6244083 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6350193 - 06/28/16 06:33 AM Mossberg Patriot update
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains

So - it appears to shoot as well as its competition in the inexpensive hunting rifle category.

It looks at least as good too - if not better.

I am still working on a comprehensive review, and will post the URL when it is ready for prime-time.

#6350194 - 06/28/16 06:37 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
jhenderson Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: The colony
Can't argue the facts there. It's no doubt accurate from the looks of it.

#6350352 - 06/28/16 09:33 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

I wasn't impressed with the overall workmanship on the Patriot that I looked at during a visit to Academy. The wide and uneven spacing between the forearm of the stock and free-floated barrel was not near as clean and crisp as that of my Browning A-bolt. The gap was so wide in fact, that I thought it would become a dirt magnet. Where you would need a thin sheet of paper to get between the free-floated barrel and forearm on a gun with good craftsmanship, you could have easily run poster board between the two on the Patriot that I looked at.

Personally, I like a gun that looks as clean and fine as it shoots.

Spring, Texas

#6350371 - 06/28/16 09:51 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
piney woods hunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: east texas
its a low end rifle dan, never intended to be in same area as browning A bolt, this was ment to compete with savage axis and ruger american type rifle, for what it is its ok, is it a browning or tikka hell no no even a good ruger or remmy high end

#6350505 - 06/28/16 11:56 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: piney woods hunter]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: piney woods hunter
its a low end rifle dan, never intended to be in same area as browning A bolt, this was ment to compete with savage axis and ruger american type rifle, for what it is its ok, is it a browning or tikka hell no no even a good ruger or remmy high end

At close to $500 retail, I wouldn't call a true, low-end rifle.

Still, it's might be one of the most inexpensive bolt actions you can find with a wood stock.

Spring, Texas

#6350553 - 06/28/16 12:32 PM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

You would want to compare the synthetic stock model with the other synthetic-stocked rifles.

I paid extra for the laminated stock and marinecoat on mine.

#6350903 - 06/28/16 06:04 PM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

My son officially took possession of the Patriot today, it's his rifle now.

I still get to shoot it, of course. - He shoots my rifles all of the time, and we get into two shooter, one gun matches where everything is the same except the shooter.

Edited by charlesb (06/28/16 06:06 PM)

#6351045 - 06/28/16 08:45 PM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Frisco, Texas
you only shot 1 group????

#6351110 - 06/28/16 09:46 PM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
P_102 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Grapevine
Trying to figure out what I'm seeing with that target.... Looks like a 4 shot decent group but some sort of a square 'patch' thingy overlaid on top. What is that? And what's all that 'sawdust' looking stuff? Something strange going on.... P_102

#6351220 - 06/29/16 05:38 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: P_102]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: P_102
Trying to figure out what I'm seeing with that target.... Looks like a 4 shot decent group but some sort of a square 'patch' thingy overlaid on top. What is that? And what's all that 'sawdust' looking stuff? Something strange going on.... P_102

That's a benchrest target, with five shots into it at 100 yards. I laid it down on my green workbench to take the photo.

I use the benchrest targets because they are inexpensive. - The square above the bullseye gives me a very good place to place the crosshairs on my scope. When the open area in the middle of the square is divided into four equal parts by my crosshairs, I'm on target.

The target is probably not supposed to be used this way, I am ignorant of its proper use. - But they work very well for me. I buy them in bulk.

The design is by IBS (International Benchrest Shooters) and the manufacturer is The National Target Company... If I remember correctly, I bought them from Midway. Do a search at Midway for "Official 100 Yd. Benchrest Target" if you would like to try them out. I can get two of them side by side on a target stand.

Here's a picture of one of the targets next to a familiar object for scale:

That's a one liter bottle of hooch... (I buy that in bulk, too!)

Edited by charlesb (06/29/16 07:12 AM)

#6351241 - 06/29/16 06:52 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: Buzzsaw]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
you only shot 1 group????

No, I shot quite a few. The first time out, the results were not encouraging, the groups averaging 2-3" in size. (I always shoot five-shot groups unless I'm low on ammo.) - I was not cleaning between shots, as I should have been doing, and ran 60 rounds through it.

So I took it home and did a general check on everything. I adjusted the trigger down to 2.5 pounds, cleaned the barrel thoroughly as it was chock full of carbon and copper, and made double-sure that everything was tightened properly on the action screws and scope mounts. (They were OK.)

On the second outing, I ran a bore-snake with a drappy or two of Hoppes#9 through the barrel after every shot. Group sizes shrank dramatically. - An added benefit to this was that the barrel cooled a lot faster too.

The best group on the second outing was a three-shot group as I was running out of ammo. - Two in one hole, with a "flyer" 1/4" off to the side.

Why do we break in a new barrel by cleaning between shots? - Because as you do so, less and less copper sticks until finally the barrel is seasoned, and copper will not stick to it very well at all. The accuracy steadily improves as you go, and after a while you do not have to clean it so often. Next time, I'll try cleaning every third shot and see how it goes.

Some rifle barrels benefit more from a proper break-in than others. It looks like this barrel responds very well to break-in, I should have been doing that on the first outing, but didn't.

One of my 2" groups from the first outing:

Edited by charlesb (06/29/16 07:24 AM)

#6351315 - 06/29/16 07:40 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
WileyCoyote Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
AG - Re previous Pic's: gotta luv the fuzzy green stuff in the empty bullet holes...looks like sumthin growing that's mebbe gonna grab your hand and pull you through one of 'em to somebeody who's been watchin too many horror movies late at nite ... or just pickin' nits.

You gotta be too " Old School " using Hoppe's #9 for this crowd too. Gawd I luv the smell of ol #9, and got banished by the BH years ago from cleaning my guns in the house over that smell, that has so many memories behind it to Geezers my age. Too late to change horses though, with 49 years on this partner.

Keep up the good neat concise clear cut work.
Ron

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#6351318 - 06/29/16 07:43 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
P_102 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Grapevine
I meant the black square partially covering the bullet holes, not the one that's part of the target.

#6351331 - 06/29/16 07:49 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: charlesb]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
Thanks for the update. Well done on the tests. I like the looks of it and think it's a bargain for the price point. up

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6351447 - 06/29/16 09:11 AM Re: Mossberg Patriot update [Re: P_102]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: P_102
I meant the black square partially covering the bullet holes, not the one that's part of the target.

It is an illusion at best. - That's just the way the paper tore from the bullet strikes.

"Fuzzy stuff" visible on the workbench, behind bullet holes - gloss hunter green enamel over particle board.

Edited by charlesb (06/29/16 09:14 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide