Forum Stats
60466 Members
45 Forums
476058 Topics
6244950 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6371421 - 07/16/16 04:18 PM Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear?
hollidayHunter Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Great State of Texas!!
Hey guys,
I was lucky enough to draw a mule deer tag in Wyoming Laramie Peak area for this fall and Im not sure what kind of clothes to take. I took my coveralls and insulated boots up there a couple of weeks ago when we were there for vacation. I bought a fleece shirt and some Under Armour cold gear from the Cabelas bargain bin, but I'm not sure what kind of pants to wear. I have long legs and most camo pants are way to short. Any suggestions would be appreciated

#6371440 - 07/16/16 04:42 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
NMGW Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: New Mexico
Like most of the Rockies you don't know what your going to get in the fall, could be 80 degrees or a foot "or more" of snow. More important is to be in shape, the altitude will be a shock coming from Texas. Here is a list I took of an outfitters website and it what I pack for a Mule Deer, or Elk hunt.

Blaze Orange cap or brimmed cap
Outdoor Insulated & Non-Insulated pants
Various wool layers & base layers are recommended
Underwear, socks (preferably wool)
Waterproof Hunting or Hiking boots with ankle support
Comfortable shoes for lounging
Light, medium & heavy weight gloves
Waterproof rain tops & bottoms
Cold & mild weather coats
Gun Hunters in Wyoming are required to wear at least ONE article of orange while in the field.

#6371483 - 07/16/16 05:09 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
Bird Dog

Thanks NMGW
That is exactly the kind of list I was looking for. Now I just gotta find some insulated pants that are long enough. Lol

#6371580 - 07/16/16 06:44 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
Eyesofahunter Online   content
Woodsman

Loc: Hill Country of Texas
What month are you going and how are you hunting, foot,horses, truck?
The weather there can and does change at the drop of a hat. Are you flying or driving to Wyoming.

Second on the get in shape the best you can.

#6371595 - 07/16/16 06:58 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
Bird Dog

Flying into Denver on Oct 15th. Will mostly be hunting on foot with lots of glassing. I found out about the weather this summer when you could see thunderstorms start rolling in over the mountains every afternoon. Ive been putting in lots of miles on the bike trying to get my legs strengthened and get my cardio up and Im sure it wont be enough.

#6371663 - 07/16/16 08:00 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
HWY_MAN Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Howard County
Originally Posted By: hollidayHunter
Flying into Denver on Oct 15th. Will mostly be hunting on foot with lots of glassing. I found out about the weather this summer when you could see thunderstorms start rolling in over the mountains every afternoon. Ive been putting in lots of miles on the bike trying to get my legs strengthened and get my cardio up and Im sure it wont be enough.

Get there early and give yourself time to acclimatize.

#6371680 - 07/16/16 08:17 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
Layering is key. Don't forget some lightweight rain gear. Have a good pack. That time of year can be anything at any time.

Good hunting!!

#6371735 - 07/16/16 09:45 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
Bird Dog

Great advice guys! If anyone has anything to add it would be appreciated!

#6371812 - 07/16/16 11:01 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
cblackall Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Lewisville, TX
I've hunted Wyoming in September for antelope, and November for elk. Expect and prepare for all weather. The week after our antelope hunt, they had a massive snow storm, and the first two days of our elk hunt were hot, dry and sunny. As was said above, layering is key, and lightweight packable jackets and rainwear are great. Merino wool is awesome for base layers, and primaloft outerwear is warm, light and packs easy. My main garments were core4element's element jacket and pants, with a merino base layer. They're built like the majority of performance gear from Sitka, Kuiu and some of the new Under Armour. Also, knee pads and gloves are a must have if you're hunting open terrain and need to close the distance on your hands and knees. It's amazing how invisible that cactus becomes. Also gaiters aren't bad to have around to keep snow and sage out of your boots.

#6371838 - 07/17/16 12:12 AM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
elephantman Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Cedar Park, Texas
Fleece long Johns turn any pants into lined pants

#6371862 - 07/17/16 04:47 AM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Snow gators could be the difference between suffering and enjoying the hunt!

Shooting sticks and great glass are just as important as the clothing your wearing, along with a range finder.

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6371938 - 07/17/16 08:50 AM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
Eyesofahunter Online   content
Woodsman

Loc: Hill Country of Texas
I love wool hunting clothes for wyoming, warm and quiet. Merion for the base is solid advice, I then wear a wool shirt and if real cold a wool coat. If it is wet then you need a shell. Wool pants are great if it is really cold and wet but not necessary if you have gators. Get a neck gator too in case it gets really cold life saver. As said above layers are key it will allow you to adjust to conditions. Good boots are key too and wear them working out here in TX will insure comfort in the mountains. I am heading to NW wyo the following week for elk. I wish you the best of luck.

#6372697 - 07/17/16 11:10 PM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
Bird Dog

Thanks for all the advice guys! Now I have a solid list put together of things I need to take with me. Can someone recommend a good pack? I carry a backpack to the stand here with me in Texas but it's probably not a good option for Wyoming.

#6372756 - 07/18/16 02:30 AM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
jae011 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: eagle mt lake,TX
Originally Posted By: hollidayHunter
Thanks for all the advice guys! Now I have a solid list put together of things I need to take with me. Can someone recommend a good pack? I carry a backpack to the stand here with me in Texas but it's probably not a good option for Wyoming.

I have a Kuiu pack and love it. Eberlestock, Tenzing also make a hell of a pack. Badlands also seem to be good quality but I have no experience with them. I can say from experience cheaping out on your pack (or any of your gear for that matter) is a mistake you will quickly regret.

Edited by jae011 (07/18/16 02:32 AM)

#6372897 - 07/18/16 08:56 AM Re: Hunting in Wyoming....what to wear? [Re: hollidayHunter]
PMK Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)
you also might read thru the DIY Elk Hunt 2016 for a very comprehensive list of things to take with you, recommendations on packs, clothing, gear, etc.

if hunting on foot, your boots and socks are critical in my opinion. Your feet staying comfortable and dry will make or break your trip! Blisters early on will ruin your experience and drastically limit where you go.

~PMK~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide