Print Thread
Waterfowling from a kayak? #6367013 07/12/16 06:20 PM
M
M Wilson Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Has anyone out here ever hunted out of a kayak?
Current state: This being my second duck season ever, I am spending the most of my budget on gear: decoys, better waders, maybe a better shotgun, calls, etc. So a jon boat will have to wait til next year. I mostly do public hunting withing a couple hours of DFW and am kicking around the idea of a kayak. Mostly for maneuverability and I will be hunting solo. I'm getting to old *coughlazycough* to walk in every time.
has anyone had any experience with kayak waterfowling? tips/tricks/gripes/moans/complaints?

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6367065 07/12/16 07:16 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Never!
If your buying one, pay attention to load rating and the weight of you and your gear wet. Get it before fall, get out in it someplace safe and purposely tip it over to get an idea what it's limitations are. Sit on tops are the safest, but when they fail from overloading or rough water, they fail catastrophic. Sit ins hold the most gear, but they can take on water and fail in rough weather/water. Buy earth tone or camo color, don't expect to buy the red or yellow promo kayak and think camo paint will work. Along with load rating, buy bigger than you think you will need. 12ft minimum and even that is too small IMO. Different situations you can use one as a layout blind, you can just use it for access and ditch it when you get there, or you can scull and hunt from it on the go as long as it has no motor or sail. Most kayaks big enough for carrying gear and or hunting out of may cost more than a jon boat. But with kayak you can paddle, portage, push, pull, needle through timber, and pole to places both the power boats and walkers can't get to. A boat cart is a wonderful thing to have. Consider a canoe as well. You can safely carry an incredible amount of gear in a large canoe.

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6367071 07/12/16 07:25 PM
M
M Wilson Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Good points to consider.
I have seen some plans for home made stabilizers that are retractable and I would add those.
"buy bigger than you think you need" is an excellent point to consider

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6367302 07/12/16 11:36 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Your dog may jump out just fine but you had best paddle your butt to shore before he/she gets back with the duck.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6367319 07/12/16 11:46 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
It's harder for them getting out than in. Its not a problem. I have my boats set up to have a place for the dog behind me. I put a closed cell foam mat for traction to jump out and to insulate from the cold wet floor. Train them where they belong and where to get back in. Then a simple assist grabbing the collar or vest. And most of the time while hunting the boat is stationary on bank or a few inches deep. Do the training during summer as you will get wet.

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6367541 07/13/16 03:17 AM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I use the Ascend 12 ft from bass pro shops. Earth green color. Can hold a couple dozen decoys, gun and blind bag just fine. Get the longest yak paddle you can find. Unless I'm seeing divers out in the lake I almost never hunt out of my yak. I get out and wade when I get to my spot. Tie a rope on the front so you can pull it behind you and then tie it up to trees/brush. I use aluminum caribiners to secure gear to the yak. The biggest pain is getting the yak to and from the water when lakes are low (not much of a problem last year) I use a homemade cart/dolly. Make or get one with a wide base as the yak will try to tip on uneven surfaces...which seem to be the norm! I camo up my cart and just store it in the brush where I put in...or you can brake it down and carry in the yak. I've not been in rough water yet but i have been in water where about every 7th wave or so is coming over the nose. It does not take much! Keep as much weight in the rear if you do get caught in a little rough water (keep that nose up) Just keep the plugs pulled so the water can drain. Be smart and launch on calm sides of lakes and you should be fine. My first experience in my yak I crossed a major creek arm on an area lake 2 hours before shooting light. Kinda earry feeling knowing I was in 30 plus ft of water in the dark way out into the lake. All I could think about was my beneli sinking to the bottom lol. (keep your gun in a floating case tied to the yak!) I've had some GREAT hunts using my yak. You are limited to a certain distance and to calmer sides of lakes but there are plenty of areas to use them. Plus you can put in where boats can't. The furthermost I went....not sure I can go check the map but we paddled 45 minutes STRONG a few times. Thats about 2 -2.5 miles or close to it. But I try to keep it 30 minutes or less.

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: BDB] #6367824 07/13/16 02:54 PM
D
Dfwguy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: BDB
I use the Ascend 12 ft from bass pro shops. Earth green color. Can hold a couple dozen decoys, gun and blind bag just fine. Get the longest yak paddle you can find. Unless I'm seeing divers out in the lake I almost never hunt out of my yak. I get out and wade when I get to my spot. Tie a rope on the front so you can pull it behind you and then tie it up to trees/brush. I use aluminum caribiners to secure gear to the yak. The biggest pain is getting the yak to and from the water when lakes are low (not much of a problem last year) I use a homemade cart/dolly. Make or get one with a wide base as the yak will try to tip on uneven surfaces...which seem to be the norm! I camo up my cart and just store it in the brush where I put in...or you can brake it down and carry in the yak. I've not been in rough water yet but i have been in water where about every 7th wave or so is coming over the nose. It does not take much! Keep as much weight in the rear if you do get caught in a little rough water (keep that nose up) Just keep the plugs pulled so the water can drain. Be smart and launch on calm sides of lakes and you should be fine. My first experience in my yak I crossed a major creek arm on an area lake 2 hours before shooting light. Kinda earry feeling knowing I was in 30 plus ft of water in the dark way out into the lake. All I could think about was my beneli sinking to the bottom lol. (keep your gun in a floating case tied to the yak!) I've had some GREAT hunts using my yak. You are limited to a certain distance and to calmer sides of lakes but there are plenty of areas to use them. Plus you can put in where boats can't. The furthermost I went....not sure I can go check the map but we paddled 45 minutes STRONG a few times. Thats about 2 -2.5 miles or close to it. But I try to keep it 30 minutes or less.

What did you make the kayak dolly out of if you don't mind me asking?

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6368262 07/13/16 10:20 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I made 2 actually. I used pvc pipe. The axle is a 5/8 threaded rod. Lock nuts and washers both sides and inside of wheels. The base could have been a few inches wider but i make do. If its really cold I have to watch how I stack the weight. PVC will snap if its cold and the weight is all on the axle and your bouncing around to much. I put the dolly about 1/3 or maybe a little more than that under the yak (centered) . Then I put the dekes in the very rear, blind bag in the yak and over the axle. Shotgun just lays in front of the seat. That way when i pick it up on the front I'm just basically balancing it. There is a little forward weight but not much. When you go over rough spots turn around, grab the front of the yak with both hands and walk backwards till you get out of the rough. Keeps it from tipping. The top section of the dolly pulls off the bottom part so it will brake down. The axles is running thru pvc pipe also. I'll post some pics later

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6368297 07/13/16 10:50 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Make sure to use lock washers or you may find youself with a flywheel.

Nut and washer on the inside

Broken down

Notice the pin on the T closest in the pic. That's so the top not only stays connected to the bottom but it will keep the top from spinning off center from the bottom. Without that i sometimes had to deal with a yak and me going where I wanted to go but the wheels veering off in another direction. Now everything stays centered together.

I put pipe insulation around the pvc and secured with a zip tie. The extension rod out front is just a balance beam so you can load the yak all by youself. Do not glue it! It comes off when you get the yak loaded. Without that it will just fall over. The wheels are not air filled. Last thing you want to deal with is a flat tire. Get the airless tires. The string connecting the top support rods are so the one without the pin will not rotate out on its own. The black rope at the base of the vertical post are for my strap to connect to when I strap it down. You need to use a strap with a ratchet. Don't use the ones with just a pull tension lever. If your going over very smooth terrain then you can get away with alot. But I have went over some ROUGH $hit and that ratchet strap comes in handy!

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6368946 07/14/16 03:55 PM
T
TXCrossTimbers Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I tried it for the first time last year with mild success. I will be doing it again this year if anyone wants to paddle for some puddle ducks.

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: TXCrossTimbers] #6369124 07/14/16 06:10 PM
M
M Wilson Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Originally Posted By: TXCrossTimbers
I tried it for the first time last year with mild success. I will be doing it again this year if anyone wants to paddle for some puddle ducks.

TX, PM me if you ever need a buddy to go with.

Re: Waterfowling from a kayak? [Re: M Wilson] #6369197 07/14/16 07:22 PM
D
Dfwguy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
BDB - that's some good info right there! I like the balancing rod. I initially wanted to put something together that hooks into the scupper holes, but then read a few DIY articles that say that's the weakest spot of the kayak. So no go for that. I'm gonna give it a go this weekend I think.

Originally Posted By: M Wilson
Originally Posted By: TXCrossTimbers

TX, PM me if you ever need a buddy to go with.

I'm in too. I live in Houston now, but will be up in NETX quite a bit once the season starts...most of the time with the kayak in tow.

That being said - if anyone wants to paddle out and find some Teal down on the coast, PM me!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide