Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Cecil - some facts after "the fact" #6363562 07/09/16 05:06 PM
Creekrunner Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Even though I don't think the dentist/hunter is a guy I'd "hit it off" with by a long shot, it is interesting to read some belated, scientific facts:

Conservation force summary: Summary

Oxford University Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (the folks that put the collar on "Cecil") report: Report

I too am tired of hearing about Cecil, but, as with a lot of inflated social media stories, reality didn't match the emotions of the rabid twitter and farcebook posters.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6363669 07/09/16 06:41 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
The summary was a good read but the Report was educated jibberish that hurts the brain to read.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6363707 07/09/16 07:32 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Good read. It was reported fairly eary that the only illegal activity was the removing of the tracking collar by the PH and not by authorities. That tidbit was seldom passed on by "news" sources, though. It's sad to think what will become of Africa's wildlife now that a large amount of hunting dollars have been denied to their support.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6364385 07/10/16 03:46 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I didn't read the link, but wanted to comment on the hunts I'm seeing for lions in South Africa being reduced to half what they where going for last year. Sadly, I think once the price for these hunts hits a certain low, breeders will no longer raise them, villagers will poach more of them and outfitters will lose all interest in protecting them. Whatever the overall number of lions is in Africa today, if this continues, it will be significantly lower every year into the future until they are almost gone.

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6367852 07/13/16 03:13 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Even though I don't think the dentist/hunter is a guy I'd "hit it off" with by a long shot, it is interesting to read some belated, scientific facts:

Oxford University Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (the folks that put the collar on "Cecil") report: Report

I too am tired of hearing about Cecil, but, as with a lot of inflated social media stories, reality didn't match the emotions of the rabid twitter and farcebook posters.

Fact that some people on this forum hung him with nothing other then a social media coming from a 3rd world country should be an eye opening experience. Going forward it should be a huge learning experience.

With that said the ones on here that called him a pet etc. later on showed their true motivations and distaste for any hunting that they see beneath them. Those people in my mind aren't sportsmen or hunters. When their ideology makes them publicly denounce how others legally hunt, they are no longer about the greater good of the traditions and conservation that we all embrace. That ideology is morphed to zealous, intolerant and monopolizing view that will ultimately cause the loss of the North American Conservation model thus destroying hunting as we know it. Sometimes the shoe fits some times it doesn't.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6371867 07/17/16 11:09 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Fact that some people on this forum hung him with nothing other then a social media coming from a 3rd world country should be an eye opening experience. Going forward it should be a huge learning experience.

With that said the ones on here that called him a pet etc. later on showed their true motivations and distaste for any hunting that they see beneath them. Those people in my mind aren't sportsmen or hunters. When their ideology makes them publicly denounce how others legally hunt, they are no longer about the greater good of the traditions and conservation that we all embrace. That ideology is morphed to zealous, intolerant and monopolizing view that will ultimately cause the loss of the North American Conservation model thus destroying hunting as we know it. Sometimes the shoe fits some times it doesn't.

Yep...

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6371974 07/17/16 02:23 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
In hindsight, the optics were pretty predictable. It was not a legal hunt. A park lion was illegally lured out of the park and shot. The ones responsible have been charged. The hunter has not been charged. Was the whole episode regrettable? Yes. Did it engender outsized wrongheaded coverage by many folks with no understanding of the benefits of trophy hunting to species as a whole? Certainly.

Unfortunately, that's a risk when illegal activity takes place. Or even some legal activities that have poor optics. So, yes, it should be an eye-opening experience for all.

The North American Conservation Model has nothing to do with the Cecil episode. But, many of the activities that currently take place under the guise of "hunting" (legal or not) violate its core tenets (wildlife held as public trust and no marketing of wildlife, to name just two) with impunity. Which is why many of the the most well-known conservation groups who helped develop and adhere to the NACM fight against them.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6371987 07/17/16 02:39 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
In hindsight, the optics were pretty predictable. It was not a legal hunt. A park lion was illegally lured out of the park and shot. The ones responsible have been charged. The hunter has not been charged. Was the whole episode regrettable? Yes. Did it engender outsized wrongheaded coverage by many folks with no understanding of the benefits of trophy hunting to species as a whole? Certainly.

Unfortunately, that's a risk when illegal activity takes place. Or even some legal activities that have poor optics. So, yes, it should be an eye-opening experience for all.

The North American Conservation Model has nothing to do with the Cecil episode. But, many of the activities that currently take place under the guise of "hunting" (legal or not) violate its core tenets (wildlife held as public trust and no marketing of wildlife, to name just two) with impunity. Which is why many of the the most well-known conservation groups who helped develop and adhere to the NACM fight against them.

Did you even glance at the links I posted? Not what I'd call good case prep.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6371992 07/17/16 02:45 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
There are competing accounts on that score. I'll certainly accept the fact finding conclusions when they come out in the court proceedings.

Certainly looks like those charges should be dropped from the link you posted.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 07/17/16 02:54 PM.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6372373 07/17/16 09:38 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Some people have such a deep personal agenda so clouded by only their self serving conclusions even when faced with facts......

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6374543 07/19/16 03:48 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Lol..... You agruements are invalid until you learn to read links in threads you post in. It's like the tenth time you have trolled a topic with out actually reading.

North American Conservative model is under attack by the very same people the made up false accounts of how he was hunted and taken.

How much of our federal wild life budgets are being wasted fighting frivolous lawsuits over delisting of wolves and Grizzlies(that have greatly exceeded sustainability number goals by 3x-10x? there is a trend going on right now. Anti's have figured out how to stop hunting and that's tag availbility. Shut down the most effective ways to hunt bears and Lions in Cali and bear and lion numbers explode and deer numbers take huge decline. Introduce non native wolf subspecies in to yellow stone and watch 20k elk go to 4K, then when wolves naturally move out to find more game, Tenton area looses 1k tags for lack of elk. Idaho elk population, success rates and hunting revenue plummets. There are measures on the ballot in Idaho to stop trapping, thus increasing wolf populations. State of NM is fighting Feds right now on more wolf introduction. CO, Washington,Oregon Cali, Nevada, and Utah are seeing migrating non native wolve sub species now. Higher those numbers rise less tags and success rates hunters will see.

Your agruements are about your own ideology and never the greater good. It's a free country so do as you please but stop whining when people get sick of it.

In the mean time the American Conservation model is loosing its ability to manage our wildlife for and via humans. Apex predators are now managing the wildlife for thier consumption

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6374556 07/19/16 03:54 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I ain't a fan of the current wolf or bear situation, if that makes you feel better....

It's a perversion of any conservation model no doubt. Recovery well past initial goals and the goalposts keep getting moved back.

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6374644 07/19/16 04:50 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I ain't a fan of the current wolf or bear situation, if that makes you feel better....

It's a perversion of any conservation model no doubt. Recovery well past initial goals and the goalposts keep getting moved back.

It actually does, because it means you have the ability to see the anti methodology at work and how it collates worldwide. When Africa falls it means we are close behind. Hunting has defined how you and I grew up and we over came life's obstacles, our kids will do the same but our grandkids and great grandkids maybe not so much. You and I no matter how much we greatly disagree at times don't want that for your or my prodigy.

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6374672 07/19/16 05:13 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
You and I no matter how much we greatly disagree at times don't want that for your or my prodigy.

You mean "progeny". Except for MY grandkids. They, of course, are prodigies. grin bolt

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6374678 07/19/16 05:17 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
You and I no matter how much we greatly disagree at times don't want that for your or my prodigy.

You mean "progeny". Except for MY grandkids. They, of course, are prodigies. grin bolt

Lol ya that's would be a little akward hammer

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6374695 07/19/16 05:26 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Oh Lord not the lion again. One of my darkest days on this forum. peep

Talent is a gift, character is a decision.
Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6374700 07/19/16 05:32 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H

roflmao Uh-oh. Bobo no use big words good. roflmao Geeez, I crack me up.

With regard to the topic of this thread, never underestimate the value of a good social media smear campaign and e-dogpile. I'm pretty sure I don't want to hang out with the dentist, but for it to cause him to have to shutter his practice and thus lose his livelihood - that was unacceptable.

Last edited by HuntnFly67; 07/19/16 05:33 PM.
Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: A.B.] #6374706 07/19/16 05:36 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by A.B.
Oh Lord not the lion again. One of my darkest days on this forum. peep

Fear not, my friend.

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: HuntnFly67] #6374724 07/19/16 05:51 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

With regard to the topic of this thread, never underestimate the value of a good social media smear campaign and e-dogpile. I'm pretty sure I don't want to hang out with the dentist, but for it to cause him to have to shutter his practice and thus lose his livelihood - that was unacceptable.

ya that was embarrassing

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6374832 07/19/16 07:12 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
JMO but I believe this would have never reached the world if it hadn't have been for the incident with the black bear. Heck, when Dick Cheaney shot the attorney in the face while quail hunting at the Armstrong Ranch it didn't get the attention of this trophy hunting dentist.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6374862 07/19/16 07:38 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
BOBO did not misspeak. I'm sure our progeny will be prodigies. smile

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 07/19/16 07:38 PM.

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6374867 07/19/16 07:40 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

ya that was embarrassing

Get a hold of the right MOD, and it can disappear.... grin "prodigy" sounds like a painfull medical procedure roflmao

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6374873 07/19/16 07:45 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
I will remember Gile's error when our yearly debit of public vs private education comes up! banana

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: Creekrunner] #6374883 07/19/16 07:58 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Well played..... But I've taken a lot of hits to the head after high school graduation

Re: Cecil - some facts after "the fact" [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6374887 07/19/16 08:03 PM
A
A.B. Offline
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi-Wan Kenobi
A
Well played..... But I've taken a lot of hits to the head after high school graduation

Touché flehan

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide