476115 Topics
6245766 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#6372823 - 07/18/16 07:22 AM Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM
waterfowlwonders Offline
Woodsman

Seen a post a few weeks ago for Axis hunting with Sister Creek Ranches - even had one guy say Carlos was great. I didnt see the posts afterwards that were not positive - wish I would have. Booked a hunt for 4 and went down this weekend. Got there about 8:30pm and met with Carlos to check out the set up. He expected that we were gonna hunt all night after driving 7 hours to get there. We expected to see the set up, and be there before sunup the next morning. He had a barn that he converted one stall in to a blind. Could only see out of one or the two windows he built in it. The stand was 15 yards away (way to close), had no lights even if we were gonna hunt all night. He put 4 hunters in 1 blind. We texted him 30 minutes later and said we needed to split up into different stands and wanted to meet him the next morning and 2 of us would use the stand he showed us (even though it was too close) and the other two needed an additional stand. He texted back and confirmed he would meet two of us at 5:30am at the truck stop.
Next morning, he was a no show. Didn't answer until almost 7am. Then said the other stand wasn't ready for use. No chairs and the feeder wasn't going. So the other two came to where we were at the original blind. Once the sun came up, there were houses all around with only 1 safe shooting lane. We decided that it was a scam by 8am and left. Stopped payment on the check and told him. He of course threatened us with theft by check. He still got our $200 deposit. He knew for over 2 weeks that 4 hunters were coming and only had 1 working blind / feeder? WTF The entire property was no more than 20 acres.

I am so pissed. 14 hours of driving and hotel room expense, just to be scammed.

Run away, far, far away.

#6372828 - 07/18/16 07:31 AM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
This is a pretty part of the state around here, with great hunting, but we seem to be breeding more than our share of con artists. Might have something to do with what I've posted before - axis are breeding like flies and can be seen in downtown Boerne.

Very sorry you had such a rotten experience. Good on you for stopping the check.

#6373239 - 07/18/16 01:36 PM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
Raypo Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Azle, TX
I very rarely risk a new outfitter, I pretty much stick with the same trusty ole normal group, and it's for these exact reasons. Sorry you wasted your time...

#6373333 - 07/18/16 02:44 PM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
waterfowlwonders Offline
Woodsman

Trust me, I would have stuck to an outfitter I know if I had ever been axis hunting before. I have a call into the GW for that county to see if he might be interested in learning more about this guy.

The tool sent us photos from the game camera of 2 axis doe at the feeder at 11:30 am saying its our fault we left and he wants paid. The photos are supposed to be proof he lived up to his end of the deal and we could have shot those deer. How the hell are 4 guys in one stand supposed to be successful? ok, we could have got off one shot maybe - chances are with 4 people in one stand they would have never showed. The stand was a tin barn that was covered up. No carpet or insulation. If you thought of farting, you could hear it.

Check out the set up....see the barn with the stall and 2 windows:

Now look at how close it was to houses:

Also just went to the property appraisal web page for that county and found he doesn't own the land he had us on. Could have leased it I guess, but doubtful based on everything else we have seen.

#6373376 - 07/18/16 03:15 PM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
kdkane1971 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mesopotamia
WOW! What a first class buttsquirt.

#6373433 - 07/18/16 03:43 PM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
okiehuntr Offline
Tracker

Loc: SE Oklahoma
It seems like there are many new members that just join to post/advertise hunts, not posting prices, accommodations, high/low fence, acres or pictures and then act insulted when they are pm'ed and quetstioned....there is more and more dishonesty happening even with a few outfitters that have been in business for some time.
okiehuntr soap

#6374220 - 07/19/16 07:06 AM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
Mike Savoy Offline
Tracker

His girlfriend owns the land. I hope you post this on Facebook as well. I normally don't call bad outfitters out but I did and he blocked me. His normal hunting spot is 2.2 acres. Sorry you got scammed .

www.centexwildlife.com (under construction)

#6374260 - 07/19/16 07:33 AM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
nyalubwe Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Montana
I watch this part of the forum closely for members posts on outfitters.Good recommendations carry a lot of weight with me, and so do bad ones.Ive been scammed a couple times by Texas outfitters, so posts like this one are appreciated.

#6374273 - 07/19/16 07:40 AM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
EddieWalker Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
Sorry you had this happen to you. Before I consider going on a hunt with somebody new, I google them and search everywhere I can for any information on them. If I find nothing on them, that is a red flag that makes me nervous. A good, reputable outfitter should have something about them online. I've also found that the bow hunting sites seem to be the most vocal about their hunts. I can't say it's a fact, but over and over again I end up reading through a long thread about a hunt somewhere with tons of useful information on one of those sites after it comes up from a google search.

#6374568 - 07/19/16 11:01 AM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
HansAg Offline
Outdoorsman

Most of the groups on facebook have caught on and blocked him from posting as well. I saw a recent ad though on the "Whitetail Hunts in Texas" group on facebook though. I think this should be brought over there to warn folks. It's a shame.

Oh and I also asked on one of his posts where he was located at since I'm also operating near by, but he got very defensive and never responded to me.

Edited by HansAg (07/19/16 11:09 AM)

#6374646 - 07/19/16 11:52 AM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cedar Creek, TX
Sorry.. had to add... I know folks have small places to hunt, I get that, but wtf is this? It looks like he is raising them in his back yard and kills them when they come in to sleep in the barn? lol

That is just plain crazy.. heh

R

#6374774 - 07/19/16 01:22 PM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
SheepHunter Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: East Texas
Originally Posted By: waterfowlwonders
Trust me, I would have stuck to an outfitter I know if I had ever been axis hunting before. I have a call into the GW for that county to see if he might be interested in learning more about this guy.

The tool sent us photos from the game camera of 2 axis doe at the feeder at 11:30 am saying its our fault we left and he wants paid. The photos are supposed to be proof he lived up to his end of the deal and we could have shot those deer. How the hell are 4 guys in one stand supposed to be successful? ok, we could have got off one shot maybe - chances are with 4 people in one stand they would have never showed. The stand was a tin barn that was covered up. No carpet or insulation. If you thought of farting, you could hear it.

Check out the set up....see the barn with the stall and 2 windows:

Now look at how close it was to houses:

Also just went to the property appraisal web page for that county and found he doesn't own the land he had us on. Could have leased it I guess, but doubtful based on everything else we have seen.

If I saw this set up for 4 hunters upon arrival I would have walked away. Wishing you better days ahead sir.

#6374829 - 07/19/16 02:09 PM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: waterfowlwonders]
rexmitchell Online   content
Pro Tracker

Funny that guy got on here and ran his mouth about how good the hunting was.

#6374892 - 07/19/16 03:07 PM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: rexmitchell]
kdkane1971 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mesopotamia
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Funny that guy got on here and ran his mouth about how good the hunting was.

and it's been crickets ever since

#6375232 - 07/19/16 08:07 PM Re: Sister Creek Ranches - SCAM [Re: SheepHunter]
SisterCreek Ranches Hunts Offline
Green Horn

Folks: I can certainly appreciate all the responses. Firstly let me state that we all hunt different ways, we are a low cost hunt, so we don't hold hands, we don't guide...whats the point, its a feeder. AS one astute member pointed out, you pay after you show up and check the place out...this hot check writer checked the place out, with his three buddies...all three saw axis on the ground when they rolled up...then went to their truck and pulled out a check and paid for the hunt. SECONDLY: and let me b very clear, I did not ever threaten anyone. however guys, state law in texas is very clear on hot check writers, my advice is: do not pass hot checks in texas, NSF, Stopped or Cancelled checks in Texas are a crime, this is not an opinion but state law. NO HUNTER deserves a da up their business end. So once again to my hot check writers, I am extending you an olive branch here before we get to the point of no return. FOR THIS FORUM, guys let me be clear, had you hunted in our rudimentary loft, while I was in bed sleeping off a Gulf War Injury and Surgery...you could have still shot these two axis for a one time fee of $350..being that a single yearling doe axis runs $425 at auction, it's a square deal.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide