6240596 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#6373331 - 07/18/16 02:43 PM Neighbor shot my blind
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I'm not sure how to handle this. I went out to the lease this weekend, ran over to check on my blind, and there's a bullet hole that went through two windows. Right about where my head would be if I was in the stand sitting in my chair having a siesta. It went in one window, out another, and following the trajectory leads right towards their camp. There's a ton of trees between me and them, so it was either a fluke error, or intentional. I've talked to these guys in the past, and we've always been on friendly terms, so I'd like to think it wasn't done with malice. Hopefully just a case of them not knowing their backdrop. I think there's 4 or 5 guys over there, maybe had their kids out, no telling who did it or when exactly it happened.

I left a note in a ziploc bag taped to their gate asking to have their lease foreman call me. I didn't call the sheriff out because I figured this was something we could handle amongst ourselves, and figured it would go a long ways towards neighborly relations if I gave it an opportunity at resolution before getting the law involved. My brother and another buddy think I should have called the sheriff and let him handle it. Figured I'd throw it out here and see what the consensus was.

What say ye?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 07/18/16 02:38 PM
View the results of this poll.

#6373342 - 07/18/16 02:51 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
fouzman Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
How do you know it wasn't an accident or completely unknown to them/unintentional? I'd hate for that accident to occur while someone was in the stand, but I just can't see the neighbor taking direct aim at your stand. How many yards from your window to their camp? Calling the law won't do anything other than waste time. You have no proof of when, from where and by whom this could have been done. What's the law going to do? I'd talk to my neighbor in a friendly manner.

#6373349 - 07/18/16 02:57 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
Wilhunt Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: New Braunfels, San Saba county
How much trouble to move the blind to a safe area? Agree the sheriff wont be able to help.

#6373351 - 07/18/16 02:58 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

I think you did right by trying to talk to them first. Depending on their tone and response would dictate next steps. As already asked, how far is their camp from the blind?

#6373365 - 07/18/16 03:07 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: fouzman]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: fouzman
How do you know it wasn't an accident or completely unknown to them/unintentional? I'd hate for that accident to occur while someone was in the stand, but I just can't see the neighbor taking direct aim at your stand. How many yards from your window to their camp? Calling the law won't do anything other than waste time. You have no proof of when, from where and by whom this could have been done. What's the law going to do? I'd talk to my neighbor in a friendly manner.

Stated plainly in my post, I don't know if it was intentional or not, and I hope it was simply negligence. I thought I made that clear.

The stand is roughly 400 yards from their camp.

#6373382 - 07/18/16 03:17 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
fouzman Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
I saw that but I'm no CSI or ballistics expert. Hopefully, after you've spoken to them you'll get some peace of mind.

#6373386 - 07/18/16 03:18 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

I'd be mighty hacked, but hopefully handle it the way you did. I excel at confrontation avoidance, so just putting a note on the gate like you did would be a big deal for me.

#6373388 - 07/18/16 03:19 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
redchevy Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I bet it wasn't an accident. I also doubt there is anything you can do about it unless they fess up to it... which I doubt will happen.

#6373392 - 07/18/16 03:21 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Stated plainly in my post, I don't know if it was intentional or not, and I hope it was simply negligence. I thought I made that clear.

How far is your blind from the fence?

Here's my problem. Rarely do 'accidents' result in a near-dead-center hit on a deer blind ~400 yards away. Somebody shot that on purpose. Most likely kids, but you never know. I agree that handling it like neighbors is the best initial approach. The foremost issue here is safety and that would be my biggest push. If they're decent folk they should offer to pay for the damages without prompting but making sure nothing like that happens again is paramount.

#6373425 - 07/18/16 03:39 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Blind is about 60 yards from the fence, pointing to the interior of the property. Shot went through a back window and out a side. I talked to these neighbors before setting the stand there, and they gave their blessing. Being that it's up on a 10' tower, it'd be impossible to make the shot from my side of the fence. I know it came from their side, what I don't know is if it was done intentionally. I could see it going either way.

#6373432 - 07/18/16 03:41 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

How far is your blind from the fence?

Here's my problem. Rarely do 'accidents' result in a near-dead-center hit on a deer blind ~400 yards away. Somebody shot that on purpose. Most likely kids, but you never know. I agree that handling it like neighbors is the best initial approach. The foremost issue here is safety and that would be my biggest push. If they're decent folk they should offer to pay for the damages without prompting but making sure nothing like that happens again is paramount.

^This. Someone thought it would be cute to shoot at the blind and may or may not have known it was a hit. Even if it was an accident, what happens the next time you are sitting in that blind and it happens again.

#6373435 - 07/18/16 03:44 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Oh, and this is on the opposite side of the property from the neighbors building the high fence. Apparently, this is our year for neighbor issues.

#6373436 - 07/18/16 03:45 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: rexmitchell]
Shotgun Willie Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
...what happens the next time you are sitting in that blind and it happens again.

You'll see me on the 10 o'clock news.

#6373450 - 07/18/16 03:57 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
...what happens the next time you are sitting in that blind and it happens again.

You'll see me on the 10 o'clock news.

Hopefully for burning their camp down and not being carried out in a meat wagon. Seriously though, the fact that a bullet hit the blind is a huge, huge problem and anything less than a satisfactory answer deserves to have the law involved. They won't take something like that lightly.

#6373475 - 07/18/16 04:20 PM Re: Neighbor shot my blind [Re: Shotgun Willie]
Grizz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Granbury, TX
I think handling it the neighborly way is always preferred until they don't allow you to handle it that way. As others have said, the safety issue/prevention far outweighs the property damage. It would be pretty tough to sit in that blind again if it stays in the same spot.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide