Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? #6371421 07/16/16 09:18 PM
H
hollidayHunter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Hey guys,
I was lucky enough to draw a mule deer tag in Wyoming Laramie Peak area for this fall and Im not sure what kind of clothes to take. I took my coveralls and insulated boots up there a couple of weeks ago when we were there for vacation. I bought a fleece shirt and some Under Armour cold gear from the Cabelas bargain bin, but I'm not sure what kind of pants to wear. I have long legs and most camo pants are way to short. Any suggestions would be appreciated

That's my $.02. Here's you're change!!
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371440 07/16/16 09:42 PM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Like most of the Rockies you don't know what your going to get in the fall, could be 80 degrees or a foot "or more" of snow. More important is to be in shape, the altitude will be a shock coming from Texas. Here is a list I took of an outfitters website and it what I pack for a Mule Deer, or Elk hunt.

Blaze Orange cap or brimmed cap
Outdoor Insulated & Non-Insulated pants
Various wool layers & base layers are recommended
Underwear, socks (preferably wool)
Waterproof Hunting or Hiking boots with ankle support
Comfortable shoes for lounging
Light, medium & heavy weight gloves
Waterproof rain tops & bottoms
Cold & mild weather coats
Gun Hunters in Wyoming are required to wear at least ONE article of orange while in the field.

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371483 07/16/16 10:09 PM
H
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Thanks NMGW
That is exactly the kind of list I was looking for. Now I just gotta find some insulated pants that are long enough. Lol

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371580 07/16/16 11:44 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
What month are you going and how are you hunting, foot,horses, truck?
The weather there can and does change at the drop of a hat. Are you flying or driving to Wyoming.

Second on the get in shape the best you can.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371595 07/16/16 11:58 PM
H
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Flying into Denver on Oct 15th. Will mostly be hunting on foot with lots of glassing. I found out about the weather this summer when you could see thunderstorms start rolling in over the mountains every afternoon. Ive been putting in lots of miles on the bike trying to get my legs strengthened and get my cardio up and Im sure it wont be enough.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371663 07/17/16 01:00 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: hollidayHunter
Flying into Denver on Oct 15th. Will mostly be hunting on foot with lots of glassing. I found out about the weather this summer when you could see thunderstorms start rolling in over the mountains every afternoon. Ive been putting in lots of miles on the bike trying to get my legs strengthened and get my cardio up and Im sure it wont be enough.

Get there early and give yourself time to acclimatize.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371680 07/17/16 01:17 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Layering is key. Don't forget some lightweight rain gear. Have a good pack. That time of year can be anything at any time.

Good hunting!!

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371735 07/17/16 02:45 AM
H
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Great advice guys! If anyone has anything to add it would be appreciated!

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371812 07/17/16 04:01 AM
C
cblackall Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
I've hunted Wyoming in September for antelope, and November for elk. Expect and prepare for all weather. The week after our antelope hunt, they had a massive snow storm, and the first two days of our elk hunt were hot, dry and sunny. As was said above, layering is key, and lightweight packable jackets and rainwear are great. Merino wool is awesome for base layers, and primaloft outerwear is warm, light and packs easy. My main garments were core4element's element jacket and pants, with a merino base layer. They're built like the majority of performance gear from Sitka, Kuiu and some of the new Under Armour. Also, knee pads and gloves are a must have if you're hunting open terrain and need to close the distance on your hands and knees. It's amazing how invisible that cactus becomes. Also gaiters aren't bad to have around to keep snow and sage out of your boots.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371838 07/17/16 05:12 AM
E
elephantman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Fleece long Johns turn any pants into lined pants

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371862 07/17/16 09:47 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Snow gators could be the difference between suffering and enjoying the hunt!

Shooting sticks and great glass are just as important as the clothing your wearing, along with a range finder.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6371938 07/17/16 01:50 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I love wool hunting clothes for wyoming, warm and quiet. Merion for the base is solid advice, I then wear a wool shirt and if real cold a wool coat. If it is wet then you need a shell. Wool pants are great if it is really cold and wet but not necessary if you have gators. Get a neck gator too in case it gets really cold life saver. As said above layers are key it will allow you to adjust to conditions. Good boots are key too and wear them working out here in TX will insure comfort in the mountains. I am heading to NW wyo the following week for elk. I wish you the best of luck.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6372697 07/18/16 04:10 AM
H
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Thanks for all the advice guys! Now I have a solid list put together of things I need to take with me. Can someone recommend a good pack? I carry a backpack to the stand here with me in Texas but it's probably not a good option for Wyoming.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6372756 07/18/16 07:30 AM
J
jae011 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
Thanks for all the advice guys! Now I have a solid list put together of things I need to take with me. Can someone recommend a good pack? I carry a backpack to the stand here with me in Texas but it's probably not a good option for Wyoming.

I have a Kuiu pack and love it. Eberlestock, Tenzing also make a hell of a pack. Badlands also seem to be good quality but I have no experience with them. I can say from experience cheaping out on your pack (or any of your gear for that matter) is a mistake you will quickly regret.

Last edited by jae011; 07/18/16 07:32 AM.
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6372897 07/18/16 01:56 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
you also might read thru the DIY Elk Hunt 2016 for a very comprehensive list of things to take with you, recommendations on packs, clothing, gear, etc.

if hunting on foot, your boots and socks are critical in my opinion. Your feet staying comfortable and dry will make or break your trip! Blisters early on will ruin your experience and drastically limit where you go.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6373713 07/18/16 11:41 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You have 3 months to get in shape for the mountains, If you work in an office building and have stairs, time to stop using the elevators and walking the stairs, both ways, up and down. If not find someplace that does have stairs that you can walk. Even stairs at home are better than nothing. At home don't forget to carry your pack and rifle. At an office bldg., carry a brief case, rifles might scare people.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6374807 07/19/16 06:53 PM
H
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Jae: I will check into those Kuiu packs. I've read good things about their products.

PMK: That's a good idea. I have a list going and this would enable me to compare it to that list.

Dogcatcher: Thank goodness for having 3 months to get into shape. I have been battling heel spurs all late spring/early summer and I'm way behind on my conditioning. Been putting in 60+ miles a week in on a bike along with lots of crunches and lifting weights. Fixing to start running steps at the high school football stands.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6375111 07/19/16 11:40 PM
N
NMGW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I would also add moleskin to my list, I never go on any hunt without it, blisters really can ruin a hunt. My wife years ago bought several pairs of smartwool socks and I rarely get blisters when I wear them, but when one starts to pop up I put on the moleskin, it has saved me several times.

New Mexico: Not Really New, Not Really Mexico
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6375394 07/20/16 02:52 AM
H
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
H
Sound advice NMGW. Little things that could ruin a trip.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6375690 07/20/16 01:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Thanks NMGW
That is exactly the kind of list I was looking for. Now I just gotta find some insulated pants that are long enough. Lol

Mountain Hardware fleeced lined(yumalino) They have inseams up to 34" normally find them for $65-80

id also consider Parna Zion stretch pants and add a long underwear(synthetic or wool) That way you can layer effectively.

I run an EXO mountain packs. Kuiu, Kifaru and stone glacier are great pack can't go wrong with any of the four. (They are expensive, if it's a one time deal for you look at elberstock, close out Easton packs, badlands, alps, cabelas/basspro etc)

Mole skin works but I have found the black gorilla tape works better and you can wrap a few feet around a bic lighter(2 birds one stone).

Gaiters are a must(kuiu or mountainhardwear pinnicle strech xt). Rain gear is always good but rifle hunting I'd look at solid colored non-hunting brand hardshells(typical find them cheaper) get pit zips.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6375735 07/20/16 02:14 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Also consider a nalgene bottle(s)over just a hydration pack. The bottle won't freeze up as easily as the hydration tube plus you can monitor your water intake easier. Personal preference more or less

Several belt carries out there. The Kifaru makes a good one but expensive(and indestructible but not insulated)

I'm a fan of the 18650 battery headlamps like zebra light. Run time is awesome used one battery for 6 days worth of hunting last year in NM(probably used it 4 hrs a day). With that said its an expensive start up( light, batteries, charger).

Zebra makes AA and AAA lights also.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6375768 07/20/16 02:33 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
My biggest mistake last year in terms of clothing was

A) finding the loudest pants ever made ( I said this because I know others would chime in)

B) more importantly. Dressed to warm in the morning. I was worried about the temps too much that I put too much on. Once I got moving and warmed up I was way to hot.

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6375781 07/20/16 02:41 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
What pants did you use?

Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter] #6375825 07/20/16 03:02 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Marisa Tomei " Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A $%#^%& bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a %@^* what kind of pants the SOB who shot you was wearing? rofl

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hook_n_line] #6375836 07/20/16 03:08 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
What pants did you use?

Stika dew pants

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
Marisa Tomei " Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A $%#^%& bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a %@^* what kind of pants the SOB who shot you was wearing? rofl

If you are caught on the mountain in a rain storm and you don't have good clothes you will regret it

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide