6238765 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6363892 - 07/09/16 05:43 PM Cleaning Rod
onlysmith&wesson Online   content
Woodsman

Loc: Lewisville/ Foard County

J. Dewey Nylon Coated Cleaning Rod is a fantastic product. Great quality, turns freely, very smooth, makes something that could be hard not too difficult.

#6363944 - 07/09/16 06:34 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
Sneaky Offline
The "Grouch"

Loc: Winters
That it is. No more brass rods for me.

#6363970 - 07/09/16 06:50 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
MacDaddy21 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: CO
I have one as well and it is very nice.

#6364321 - 07/10/16 09:43 AM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
Doesn't the nylon pick up grit, then scratch the rifling with it? If the nylon is colored black, I would be especially suspicious that this might be the case. - The black color would tend to conceal any carbon grit embedded in the soft plastic.

Just wondering if this might be a problem with nylon-coated rods.

Edited by charlesb (07/10/16 09:44 AM)

#6364534 - 07/10/16 02:20 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
dredd Offline
Tracker

Loc: Dallas / Fort Worth Area
I doubt it would act as a Grit Magnet. It's not a "soft" coating.
I also wipe down the rod after each pass.

The rod is smaller in diameter than the bore.
That would also make it difficult to scratch the bore.

I have 3 of these rods and have not had any problems with them.

#6364626 - 07/10/16 03:54 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
jeepercreeper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: DFW
If you use the correct size rod and a bore guide the only thing that touches your barrel is a patch or bristles of a brush.

#6364689 - 07/10/16 04:19 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: charlesb]
Woodsman

"Doesn't the nylon pick up grit, then scratch the rifling with it? If the nylon is colored black, I would be especially suspicious that this might be the case. - The black color would tend to conceal any carbon grit embedded in the soft plastic.

Just wondering if this might be a problem with nylon-coated rods."

No

Edited by onlysmith&wesson (07/10/16 04:20 PM)

#6364839 - 07/10/16 06:54 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Note that when using a tight patch, most cleaning rods will bend, and touch the bore. Using a bore guide will not prevent this from happening, as it occurs partway down the bore, somewhere near the middle of the unsupported part of the rod.

This can only be minimized by using a cleaning rod that is of a strong, rigid material and of sufficient diameter to minimize flexing or bending. Most cleaning rods are designed to be usable with .22 bores. - But it doesn't have to be that way.

If the rod were not flexing and touching the bore under pressure, then one might ask, "Why bother with a coating of any type, and why would brass or aluminum be inferior to steel?"

Ever since I purchased and learned to use a quality bore-scope, I have been amazed at how many people claim to know what is going on, down inside a rifle bore - with no way of really knowing a thing about it. Peering down a rifle bore with a light will tell you a little... Very little.

Carbon is significantly harder than nylon. If anyone seriously believes that tiny flakes and bits of carbon will not embed into nylon, then I've got a great deal on the Brooklyn Bridge that I would like to discuss with them. Nylon coated rods get a scuffed and darkened appearance after a while... Guess what causes that.

I am sure that the J. Dewey nylon-coated rods are an excellent product, but let's try and stick with reality here. Of course the rod is going to flex and touch the bore. Of course the nylon is going to pick up a certain amount of grit when it does, and it will tend to do so at the contact point. That's the way it goes, like it or not.

Personally I have doubts as to how much real damage any quality cleaning rod is going to do to the bore, in normal use with a bore guide. This includes aluminum and brass rods, though you can be sure that they will flex more, and pick up more crud than steel will.

I still wonder about the wisdom of taking a perfectly good steel rod though, and coating it with something significantly softer than either aluminum or brass. Mix a lubricant with grit, and you have the equivalent of valve grinding compound. With hard, slick steel touching steel, there is a good chance of the grit being pushed away from the contact point to wind up in the grooves, but if there is something soft enough for the grit to embed into, then it gets dragged into and through the contact point, affecting the lands.

This is why I use stainless steel cleaning rods, with no coating. I wipe the cleaning rod clean with each pass, and let the crud collect on a bit of paper towel instead of going back into the bore. The difference in doing this and using a softer metal, or a coated rod is minuscule, but it does exist. Don't fool yourself.

You're certainly not fooling me.

Edited by charlesb (07/10/16 06:56 PM)

#6365044 - 07/10/16 09:04 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: charlesb]
Woodsman

Wow. You are the wind beneath my wings. Thank You so very much.

#6365683 - 07/11/16 01:44 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

There has been an ongoing discussion about cleaning rods - for as long as there have been cleaning rods.

Each design has its proponents, and they all have arguments that lay out their reasoning. The only design that appears to have fallen completely out of favor are the wooden cleaning rods made out of hickory, which used to be quite popular but are virtually unheard-of today.

If you do not agree with my opinions, why then go ahead and express your own. I'm sure that many of the readers here would rather hear that, than any display of petulant sarcasm.

#6366324 - 07/11/16 08:59 PM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
Woodsman

I was wrong, you're more like the wind in my pants.

If you'd like to discuss this further, pm me.

#6366540 - 07/12/16 02:55 AM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
booradley Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Justin, TX
I use Tipton carbon fiber rods and wipe them off after every pass. I'm of the same mind as Charlesb though. I don't think the material is as important as proper cleaning method.

I also don't clean my firearms nearly as frequently as I used too. Accuracy hasn't suffered and in some cases has improved.

#6366545 - 07/12/16 05:20 AM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
dredd Offline
Tracker

Loc: Dallas / Fort Worth Area
Based on what's being said... A Bore Snake would be the absolute worst thing you could ever use.
It's doing nothing but dragging carbon through the bore over & over again.

I don't think I'll be throwing mine away just yet.
I personally think that they come in handy for certain chores.

#6366625 - 07/12/16 07:42 AM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: dredd]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: dredd
Based on what's being said... A Bore Snake would be the absolute worst thing you could ever use.
It's doing nothing but dragging carbon through the bore over & over again.

I don't think I'll be throwing mine away just yet.
I personally think that they come in handy for certain chores.

The bore snake can come in handy at times. I wash mine with dish soap and warm water, it seems to do a pretty good job.

Somehow or another I have wound up with an impressive collection of bore snakes, only half of which have ever been used.

#6366641 - 07/12/16 07:54 AM Re: Cleaning Rod [Re: onlysmith&wesson]
DStroud Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Waco
Tipton even states on their website that all cleaning rods gather grit from the barrel and you should wipe any cleaning rod each pass.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide