An air bow? #6344840 06/23/16 01:45 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?catego...minAirbow_ODA16

This is a air bow by Benjamin.
I haven't seen this before today.
I guess if this was legal to hunt with in Texas you would use it during rifle season?
Exotics I don't see a problem. I'm pretty sure its legal to use on them.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6344854 06/23/16 02:01 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
Thought about getting one but way to expensive and not sure u can use during archery season. im sure its ok for rifle season but im gonna use my ar15 in gun season.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345378 06/23/16 09:03 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Archery involves using a BOW to propel arrows. How is it a bow if it doesn't even have a string?

This type of weapon would NOT be legal for Texas archery season as it does not meet the requirements. The airbow is not a long bow, recurved bow, compound bow, or crossbow. It is an air rifle that shoots arrows, not a bow, LOL.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PW/htm/PW.62.htm

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345457 06/23/16 10:05 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I test shot one at Cabela's last month. At 20 yards first shot free hand in the middle of the bulls eye. Very easy to shoot. Surprising crisp trigger.

Faster than any bow or all but maybe 1 crossbow. A little on the expensive side for arrows but you all in cost with a tank to refill your air pressure is about the same as a fully outfitted bow with arrows.

I hope they allow it during bow season like they have cross bows for one primary reason.

There are so many bow hunters that wait until 2 weeks before the season if that to shoot their bow before they go start hunting with it. Thus we end up with a bunch of wounded deer that are never found. This weapon would be very appealing to that type of bow hunter but they would be much more accurate with it having very little practice before hunting resulting in more humane killing shots. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345495 06/23/16 10:27 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
There are so many bow hunters that wait until 2 weeks before the season if that to shoot their bow before they go start hunting with it. Thus we end up with a bunch of wounded deer that are never found. This weapon would be very appealing to that type of bow hunter but they would be much more accurate with it having very little practice before hunting resulting in more humane killing shots.

Sorry, but that is a lot of wishful thinking. When I used to be a member of the local gun range, it was full of deer hunters the weekend before deer season with their rifles. In short, they don't really practice either. Many don't bother with meticulous sighting in procedures. Too many are just happy to be on paper at 50 yards.

In short, if you think this is the solution for unethical or lazy bow hunters, I think you are mistaken.

It will literally take a change in Texas law to have the airbow be legal. Firing implements that qualify for archery are specifically identified by law and they all have bow strings.

These sorts of air rifles have been around for a while. Talon had the TD400 archery conversion back in 2009.

However, if the airbow or talon would qualify, then so would the LaRue Ruger conversion. It shoots arrows without a string...
http://www.larue.com/ruger-10-22-deluxe-arrow-conversion-kit

Re: An air bow? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6345505 06/23/16 10:34 PM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Looks like an air rifle to me confused2 It uses air to send the arrow, right?

Re: An air bow? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6345508 06/23/16 10:38 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
There are so many bow hunters that wait until 2 weeks before the season if that to shoot their bow before they go start hunting with it. Thus we end up with a bunch of wounded deer that are never found. This weapon would be very appealing to that type of bow hunter but they would be much more accurate with it having very little practice before hunting resulting in more humane killing shots.

Sorry, but that is a lot of wishful thinking. When I used to be a member of the local gun range, it was full of deer hunters the weekend before deer season with their rifles. In short, they don't really practice either. Many don't bother with meticulous sighting in procedures. Too many are just happy to be on paper at 50 yards.

In short, if you think this is the solution for unethical or lazy bow hunters, I think you are mistaken.

It will literally take a change in Texas law to have the airbow be legal. Firing implements that qualify for archery are specifically identified by law and they all have bow strings.

These sorts of air rifles have been around for a while. Talon had the TD400 archery conversion back in 2009.

However, if the airbow or talon would qualify, then so would the LaRue Ruger conversion. It shoots arrows without a string...
http://www.larue.com/ruger-10-22-deluxe-arrow-conversion-kit

I agree with you it is wishful thinking. Didn't know LaRue made that. Interesting.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to make it legal for archery season that's for sure.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345530 06/23/16 10:54 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Hey I'm just calling it like they had it named. Don't shoot the messenger. And I never assumed or stated it would be or should be legal in bow season.

Sensitive people...hey calm down. I just saw the darn thing for first time today. To me it looks like a air gun and I have no clue why they call it a air bow? It just propels an arrow with air. Doubt I will get one. I would be happier with a modern compound or a standard hunting rifle.

Last edited by Curtis; 06/23/16 11:00 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345587 06/23/16 11:33 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
A bit defensive about your post, Curtis, LOL.

They called it an air bow to sound cool and to try to sell them. It is marketing hype.

I have actually seen a rifle version fire. They are cool devices, but if you could use a rifle, why put an arrow in it?

Exotics? Jim Shockey shot a buffalo with the air bow. I don't know where that was. He says it "changes everything." Well, not really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqMkjYjmtw

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345598 06/23/16 11:43 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Only legal in Texas for varmints and hogs at the moment.

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345652 06/24/16 12:35 AM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
THE SAD EVOLUTION OF BOW SEASON: Traditional Bows to Compound Bows to Cross Bows to Air Bows to Drone Bows.

Why not just convert Bow Season to Gun Season?

If you can't laugh at yourself, give me a call. I'll gladly laugh at you.

"I keep trying to see Nancy Pelosi's and Chuck Schumer's point of view,
but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345711 06/24/16 01:37 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
IT IS NOT LEGAL IN TEXAS FOR DEER

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345769 06/24/16 02:22 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Crossman is lobbying hard across the country to get it legalized for more critters and seasons. On their webpage is a map with states that have made it legal for hunting. link

To me it is an air rifle that shoots an arrow, the only thing about it that is archery related is the arrow. Accuracy is pretty good but no better than from a good crossbow. If some of the crossbows were safe to shoot a 370 grain bolt there would not be much difference as the arrows for the airbow run about 65 grains lighter than crossbow bolts. $99.99 for six arrows then count in the broadheads and each shot on game will be $25 or more and hope you do not break the arrow (not my idea of hog ammo).

If it is legalized for deer I hope is only for general season

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345773 06/24/16 02:26 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
You can use it on hogs and exotics. I would like to try it on some hogs.

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6345823 06/24/16 03:35 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Interesting kmon1. That is one confusing map. However, they make a statement that is interesting. They are not promoting it as archery, but noting it is legal where air gun are legal.

Quote:
Based on the Pioneer's powerplant, we believe it is legal for use in those states in which Air Powered Guns are eligible.

Re: An air bow? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6346304 06/24/16 06:02 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
A bit defensive about your post, Curtis, LOL.

They called it an air bow to sound cool and to try to sell them. It is marketing hype.

I have actually seen a rifle version fire. They are cool devices, but if you could use a rifle, why put an arrow in it?

Exotics? Jim Shockey shot a buffalo with the air bow. I don't know where that was. He says it "changes everything." Well, not really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqMkjYjmtw

Nope I'm not sensitive about it. Just seems a few others are and I guess some like to read into it more than what's there.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: An air bow? [Re: BayouGuy] #6346319 06/24/16 06:14 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: BayouGuy
THE SAD EVOLUTION OF BOW SEASON: Traditional Bows to Compound Bows to Cross Bows to Air Bows to Drone Bows.

Why not just convert Bow Season to Gun Season?

Archery needs to have its own season.

Personally I don't think this gun that shoots an arrow has a fit in archery season. If anything it would be rifle season I think.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6346869 06/25/16 02:26 AM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B

Quote:

Why is that? Because bow hunters are "special"? I hunt with a flintlock and want the same special benefits bow hunters have.

but I can't seem to get my head that far up my [censored]." Senator John Kennedy, Louisiana
Re: An air bow? [Re: BayouGuy] #6347108 06/25/16 01:23 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BayouGuy

Quote:

Why is that? Because bow hunters are "special"? I hunt with a flintlock and want the same special benefits bow hunters have.

Yep I would be content with just "deer season" I bow hunt with longbows, rifle hunt with scoped rifles and hunt with pretty much everything in between too. Deer season should be at a time to take mature deer without young offspring and be all about the continued success of the species, rather than the feelings of the hunters as to their own personal version of how they choose to hunt. Some people are just too full of themselves though and believe deer hunting is a competition and thus we have a bow season.

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6347174 06/25/16 02:43 PM
Curtis Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Well if you want your own season, lobby for it like the bowhunters did and get your own stamp that you pay for to have that season. Nobody is stopping you from doing it.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
Bow hunters welcome!

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6347193 06/25/16 03:15 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Curtis
Well if you want your own season, lobby for it like the bowhunters did and get your own stamp that you pay for to have that season. Nobody is stopping you from doing it.

More with the competition theory. No, just one deer season. Hunt how you want. If you think you need your own season you're hunting for the wrong reasons. It's not a competition.

Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6347288 06/25/16 04:58 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Remember when we had archery season, muzzleloader season and general?

Pee on Photobucket
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6347289 06/25/16 04:59 PM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Remember when we had archery season, muzzleloader season and general?

Pee on Photobucket
Re: An air bow? [Re: Curtis] #6347320 06/25/16 05:40 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I think this can be a useful tool to manage deer herds in suburban areas where firearms usage isn't safe. As far as I'm concerned, it's simply a crossbow in another format and it should be treated as such.

As far as bow vs crossbow in archery seasons, I think there are two reasonable lines of thought:

1) Archery season is for archery enthusiasts to hunt with highly restricted weapons without having to compete with firearms hunters.
2) Archery season is for managing deer herds in highly populated areas, and the primary goal is deer herd management.

The two lines of thought lead to differing regulation and management as they have different goals. As far as I'm concerned, you can make a reasonable argument for both. If the state archery policy represents #2 above, there's no reason why the air bow shouldn't be legal during archery deer season. If state archery policy represents #1 above, then it shouldn't be legal. It's all about the public policy rationale for archery season.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: An air bow? [Re: ntxtrapper] #6347332 06/25/16 05:52 PM
B
BayouGuy Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
Originally Posted By: Curtis

More with the competition theory. No, just one deer season. Hunt how you want. If you think you need your own season you're hunting for the wrong reasons. It's not a competition.

Totally agree. There should be one season for all. Hunt with the weapon of your choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide