Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How many [Re: scalebuster] #6342591 06/21/16 12:45 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
One of the men I work with shot and killed a thug breaking into his company tool truck in Tyler. He shot him with a .357 from the second floor window. This was after several break ins. He was given a reward for catching the thief.

Link to story please.

I thought the code of the west was to never shoot a man in the back. Now, some of you are advocating shooting an unarmed man in the back. Just think of how many shoplifters would be shot each day if everyone lived by that code.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6342596 06/21/16 12:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If we went back to that, there'd be less theiving chit heads in this world.

Horse theft meant hanging. If the owner of the horse saved the hangman some work, no one complained, but the hangman.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6342603 06/21/16 12:55 PM
S
scalebuster Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
One of the men I work with shot and killed a thug breaking into his company tool truck in Tyler. He shot him with a .357 from the second floor window. This was after several break ins. He was given a reward for catching the thief.

Link to story please.

I thought the code of the west was to never shoot a man in the back. Now, some of you are advocating shooting an unarmed man in the back. Just think of how many shoplifters would be shot each day if everyone lived by that code.

This was over 30 years ago. He donated the reward to charity. He said he didn't want blood money.

Re: How many [Re: J.G.] #6342605 06/21/16 12:57 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Horse theft meant hanging. If the owner of the horse saved the hangman some work, no one complained, but the hangman.

Welcome to our progressive new world where people are not held responsible for their actions and choices.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: How many [Re: Marc K] #6342690 06/21/16 01:58 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Marc in Bastrop

Welcome to our progressive new world where people are not held responsible for their actions and choices.

I am well aware. I am submersed in it. They call us to solve their problems, no matter how small, like turn off a breaker.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6342708 06/21/16 02:18 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
It really depends on circumstances. I catch a guy touching my truck, I pull my gun. The rest is up to him. I'd prefer he just gets a scare and walks away. I might let him. I might hold him for the cops. It's up to him. If he scares me, I open fire.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: How many [Re: J.G.] #6342725 06/21/16 02:38 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

Just like if you got your hand cut off for stealing, wouldn't be too hard to spot a thief and they could only get caught twice.

Re: How many [Re: billybob] #6343688 06/22/16 12:46 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: billybob
Originally Posted By: ntxtra
Wouldn't care if I felt it was a good shoot.

Between 5,000 and 10,000 to include the grand jury proceedings depending how complicated things get. Jury trial for causing a death, 20,000 to 30,000 dollar range at least. The point being missed here is that regardless of what the codified law states or how justified you believe the shoot was, the grand jury can true bill and trash the next year of your life and then never even have to explain why the indictment was done. Happens all the time. Shooting someone over property is not worth the property. [/quote

I have no doubt it would cost that much. That's why it is important to have insurance such as Tex law shield. I do doubt that the grand jury's in Tex pass many if any cases of legitimate shoot car theft cases to trial.

It's 2016. You can be indicted for causing a vehicle accident that results in a death or serious injury. Never mind it's called an ACCIDENT and you weren't impaired by alcohol or drugs. 20 years ago that would have been a joke. Not anymore. All it takes is some bad media and maybe a little race just for grins. Good luck killing people for property.

Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6343933 06/22/16 04:57 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Have I? No

Would I shoot someone?: Only if I felt threatened.

Would I shoot someone for stealing my truck? Only if he did not wait long enough for me to go get my wife and.. neeeever mind, she may read this...

lol..

Seriously though, over a truck? Too many variables. If all they did was get into the truck and drive off? Nah, I would file a claim and get a new truck. I had a truck stolen once as I was going inside the house to get the new registration sticker. They were pulled over 2 hours later with an expired sticker, got the truck back, minus all the hunting and fishing gear and stereo.

If I caught them breaking into the truck, I might be inclined to hold them at gun-point till the cops arrived and if they ran away, I'd let them. If they blinked wrong at me, I have no problem shooting them...probably in the leg.. maybe both... maybe take off an ear, if they have an earring... lol :P

Things can be replaced, no-one deserves to die... but I will not be a victim. If they try to do the crime, and I catch them, they better learn how to stand rrrreeeaaalll still.

R

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: How many [Re: billybob] #6358355 07/05/16 07:33 AM
L
Loganf Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L

Between 5,000 and 10,000 to include the grand jury proceedings depending how complicated things get. Jury trial for causing a death, 20,000 to 30,000 dollar range at least. The point being missed here is that regardless of what the codified law states or how justified you believe the shoot was, the grand jury can true bill and trash the next year of your life and then never even have to explain why the indictment was done. Happens all the time. Shooting someone over property is not worth the property. [/quote

I have no doubt it would cost that much. That's why it is important to have insurance such as Tex law shield. I do doubt that the grand jury's in Tex pass many if any cases of legitimate shoot car theft cases to trial.

I have seen and been involved in more than one incident of the sort. Case 1 day time shot and killed a guy at 9 am trying to steal his car. He got no billed.
Case 2 about a year later (which means totally different grand jury) guy finds bad guy trying to steal his car at 3 am. Shoots at bad guy 4 times. 1 round hit bad guy in the right leg. Shooter got indicted!

It really depends on the grand jury. Both of those were in the same city so geography isn't the factor. Sometime you have a good grand jury sometimes you don't. I'm not leaving my life to the chance of the grand jury

Re: How many [Re: scalebuster] #6358584 07/05/16 02:37 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Link to story please.

This was over 30 years ago. He donated the reward to charity. He said he didn't want blood money.

30 years ago you could shoot someone during a fight and get a involuntary Mansaughter and be out in 3 years.

Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6358591 07/05/16 02:40 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Oh the good ol days!

lol

(joking..)

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: How many [Re: Loganf] #6359610 07/06/16 10:48 AM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Loganf

Between 5,000 and 10,000 to include the grand jury proceedings depending how complicated things get. Jury trial for causing a death, 20,000 to 30,000 dollar range at least. The point being missed here is that regardless of what the codified law states or how justified you believe the shoot was, the grand jury can true bill and trash the next year of your life and then never even have to explain why the indictment was done. Happens all the time. Shooting someone over property is not worth the property.

I have no doubt it would cost that much. That's why it is important to have insurance such as Tex law shield. I do doubt that the grand jury's in Tex pass many if any cases of legitimate shoot car theft cases to trial. [/quote

I have seen and been involved in more than one incident of the sort. Case 1 day time shot and killed a guy at 9 am trying to steal his car. He got no billed.
Case 2 about a year later (which means totally different grand jury) guy finds bad guy trying to steal his car at 3 am. Shoots at bad guy 4 times. 1 round hit bad guy in the right leg. Shooter got indicted!

It really depends on the grand jury. Both of those were in the same city so geography isn't the factor. Sometime you have a good grand jury sometimes you don't. I'm not leaving my life to the chance of the grand jury

How did the indicted one turn out...did he go to jail?

Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6360375 07/06/16 11:11 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Now days a justified shooting could result in a media outlash on you, your guns, family, privacy. Protesters picketing your house and your place of employment. Threats on your life are the normal, civil suits, and stress that your family doesn't need. And that is if you are cleared of any criminal charges (that cost was covered previously). Most of these things aren't covered by hand gun owners insurance policy.
Not to mention therapy for yourself, I am sure shooting someone isn't really that graceful of an event.
And God forbid that you shoot someone of a different race than yourself.
But I guess as long as the truck is in the driveway and you don't have to mess with a deductible, it is worth it.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6360442 07/07/16 12:07 AM
R
rdhibbs Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
I have never pulled the trigger, but many years ago i spotted a strange vehicle at the shop yard ( Granddads privite wrecking yard) I grabed my .357 and headed over there. I did not see any one in the yard so I took the revolver out and started walking. I heard voies comming from an old box car that had my great great grand parents stuff in it. I stepped in the door and just stood there quitly with that stainless security six. Three guys came out of the other room carrying my familys stuff. The rirst one out actualy had permition to be on the property to run some livestock, not to bring friends to rob us. One sayed Look at that hog leg and they put the stuff down. I knew I was not in danger so I never raised the wepon. We visited a minute one asked me to see the pistol, I unloaded 6 rounds of jacketed hollow points and handed it to him (not smart I was young and dumb) he gave it back. I told them that no one in the family goes over there with out a gun any more due to theifs. We never saw that SOB again. He knew my grandfather had demencia and took advantage. We changed the locks, he never appiligised to Grandmother either.
I would not shoot over stuff but for my life or any one elses I would in a hartbeat.

Thank You
Robert

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, right or wrong - is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6360831 07/07/16 07:24 AM
L
Loganf Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
L
Yes the DA charged him with aggravated assault that got dropped down to deadly conduct

Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6402541 08/10/16 09:04 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
My response is very similar to Cast's

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: How many [Re: bill oxner] #6402586 08/10/16 09:40 PM
S
Spent Brass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have, in defense of my dad. Looong story, but a guy tried to run my pops down with a truck and I stopped him, for good. Never did see the inside of a courtroom over it, never lost a wink of sleep over it. It did take a while for the adrenaline dump to subside, several hours actually, and some whiskey. Hell of it is, the guy was stealing my lawn mower and weedwhacker, not something I'd kill a man for, but when he pointed the truck at dad I never had a second thought. Shoot till slide lock, reload, call the lawyer, THEN the police.

Re: How many [Re: ntxtrapper] #6402745 08/10/16 11:16 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper

Between 5,000 and 10,000 to include the grand jury proceedings depending how complicated things get. Jury trial for causing a death, 20,000 to 30,000 dollar range at least. The point being missed here is that regardless of what the codified law states or how justified you believe the shoot was, the grand jury can true bill and trash the next year of your life and then never even have to explain why the indictment was done. Happens all the time. Shooting someone over property is not worth the property.

Wonder how many that answered "yes" spent that or had to deal with that...my experience taught me different. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not every time on a "good shoot"

Again, I wouldn't shoot someone over my truck or property outside my house unless the situation turned that I felt I had too.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide