With the example above but change powder to Varget and 90% burned by 5.75 inches with the other 10% burned over the next 13.6 inches or so of bullet travel.
You are correct, Kevin. I am a bit perplexed...this goes against what some highly regarded gun writers have said and which I always took as gospel. I haven't made much use of this function in QL, and after playing around with a few cartridges and powders I have seen some stuff that really surprised me. The few times I did check out the consumption curve, I saw confirmation of the "first few inches" dictum and never messed with it thereafter. After having played with it a bit this evening with a variety of cartridges, I can see I'm going to have to play with it a lot more to get a handle on some of the surprises I discovered.
The thing is, though, once a bullet has traveled down the bore 10 or 12 inches the pressure will have fallen to about half of the peak value, and the the volume of containment will have expanded several times making the additional gas provided by the burn of the last few percent of the charge almost, if not entirely inconsequential in terms of velocity.
It's actually a pretty interesting thing, and I'll be looking at some of the things I've seen that really surprised me.