Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6368360 07/13/16 11:52 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'd like a little more info on that cleaning rod with the nekid lady in the handle. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: charlesb] #6368372 07/14/16 12:07 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I'll listen to anyone, particularly a gunsmith with years of experience, but in the end, if Dave Petzal says that Dewey rods are as good as anything, then I'll use a Dewey rod.

If they only had the transparent plastic "nekkid woman" handle...

I wish I could find that old ad, it was a hoot. Archive.org has some of the older gun publications, the ones where the copyright has expired. Maybe I'll run across it again someday.

If that were the case, then I wouldn't be allowed to own one. grin

Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: blackcoal] #6368376 07/14/16 12:12 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
I tend to follow advice from the experts when it comes to my guns. I think most would consider Bartlein, Krieger, and GA Precision to be experts. Interesting that 2 of the 3 specifically mention Dewey rods and 2 of the 3 specifically mention coated rods.

You're right. Several 'experts' recommend a nylon-coated cleaning rod.

And, as I mentioned earlier, I am sure that the J. Dewey nylon-coated rods are an excellent product.

None of these experts apparently understand that nylon is softer than aluminum or brass cleaning rods, which are frowned upon because grit becomes embedded in the soft metal, then scratches the bore.

Think back to the shooter in the golden era of the late 1950's, cleaning his lever gun from the muzzle with an aluminum rod and no bore guide. The practice led to many lever guns having the last few inches of rifling smoothed down, and of course to damaged crowns. - Do you really imagine that soft aluminum wore that steel down - or that perhaps the soft metal picked up grit broken loose from the bore that in turn ground down the steel?

Think it through.

Based on your quotes around the word experts, I take it you do not feel as if Bartlein, Krieger, GAP are experts in the rifle world? What barrels do you use in your custom builds and I'll see what they recommend for rods.

Do you consider Dewey a pretty knowledgeable company when it comes to cleaning rods ?? Simple yes or no will suffice for an answer.

Yes

Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: blackcoal] #6368387 07/14/16 12:22 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
If you use the correct size rod and a bore guide the only thing that touches your barrel is a patch or bristles of a brush.

Any chance you could be wrong?

Absolutely. Im not an expert and do not claim to be one.

But GAP, Bartlein, Krieger, Shilen ARE experts and I seriously doubt they would recommend a product that could be detrimental to their reputation for accuracy. Dewey has been at it for over 40years. Do I value industry experts advice over a few armchair experts? Absolutely. Do i value advice from THFers that actually contribute to the forum and that Ive actually shot with and learned from versus anonymous internet commandos. Absolutely.

Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: bjh] #6368391 07/14/16 12:24 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: bjh
If you use the correct size rod and a bore guide the only thing that touches your barrel is a patch or bristles of a brush.

If the right size patch is used it will not flex the rod! if the patch is too big it will flex the rod thus dragging on the bore!

Any chance the correct size patch to provide enough friction is the absolute correct size according to SAAMI specs that the rod will flex enough to touch the barrel? Since you answered for someone else maybe you would like to answer this question.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: blackcoal] #6368428 07/14/16 01:00 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Any chance the correct size patch to provide enough friction is the absolute correct size according to SAAMI specs that the rod will flex enough to touch the barrel? Since you answered for someone else maybe you would like to answer this question.

A lot of that would depend upon the cleaning rod. - Some are stronger and more rigid than others.

Last edited by charlesb; 07/14/16 01:00 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #6368431 07/14/16 01:02 AM
K
Kevin1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
I have a few Dewey rods. You have to be careful to not bend them and the nylon coating has a tendency to wear off. Last year I switched to Tipton carbon rods and I'm not looking back! They are lighter, don't bend and don't seem to wear off.

Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: charlesb] #6368500 07/14/16 02:28 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

A lot of that would depend upon the cleaning rod. - Some are stronger and more rigid than others.

I believe the topic was Dewey cleaning rods.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: blackcoal] #6373926 07/19/16 01:40 AM
B
bjh Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: bjh

If the right size patch is used it will not flex the rod! if the patch is too big it will flex the rod thus dragging on the bore!

If you don't understand what I said, it would be a "fools quest" to try and explain it to you.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide