Forum Stats
60428 Members
45 Forums
475759 Topics
6241061 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6354783 - 07/01/16 03:09 PM Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill
Shotgun Willie Online   content
Tracker

Loc: McKinney, TX
I put a brand new S&F up last weekend, was all excited because it's my first "nice" feeder. Not a small investment for me. My brother took his kids out there this weekend and went over to my side to check on my stuff, and I've got 600 pounds of corn on the ground. Not a kernel left in the feeder. It seems the vibration of the motor caused the feeder mech to slide down the mounting legs, increasing the gap to the point that the corn just spilled out. I tightened the nuts on the feeder mech as tight as I've ever tightened them on my other feeders, so I just can't see why it did this.

This is not my first feeder. It isn't rocket science to put these things together, but evidently it's science enough that I missed something. I asked him to remount the feeder mech and run the bolts down as tight as he could, and if he broke the bolts to replace them with grade 8s.

Anybody ever seen this before? I was planning on buying another one of these in the future, and my brother was thinking of one as well. Now I'm not so sure. An expensive lesson in torque, for sure.

#6355393 - 07/02/16 08:18 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
eeks333 That would truly suck! I would be tempted to shoot a self tapping screw in the arms. I have never had that happen on any feeder I had, actually don't know anyone it happened too, glitch maybe?

It is good you found out now and not opening morning though, at least you have plenty of time for a "correction"

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6355608 - 07/02/16 11:29 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
TxAg Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Live in Katy, Hunt in Llano Co...
First, sorry that happened to you. That sucks! I would be upset too.

However, I have to believe something is not right with the setup of the mounting bolts, washer, nuts, and wing nuts fastening the timer box to the "T" brackets which mount to the feeder. I have built, worked on, and filled many many feeders and have never seen this happen, when they were set up correctly. It is possible that perhaps it's missing the nut that goes between the T-bracket and the timer box? That nut keeps the mounting bolt in place when the wing nuts and washers are taken off, so that mounting bolt doesn't fall back inside the timer box. If it was loose, theoretically you may not have been able to get the wing nut tight initially.

Generally, getting the wing nuts hard-hand tight is enough to secure the timer box in place.

Do not lose faith in the Stand N' Fill. It is a good feeder, and the folks at All Seasons are good people. If there is truly something wrong with your timer box I'm sure they will make it right. I know that doesn't fix the wasted 600lb of corn on the ground for you though.

Good luck moving forward.

#6356469 - 07/03/16 08:51 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: TxAg]
Pope&Young Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX / Hunt - Eastland
Originally Posted By: TxAg
First, sorry that happened to you. That sucks! I would be upset too.

However, I have to believe something is not right with the setup of the mounting bolts, washer, nuts, and wing nuts fastening the timer box to the "T" brackets which mount to the feeder. I have built, worked on, and filled many many feeders and have never seen this happen, when they were set up correctly. It is possible that perhaps it's missing the nut that goes between the T-bracket and the timer box? That nut keeps the mounting bolt in place when the wing nuts and washers are taken off, so that mounting bolt doesn't fall back inside the timer box. If it was loose, theoretically you may not have been able to get the wing nut tight initially.

Generally, getting the wing nuts hard-hand tight is enough to secure the timer box in place.

Do not lose faith in the Stand N' Fill. It is a good feeder, and the folks at All Seasons are good people. If there is truly something wrong with your timer box I'm sure they will make it right. I know that doesn't fix the wasted 600lb of corn on the ground for you though.

Good luck moving forward.

I agree with TxAG.
There is nothing wrong with your feeder.
This issue can easily be fixed lock washers.

#6356532 - 07/03/16 09:39 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
dgilbert Online   content
6 pack abs

I have one, and while I was checking everything out I did notice that they had some cheap wing nuts on the adjustment mounts. I took mine off and replaced them with some others. The wing nuts that came with it wasn't able to tighten them like I wanted, might be your problem. The wing nuts seemed to have plastic threads not metal.

Edited by dgilbert (07/03/16 09:40 AM)

#6356666 - 07/03/16 11:47 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: M.I.A.
I have never owned a All Seasons but I wouldn't blame them for this mishap. This looks like just a simple case where the vibration from the motor just loosed the nuts causing the motor box to slip down like you said. It can happen to just about any brand that uses the T-braket adjustment design. I have always had a fear of exactly what happened to you so I always use my multi tool pliers to crank those wing nuts down super tight. If they use a plastic thread nut like dgilbert said I would replace that ASAP! Wingnuts are cheap......corn is not. LOL

#6356892 - 07/03/16 03:38 PM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: dgilbert]
SniperRAB Online   content
GRAMPS!!!

Loc: Nurturing Biosphere Mothership
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
I have one, and while I was checking everything out I did notice that they had some cheap wing nuts on the adjustment mounts. I took mine off and replaced them with some others. The wing nuts that came with it wasn't able to tighten them like I wanted, might be your problem. The wing nuts seemed to have plastic threads not metal.

^^^^^

I also added some good lock washers when I added the eliminator plate due to the pressure from the spring..

Sorry for your Corn Loss Sir

#6356940 - 07/03/16 04:09 PM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas - God's Country
I would be upset too. The Monarchs use 1/4x20 bolts and nuts with flats and locks. You can't move them once tightened.

I have a short attention spa

#6362487 - 07/08/16 10:23 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Cast]
Big Scott Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Louisiana
This very thing has happened to me more times than I care to mention, not necessarily with All Season but with many other of the typical mounted spinners under the feeder tank. My brother and I have solved the problem with vibration and all the other issues with feeders. We have built these feeders below and are marketing them now in preparation for this upcoming hunting season. Please let us know if you want more info or specs of how they are designed.

#6362554 - 07/08/16 11:35 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
rickym Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Dang that sucks, looks like normal feeding for sniperRAB though. I agree with others, probably didn't get something tight. Put loc-tite on the bolts

#6363255 - 07/09/16 12:04 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
Mathp Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Coppell Breckenridge, TX
if you reverse the polarity in my experience the feeder motor will run constantly and empty the feeder. Don't know that's the case here but something to check out.

#6365053 - 07/10/16 09:10 PM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
Hunt Texas Offline

Loc: Tomball, TX
I've had (3) 600 # Stand N Fill Feeders on our place for 4 years now which run year round, and no issues like you are showing. Very sorry this happened to you, but suspect that it's simply a matter of tightening the wing nuts down tight as others have mentioned. I'm still using the wing nuts that came with mine and they seem to work fine even without Loctite, etc. They are great feeders! Best of luck with them from here on out!

#6365087 - 07/10/16 09:43 PM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
I have to say I have always used a little blue loc-tite and tightened them down with my multi-tool on all of those types of mechanisms as I've had that happen before. I did this on my AS like yours when I set it up last year and it's still solidly in the same position. As a matter of fact I plan on buying another one here in the next couple of weeks.
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#6365410 - 07/11/16 10:11 AM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
billybob Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Southlake, TX, Billy Bob Ranch...
I just bought an all season 600 lb stand and feed. Went out last weekend to check on it....empty of corn and the solar armored cable ripped off...went back in the pm and found a squirrel jumping out of the cage...guess I'll have to beef it up.

#6365929 - 07/11/16 04:41 PM Re: Extremely displeased with my All Seasons Stand and Fill [Re: Shotgun Willie]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Seen that happen quite often. I had bought 4 new 600# regular AS Feeders 4 yrs ago and just hauling them 100 miles made all the bolts holding the control units on them loose from the vibration. Even one motor was loose and missing a washer/nut off of it. For years now I have made it a point to check the control unit anytime I buy a feeder. I would also invest in an Eliminator Spinner plate also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide