Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: therancher] #6367977 07/13/16 05:14 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: therancher
Everyone can afford to hunt in Texas (and in fact every state they live in). But, it is in our new national psychie to find others/things to blame for issues that irritate us.

It's such a cop out to blame a market shift for your own individual lack of resourcefulness.

and that's what irritates me

entitlements, whiners, complainers ...

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cabosandinh] #6367979 07/13/16 05:17 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
Everyone can afford to hunt in Texas (and in fact every state they live in). But, it is in our new national psychie to find others/things to blame for issues that irritate us.

It's such a cop out to blame a market shift for your own individual lack of resourcefulness.

and that's what irritates me

entitlements, whiners, complainers ...

I still see the op being as much about new blood as anything.

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: A.B.] #6367989 07/13/16 05:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: A.B.
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: A.B.
Dayum, I didn't see this thing going like this. What I got from the OP was "how do we keep our sport alive with these prices".

Reiterate the fact we have public land and continuing to try to preserve it it for public use, while continuing to support all hunting and fishing rights.

My apologies. Land is the only expense in hunting.

Land and bullets and license is the only reoccurring expense, access is the major. It's a huge fight up north right now that and predation management.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6367997 07/13/16 05:37 PM
C
cmc Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
C
When I was stuck in traffic and got the text that the deposit was in and I realized my brother had booked an axis hunt for the same price I booked a week in a country half way around the world I thought it was odd so I posted because I was bored. I had no idea I was gonna wrinkle so many tampons and be called a whiner with sense of entitlement that beats dead horses, that escalated quickly. I've been on this forum for 12 years but not near as much as I used to and I remember now why. I'm not putting down what anybody is doing, go pay $1000 to hunt park ducks I don't care I just thought traveling the world should not cost the same as a single axis deer two hours from home but what do I know.

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368000 07/13/16 05:42 PM
R
RLoving1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
No opinion on this but does sound like some kind of season better get here soon! Some short fuses with this summer heat. I look at the expense of hunting and know I might get in some kind of hunting (dove for sure) then notice I'm spending the funds on new metal roof on house. I'm a wait and see type person when seasons get here.

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368043 07/13/16 06:20 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
An axis hunt has to be one of the most inflated price hunts there is. I do not blame anyone for charging what the market will bear, but they're coming outa the woodwork around here.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368053 07/13/16 06:35 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: cmc
When I was stuck in traffic and got the text that the deposit was in and I realized my brother had booked an axis hunt for the same price I booked a week in a country half way around the world I thought it was odd so I posted because I was bored. I had no idea I was gonna wrinkle so many tampons and be called a whiner with sense of entitlement that beats dead horses, that escalated quickly. I've been on this forum for 12 years but not near as much as I used to and I remember now why. I'm not putting down what anybody is doing, go pay $1000 to hunt park ducks I don't care I just thought traveling the world should not cost the same as a single axis deer two hours from home but what do I know.

All economics. That deer 2 hours from home is now a limited resource. Used to be things as native Texans we took for granted were cheap and everywhere for the taking. Now days not so much. Everybody wants a piece of the Texas pie so, hunting is also hugely popular. Just look at our population growth. International plane travel used to be a rarity now its fairly common so prices are cheap. I may be wrong but I bet people from Thailand probably dream of the economy and quality of life we have in Texas.

Alaska maybe the last frontier but Texas is one of the last great resource full, inhabitable places on earth that has not been entirely developed. We should all feel lucky to enjoy what wild is left for now... even at the cost it is now at least it's available.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368108 07/13/16 07:32 PM
T
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
All about what your priorities are in life.

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: Texmel] #6368143 07/13/16 08:08 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Everyone today feels entitled to drive a Ferrari. Even though most aren't willing to do what it takes to own one.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: therancher] #6368147 07/13/16 08:12 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Everyone today feels entitled to drive a Ferrari. Even though most aren't willing to do what it takes to own one.

Nah, most know they can't afford one. You are just jaded.

I look at my lease fees as a bargain. Few grand to have year around access to 10k acres that I can't afford and will probably never be able to afford.

To use your analogy, I pay a small percentage to drive your Ferrari and don't have to pay for the upkeep. I am perfectly happy with that cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368184 07/13/16 09:00 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Think the majority of the people that commented missed the point entirely. Yes, it is expensive, and i find it silly what some will pay but that's their prerogative. Recently had two out of state guys ask me about deer hunting in Texas. My response was I hope you have money if you're serious about killing deer

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368218 07/13/16 09:30 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas
it cost too much, period. I just booked four days fishing in Thialand and including airfare it came out to the cost of a hill country axis deer, that's ridiculous. I get it fishing ain't for everybody but I think it's more important to see and experience new places than to spend one day hunting a deer. How many have already been priced out and how long before many more are? We all say we need to save our sport but we make it real hard for new people to get in especially in Texas with no public land and extreme lease pricing. I won't quit hunting I'm very very lucky to be able to hunt several states a year at a greatly discounted price but I can see where a lot of people could just simply not afford hunting.

If everyone could afford it, then you would be complaining about how there are no spots to hunt and no animals to hunt. Things are fine the way they are, you choosing to spend a bunch of money catching carp is no different than someone spending a bunch of money chasing an axis. I used to make 24k a year and still managed to hunt a bunch (and not just at my dads place). If people want to hunt, they can do some research and figure out a way to do it.

Don't care how people spend their money or how much they got my point is the cost for what you get is not good. Your $350 axis is my point, yes you can do it for that but you will also have about a half day hunt and not much of an experience to show for it.

I've killed public land elk in Colorado and mule in Montana and I've paid too much for guided hunts so I understand cost and what you get for it. You have a hunting ranch I get it you got upset that I said hunting wasn't worth it, I still hunt and will until I die but that don't make it a good deal.

I do not own a hunting ranch, I also do not get upset with what anyone says on the internet. Trust me, nothing you said upset me in the slightest. I do however think hunting isn't cheap, and you wouldn't like it cheap. I also think a trip to Thailand isn't cheap. I don't really care wither way, also I don't complain about what it costs to hunt. When I was making 24k a year I also did not complain about what it cost to hunt. Probably meant more when I wasn't making much money either, also probably hunted more too. I did my research and found ways to make it happen. People can do the same today if they want, instead some just chose to spend their time complaining about something outside of their control instead of taking control and putting in some effort.

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368234 07/13/16 09:44 PM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Hunting my buddies ranch or my family's place is cheaper than going to Thailand to fish a few lakes.

Chew on that for a bit

Everyone's situation and opportunities are different

My god what's with all the butt hurt today. Everyone's situation is different and if you had read my post instead of coming in hot you may have read that a new guy trying to get in would likely be overwhelmed. I too have thousands of acres I hunt for free and family in states all over I hunt on but that is a rare situation as is yours. If me and you were new guys to this sport and had to start from scratch I could see how someone would be greatly discouraged with the cost.

there are states like Montana that have millions of acres of public land and you can actually hunt coyotes for about $15 my point to this whole thing was comparing what you get for the money. I guess it don't matter everybody has their own way of getting offended somehow so there's always gonna be somebody mad. I could give away a hunt on my land from my stand and somebody would b;tch that I didn't clean the animal.

I don't think a new guy would be discouraged with the cost? You are putting your own interpretation on it. When you first went hunting did you care if it were a buck or a doe? I didn't. So if I were to spend 350 bucks to shoot a doe, and spend the night out in the outdoors - well that sounds like a pretty good bargain. Heck I would spend that taking the wife to a hotel in san Antonio one night, going to a movie, and having dinner at a nice place. I borrow my buddies gun, spend 20 bucks on bullets and shoot a doe. I have food for 20 meals and it almost nets out to the 350 I spent. So how is that a bad deal? Once the guy gets hooked at that point he can choose to spend more if he wants to. But saying "it cost too much......period" is kind of a dumb statement. Haha not trying to be mean, it's just that "dumb statement" is the only way I can think of describing it.

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368246 07/13/16 09:56 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I don't ever critique what someone spends or does not spend to go on their first hunt or any hunt there after. Just as I would expect them to not critique what I wanted to spend to go on any hunt or any lease of my choice. There are hunts/leases to fit anyone's budget if you take the time to research or ask the right questions. I always get more from a hunt than what I put into it even back when I was just happy to see a deer, dove, quail or hog much less kill one. I could never put a value on any of those hunts or hunting seasons. I can say it has been that way since I started hunting 50 yrs ago. It has always been my choice of what I spend or not spend and not anyone else's. I looked forward to every season with great anticipation back then and even more today.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: Texas Tatonkas] #6368249 07/13/16 09:57 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Texas Tatonkas
But saying "it cost too much......period" is kind of a dumb statement. Haha not trying to be mean, it's just that "dumb statement" is the only way I can think of describing it.

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: stxranchman] #6368251 07/13/16 10:04 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I don't ever critique what someone spends or does not spend to go on their first hunt or any hunt there after. Just as I would expect them to not critique what I wanted to spend to go on any hunt or any lease of my choice. There are hunts/leases to fit anyone's budget if you take the time to research or ask the right questions. I always get more from a hunt than what I put into it even back when I was just happy to see a deer, dove, quail or hog much less kill one. I could never put a value on any of those hunts or hunting seasons. I can say it has been that way since I started hunting 50 yrs ago. It has always been my choice of what I spend or not spend and not anyone else's. I looked forward to every season with great anticipation back then and even more today.

you're right , all about perspective

I took my boat offshore to catch red snappers, b liners, groupers, kings ... dropped $5000 in fuel
and never compared that to hunting costs or ever considered that to be expensive, just priority.

Guess if I didn't go offshore I could afford one nice guided trophy Axis hunt

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cabosandinh] #6368276 07/13/16 10:34 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

you're right , all about perspective

I took my boat offshore to catch red snappers, b liners, groupers, kings ... dropped $5000 in fuel
and never compared that to hunting costs or ever considered that to be expensive, just priority.

Guess if I didn't go offshore I could afford one nice guided trophy Axis hunt

That perspective is going to vary from individual to individual tremendously. I am single and hunted since I was in grade school, but can't even begin to compare what I will or will not spend on hunting vs. a young/married new hunter or a new hunter with family and young kids at home or new hunter with kids involved in sports/school/etc or a new hunter with kids in college or etc. I do not know what drives them or what are their priorities. They might have the same as or more than me or differ tremendously. What I might spend on hunting, someone else might prefer to spend on things that are non-hunting related because that is what they are passionate about. I can honestly say that I have had more available time and money to spend on hunting vs my friend who were married and had a family over the years when many of them had considerably more income than I had. Priorities were as different as the income level.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368313 07/13/16 11:04 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
LOL ... great points stx!!! also have to take into consideration the priorities of the wife & kids ... my wife's passion is the water, boating & skiing, so for me to get my fair share of hunting time in during fall & winter, I get to spend quality time on the water during the non-hunting months (warm) on the lake with her. But that isn't cheap either factoring in a boat, but again, it's about priorities.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6368317 07/13/16 11:08 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
"Alaska maybe the last frontier but Texas is one of the last great resource full, inhabitable places on earth that has not been entirely developed. We should all feel lucky to enjoy what wild is left for now... even at the cost it is now at least it's available."

This ^

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: txshntr] #6368524 07/14/16 02:51 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Nah, most know they can't afford one. You are just jaded.

I look at my lease fees as a bargain. Few grand to have year around access to 10k acres that I can't afford and will probably never be able to afford.

To use your analogy, I pay a small percentage to drive your Ferrari and don't have to pay for the upkeep. I am perfectly happy with that cheers

Either it was a bad analogy, or you're a poor interpreter. Or a combination of both.

I wasn't talking about owning land. I was talking about doing what it takes to hunt to a level that is comfortable within your budget.

IMO people that whine about cost are the ones I described. Obviously not you or I.

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6369074 07/14/16 05:25 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
it cost too much, period. I just booked four days fishing in Thialand and including airfare it came out to the cost of a hill country axis deer, that's ridiculous. I get it fishing ain't for everybody but I think it's more important to see and experience new places than to spend one day hunting a deer. How many have already been priced out and how long before many more are? We all say we need to save our sport but we make it real hard for new people to get in especially in Texas with no public land and extreme lease pricing. I won't quit hunting I'm very very lucky to be able to hunt several states a year at a greatly discounted price but I can see where a lot of people could just simply not afford hunting.

I don't know about too much, that's a relative term but leases are getting more expensive each year. Hard to convince people that they should try their hand at white tailed deer hunting when you start laying out the cost.

Not sure what the fishing trip in Thailand has to do with it but I think I agree with your post otherwise

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6369808 07/15/16 04:01 AM
E
elephantman Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
E
Drawn hunts for me. Killed a few rabbits on public land but saw more hunters than dove on opening day...

Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6369858 07/15/16 04:49 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I used to have pretty decent dove hunts around new Braunfels. Just as good as private land in most cases

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6370007 07/15/16 01:23 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I can see both sides of it, but if you want to hunt, it's not too hard. I bowhunt public land around San Angelo. I have friends that let me shoot doe on their farms.

The Annual Hunting Permit is $50 and gets you access to many state parks.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: I love hunting but... [Re: cmc] #6370384 07/15/16 07:41 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
It has become more expensive. But I think it's relative to where you are in life.

At this point in mine, it has become less expensive because I make alot more money than I did when I started hunting in my late teens on my own. It seemed very expensive then even though much cheaper than today.

You can hunt today for about the same cost relative to inflation as I did then, being that I hunted public, day lease, paper mill, National Forest etc...

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide