Print Thread
New Ithaca Rifles #6364764 07/10/16 10:38 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Anybody seen any of the new Ithaca of Ohio production precision made rifles...supposed to be an upgraded Model 700 design. Has a hyper impressive write up of the production methods on their home page @ www.ithacagun.com. Both sporting and tactical LR guns shown.
No Pricing but prolly not gonna be a competitor for the Ruger American price point Big Box Retailers market.

I've seen and handled a new production M37 20 guage small frame with the Briley choke system, and am looking for a way to bring it home right now. It feels as good or better than the M37 Ithaca's I owned in the '60's & '70's.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 07/10/16 11:09 PM. Reason: corrected web addy

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6364774 07/10/16 10:53 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C

Last edited by Colt W. Knight; 07/10/16 10:54 PM.
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6364781 07/10/16 11:04 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I thought that addy looked a lil funky..oh well I'll just be happy if I can score the lil 20 guage for a new bird gun for this fall.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6364793 07/10/16 11:11 PM
C
Colt W. Knight Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I have wanted a 20 gauge vent rib 37 ever since I shot clays with my buddy's. Ive never shot a shotgun that fit me more naturally.

Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6364835 07/10/16 11:51 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
are they in stores now?

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6364846 07/11/16 12:03 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
dunno...doubt it but can't say for sure. Found the Home Page web site today as a reference from another web site response to the ?'s I had about the shotgun I found.
Ron

Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365147 07/11/16 03:55 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
They look interesting and more competition is good.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365154 07/11/16 04:04 AM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Slightly more expensive than the Ruger American.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365188 07/11/16 07:37 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Slightly...

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365316 07/11/16 01:42 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
High end high quality products is a small market to be sure...only 3 MB dealerships in the Dallas side the Metro Mess and 2 BMW'ers and ususally sold at List or close to it...but with a Ford dealer every 5 to 10 miles in any direction the price cutting is brutal and the profit margins razor thin. RAR's are like Ford/Chevy/Dodges and if that all you can afford yyou are NOT the Target Market for these guns, or any of the other high end shooters either.

I sold SAKO's in 5 states using that principle back in the '80's and my dealers made more money selling 1 SAKO than they did 4-5 Savages much less a Rem'Chester. Onky difference today is that while I had only one competitor - Weatherby Mk V's in those pre Vanguard days - those guns sold steadily to the target market of consumers, until the economy was so flat nobody sold anything.

IMO Ithaca is NOT chasing the RAR market, but will do well and prolly fillin where Cooper & others in that price point are sliding out of interest. MRC has also gained a toe hold and offers both an excellent "basic" level product in the American Standard Rifle aka ASR, like Mercedes Benz does with their under $40k vehicles..but also offers a full range of custom made rifles too.
Ron

Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365450 07/11/16 03:35 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
I have an Ithaca Mod 37 Ultra featherlight 20 ga. that my dad bought me when I was about 15, it has never ejected and loaded correctly. It has been back to Ithaca several times and they never got it fixed right, I took it to two different gunsmiths in the Dallas area and it still messes up. I would never sell it but will never hunt with it again either, let me down too many times. Pretty gun, and very light but something about that bottom load and eject stays screwed up.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365510 07/11/16 04:15 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I also had trouble with my UL with shooting reloads. My MEC loader would not address the slight swelling of the rim of the used AA's I was using. I also had the same trouble with some brands & series of less expensive ammo feeding and ejection and itt was common to use a mic and see deviations in the rim thickness and diameter on some cheaper brands.

Once I figured out what I could shoot reliably the issues were resolved in my UL though. Tolerances in those guns was hyper tight.

I also owned and shot a lot at that time a Miroku built S&W 3000 steel small frame 20 guage, and had no issues except that the AA & RP wads would leave an impossible to clean plastic residue in the barrel. The dealer I traded that gun to went thru weeks of work to get it all cleaned out, and finally used a bore brush wrapped in super fine steel wool soaked in bore cleaner, and a drill motor to remove the crud by polishing the barrel bore better than new. The UL and all the other Ithaca's, or S&W 1000's I owned (and still own one) for any length of time never had an accumulation of crud in the bore like that S&W 20 guage did.

Ithaca used a Roto Forged barrel, much like as I understand it a SAKO's rifle barrel, with a mandrel hammered thru a "slug or billet" of barrel steel using a hydraulic hammer. I've been in the SAKO plant in Finland and observed the process and am still amazed at the tolerances they are able to generate using that system. When I had screw in chokes installed in my last 12ga Ithaca, the dealer was skeptical that it was possible, as he had failed at the same procedure in other brands due to the lack of barrel wall thickness consistency in some other brands. This was at the beginning of the screw in chokes becoming commonly acceptable, and capable of shooting Steel Shot for waterfowl.

I didn't see any reference on the new Ithaca Home Page to the verbiage "Roto Forged" anywhere. FWIW I'd suggest you contact the new Ithaca folks and see if they are interested in addressing your UL's issue's or have access to Old Model gun parts...or who got all the old parts when the NY plant closed, might be worth a try.

The only other idea would be to contact some other national level shotgun repair folks, mebbe like Briley to see what's what with the UL's feeding and ejection system.
Ron

Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365517 07/11/16 04:20 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
My uncle has 2 Ithaca rifles, one in 270 and the other 30-06. Also have a lever action 22 that is made by Ithaca. Have all been decent guns, but my take is the bolt guns don't look or function any better than a Rem BDL or comparable from any other maker.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365541 07/11/16 04:37 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
RC...I'd bet your Ithaca labeled rifles are actually Tikka's under the model name LSA55 or 65's...and dang fine rifles, but only available in non magnum calibers when Remmy was selling every 7Rmg they coud build.

Schoellkopf Sports, the dist I worked for, carried those rifles for a very short time. That company name was the result of the Schoellkopf Company family owner's from the 1854 startup as saddle and tack makers to a General Merchandise Hardware Wholesale Co, much like "Van's" aka VanHoogenHooze ?sp in San Antonio....selling out and clip Bond Coupons than run a Hardware Distributor business.

Schoellkopf had been the oldest continually operating business in Dallas County when it closed in 1982, after selling out to a Chicago based Holding Company...I was the 3rd to the last person out the door on the SG side of the bidnizz, after the Romney - Bain Capital styled takeover and 3 BK 's corruption of the business to capture the hyper prime 1 square block of Downtown Dallas land holdings. TMI for here.
Ron

Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365693 07/11/16 06:56 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Using wire EDM to cut the bolt raceways in the receiver is interesting. That process leaves a very clean and accurate cut. Many moons ago, I worked at EDM of Dallas, so I am familiar with electrical discharge machining. - The process that Magna-Port uses to cut muzzle-brake ports directly into the barrel steel without affecting the gun's accuracy.

Last edited by charlesb; 07/11/16 06:57 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6365798 07/11/16 08:12 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
I have never fired a handload through mine but never found a factory load that would shoot without jamming. I know it's not typical for that gun and I don't hate em, I just wont ever trust mine on a hunt ever again. Oh, and mine is the Ultra Featherlight, not the Ultralight.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6366077 07/11/16 10:57 PM
R
retfuz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I've got an old Featherlite I've had for 38 years. I've never had a malfunction. I've shot factory high and low brass and high and low reloads with no problem. I reloaded using a Mec sizemaster. It's a great shotgun and I love the bottom ejection.

Last edited by retfuz; 07/11/16 11:01 PM.
Re: New Ithaca Rifles [Re: WileyCoyote] #6366603 07/12/16 12:16 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
RC...I'd bet your Ithaca labeled rifles are actually Tikka's under the model name LSA55 or 65's...and dang fine rifles, but only available in non magnum calibers when Remmy was selling every 7Rmg they coud build.

Schoellkopf Sports, the dist I worked for, carried those rifles for a very short time. That company name was the result of the Schoellkopf Company family owner's from the 1854 startup as saddle and tack makers to a General Merchandise Hardware Wholesale Co, much like "Van's" aka VanHoogenHooze ?sp in San Antonio....selling out and clip Bond Coupons than run a Hardware Distributor business.

Schoellkopf had been the oldest continually operating business in Dallas County when it closed in 1982, after selling out to a Chicago based Holding Company...I was the 3rd to the last person out the door on the SG side of the bidnizz, after the Romney - Bain Capital styled takeover and 3 BK 's corruption of the business to capture the hyper prime 1 square block of Downtown Dallas land holdings. TMI for here.
Ron

Honestly cant say what models they are. I have shot one of them a few times at the range about 15 years ago. He has had them for 30 years or more. They have been good guns.

It's hell eatin em live
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide