Forum Stats
60480 Members
45 Forums
476231 Topics
6247235 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6338758 - 06/17/16 01:44 PM Missouri banning hog hunting on public land?
dkershen Online   content

Loc: Denton/Argyle
So this makes zero sense to me. When you are trying to control hogs you need all hands on deck taking them out of the ecosystem. Why limit the efforts to state run trapping only?

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-...33b8f4dd6c.html

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#6338959 - 06/17/16 04:58 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Bedford, TX
That does not make any sense.

#6338961 - 06/17/16 05:02 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
TXHOGSLAYER Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
Instead of buying $6000 traps they would be better off putting a bounty on each tail or set of ears turned in.

#6339022 - 06/17/16 06:03 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
CharlieCTx Offline
Tracker

Loc: Flower Mound, TX
I'm not a big conspiracy theorist type, but I'll bet there's more to this statement than meets the eye...

"Jeffries said the state is experimenting with remotely controlled traps that cost $6,000 each, but are more effective than most of the current traps used in the effort."

Charlie

#6339051 - 06/17/16 06:26 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: CharlieCTx]
dkershen Online   content

Loc: Denton/Argyle
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
I'm not a big conspiracy theorist type, but I'll bet there's more to this statement than meets the eye...

"Jeffries said the state is experimenting with remotely controlled traps that cost $6,000 each, but are more effective than most of the current traps used in the effort."

Charlie

Translation. Jeffries got a big campaign contribution from the company wanting to sell the state a million dollars in hog traps (or some similar behind the doors transaction).

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
www.NewHopeEquine.com

#6339052 - 06/17/16 06:27 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
decook Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Montgomery, TX USA
Sounds like the lobbyist is also the trap maker. At $6G a pop, I'd be willing to do this in Texas as long as I also get the exclusive rights to shoot them too just like the Missouri game warden will be doing in the off season for fun and recreation (and the peasants won't).

I wonder what the fine will be for shooting the the king's pigs?

#6339078 - 06/17/16 06:41 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
SnakeWrangler Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Fairfield, TX
.......complete unadulterated idiots.......

"Death is permanent...everything else is temporary!"

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"

#6339107 - 06/17/16 06:59 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Midwesterners.

#6340130 - 06/18/16 08:56 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
Wacm Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Wimberley, Tx
Poachers maybe? Gives Jim bob an excuse to have a gun in the wood all the time. Then you need GWs out there all the time. I guess

#6340176 - 06/18/16 09:42 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: North Texas.
More things make less sense these days. bang

...or is it less things are done with common sense... rolleyes

I dunno anymore.

#6340268 - 06/18/16 11:15 PM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
Double Naught Spy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Forestburg, Montague Cnty, TX
This is a lesser implementation of the plan being utilized in NY state. The belief is that hunters are effectively scattering hogs and as a result causing the population to blossom in multiple loci. More than likely, the problem is illicit hunters dumping hogs for the purpose of propagating future hunting.

It is believed that by disallowing hunting, hunters won't scatter the hogs and there won't be any potential reward for dumping hogs to promote hunting. It is further believed that trapping will then work very effectively to get rid of the hogs.

The problem with the plan is that there is no proof of hunting scattering the hogs and the plan does not extend to private lands. So hunting on private lands and all the associated practices will continue there, thereby keeping the population alive and well to resettle public lands.

It will fail.

#6340487 - 06/19/16 10:18 AM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: Double Naught Spy]
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
This is a lesser implementation of the plan being utilized in NY state. The belief is that hunters are effectively scattering hogs and as a result causing the population to blossom in multiple loci. More than likely, the problem is illicit hunters dumping hogs for the purpose of propagating future hunting.

It is believed that by disallowing hunting, hunters won't scatter the hogs and there won't be any potential reward for dumping hogs to promote hunting. It is further believed that trapping will then work very effectively to get rid of the hogs.

The problem with the plan is that there is no proof of hunting scattering the hogs and the plan does not extend to private lands. So hunting on private lands and all the associated practices will continue there, thereby keeping the population alive and well to resettle public lands.

It will fail.

This is similar to the thinking of the Virginia Dept of Game and Fish. They have not done a ban on hog hunting but do not encourage it. They think that by not encouraging hog hunting somehow it will minimize the problem because hunting would "encourage" some people to release hogs. That said, these are the same idiots who made it illegal to use deer urine (without any public hearings) as they feared it might spread CWD.

Edited by TonyinVA (06/19/16 10:20 AM)

#6340518 - 06/19/16 10:58 AM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
One of the comments.

Quote:
Only problem there is that the feral hogs are 100x smarter than the Missouri lawmakers.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#6340519 - 06/19/16 10:59 AM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: TonyinVA]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
Every day I read something that pi$$es me off, showing me somewhere, someone is the dumbest person in the room, but is somehow the person in charge.

I had a boss like that years ago, and I'd still like to break his damn nose.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6340527 - 06/19/16 11:06 AM Re: Missouri banning hog hunting on public land? [Re: dkershen]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
I have a friend that is a GW in Missouri, I sent him the link and asked why or for an explanation. Will post his reply when I get it.

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide