#6356270 - 07/02/16 10:30 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: ETexas Hunter]
Cat hunter Offline
Light Foot

I own a bunch of it. All good stuff

#6357988 - 07/04/16 04:43 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: ETexas Hunter]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
I own a bunch also. A lot of depends when, where and how you hunt on what to get.

For Texas I'd say save your money unless you bow hunt, the tribron line and the light weight merino shirts work great though.

Price point wise I think some peices are replaceable with other brands. I love the attack pants but I've replaced all mine with the prana Zion stretch....1/3 the price and just as good, trade offs are no camo and it has built in belt over side vent zips. Puffy wise I like Columbia turbo down better(but no camo colors)

The stand out peices for the backcountry(I mainly only hunt sept) are alpine pants, 145 and 210 merino shirts, gators and rain wear(firstlite rain gear is on par with it though).

#6358218 - 07/04/16 08:51 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: ETexas Hunter]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Damn BOBO, you could work at JC Penny's with all that knowledge grin

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6358222 - 07/04/16 08:56 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: Western]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Originally Posted By: Western

Jcpenny is like kohls... Discounter with overstock or special cheaper runs. You won't find the good stuff there wink

High dollar or technical clothing won't make you a better hunter but comfort goes a long way on day 5 or 6.

#6358229 - 07/04/16 09:05 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Jcpenny is like kohls... Discounter with overstock or special cheaper runs. You won't find the good stuff there wink

High dollar or technical clothing won't make you a better hunter but comfort goes a long way on day 5 or 6.

Just say'n, you may be waste'n your talent grin If I didn't know better, I'd swear you knew someone in the clothing bidness peep

X'S 1000 on comfort, even if it is a T shirt..

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6358230 - 07/04/16 09:05 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: ETexas Hunter]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
I own their mesh-back gimme cap, that's it. grin But it does work. 'Hard to find a gimme cap with a thought-out wicking headband that I won't sweat buckets down my face.

I guess I ordered it direct, or maybe 'cause I'm a member of DSC, but I get their catalog mailed to me a few times a year. Easily the most expensive advertising I've ever received from any company, ever. Their profit margin has to be off the charts to put out something like that.

#6358278 - 07/04/16 10:10 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: Creekrunner]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I own their mesh-back gimme cap, that's it. grin But it does work. 'Hard to find a gimme cap with a thought-out wicking headband that I won't sweat buckets down my face.

I guess I ordered it direct, or maybe 'cause I'm a member of DSC, but I get their catalog mailed to me a few times a year. Easily the most expensive advertising I've ever received from any company, ever. Their profit margin has to be off the charts to put out something like that.

I think it's most likely 40%-60% mark up. To give you an idea standard industry is 100%..... Even the special day sales smile

It will be interesting to see what happens when and if his Toray protection ends. It may never though... He went from 0 to 50 mill in under 8 years. Pretty impressive for a niche brand.

I'll give him credit he has opened up the market and you are seeing many brands invest into the backcountry segment. Great choices for consumers

#6358280 - 07/04/16 10:15 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: Western]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Just say'n, you may be waste'n your talent grin If I didn't know better, I'd swear you knew someone in the clothing bidness peep

X'S 1000 on comfort, even if it is a T shirt..

Oh it's a very rough subject at my house.... My kuiu habits are frowned on...

#6358615 - 07/05/16 09:51 AM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: ETexas Hunter]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
It's all gotten to be a little much for me to keep up with honestly. So many choices and so many "new and improved" pieces of gear coming out every year.

I used to be able to stay abreast, but no more.

That's one of the great benefits of hunting forums - you can see what guys like BOBO that do keep up with it say and follow their advice.

As BOBO pointed out, many pieces of clothing/gear often have an exact counterpart in a non-hunting/non-camo configuration - and you can save some serious $$ that way. Plus keeping up with Camofire and other discounts on last year's and/or discontinued items.

#6358839 - 07/05/16 12:52 PM Re: Kuiu hunting products [Re: ETexas Hunter]
TxAg Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Live in Katy, Hunt in Llano Co...
I have a few of their pieces. Seem to be good quality stuff. Premium price, but you can catch sales. I like their Vias camo pattern for open country. So many camo patterns just show up as dark blobs from far off and do nothing to break up your outline.

-Guide Gloves: I've long been after gloves that have a good combo of warmth while preserving dexterity. I usually only wear a thin work glove on my right hand for that reason. But, these seem to be a good compromise so far.

-Guide Beanie: Just a no BS soft-shell beanie hat. Repels rain, keeps head warm.

-Teton soft-shell jacket: Basically just a camo soft-shell jacket. Good for those early-season hunts when you might get some light rain. Or, wear it as a shell layer later in the season.

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide