476311 Topics
6248173 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6357432 - 07/04/16 04:19 AM Quick and easy field dressing a quail
Chet Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Benbrook
Years ago I saw two guys show this method on quail at the Ames Plantation. Unless you have to have the legs attached this is the ticket. No mess and fast. Could not find the demo on quail but this video on ditch parrots show the method well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdyyMJL_LXE

#6357447 - 07/04/16 06:20 AM Re: Quick and easy field dressing a quail [Re: Chet]
bobcat1 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Sanger, Texas
I'm one that likes the legs but a cool way to do it.

#6357465 - 07/04/16 07:05 AM Re: Quick and easy field dressing a quail [Re: Chet]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
I like my way better. Here you go.

quote=bill oxner]
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
I love butterflied & fried quail breast, but I like the legs just as much, Y'all don't keep the legs?

We clean the the same way pretty much. Cut off head, wings & feet at the feather line, peel off skin, now lay the bird in palm of hand, breast down, with it's rear end facing you, now cut the legs off where they attach to the back bone with shears, flip bird over & cut the breast out with shears all guts stay attached to the carcass.

I always save the legs. Ask Big Joe about the quail I dressed for him. I hunted quail for around 30 years before I found the method I now use to field dress them. I'll show you rather than tell you my method the next time I have a camera available. Here's the best I can tell it with my limited writing skills:

I clip off the wings and the legs at the feather line just as you do, but I leave the head attached. I skin the bird, and hold it in my left hand as you do. I then grab the left leg firmly and pull it over the body, and back with one fluid move. It pulls right off. Then do the same to the right leg. That leaves me holding the breast with the head and the backbone. I grab it by the head and neck, then pull it off, which leaves me a breast in my left hand, and the backbone with guts attached in my right hand. I can do this almost as fast as a helper can cut off the wings and legs.

I generally bring them home this way, then butterfly the breast. I'll take the femure or thigh bone off the leg.

We had a little discussion about this. Here you go;

Originally Posted By: bill oxner
I start by cutting off the wings and lower legs. It's important to leave the head attached.

There you have a whole skinned quail.

Next, you pull the leg over the back, and pull the legs off one at a time. It's best to pull from the front to the back.

Here you have a whole quail with the legs and thighs removed and in the pan.

You could see that I had the quail by the head with my right hand. Just pull the head and neck off and the intestines come with it.. You can see that I have the breast in one hand and the head with the backbone and guts in the other hand. Notice that my hands are still clean

I've done them every other way that's known, but this has always worked best for me. I can do them as fast as a helper can clip the wings and feet.

#6357512 - 07/04/16 08:30 AM Re: Quick and easy field dressing a quail [Re: Chet]
poisonivie Offline

Loc: Bridgeport, Tx
I clean pheasant that way but I like the legs on my quail.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide