Forum Stats
60480 Members
45 Forums
476219 Topics
6247015 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6337912 - 06/16/16 07:21 PM Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps

Loc: Colleyville, DFW, TX
Quote:
By Joseph Fitzsimons
Special to the Star-Telegram


The June 2015 discovery of Chronic Wasting Disease in a Medina County captive deer breeding facility represents arguably the most serious threat our Texas white-tailed deer populations have experienced since they were on the brink of extinction in the early 20th century.

It is ironic that captive deer breeding may well be the cure that destroys the populations it was originally meant to help rescue.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, recognizing the severity and potential impact of this disease, responded swiftly and responsibly to halt the movement of breeder deer immediately upon CWD detection, until sufficient testing had been done on the population and a prudent plan was put in place for dealing with the disease.

Similarly, TPWD recognized the broad effect of its decisions, so the department held a series of professionally mediated stakeholder forums in an attempt to build consensus around the state’s response to the disease.

These forums included all major stakeholders, including all major deer breeding trade associations.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn...l#storylink=cpy

I commend the TPWD staff and commission for their efforts, and I encourage all Texans who value our wildlife resources, hunting and rural economies to express support to the TPWD commission before Monday, June 20.

The ability of future generations to enjoy wildlife in its native habitat depends on all concerned Texans making their voices heard. Please support our Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in its efforts to protect our natural resources.

Joseph Fitzsimons is a rancher, lawyer and conservationist who is a director of the Texas Wildlife Association and former chairman of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/opinion/opn...l#storylink=cpy

Make your comments and beliefs known on the TPWD comment site.

#6337960 - 06/16/16 07:41 PM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Why didn't he say anything thing about the west Texas herd or panhandle?

#6338267 - 06/17/16 06:38 AM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag]
Pitchfork Predator Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Murphy, TX Dickens county
This article is very slanted towards the authors former employer, TPWD. Singing their praises of how they relied on the most up to date science to make their decisions and trying to give the impression to the general pubic that this disease started with deer breeding never mentioned it was first discovered in Texas in wild low fence deer populations. Therefore it lacks credibility with me and I give TPWD a grade of F for the way they have dealt with this. And I am not a deer breeder and have no vested interest in deer breeding.

All they accomplished is they killed hundreds of deer, none of which tested positive for the disease. They used junk science, not the most updated methods available being live testing. So I am going to raise the BS flag now.

bs

Edited by Pitchfork Predator (06/17/16 06:40 AM)

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920

#6338447 - 06/17/16 09:51 AM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag]
BowsnRods Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bandera County
I agree with Pitchfork Predator, I will not support someone's cure for the unknown by the eradication of hundreds of deer that were perfectly healthy until TPWD demonstrated how they go about protecting our natural resources.

#6338513 - 06/17/16 10:34 AM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag]
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: TX
TPWD best wildlife agency in the nation. They will figure it out and get it right for all sportsman and stakeholders involved.

#6338527 - 06/17/16 10:45 AM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: txbobcat]
decoy

Originally Posted By: txbobcat
TPWD best wildlife agency in the nation. They will figure it out and get it right for all sportsman and stakeholders involved.

As a whole I would agree, jury is still out on top level. They sure seem to have an agenda. Lots of very pointed statements.

Why is CO ground zero not stressing over CWD?

#6338558 - 06/17/16 11:02 AM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

As a whole I would agree, jury is still out on top level. They sure seem to have an agenda. Lots of very pointed statements.

CO did and still does to a degree, they have dealt with it longer so.... They do have units that have the advisory, some require head check in. The unit I hunt is voluntary, but recommended, for what that is worth.

Not quite the breeding program there as well..You know all this BOBO whip

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6338588 - 06/17/16 11:31 AM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag]
Hoytman Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: hopkins co
All dealings i have had over the years with tpwd have not been good and especially with all the antler restriction questions so not fond of tpwd.

#6338966 - 06/17/16 05:12 PM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: txbobcat]
therancher Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...

Wow. Really?

CWD has had a sustained significant impact where?

It literally borders on insanity to believe that a pathogen that takes longer than the average deer's lifespan to kill it, could ever significantly impact a population.

We've known about it since '67 and there's never been a decimated wild population (except of course when Wisconsin slaughtered their deer).

So it's been proven over and over again in every state and region where it exists that it's an insignificant naturally limited pathogen. But somehow TPWD is going to "fix" it??? Sweet geezus quit it.
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#6339011 - 06/17/16 05:55 PM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: jeh7mmmag]
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover

Loc: Hickory Creek, Fannin Co. Texa...
TPWD's own audits and scientific reviews show they have little or no regards for real science.

Now, their law enforcement and parks divisions are awesome, and the best in the nation, I agree.

When you include management and scientists, (central scientist), the are lacking, to put it mildly.

You have a friend in the gun business!

www.Rguns.com
Vernon Richardson
Richardson's Gun Shop
Hickory Creek Hunting Company
3701 FM 816
Wolfe City, TX 75496
903-496-7747
Email vernon at rguns dot com

#6339047 - 06/17/16 06:23 PM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: Western]
decoy

Originally Posted By: Western

CO did and still does to a degree, they have dealt with it longer so.... They do have units that have the advisory, some require head check in. The unit I hunt is voluntary, but recommended, for what that is worth.

Actually a lot there. Fact of the matter is CO response to CWD is soley monitoring

#6339180 - 06/17/16 08:12 PM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: Western

Actually a lot there. Fact of the matter is CO response to CWD is soley monitoring

Yep

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6339298 - 06/17/16 09:55 PM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: therancher]
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: therancher

Wow. Really?

It literally borders on insanity to believe that a pathogen that takes longer than the average deer's lifespan to kill it, could ever significantly impact a population.

We've known about it since '67 and there's never been a decimated wild population (except of course when Wisconsin slaughtered their deer).

So it's been proven over and over again in every state and region where it exists that it's an insignificant naturally limited pathogen. But somehow TPWD is going to "fix" it??? Sweet geezus quit it.

Did I say anything about fixing anything?

#6339301 - 06/17/16 09:57 PM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: txbobcat]
JJH Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Katy

Wow. Really?

If they "figure it out and get it right for all sportsman and stakeholders involved" won't they have "fixed" it?

#6339415 - 06/18/16 01:40 AM Re: Help fight this fatal disease threat to Texas wild deer herd [Re: JJH]
therancher Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
Originally Posted By: JJH

Wow. Really?

If they "figure it out and get it right for all sportsman and stakeholders involved" won't they have "fixed" it?

Actually, "they'll figure it out and get it right for all stakeholders" is an even more preposterous statement than "they'll fix it".

I don't even think any of the folks at tpwd believe what they HAVE done and are about to do is "figuring it out and getting it right for all stakeholders".
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide