Forums46
Topics537,993
Posts9,731,539
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6340907 06/20/16 12:11 AM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Has anyone asked the state if they would start testing deer that are hit and killed on the road? Seems to me those would be some easy samples to find, and plenty of them.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6340922 06/20/16 12:20 AM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Good question jmh004, there is a time frame in which you can pull a brain stem on a dead deer and proper care and preservation must be taken in order to provide a testable sample.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6341395 06/20/16 12:57 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
"Just since the CWD outbreak. They have caused damage to hunting in general with the public over this whole deal. They have avoided trying to be a partner with the state to try and find solutions and thought they would throw their "weight" around instead. "

Txbobcat have you been to any of the meetings??

I'm not a breeder and I've been to 3 of the meetings. I can assure you from a non breeder's perspective, the only ones trying to partner and find reasonable data driven solutions are the breeders and folks in the hunting industry.

The state absolutely would have nothing to do with live testing (even AFTER they were shown data from experts that it was as accurate as post mortem testing). It wasn't until breeders were forced to show how obstinate, brutish and unscientific the state was being (through truth in media) that the state allowed live testing to be adopted.

Maybe you should learn a few more facts before you post an opinion?

Last edited by therancher; 06/20/16 02:02 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6341459 06/20/16 01:42 PM
F
flounder Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Friday, April 22, 2016

COLORADO CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE CWD TSE PRION SURVEILLANCE AND TESTING PROGRAM IS MINIMAL AND LIMITED

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2016/04/colorado-chronic-wasting-disease-cwd.html

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6341941 06/20/16 08:04 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Great post therancher, I was wondering the same on txbobcat comment. I figured I must have missed that meeting.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6341997 06/20/16 08:47 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I heard the new rules were adopted today. Breeders must test 80% of deer that die in their pens. Plus live test 50% of their deer in the pens. There was also a real interesting one about a deer being released from a pen to a high fence ranch. Any gate on that ranch can never be opened again for fear of that said deer "escaping" and infecting the wild population. I'd like to know how they're going to enforce that last one.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: BowsnRods] #6342020 06/20/16 09:07 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
Great post therancher, I was wondering the same on txbobcat comment. I figured I must have missed that meeting.

Yeah I'd like to see him defend his statement but I'm thinking he knows he got caught talking straight outta his nether regions.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jmh004] #6342166 06/20/16 11:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: jmh004
I heard the new rules were adopted today. Breeders must test 80% of deer that die in their pens. Plus live test 50% of their deer in the pens. There was also a real interesting one about a deer being released from a pen to a high fence ranch. Any gate on that ranch can never be opened again for fear of that said deer "escaping" and infecting the wild population. I'd like to know how they're going to enforce that last one.

What's the ruling on DPM pens on non-introduced deer?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6342431 06/21/16 03:31 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
Texas Parks & Wildlife tightens rules on deer breeders

By Tim Eaton - American-Statesman Staff
3

Posted: 1:36 p.m. Monday, June 20, 2016
Commission vote came after months of talks.

Deer breeders walk out of Texas Parks & Wildlife Commission hearing
Anti-breeding forces want to see strict regulations to protect wild deer from chronic wasting disease.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission adopted new rules Monday to combat a disease found in deer, but the new rules could put a strain on many of the state’s 1,300 deer breeding businesses.

The commission’s vote came after months of discussions with interested groups, including breeders, ranch owners who sell hunting leases, environmental groups and livestock organizations.

The purpose for new regulations is to address how the state is going to deal with chronic wasting disease. The neurological condition — which affects deer, elk and maybe moose, but not humans — can cause weight loss, behavioral changes, brain lesions, excessive salivation, pneumonia, difficulty swallowing and head tremors.

It was discovered last year at a breeding facility in Medina County, near San Antonio.

With the commission’s unanimous vote on Monday, deer breeders will have to comply with increased regulation. There will be limited movement of breeder deer across the state, increased postmortem testing for chronic wasting disease and more live testing for the disease, too.
more:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/business/deer-breeders-walk-out-of-texas-parks-wildlife-com/nrjsq/

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6342433 06/21/16 03:33 AM
jeh7mmmag Offline OP
gramps
OP Offline
gramps
TPW Commission Adopts Amended Deer Movement Rules

AUSTIN – After extensive public testimony, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Monday approved an amended set of regulations for artificial movement of deer by permit as part of the state’s chronic wasting disease (CWD) management plan.

Adopted provisions are the result of extensive collaboration between the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD), Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC), the deer breeding community and landowners to address concerns over the future of permitted unnatural deer movement qualifications following the discovery of CWD in 2015, while providing continued protection against the fatal neurological disease for Texas’ 4 million free-ranging and captive deer.

“This is bigger than the interests of one group and it’s not about choosing winners or losers,” said Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Chairman T. Dan Friedkin. “The fundamental issue is how best to protect our state’s deer herds from a deadly disease. The overwhelming amount of interest this issue has generated illustrates just how passionate Texans are about deer and our deer hunting heritage. The actions taken by the commission today are the result of extensive deliberation with input from all stakeholders, and I applaud the many individuals and groups from all over the state who took the time and effort to remain engaged in the process until the end.”

Among the provisions adopted by the commission include a suite of options to attain artificial deer movement qualified status through a multilevel system of ante-mortem (“live”) and post-mortem deer testing for CWD. Key changes to the rules include:

Read more: The Gilmer Mirror - TPW Commission Adopts Amended Deer Movement Rules

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6342519 06/21/16 11:13 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
“The fundamental issue is how best to protect our state’s deer herds from a deadly disease."

You simply can't make stuff like that up. It was In our wild deer herd before it was found in a pen, and no action taken by any agency ever, has "protected" a herd from CWD.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6342540 06/21/16 11:46 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
It appears to me that the TWPD is reacting more to regulate breeders due to pressure from anti-breeder groups than they are responding to the actual CWD situation.

But that's none of my business.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: John Humbert] #6342636 06/21/16 01:26 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
It appears to me that the TWPD is reacting more to regulate breeders due to pressure from anti-breeder groups than they are responding to the actual CWD situation.

It's every citizens business when govt agencies practice Gestapo tactics.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: therancher] #6342637 06/21/16 01:26 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: BowsnRods

Yeah I'd like to see him defend his statement but I'm thinking he knows he got caught talking straight outta his nether regions.

Keep up the jaw jacking boys. TDA lost out on this one just like I said they would.

They will spend a fortune in the courts now.

Breeders should be happy with the live testing rule right???

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: therancher] #6342639 06/21/16 01:27 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Not much more gestapo than the way TDA responded to this. Get real.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6342657 06/21/16 01:38 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
TDA is very much like the gestapo. They tell private landowners what they must do right? No wait, that was the government yesterday.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jmh004] #6342665 06/21/16 01:43 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
TDA is very much like the gestapo. They tell private landowners what they must do right? No wait, that was the government yesterday.

Nah they just threaten people with job loss if they don't do what they say.

I'm done talking about it. TDA is starting to understand they don't wear the pants in a relationship they openly and willingly signed up for with the government.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: txbobcat] #6342719 06/21/16 02:29 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: txbobcat

Not much more gestapo than the way TDA responded to this. Get real.

How is saving your livelihood being like the gestapo? There is no focus by TPWD on the west Texas herd or panhandle? But yet the want to implement millions of dollars worth of testing on a business segment. (, that still has had less positive tests in TX then the free range herds)

Number one issue with TPWD is they think this a breeder disease. They need to set down and turn the rains back over to TAHC. TPWD should be focused on building a wall in west Texas and the panhandle, also should be shutting down all imported hay and grain from other states.........

Thier goal they say is to protect our herds but are failing to do any thing on the first CWD cases in Texas via free range deer

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6342753 06/21/16 02:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Repeatedly bringing up the few instances of CWD in wild deer like it somehow relates to the issue of disease transmission by breeder deer completely misses the point. A west TX mule deer or free range whitetail is not going to put itself in a trailer and relocate halfway across the state. THAT'S the risk being addressed.

And disease control in both confined and wild animals has been the purview of both wildlife and agricultural agencies for over 100 years. So all the "private property rights" whining is just that - whining. Private property "rights" stop the moment exercising those "rights" puts other property owners at risk.

Neither of these are hard or new concepts. So it's pretty obvious to me that those who argue them are really the ones with the "agendas".

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6342797 06/21/16 03:29 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I'm just confused why the state isn't upping their testing of wild deer. If we are really trying to figure out/control CWD, why isn't the state setting up road blocks or check stations at processors to take samples from deer that are brought in? Why is it that breeders are the only ones having to drastically up their totals? To me it just seems that the state is picking on the breeders. Thousands upon thousands of deer are killed each year, most of those wind up at a processor. Think of all the samples that could be taken. Of course, CWD would then be detected in the wild herd and it would be pretty interesting to see how the state would explain that one.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6342804 06/21/16 03:37 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Repeatedly bringing up the few instances of CWD in wild deer like it somehow relates to the issue of disease transmission by breeder deer completely misses the point. A west TX mule deer or free range whitetail is not going to put itself in a trailer and relocate halfway across the state. THAT'S the risk being addressed.

And disease control in both confined and wild animals has been the purview of both wildlife and agricultural agencies for over 100 years. So all the "private property rights" whining is just that - whining. Private property "rights" stop the moment exercising those "rights" puts other property owners at risk.

Neither of these are hard or new concepts. So it's pretty obvious to me that those who argue them are really the ones with the "agendas".

How is more CWD cases in wild deer a one off? How is its CO who is at the forefront of CWD has only a monitoring program? Why is CWD is fastly creeping into the panhandle via KS and nothing is being done via TPWD?

Fact of the matter was the Medina CWD deer where not imported. They where born here. That means a lot of things about CWD. Same thing in the Arkansas herd that tested positive... It wasn't a breeder issue. The southeast NM hotspot that has invaded our west Texas herd was not a breeder issue. The CWD creep in the panhandle is come from a wild KS herd...again not a breeder issue.

This (breeders)falls under TAHC not TPWD. TPWD should be focused on CWD creep with in our boards and its out skirts.

Fact you continually ignore facts as always puts the burden of justifying your lack of knowledge and hate for breeders back on you. Projecting at me shows again your agenda and complete lack of knowledge on the subject. In other words trolls troll

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jmh004] #6342813 06/21/16 03:43 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I'm just confused why the state isn't upping their testing of wild deer. If we are really trying to figure out/control CWD, why isn't the state setting up road blocks or check stations at processors to take samples from deer that are brought in? Why is it that breeders are the only ones having to drastically up their totals? To me it just seems that the state is picking on the breeders. Thousands upon thousands of deer are killed each year, most of those wind up at a processor. Think of all the samples that could be taken. Of course, CWD would then be detected in the wild herd and it would be pretty interesting to see how the state would explain that one.

CO figured it out 20 years ago. It really shows a very pointed agenda against a segment.

Still wondering why Texas Animal Health Commission isn't running soley with breeders like they have for ever

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag] #6343013 06/21/16 07:12 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/executive_orders/eo_15-006_rule_ttt.pdf

"The department has been concerned for over a decade about the possible
emergence of CWD in free-ranging and captive deer populations in Texas. Since 2002,
more than 32,882 “not detected” CWD test results were obtained from free-ranging (i.e.,
not breeder) deer in Texas. Additionally, deer breeders have submitted 12,759 “not
detected” test results to the department."

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20160620a

“This is bigger than the interests of one group and it’s not about choosing winners or losers,” said Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Chairman T. Dan Friedkin.

Want to guess which "one group" The Chairman is referring to?

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jmh004] #6343016 06/21/16 07:21 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
why isn't the state setting up check stations Why is it that breeders are the only ones having to drastically up their totals? To me it just seems that the state is picking on the breeders.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/

There are check stations already set up. Yes, TPWD has singled out deer breeders and those who would buy from them in these new regulations. If this disease is so contagious, how come we have seen so many "NOT DETECTED" test results? How come the four country area of Wisconsin where all deer were killed because of CWD has a higher population of deer now than it did previously. And how come all those deer are not infected with CWD?

Higher ups at TPWD do not like the deer breeders. This is their way of telling the breeders to shove it. And I am not a member nor a proponent of the TDA. But I call them as I see them and anyone who thinks this legislation isn't an attempt to put all but TC1 breeders out of business is ignoring the obvious.

Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jmh004] #6343023 06/21/16 07:31 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There was also a real interesting one about a deer being released from a pen to a high fence ranch. Any gate on that ranch can never be opened again for fear of that said deer "escaping" and infecting the wild population. I'd like to know how they're going to enforce that last one.

Not true. All deer liberated to a "Release Site" must remain within said release site. They may not be TTTd to another ranch or moved into DMP pens that are not part of the release site. They may be moved to other pastures within the release site area provided the properties are contiguous and owned by the same person(s).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide