Forums46
Topics536,621
Posts9,714,996
Members86,971
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? #6359375 07/06/16 01:20 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Mohunter told me Yellow labs shed more than chocolate or black labs, thoughts on that? Molly sure did shed a lot, that's for sure. She has a skin condition tho, started trying supplements last few year, never got it working tho...

What about CBRs? They shed less?

Also considering labadoodle.

Molly's hair was a real problem, I can't have that again. I need a solution.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359404 07/06/16 01:46 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I don't know about CBR shedding but they feel like a brillo pad when you pet them...great duck dogs no disputing that.

I've got a chocolate and wife says this is the last lab. Best dog in the world but she can't stand the hair and won't consider a dog being outside.

I suppose if I don't hang it up after this one dies I'll end up with a Boykin.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359423 07/06/16 02:00 AM
G
gulfcoast200 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
CBRs shed just as bad as a Lab we have tile floors and with 2 of them we vacuum daily. If your considering a Labradoodle than a CBR is probably not for you. I'd stick with a Lab.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359439 07/06/16 02:17 AM
U
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
More like witch one retrieves better in my opinion banana2

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359463 07/06/16 02:36 AM
J
jlp04c Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Have a cbr, she sheds like crazy..
For a non shedding hunting dog your probably gonna need to look at a Boykin, it's my understanding they don't shed, or minimally shed. Maybe check a wired haired griff too??

Skin that one pilgrim...I'll get you another one.
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359516 07/06/16 03:28 AM
D
DuckSausage Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
While my CBR absolutely sheds, I don't think he sheds anywhere close to the amount that my labs have.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359519 07/06/16 03:34 AM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
having hunted cbr's all my life, I can't imagine one being a full time house dog. mine come in the camphouse(wood floors and wafer wood walls) but they shed...bad. if I was looking for a house dog/hunting dog combo id go with a springer, water spaniel or boykin. when trained properly good for any type of bird hunting, and good in the house/with kids etc

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359543 07/06/16 04:09 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
The only solution here is to get a black lab.

[Linked Image]

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359578 07/06/16 05:10 AM
P
pervis Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
P
I've got a buddy who has a springer spaniel and his dog is a hunting mojo. Dog is unreal. Listens know hand signals voice commands whistle commands, loves the water, couldn't be a better dog. Def a breed to consider

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359590 07/06/16 07:44 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Boykins shed pretty bad by the way for those suggesting one because they don't shed.

If you are considering a CBR read up on how to train them. Socialization is very important and they aren't the same as a lab. I'm not saying they are better or worse just different.

Please don't get a labradoodle

Last edited by BradyBuck; 07/06/16 07:45 AM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: BradyBuck] #6359640 07/06/16 11:52 AM
D
Duck Buster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Boykins shed pretty bad by the way for those suggesting one because they don't shed.

If you are considering a CBR read up on how to train them. Socialization is very important and they aren't the same as a lab. I'm not saying they are better or worse just different.

PLEASE don't get a labradoodle. I have met many, and never met a well trained one. THey are friendly beyond belief, but very tough to train. IMO, hair is less hassle than a labradoodle.

The real trick is getting a new lab now, so the hair amount increases with the 2 dogs. Then, heaven forbid your older dog passes to hunting heaven, the hair amount on the floor decreases because you only have 1 shedding dog again. It FEELS like you have less of a shedding problem, and your spouse gets used to the lesser amount. But of course in time it become apparent you have a lab, and there is always hair. But, your wife has fallen deeply in love with this fur child, and forgives it anyways. She may blame you again for getting a lab, but worth it.

That's how I do it...but I also get put on vacuuming duty a lot....

Good luck in your search for your next dog.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: BradyBuck] #6359648 07/06/16 12:01 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359654 07/06/16 12:08 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: wal1809] #6359655 07/06/16 12:12 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Black lab and a roomba. We have 3 and they all live inside and with one roomba it pretty much takes care of all of the dog hair. Our house is on the small side (1675 sq ft), if you had a bigger home you might need 2 roombas or just keep the dog limited to a portion of the house and leave the roomba in that portion.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Duck Buster] #6359664 07/06/16 12:18 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Duck buster my lab past nov 2015.

Thanks for all the feedback. The Boykin is a dog I have not thought about. When I trained Molly, had a pro help me with FF, and he also trained Boykin, so I got to watch him work those dogs and they were good. I just don't like the way they look, but I might look past that, the little research I have done they do seem to shed less than a lab.

I would love to get a small lab, Molly was bigger than what I prefer. But I would brush her once a week, and my wife cleaned the floors twice a week (and I got an ear full each time lol), and still hair everywhere. I even had Molly trained to stay on the tile (kitchen and sun room), she stayed off the wood and carpet. And the hair was still a pain. It's been real nice not having hair everywhere. Really does not bother me, but my wife likes a clean house. And I hate cleaning floors.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: john paul] #6359667 07/06/16 12:22 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: john paul
Black lab and a roomba. We have 3 and they all live inside and with one roomba it pretty much takes care of all of the dog hair. Our house is on the small side (1675 sq ft), if you had a bigger home you might need 2 roombas or just keep the dog limited to a portion of the house and leave the roomba in that portion.

I bought one of those. You had to constantly clean them, they hold like a cup of hair, my dog would fill a pillow case of hair. My wife would not even use a vacume, she would just broom it into piles.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359686 07/06/16 12:42 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would do this once a week, even after just brushing her, she could go inside on a clean floor, shake and hair all over the floor. I would like to think this is not normal for a lab.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Duck Buster] #6359851 07/06/16 02:55 PM
C
Cappy_TX Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Duck Buster

PLEASE don't get a labradoodle. I have met many, and never met a well trained one. THey are friendly beyond belief, but very tough to train. IMO, hair is less hassle than a labradoodle.

Good luck in your search for your next dog.

Our Labradoodle, Rusty ... completely disagrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLve-v9sO8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbq6mQ9h4tI

Cappy ... At my side for thirteen years, in my heart forever.
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359906 07/06/16 03:51 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: Guy
I would do this once a week, even after just brushing her, she could go inside on a clean floor, shake and hair all over the floor. I would like to think this is not normal for a lab.

It's normal...that is exactly why my wife says no more labs. Our house is either tile or wood and when the lab is shedding she is sweeping everyday and like you I hear about it. The Boykins still shed but it's a different hair and it's not the same. We are down to one cocker (had two at one point) and two cockers don't shed 1/2 as much as a lab...I don't see the Boykin being much different, they are all spaniels.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359933 07/06/16 04:10 PM
H
Houghtonic Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
While most all dogs shed, the wirehaired breeds like WPG, PP, and DD all shed much less than a lab. The lab can probably withstand much lower temperatures than the ones I listed, but plenty are busting ice with them and I have a one year old PP that was really fun to have as my companion on all my duck hunts here in Texas.

If you want a true no-shed dog, you'll probably be limited to a field bred Poodle or Irish Water Spaniel. If you go with a WPG, Poodle, or IWS, you'll have to do some due dilligence to make sure you are getting one from true hunting stock. If you go with PP, it's likely you'll be waiting for about 6 months. Not sure how long the waits are for DD.

Heath
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6359948 07/06/16 04:21 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
you should just get a field bred medium sized poodle

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6360151 07/06/16 07:38 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Our Chocolate Masti-pit-ador doesn't shed, but lack of any courage whatsoever might be an issue hunting.

Our Blacks and Chocolates have shed like yours, only to be outdone by our current Lemon Beagle who appears to grow an entire new coat daily.

I did not get a CBR given some of the personality traits mentioned.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: garrett] #6360293 07/06/16 09:38 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: garrett
you should just get a field bred medium sized poodle

mark it down. G and I agree on something!!!!! up

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6360320 07/06/16 10:19 PM
Z
zbot11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Z
I'll seriously consider a drahthaar as my next dog for this exact same reason. I do know they blow their undercoats twice a year and it takes some maintenance to get it all out.

I currently have a golden with a pretty short coat. Believe it or not I think his shedding is more bearable than some of the labs I've been around. He has a ton of hair, but it seems to clump together better than lab hair and it's never on our furniture, clothes, food, etc.

Re: Starting to think about getting a new duck dog... Which one shed less? [Re: Guy] #6360747 07/07/16 03:21 AM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Guy,
I have owned and trained a half dozen breeds of hunting dog and hunted with several other breeds, not to mention researched a few each time I changed. Some random thoughts.

I would think shedding with a Lab would be more related to coat type and the individual dog than color. They all shed so much that if one color shed a little less than the other due to common genes related to color type it would not be enough difference to matter anyway. If I were looking I would focus on breeding background first and color second. You can always match your carpet/furniture scheme to color of dog.

I enjoy watching the Boykins at hunt tests. My understanding is one would do well to pay extra special attention to the breeding background for a working dog on these. Similar in size would be the American Water Spaniel. When I researched breeds, I had to rule these out because I do a lot of big goose hunting. Then are small dogs as far as retrievers go.

The joke is on Poodles, but then I have been to more than one retriever hunt test where I watched a field poodle outperform many of the Labrador's present. They are hypoallergenic as well as is the Irish Water Spaniel which most will just think is a Poodle. I personally would go with an Irish Water Spaniel from a chosen breeding before I would a labradoodle.

Labradoodles as any mix are going to be a crap shoot IMHO. Especially if a first generation breeding. You could end up with a great retriever like Cappy's or you could just end up with only a great house pet IMO. Too much risk to benefit to chance if you need a retriever.

Drathars. I love these dogs. They were on my short list when I ultimately made the change to Vizslas so i researched them, watched them at tests, and hunted with a couple. They have a very strong prey drive. Most are fur crazy. Like most pointing versatile breeds they are not going to mark like a Lab, but in a hunting situation letting them work they can scent, track, find and blind retrieve cripples better than most Labs. Poodlepointers I like even more than DDs. Ones I have seen have been more laid back, but like a Drathar and my Vizsla are versatile breeds that than can retrieve. They are not retrievers. Size on them is going to usually be much bigger with males and some lines are just smaller. My 65+lb male V has no problem retrieving magnum Canadas, but if I had a 45lb or less female V, DD, or PP, it could give them trouble. Might be a consideration if you ever hunt big birds.

CBR. If I were going to solely a retriever and needed a dog for very cold weather, I would have a CBR. No good reason other than I have raised and trained a Lab before and have not had a CBR. They shed about as much as a Lab I think, but have a more oily coat for shedding water. Stripping their coat all the time like one might do a Lab to cut back on the shedding might not be a good idea because of that. A CBR owner would know more on that thought.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide