put that camp on notice and I bet it doesn't happen again.

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374400 07/19/16 01:52 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
So if the shot came from camp, it isn't likely to be intentional given the "ton of trees" between the stand and camp. If it was intentional, it likely didn't come from camp.

You should report it to the game warden as a hunting-related event. Heck, you can tell him that you know the neighbors next door and don't think it was them, but he will still check out their camp, more than likely. You never know. Maybe has a sighting-in tree that is unfortunately aligned? Maybe they have trespasser issues? Maybe they have been vandalized as well?

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 07/19/16 03:41 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374505 07/19/16 03:24 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
I would do exactly what you did, but this overly friendly neighbor thing sometimes can be a bit much.
How they respond will tell you alot. I would be piz$$$

Big Beckett!!
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374527 07/19/16 03:39 PM
A
aggie96 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Take a laser with you late in the evening and shine through both holes you will find the location of the shot.

So many fish so little time
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374570 07/19/16 04:02 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I would surely contact the local Game Warden just to report the damage. A bullet hole through a tower blind isn't an accident,it was done on purpose. Not only is it a stupid thing for someone to do,it could easily turn into someone being shot or killed.
Contacting the neighbors might not get anything done about it,but the GW will at least write a report and do some sort of investigation.

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374603 07/19/16 04:17 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I don't know what else it could be but that's a mighty big hole for a bullet to make. I'd call the game warden.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: aggie96] #6374621 07/19/16 04:28 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: aggie96
Take a laser with you late in the evening and shine through both holes you will find the location of the shot.

That would assume a few things.
1. Can he stand outside of his elevated stand to do this?
2. Given that lasers produce a straight line and bullets fly in a parabolic arc, the holes have to line up along the parabolic arc in just the exact right way to point back to the actual shooting location. Otherwise, they will just point to some location along the line of the flight and not the location of the shot.
3. #2 assumes there has been no deflection in flight.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374628 07/19/16 04:33 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Contact your sheriff. Contact your game warden. Tell them what happened and at least get it on file.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374643 07/19/16 04:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
From where you have your blind it's an easy shot from the neighbors fence line. Probably young punks that are their kids or friends of or both.

I would report it to the GW and say your not accusing anyone of anything.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6374650 07/19/16 04:54 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I agree with OP way of handling with the note to neighbors. But I too would notify GW for the record.

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: westtexaswatkins] #6374656 07/19/16 05:01 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Take a dowel rod and run it through the holes and it will give a dang good idea where exactly it was fired from. I may have seen this done a time or two wink I would try to talk to them or their landowner first. If that didn't work, I would contact the Sheriff.

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6375170 07/20/16 12:19 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Move your stand to where they can't shoot it. For your own safety.

Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie] #6375204 07/20/16 12:45 AM
T
TEXAN1970 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
anything ever resolved

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide