Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? #6368093 07/13/16 07:20 PM
mseanw Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I just returned with family from Limpopo and had superb time.
Whole family hunted and have 12 great trophies to show for it.
I had been planning on returning next year with just a buddy for few more trophies with main purpose being Cape Buff.
However, I got sticker shock recently and have been told prices going up due to supply/demand.
While i love the outfitter, the return quotes for us are quite high.

Does anyone have recent or planned experience coming up regarding buff hunt in South Africa?
Any comments or thoughts on pricing?

thx
Mark

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6368100 07/13/16 07:24 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I too had planned a Cape hunt after going on a plains game hunt but found out what the sticker prices were and after doing a lot of looking & pricing, I traded my cape buff gun for an elk gun and am going to stay in the USA.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6368103 07/13/16 07:28 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Look at Zimbabwe. The country is a wreck, but the hunts are still safe and probably more affordable. Namibia is another option, but possibly more expensive. There's a lot more to Africa than South Africa.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6368114 07/13/16 07:41 PM
mseanw Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Yes, I agree more to Africa, no doubt.
I had such a great time with the outfitter and he is proven to me that I thought a good idea to go back.
But, I have to consider going with different outfitter and/or elsewhere.
Was hoping to get it nailed down soon for May of next year, but waiting until DSC or SCI shows to talk to others makes some sense also.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6368128 07/13/16 07:48 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Mozambique is another option, but you have to be really patient when it comes to them getting your trophies out. Plus, hunting them on the flats/swamps isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Mine were all out of Zim.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: Creekrunner] #6368185 07/13/16 09:02 PM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Mozambique is another option, but you have to be really patient when it comes to them getting your trophies out. Plus, hunting them on the flats/swamps isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Mine were all out of Zim.

Hunted the Zambezi Delta swamps in 2010. Mozambique is a mess as a country but the people are very nice, the country's motto should be "It's been worse". The delta is a great spot for buff, hippo and croc. We sat eating dinner and crocs could be seen across the river on the beach.

Mark

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6368707 07/14/16 01:08 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
How much where you quoted to hunt buffalo in South Africa? I've been following the pricing on them and have seen a rapid decline in pricing for buffalo and sable. A couple of years ago, cape buffalo in South Africa on high fenced ranches was in the $12,000 range and sable where $7,000. I got an offer yesterday from an outfitter for both at $12,000 with a buffalo up to 40 inches and sable up to 42 inches. I think he is still on the high side.

If you just want a buffalo, there are a lot of offers for up to 40 inch bulls at $8,000 from airport pickup to drop off and everything included except dipping, packing and shipping.

From what I understand, the outfitters and game ranches have all started stocking cape buffalo and there are a lot more animals out there then hunters. They need to control the numbers and with the cost of oil down, the economy in freefall, there are fewer people going on safari. The exchange rate for South Africa is also declining, they're hurting for US dollars and I've been told it's better to make a buck this year, then hold out for two bucks next year.

My favorite deal right now is for a 42 inch cape buffalo, 42 inch sable and a roan for ten days, all inclusive for my wife and I at $16,000.

But I'm not sure if I want to go to South Africa for buffalo. It's such an iconic animals that it seems that to really enjoy the experience, it should be hunted outside of a fence. Mozambique has the best prices, but getting there is a challenge, and some of the outfitters are not very honest. www.africahunter.com has the best reviews

Facebook has some great groups for hunting Africa. That's where all the best deals come up. You just have to be sure it's not a scam since there are quite a few of them out there. Avoid anybody booking hunts from Russia or the countries next to her. Do your research and don't be in a rush. I honesty think that next year is going to be the year to go, but if you have the cash, the later we get to the end of the season, the better the last minute deals there will be.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6368785 07/14/16 02:11 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Shop around. There are some other hunting forums that specialize in Africa hunting, that have some incredible deals. I can PM the forum to you if you want me to. I got my buffalo in 2014 and the price has dropped significantly since then. If you were happy with the outfitter you hunted with express your concerns about the price to them. He will probably work something with the rand to dollar exchange rate being so favorable for the Americans right now. If not there are plenty of reputable outfitters out there.

By the way, the cover photo this month is of me with my Cape Buffalo I took in the Limpopo region in RSA. I hunted with Jaco Strauss at Kwalata Wilderness. I did a 16 day safari and it was one of the most adventurous hunts I have been on and one I will never forget. I forget how much it was (a lot) but it is a memory/experience that is priceless.

Enjoy you planning, that's half the fun of an African Safari.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6369062 07/14/16 05:17 PM
mseanw Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
Thank you for the responses.
16K for the roan, sable, and buff is rediculously cheap.
I have heard of a lot of scams of every type, so once have someone you trust is good to keep them.
I really loved the outfitter I was with and believe we will come to an agreement.
i like the cover photo and will hopefully have one of m own soon.
Trip will be cheaper as just paying for myself this time around as I took family with me in June.
I would be interested in other African hunting forums, I have never looked for them....

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6369079 07/14/16 05:31 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Might also want to chat with my outfitter. He does both SA and Zimbabwe Cape Buff hunts. He and his team are top notch and I'm hoping to go back for a buff myself in the next couple years. I do occasional booking for him and might be able to get you a discount.

http://www.twowaters.co.za/zimbabwehunts.html

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6369170 07/14/16 06:54 PM
F
Freeman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
F
I searched all over ranches in South Purmela and didn't see a one.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: EddieWalker] #6369271 07/14/16 08:38 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
...the later we get to the end of the season, the better the last minute deals there will be.

It gets a lot hotter at the end of the season. My first buffalo hunt was in October. It was successful, but with my migraines, it wasn't the wisest choice. I'd like to hunt West African Savannah buffalo in Benin, but their cooler months are about like it was on that hunt.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: Erny] #6369996 07/15/16 01:11 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: Erny

By the way, the cover photo this month is of me with my Cape Buffalo I took in the Limpopo region in RSA. I hunted with Jaco Strauss at Kwalata Wilderness.

I'd love to see the picture but haven't been able to figure out how to find the cover photo. Any chance that somebody can provide a link or tell me what button to push?

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6370328 07/15/16 06:36 PM
B
BuckFodder Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
I knocked down a couple buffalo at the Honkey Tonk the other night. East Texas is full of them.

Last edited by BuckFodder; 07/15/16 06:37 PM.
Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: EddieWalker] #6370337 07/15/16 06:43 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

By the way, the cover photo this month is of me with my Cape Buffalo I took in the Limpopo region in RSA. I hunted with Jaco Strauss at Kwalata Wilderness.

I'd love to see the picture but haven't been able to figure out how to find the cover photo. Any chance that somebody can provide a link or tell me what button to push?

Just click on your address bar at the top, then backspace/delete until just after the ".com", then hit 'enter'.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: EddieWalker] #6370387 07/15/16 07:44 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6370619 07/15/16 11:17 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You started it. None as wide as Erny's:

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6371072 07/16/16 02:32 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Creekrunner those are some dandies. If the price keeps dropping I plan on hunting a second one.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6371123 07/16/16 03:17 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Dang it guys! Now I've got the itch to go to Africa! Yall are gonna cost me a fortune!

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6371807 07/17/16 03:53 AM
mseanw Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
I would like 42" with nice curl and big bosses (but who doesnt lol)
Africa addicting. I am going with a buddy end of May. Just got back with wife and kids, and she wants to go back in 2018 for Springbuck slam and black wildebeest.
Expensive, but what memories.
Also, when someone comes to visit, you can relive the African hunt and not talk about shooting it in Texas (not that anything wrong with that, its just not for me)

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6375659 07/20/16 01:10 PM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I hunt them at least 3 times a month...............every night when I go to sleep!
banana2

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6375787 07/20/16 02:42 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I am on several African Forums and would say the prices are trending up in SA due to the restrictions on Lions. You have to make money on something...

I have seen some deals but you usually have to be willing to go soon, like with in a week of the hunt posting. PAC hunts are the best way to get a good deal. I saw a PAC hunt for 3 Buff(s) in SA near one of the smaller parks for $5,000. Only issue you have to shoot the animals and they are more than likely not huge trophies. However, they are still Cape Buff and can still kill you as dead as any Duga Boy.

I have been on 3 PAC hunts one for Elephant, one for Buff and Hippo and, one for Lion. On all hunts I killed at least 1 Buff.

Re: Anyone hunt Cape Buffalo recently? [Re: mseanw] #6377063 07/21/16 01:20 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Just Nate, what forums are you on? Africanhunting is the only one I know of. They seem to be steady on their prices and the members there get upset when anybody posts discounted prices, but in private emails with guys on there, the deals are real and they have had some great hunts.

I'm thinking of going in Aug 2017 and have been saying so on that site and on FB. Outfitters and booking agents have been sending me messages asking what I want, which I reply to. They send me prices and I tell them what others are offering. They keep dropping their prices to beat out the other guys. It's a bidding war with them right now. I saw it first with South Africa, but now i'm seeing offers on Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe coming down. Those other countries still have too many other fees to compete with SA on price, but they are low fence compared to high fence hunts.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide