Print Thread
Mossberg Patriot update #6350193 06/28/16 11:33 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C

So - it appears to shoot as well as its competition in the inexpensive hunting rifle category.

It looks at least as good too - if not better.

I am still working on a comprehensive review, and will post the URL when it is ready for prime-time.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6350194 06/28/16 11:37 AM
J
jhenderson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Can't argue the facts there. It's no doubt accurate from the looks of it.

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6350352 06/28/16 02:33 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I wasn't impressed with the overall workmanship on the Patriot that I looked at during a visit to Academy. The wide and uneven spacing between the forearm of the stock and free-floated barrel was not near as clean and crisp as that of my Browning A-bolt. The gap was so wide in fact, that I thought it would become a dirt magnet. Where you would need a thin sheet of paper to get between the free-floated barrel and forearm on a gun with good craftsmanship, you could have easily run poster board between the two on the Patriot that I looked at.

Personally, I like a gun that looks as clean and fine as it shoots.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6350371 06/28/16 02:51 PM
P
piney woods hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
its a low end rifle dan, never intended to be in same area as browning A bolt, this was ment to compete with savage axis and ruger american type rifle, for what it is its ok, is it a browning or tikka hell no no even a good ruger or remmy high end

NRA all the way god guns and guts made us free , i want all three
Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: piney woods hunter] #6350505 06/28/16 04:56 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: piney woods hunter
its a low end rifle dan, never intended to be in same area as browning A bolt, this was ment to compete with savage axis and ruger american type rifle, for what it is its ok, is it a browning or tikka hell no no even a good ruger or remmy high end

At close to $500 retail, I wouldn't call a true, low-end rifle.

Still, it's might be one of the most inexpensive bolt actions you can find with a wood stock.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6350553 06/28/16 05:32 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
You would want to compare the synthetic stock model with the other synthetic-stocked rifles.

I paid extra for the laminated stock and marinecoat on mine.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6350903 06/28/16 11:04 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
My son officially took possession of the Patriot today, it's his rifle now.

I still get to shoot it, of course. - He shoots my rifles all of the time, and we get into two shooter, one gun matches where everything is the same except the shooter.

Last edited by charlesb; 06/28/16 11:06 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6351045 06/29/16 01:45 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
you only shot 1 group????

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6351110 06/29/16 02:46 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Trying to figure out what I'm seeing with that target.... Looks like a 4 shot decent group but some sort of a square 'patch' thingy overlaid on top. What is that? And what's all that 'sawdust' looking stuff? Something strange going on.... P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: P_102] #6351220 06/29/16 10:38 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: P_102
Trying to figure out what I'm seeing with that target.... Looks like a 4 shot decent group but some sort of a square 'patch' thingy overlaid on top. What is that? And what's all that 'sawdust' looking stuff? Something strange going on.... P_102

That's a benchrest target, with five shots into it at 100 yards. I laid it down on my green workbench to take the photo.

I use the benchrest targets because they are inexpensive. - The square above the bullseye gives me a very good place to place the crosshairs on my scope. When the open area in the middle of the square is divided into four equal parts by my crosshairs, I'm on target.

The target is probably not supposed to be used this way, I am ignorant of its proper use. - But they work very well for me. I buy them in bulk.

The design is by IBS (International Benchrest Shooters) and the manufacturer is The National Target Company... If I remember correctly, I bought them from Midway. Do a search at Midway for "Official 100 Yd. Benchrest Target" if you would like to try them out. I can get two of them side by side on a target stand.

Here's a picture of one of the targets next to a familiar object for scale:

That's a one liter bottle of hooch... (I buy that in bulk, too!)

Last edited by charlesb; 06/29/16 12:12 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: Buzzsaw] #6351241 06/29/16 11:52 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
you only shot 1 group????

No, I shot quite a few. The first time out, the results were not encouraging, the groups averaging 2-3" in size. (I always shoot five-shot groups unless I'm low on ammo.) - I was not cleaning between shots, as I should have been doing, and ran 60 rounds through it.

So I took it home and did a general check on everything. I adjusted the trigger down to 2.5 pounds, cleaned the barrel thoroughly as it was chock full of carbon and copper, and made double-sure that everything was tightened properly on the action screws and scope mounts. (They were OK.)

On the second outing, I ran a bore-snake with a drappy or two of Hoppes#9 through the barrel after every shot. Group sizes shrank dramatically. - An added benefit to this was that the barrel cooled a lot faster too.

The best group on the second outing was a three-shot group as I was running out of ammo. - Two in one hole, with a "flyer" 1/4" off to the side.

Why do we break in a new barrel by cleaning between shots? - Because as you do so, less and less copper sticks until finally the barrel is seasoned, and copper will not stick to it very well at all. The accuracy steadily improves as you go, and after a while you do not have to clean it so often. Next time, I'll try cleaning every third shot and see how it goes.

Some rifle barrels benefit more from a proper break-in than others. It looks like this barrel responds very well to break-in, I should have been doing that on the first outing, but didn't.

One of my 2" groups from the first outing:

Last edited by charlesb; 06/29/16 12:24 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6351315 06/29/16 12:40 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
AG - Re previous Pic's: gotta luv the fuzzy green stuff in the empty bullet holes...looks like sumthin growing that's mebbe gonna grab your hand and pull you through one of 'em to somebeody who's been watchin too many horror movies late at nite ... or just pickin' nits.

You gotta be too " Old School " using Hoppe's #9 for this crowd too. Gawd I luv the smell of ol #9, and got banished by the BH years ago from cleaning my guns in the house over that smell, that has so many memories behind it to Geezers my age. Too late to change horses though, with 49 years on this partner.

Keep up the good neat concise clear cut work.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6351318 06/29/16 12:43 PM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I meant the black square partially covering the bullet holes, not the one that's part of the target.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6351331 06/29/16 12:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Thanks for the update. Well done on the tests. I like the looks of it and think it's a bargain for the price point. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: P_102] #6351447 06/29/16 02:11 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: P_102
I meant the black square partially covering the bullet holes, not the one that's part of the target.

It is an illusion at best. - That's just the way the paper tore from the bullet strikes.

"Fuzzy stuff" visible on the workbench, behind bullet holes - gloss hunter green enamel over particle board.

Last edited by charlesb; 06/29/16 02:14 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6351567 06/29/16 03:08 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Later this Summer/Early Fall when I get ready to start the shoot off's 'tween the 260 T3 & the TC Venture 270 I'll try to remember to order some of these BR targets from Midway.

I still use and grew up on the old 1" grid & center bulls X, with 4 additional small bulls X's in each corner..really like to frame my crosshairs over every 90* right angle intersecting line to a verticle line ...and then shoot the square corners when doing load ladders for accuracy hold points.

Dunno what the new to me range's benchs have for a surface though. Just found my sand bags & similar stuff on this last trip to the last storage unit last Sunday. The new Konus spotter has a camera adapter that I've never used before too. Really tiresome moving, and the amount of time needed to re establish a normal lifestyle again.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6352281 06/30/16 12:02 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Looked at a wood/blue 270 Patriot today...really like the stock's finish/stippled grip surfaces & recoil pad, OK with the DBM & double release points...can even learn to live with the over width barrel channel - reminds me of, but not quite as bad as a Post '64 Model 70 barrel channel in the early years, & the fit around the reciever is much better, based on a sample of One Rifle. Priced at $350, I can see the value...but the bolt raceway is some kinda rough - worse than any CZ 550 I ever saw that eventualy smoothed out with LOTS of bolt cycling that was dripping with bore cleaner...a TC Venture uses a slick liberal coating of Nitride to get around that double handful of gravel in the Patriot's raceway. Couldn't pull the trigger with the store's trgger lock in the way....

Got tickled at all the goop & dust bunnies in the barrel that a healthy scrubbing with a decent solvent soaked brass brush and mebbe a foam job too to speed up the breakin period.

The gun as is almost fits me too, and IMO is a vastly better a low cost speciman than an RAR at first blush. As always the proof is in the puddin' with time spent at the range.
Ron

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6352397 06/30/16 01:11 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I was pretty dubious about the feel of the bolt at first - until I tried it with the magazine loaded, or with the magazine removed. There was something about the spiral-fluted bolt riding over the plastic magazine follower that had bugged me.

Later I inspected the slots in the receiver that the bolt head rides in with the bore-scope, and it looked a lot cleaner than I expected.

I haven't really tried lubricating the inside of the receiver, but I did put a small amount of silicone grease on the cocking cam, and a thin layer on the outside of the bolt head. Somebody is wanting me to disassemble the bolt and take pictures of that, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Owners of the Mossberg lever gun, the 464 with the marinecoat finish have commented about the coating inside the receiver gumming up the works, and talked about cleaning it up with Scotch-Brite. The marine-coated Patriot I have here has the coating inside the receiver too, but I have not noticed a problem with it yet, after eighty rounds or so.

With 20/20 hindsight, I would get the walnut/blue version if I were to buy another one. Maybe in 7mm-08 or 270. My son has claimed this one in 30-06, so there's a good chance that I will do exactly that.

Out of the box, the Patriot trigger was set at three pounds, and there was a bit of creep there. I reduced the one here to 2.5 pounds and most of the creep went away when I did that. I haven't closely examined the trigger yet. At first glance, it looks like it only has one adjustment screw, a fat headless screw slotted for a thin but wider than usual screwdriver. One of my Grace screwdrivers fit it about right. It had some red stuff on it to keep it from moving that I broke free when I turned the screw. Some of my wife's nail polish was about the same color, so I borrowed a drop of that to secure the screw when I was done adjusting it. With use, the trigger is smoothing up. It still had some adjustment left, but I thought that 2.5 pounds was about as light as I wanted to go with a 30-06 hunting rifle.

At this point, I am waiting on more bullets to arrive. In this little desert town, bullets must be ordered online. I have ten rounds loaded with a starting load of H414. Varget has worked out well, but I'm about to run out of that, and I have a new can of H414. Hodgdon says it is ideal for 30-06. - I guess I'll find out about that. I've never tried it before.

Here I'm looking at the shoulder and neck area of the chamber, into the bore.

Here's some typical button-rifling chatter. - They all tend to look that way. It does not affect accuracy.

Last edited by charlesb; 06/30/16 01:27 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6352651 06/30/16 03:39 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
As light as the blue/wood LA 270 Patriot felt today. sans scope of course, I can see why the 30'06 might be "snappy" off the bench. After I've had a chance later this year to develop more certain feelings on the current batch I'll probably want to get back in the Lookin' at a Peasant Gun bidnizz more seriously.

Total Heresy but I wanted to get down to 3-THREE-trey shooters in different calibers and be finally done with the Hunt for Perfection journey and relax into the geezerhood sunset. Wound up with these 3 and need to make'em or break 'em so I can keep something and swap the others. After re thinking the spread, still dunno why I bought a 270 when I had a 260 waiting. Oh Well Somebody once said..Ya Dance with what brung ya and I've never been without a 270 since the early '70's...mebbe it's time though.
Ron

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6352977 06/30/16 02:12 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I had a NIB Rem 700 that looked like that. It shot patterns, not groups. New barrel fixed it.

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6353012 06/30/16 02:31 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Excellent update! Thanks. What is the trigger like? adjustable? weight?

Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb] #6353076 06/30/16 03:14 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
The trigger is supposed to be adjustable down to two pounds. Out of the box, it was set at three pounds, and had a bit of creep.

I adjusted it down to 2.5 pounds, and some of the creep went away. One thing that I have noticed after 80 rounds is that the trigger improves with age, I guess something is wearing in. In any case, it has smoothed out noticeably.

I just called Mossberg, and the service department tells me that the Patriot uses the same trigger as the earlier 4x4 model. This is significant because Timney makes a trigger for the 4x4. So, even though the Patriot is fairly new, there is an aftermarket trigger out there for it.

I'm going to stick with the original trigger though. I'm happy with it, as it is.

Kind regards, charlesb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide