Forums46
Topics537,810
Posts9,729,381
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd #6337912 06/17/16 12:21 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Quote:
By Joseph Fitzsimons
Special to the Star-Telegram


The June 2015 discovery of Chronic Wasting Disease in a Medina County captive deer breeding facility represents arguably the most serious threat our Texas white-tailed deer populations have experienced since they were on the brink of extinction in the early 20th century.

It is ironic that captive deer breeding may well be the cure that destroys the populations it was originally meant to help rescue.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, recognizing the severity and potential impact of this disease, responded swiftly and responsibly to halt the movement of breeder deer immediately upon CWD detection, until sufficient testing had been done on the population and a prudent plan was put in place for dealing with the disease.

Similarly, TPWD recognized the broad effect of its decisions, so the department held a series of professionally mediated stakeholder forums in an attempt to build consensus around the state’s response to the disease.

These forums included all major stakeholders, including all major deer breeding trade associations.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn...l#storylink=cpy

I commend the TPWD staff and commission for their efforts, and I encourage all Texans who value our wildlife resources, hunting and rural economies to express support to the TPWD commission before Monday, June 20.

The ability of future generations to enjoy wildlife in its native habitat depends on all concerned Texans making their voices heard. Please support our Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in its efforts to protect our natural resources.

Joseph Fitzsimons is a rancher, lawyer and conservationist who is a director of the Texas Wildlife Association and former chairman of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn...l#storylink=cpy

Make your comments and beliefs known on the TPWD comment site.

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6337960 06/17/16 12:41 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Why didn't he say anything thing about the west Texas herd or panhandle?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6338267 06/17/16 11:38 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
This article is very slanted towards the authors former employer, TPWD. Singing their praises of how they relied on the most up to date science to make their decisions and trying to give the impression to the general pubic that this disease started with deer breeding never mentioned it was first discovered in Texas in wild low fence deer populations. Therefore it lacks credibility with me and I give TPWD a grade of F for the way they have dealt with this. And I am not a deer breeder and have no vested interest in deer breeding.

All they accomplished is they killed hundreds of deer, none of which tested positive for the disease. They used junk science, not the most updated methods available being live testing. So I am going to raise the BS flag now.

bs

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 06/17/16 11:40 AM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6338447 06/17/16 02:51 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I agree with Pitchfork Predator, I will not support someone's cure for the unknown by the eradication of hundreds of deer that were perfectly healthy until TPWD demonstrated how they go about protecting our natural resources.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6338513 06/17/16 03:34 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
TPWD best wildlife agency in the nation. They will figure it out and get it right for all sportsman and stakeholders involved.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: txbobcat] #6338527 06/17/16 03:45 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
TPWD best wildlife agency in the nation. They will figure it out and get it right for all sportsman and stakeholders involved.

As a whole I would agree, jury is still out on top level. They sure seem to have an agenda. Lots of very pointed statements.

Why is CO ground zero not stressing over CWD?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6338558 06/17/16 04:02 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

As a whole I would agree, jury is still out on top level. They sure seem to have an agenda. Lots of very pointed statements.

CO did and still does to a degree, they have dealt with it longer so.... They do have units that have the advisory, some require head check in. The unit I hunt is voluntary, but recommended, for what that is worth.

Not quite the breeding program there as well..You know all this BOBO whip

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6338588 06/17/16 04:31 PM
H
Hoytman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
All dealings i have had over the years with tpwd have not been good and especially with all the antler restriction questions so not fond of tpwd.

(Sig Pic to be no more than 125 pixels tall)
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: txbobcat] #6338966 06/17/16 10:12 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Wow. Really?

CWD has had a sustained significant impact where?

It literally borders on insanity to believe that a pathogen that takes longer than the average deer's lifespan to kill it, could ever significantly impact a population.

We've known about it since '67 and there's never been a decimated wild population (except of course when Wisconsin slaughtered their deer).

So it's been proven over and over again in every state and region where it exists that it's an insignificant naturally limited pathogen. But somehow TPWD is going to "fix" it??? Sweet geezus quit it.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6339011 06/17/16 10:55 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
TPWD's own audits and scientific reviews show they have little or no regards for real science.

Now, their law enforcement and parks divisions are awesome, and the best in the nation, I agree.

When you include management and scientists, (central scientist), the are lacking, to put it mildly.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: Western] #6339047 06/17/16 11:23 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Western

CO did and still does to a degree, they have dealt with it longer so.... They do have units that have the advisory, some require head check in. The unit I hunt is voluntary, but recommended, for what that is worth.

Actually a lot there. Fact of the matter is CO response to CWD is soley monitoring

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6339180 06/18/16 01:12 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Western

Actually a lot there. Fact of the matter is CO response to CWD is soley monitoring

Yep

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: therancher] #6339298 06/18/16 02:55 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: therancher

Wow. Really?

It literally borders on insanity to believe that a pathogen that takes longer than the average deer's lifespan to kill it, could ever significantly impact a population.

We've known about it since '67 and there's never been a decimated wild population (except of course when Wisconsin slaughtered their deer).

So it's been proven over and over again in every state and region where it exists that it's an insignificant naturally limited pathogen. But somehow TPWD is going to "fix" it??? Sweet geezus quit it.

Did I say anything about fixing anything?

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: txbobcat] #6339301 06/18/16 02:57 AM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Wow. Really?

If they "figure it out and get it right for all sportsman and stakeholders involved" won't they have "fixed" it?

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: JJH] #6339415 06/18/16 06:40 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: JJH

Wow. Really?

If they "figure it out and get it right for all sportsman and stakeholders involved" won't they have "fixed" it?

Actually, "they'll figure it out and get it right for all stakeholders" is an even more preposterous statement than "they'll fix it".

I don't even think any of the folks at tpwd believe what they HAVE done and are about to do is "figuring it out and getting it right for all stakeholders".

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6339530 06/18/16 01:09 PM
E
ELKMTB Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Hysteria to get funding. Democratic playbook

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6339834 06/18/16 07:15 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
The rancher they won't make everyone happy I just hope they don't cower to the TDA minority. They don't represent most of Texas sportsman. TDA is going to lose out bad on the deal. They really need to fire some directors and start over.

Since you have so much extensive knowledge of CWD I can't believe you aren't on the TPWD board of directors! Lol

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6339921 06/18/16 09:06 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Txbobcat it appears that you have anger issues towards TDA. I am curious how TDA has failed you. I have been a proud member for coming on 18 years and have seen them provide college scholarships to numorous students wanting to further their education in wildlife management and vetinary medicine.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: BowsnRods] #6339988 06/18/16 10:41 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
Txbobcat it appears that you have anger issues towards TDA. I am curious how TDA has failed you. I have been a proud member for coming on 18 years and have seen them provide college scholarships to numorous students wanting to further their education in wildlife management and vetinary medicine.

Just since the CWD outbreak. They have caused damage to hunting in general with the public over this whole deal. They have avoided trying to be a partner with the state to try and find solutions and thought they would throw their "weight" around instead.

Hunting and hunters in general need public support. TDA has done just about everything they can to damage hunting over this deal. Their public relations team along with whichever directors have been ramrodding the effort should be canned.

I don't care one way or the other about high fences or breeders. I have cousins with fences and permits big deal. What I do care about is how hunting and conservation issues are handled in the state.

The state has not been perfect on this whole CWD deal that has been obvious but TDA has been way worse for the general hunting population. Keeping this stirred up in the media draws unwanted attention....I would think high fences and deer breeding would be last folks wanting lots of public attention...but that's just me I guess. Carry on.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6340051 06/19/16 12:00 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
TPWD hearing
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission will be holding a meeting about the proposed regulations. You can watch the meeting online and comment on their website:

Location: J.J. Pickle Research Campus in the Commons Learning Center at 10100 Burnet Road, Building 137, Austin, TX, 78758.

Time: 9 a.m. Monday

ONLINE: tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/

Twitter: Follow TPWD tweets using hashtag #TPWcom

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6340200 06/19/16 03:11 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Txbobcat, I think you need to look at the big picture and from a deer breeders perspective. I will give you a very simple example that maybe you can understand. You are a dog breeder and raise some of the best hunting dogs in state. You sell a puppy and a month later contracts an incurable disease. The puppy must be put down, animal health department contacts you and tells you they are going to have to kill all your dogs. What now, how you gonna feed your family. All your dogs are fine and show no signs of illness.

Last edited by BowsnRods; 06/19/16 03:47 AM.
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: BowsnRods] #6340271 06/19/16 04:20 AM
A
Aim Small Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Txbobcat, I think you need to look at the big picture and from a deer breeders perspective. I will give you a very simple example that maybe you can understand. You are a dog breeder and raise some of the best hunting dogs in state. You sell a puppy and a month later contracts an incurable disease. The puppy must be put down, animal health department contacts you and tells you they are going to have to kill all your dogs. What now, how you gonna feed your family. All your dogs are fine and show no signs of illness.

Use live testing that the department has approved.

Last edited by Aim Small; 06/19/16 04:22 AM.
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: BowsnRods] #6340355 06/19/16 12:27 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

I think you need to read my last post again.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6340743 06/19/16 09:15 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I don't think the CWD issue is an issue that is totally black and white, right or wrong whatever side you are on. I think there's a common sense solution out there somewhere. However, both sides seem to be really digging in their heels. There is a lot of good information from both sides. Hopefully both can get together and figure it out. I tend to side with the breeders on this issue but that's just me.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6340748 06/19/16 09:18 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Txbobcat, I have attended several of the meetings. I have also witnessed first hand TDA and we the members attempt to work together with tpwd in further research and scientific study of cwd in the whitetail population within a controlled enviroment. This has fallen on deaf ears with tpwd. It was 18 years ago this year TDA attempted partnership with tpwd which formed operation game thief, it lasted one year tpwd became greedy with financial support from TDA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide