Forums46
Topics537,952
Posts9,731,004
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls #6370862 07/16/16 04:52 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline OP
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ultra-long-range.htm

Since I am now the resident expert on Long Ranging, courtesy the First and Finest of THF grin
LOL jk jk. (I really am kidding here. Don't be triggered or get your panties all twisted.)

I do remember reading on here that the .270 is not the go-to for long range hunting or shooting and that might-is-right, magnums are the bigger fandom. Mr. Hawks here has a compelling argument.

Jokes aside, I don't know what to make of this piece. Anyone who won't get on the soap box for/against 270s, 7mm's, 6.5's, 300s, or 308s for that matter, care to explain it to me? Or at least your analysis.

Here's what I get: unless you're shooting 1000yd+ steel/competition, a 270 will get you by. I might be dead-wrong, so help me out here.

Last edited by chital_shikari; 07/16/16 04:56 AM.
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6370905 07/16/16 11:28 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
"Rifles and cartridges suitable for shooting medium size big game at ranges much beyond 300 yards are relatively few. Shooters with the experience and ability to take advantage of these rifles and cartridges are even fewer."

Chuck is talking about hunting cartridges, used by hunters. - So his article directly addresses the intended audience here on the Texas Hunting Forum.

This is one reason why his mention of maximum point blank range figures are particularly relevant here.

His observations and advice are right on the money and it is true. - The 270 Winchester shooting 130 grain bullets is an excellent choice for long range hunting shots out to and slightly past 300 yards. He does not mention anything about unsportsman-like shots at ranges far beyond the capability of almost all hunters in his article, much less encourage that particular type of behavior among inexperienced hunters, the ones most likely to find the idea of lobbing projectiles at game animals from extreme ranges to be fascinating.

Experienced sportsmen know that lobbing projectiles from extreme ranges is no substitute for basic hunting skills that will get you within reasonable shooting range of a game animal.

The long-range shooting enthusiasts who insist upon hanging out here on the Texas Hunting Forum instead of one of the more appropriate long range shooting forums will of course disagree, and tell us why Chuck is way off base from their perspective. How well those arguments will apply to Texas hunters will be up to the readers here on the Texas Hunters Forum to individually decide.

Last edited by charlesb; 07/16/16 11:57 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6370922 07/16/16 12:10 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
popcorn

..this ought to be fun and a good excercise in the Dead Dog Days of Summer...

Can't say I wasn't warned about the summer humidity down here at the Edge of the Pine Forest...but jeezLouise it gets boring with cabin fever, where the BH can trap me into Inside HoneyDoo's I was hoping to avoid until Fall...
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6370956 07/16/16 01:09 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I dont know of more than 1 or 2 posters who hunt at extreme long ranges. Even the long range shooters seem to keep their shots on deer to under 400 yards.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371027 07/16/16 02:04 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Even if it is explained again , it will not be retained again

It would be a waist of time

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: Brother in-law] #6371035 07/16/16 02:10 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

laugh

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: TFF Caribou] #6371091 07/16/16 02:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I dont know of more than 1 or 2 posters who hunt at extreme long ranges. Even the long range shooters seem to keep their shots on deer to under 400 yards.

I hope that's true. It doesn't appear to be in many cases. Every time this subject comes up, it seems to draw multiple posts of "DRT" shots at extreme distances. My thoughts when I see them are:

1)Internet hyperbole;
2)What about the misses/wounded animals?; and/or
3)Can't you get closer?

I think the angst often comes from the fact that hunters come on asking questions about this or that cartridge/bullet, and within a few posts the direction goes to long-range stuff like BC, dialing scopes, etc. It just seems to be the "in" thing these days everyone is fascinated with - which is cool and fun and all, but rarely applicable to where the vast majority of folks (me included) should be when hunting, which is 400 and under.

So much emphasis on 1/2 minute accuracy, long-range equipment, this and that... Why? Because folks can buy it and feel like it gives them an advantage. But does it really when it comes to hunting?

David Petzal wrote this, and I pretty much agree with it:

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371157 07/16/16 04:03 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
The guys I see posting about hunting at extreme long ranges are usually talking about hogs or coyotes. Neither of which I have an issue with taking 800 yard shots at. I know there are plenty of guys out there taking extreme long range shots on deer, but I just don't see THFers posting about it much. Every now and then Derrick will post pics of a customers animal shot at 500+ yards, but that usually the only thing I see about it.

ALOT of guys here shoot steel and paper at extreme long ranges, but seem to shoot animals at a much shorter distance. I've seen several say, practice at 800, and 400 becomes much easier.

Last edited by Tff caribou; 07/16/16 04:04 PM.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371158 07/16/16 04:03 PM
D
DStroud Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
I'll take the bait. aim
First statement is my LR Big Game rifle currently is a 280 Remington shooting 168gr Berger's at 2880.
In my Ballistic program it says today sitting here in Waco my PBR is 280 yards. My PBR is set at 5 inches below LOS so my 280 load is not even what Chuck Hawke's considers LR cartridge BUT he is using a 3 inch high at 100 sight-in vs my 1 inch and I have a 200 yard zero all in all mine would work out to a 275-285 yard MPBR. So if I am reading this article correctly I should limit my shots to approximately 275 yards??
Well that's strange as in the first 5 minutes of my Elk hunt last season I dropped a Bull in his tracks just propping on a fence post at almost 100 yards past that. I had a few weeks prior laid on the ground and put first shot hits on steel targets(smaller than elk vitals) out to 800 yards with the same gun.

So while making the argument you don't need a Magnum to shoot out to longer ranges I do know that my combo due to energy or whatever measurement you care to use is probably a 400-500 yard elk cartridge and if I actually planned to take longer shots I would need to step up in power.

This might be a good time to insert that for most of my adult life I NEVER took a gun Big game hunting I was strictly a bowhunter with most of my kills with a recurve....in fact my only two "book" kills are archery so no one need go down the git closer path. wink

I am pretty old school when it comes to hunting and shooting but aren't we all intrigued by that long shot possibility? Years ago we all were limited to Chucks theory of MPBR because we could not judge distances well enough to reliability hit targets past PBR. Now with the advent of Rangefinder's all can easily get the exact distance to a target with the touch of a button. That IMO is the cause of all the increased interest in LR shooting which has brought on all these great new rifles/optics/ High BC bullets etc to meet those challenges.

I know Derrick with Horizon Firearms just returned from Africa which he says is a LR shooters paradise due to terrain and I am sure animals with exceptional senses that can be tough to get close to as they travel in herds. Anyway I believe he took 6 animals from a couple of hundred yards out to a Big Kudu at over 700 yards with no misses and no lost animals using 6.5 Creedmoor for smaller animals and the 28 Nosler for larger.
With the knowledge and the right equipment under the right conditions LR range hunting is ethical and doable.

One more brag on my part. Last weekend I shot my 28 Nosler at a 18 inch steel target at 1000 yards with a front rest BUT no rear rest so just propping on my fist and had 13 consecutive hits using 195gr Berger Hunting bullets. This was in a swirling 5-15 mph wind that gave all us that were shooting .308's prior to that fits.

Since the OP asked about 270 Win all I would say is with the right bullets and the correct twist rate no reason it shouldn't work to the same distance as my 280 or other similar cartridges. The main thing to remember is just hitting an animal at longer distance is just half the battle. You also need to consider bullet weight /construction/velocity at impact as you still have to actually kill the animal cleanly. Brian Litz's book Applied Ballistics's For Long range shooting actually has a chapter on the Lethality of LR hunting bullets and is a good read.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371165 07/16/16 04:16 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
From what I gather even the LR guys on here are not magnum guys for the most part. Looks like the 6.5s are real popular to me.....

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6371194 07/16/16 04:47 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

I hope that's true. It doesn't appear to be in many cases. Every time this subject comes up, it seems to draw multiple posts of "DRT" shots at extreme distances. My thoughts when I see them are:

1)Internet hyperbole;
2)What about the misses/wounded animals?; and/or
3)Can't you get closer?

I think the angst often comes from the fact that hunters come on asking questions about this or that cartridge/bullet, and within a few posts the direction goes to long-range stuff like BC, dialing scopes, etc. It just seems to be the "in" thing these days everyone is fascinated with - which is cool and fun and all, but rarely applicable to where the vast majority of folks (me included) should be when hunting, which is 400 and under.

So much emphasis on 1/2 minute accuracy, long-range equipment, this and that... Why? Because folks can buy it and feel like it gives them an advantage. But does it really when it comes to hunting?

David Petzal wrote this, and I pretty much agree with it:

Great quote. cheers

I would not shoot at a deer more than 400 yards away. My longest shot was 345 yards with a 270 130gr. I have really enjoyed getting into hitting steel at long distances with the 308. Great way to enjoy the off season months.

I agree with the author when it comes to medium size game like white tails. And I also would not hesitate using the same rifle and bullet on an Elk 400 yards or less. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371213 07/16/16 05:09 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Most modern rifles, when sighted in dead on at 200 yards, will hit roughly 6-8" low at 300. There's really not much difference in a .308 and a 300 mag at those distances. And, 3-400 yards is plenty far on a game animal.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371234 07/16/16 05:42 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371336 07/16/16 07:30 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
This:

Quote:

The ethical limit for hunting shots is about however far your bullet can fly in 1/2 second. Any farther than that and the animal can and will move unpredictably during bullet flight and could easily end up gut shot.

Generally that equates to about 400 yards for magnums, 300-350 yards for non-magum bottleneck hunting cartridges, and potentially less for really slow things like .45-70s.

Of course, there are other limits - the accuracy of your rifle and wind doping, energy on target, minimum functional velocity for the bullet you're using etc. But even if all those are OK, the limits above still apply.

being an ethical hunter is being a good representative for all hunters. If you want to drop animals at long range just to test your skill, varminting is a much better choice than big game hunting. Varmint covers a lot of range, from prairie dog to feral hog and people are generally happy with a reduction in the pest population.

I will not bother to name names, but there is at least one member of this forum who has actually bragged about shooting deer at 800 yards.

This is the direct opposite of sportsmanship, taking the manhood out of the manly sport of big game hunting in Texas. - Or anywhere else, for that matter.

Last edited by charlesb; 07/16/16 07:33 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371351 07/16/16 07:46 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
One guy? 600-1000+ yard hunting is the new rage now. Ever watch Best of the West? YouTube? Even on here 600+ shots on deer are pretty routinely discussed.

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371372 07/16/16 08:07 PM
Ritter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I'm so glad there are members of the THF to serve as my moral and ethical compass.
Thanks for saving me from the dark side.

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371509 07/16/16 10:44 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Farthest shot I've ever taken at a deer (years ago with my first .30-06) was approx. 320 yards with about a 4" hold over. The shot was low and a second shot was needed to anchor the deer. Since then most shots I take are within 150 yards. Self imposed limitation I guess. It's what I'm comfortable with within my skill level until I start practicing at longer distances.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371523 07/16/16 11:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I am excited to take a long range shooting class hopefully soon. I will still probably keep everything under 400. But I'm sure it will help my skill level and be a lot of fun.

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371544 07/16/16 11:20 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I really need to do the same.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: Brother in-law] #6371549 07/16/16 11:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6371550 07/16/16 11:23 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ultra-long-range.htm

Since I am now the resident expert on Long Ranging, courtesy the First and Finest of THF grin
LOL jk jk. (I really am kidding here. Don't be triggered or get your panties all twisted.)

I do remember reading on here that the .270 is not the go-to for long range hunting or shooting and that might-is-right, magnums are the bigger fandom. Mr. Hawks here has a compelling argument.

Jokes aside, I don't know what to make of this piece. Anyone who won't get on the soap box for/against 270s, 7mm's, 6.5's, 300s, or 308s for that matter, care to explain it to me? Or at least your analysis.

Here's what I get: unless you're shooting 1000yd+ steel/competition, a 270 will get you by. I might be dead-wrong, so help me out here.

A 270 with a good bullet will do right be most hunters in Texas. If you start talking about other game. I.e. Elk, bear, etc. I will take a magnum.

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6371627 07/17/16 12:09 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Great quote. cheers

I would not shoot at a deer more than 400 yards away. My longest shot was 345 yards with a 270 130gr. I have really enjoyed getting into hitting steel at long distances with the 308. Great way to enjoy the off season months.

I agree with the author when it comes to medium size game like white tails. And I also would not hesitate using the same rifle and bullet on an Elk 400 yards or less. up

My longest shot was about 330 with a .270 and 130 grains also. CoreLokt. I'm 57 and most of my shots are well under 200 yards.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6373084 07/18/16 04:28 PM
B
bside Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
The article is not about "extreme long range" at all. It is about MPBR.

Those are not the same or anywhere near the same.

No discussion of wind drift or anything that an actual Extreme Long Range Shooter would care about.

for a 300 yard shot, .270 is a perfectly adequate cartridge to use on any native Texas animal. But nobody has ever questioned that... I'm not sure whose feathers this is supposed to ruffle? the headline and the actual article say very different things.

Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6373111 07/18/16 04:52 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
From what I gather even the LR guys on here are not magnum guys for the most part. Looks like the 6.5s are real popular to me.....

Don't think you're paying close enough attention.

To go just "shoot" most of us shoot short actions of some sort. 6mm variant (6X47, 6 Creedmoor, 243, ect) 6.5 mm variant along the same lines, 7mm variant along the same lines, as well as a good ole .308

But if it's time to go kill something at some distance, many of us show up with a long action cartridge with lots of powder, thereby increasing foot pounds of energy. I.E. 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, and so on. We really don't care about how much energy is delivered to a piece of steel, but it certainly matters on an animal of any size.

I take the big gun for mule deer and elk.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Neat Chuck Hawks article that will likely offend the magnum fangirls [Re: chital_shikari] #6373128 07/18/16 05:10 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Magnums were invented to drive heavy bullets faster than a non-magnum cartridge would, not be able to shoot extreme distances.

Most magnum cartridges have trajectories very similar to standard cartridges when loaded with mid to heavy for caliber bullets.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide