Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD #6328915 06/09/16 02:38 PM
fouzman Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Note this sentence...“How Texas responds to the prevalence of CWD in its captive deer herd will have significant effects on the way state wildlife agencies and animal health organizations mitigate epidemiological issues like this from here on out,”

"Prevalence" in epidemiology suggests something is common. CWD was found in five captive deer. That's incidental, not prevalent. And there were no "detected" results in over 3,000 tests conducted on hunter harvested free-range whitetails during the 2015-16 season. Nor were there any other positive results on the thousands of captive deer slaughtered and tested under this emergency CWD interim order.

The incorrect use of the word "prevalent" tells me all I need to know about the future of deer management in Texas. Deer breeders are in for a shock. I imagine those who TTT and use DMPs are too.

Fouz

News Release
Media Contact: TPWD News, news@tpwd.texas.gov, 512-389-8030
May 27, 2016

Decision Postponed on Chronic Wasting Disease Management Regulations

AUSTIN – On Thursday, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission postponed their decision regarding proposed changes to state regulations for managing chronic wasting disease (CWD), until a more thorough review is conducted. CWD is a fatal neurodegenerative disorder that affects cervid species like white-tailed deer, mule deer and elk.

“How Texas responds to the prevalence of CWD in its captive deer herd will have significant effects on the way state wildlife agencies and animal health organizations mitigate epidemiological issues like this from here on out,” said TPW Commission Chairman T. Dan Friedkin. “The commission believes it is important to take some additional time to review the proposed rules, which are the product of months of study and consideration by the department, the Texas Animal Health Commission and a subject matter experts from the medical and deer breeding community.”

Following an extensive public hearing where commission members heard comments from a wide range of stakeholders, landowners and licensed deer breeders, Chairman Friedkin recommended tabling a formal decision on the proposed changes until June, when a special meeting can be held to vote on the changes. Time and location of the special meeting will be announced at a later date.

“We would like to take the opportunity to follow up with stakeholders about some of the concerns that have been voiced,” said Chairman Friedkin. “These are challenging issues that affect all rural landowners, wildlife enthusiasts, deer hunters and deer breeders. It is my plan that we will consider rules next month that blend reliable risk management with simplicity and predictability.”

In April, TPWD staff published proposed rules that would implement the department’s comprehensive CWD management plan with respect to the artificial movement of deer under several TPWD permits, including deer breeder permits, Triple T (trap, transfer and transplant) permits, DMP (deer management permit) and TTP (trap, transport and process) permits.

Additional information about the proposed rule changes and the department’s response to chronic wasting disease can be found on the department’s CWD web page.

2016-05-27

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6328965 06/09/16 03:22 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
It is hard to put into words how angry I have become with TPWD in recent years. I am absolutely sick of their heavy-handed tactics. Make no mistake, there is an agenda behind all this, and it is NOT in the best interest of the deer breeding industry.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6328979 06/09/16 03:39 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Postpones...as in waits to make a decision out of the public eye?

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6328986 06/09/16 03:43 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Burn them all down as far as I'm concerned.

Too many rich hands in too many politicians pockets to make a wise decision.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329042 06/09/16 04:24 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I've been saying the TDA didn't want to keep this stirred up...they have done exactly that and aren't going to like the outcome.

TDA is going to get some of what they have been trying to serve up. Going to suck for the few breeders that haven't been overdosed in the TDA koolaid and live in a realistic world.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: txbobcat] #6329059 06/09/16 04:48 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
I've been saying the TDA didn't want to keep this stirred up...they have done exactly that and aren't going to like the outcome.

TDA is going to get some of what they have been trying to serve up. Going to suck for the few breeders that haven't been overdosed in the TDA koolaid and live in a realistic world.

You, sir, are completely clueless about this entire situation if you think any of TPWD's actions are warranted.

This "war on CWD" that TPWD has fabricated is simply a witch hunt.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329204 06/09/16 06:36 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I'm no land salesman but I have been closely involved with a lot of what is going on here for over a decade. You should probably make assumptions about people you may actually know before you end up with your foot in your mouth.

I would say the most clueless so far on the whole situation have been those blindly following TDA and Keith Warren.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: txbobcat] #6329250 06/09/16 07:14 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'm no land salesman but I have been closely involved with a lot of what is going on here for over a decade. You should probably make assumptions about people you may actually know before you end up with your foot in your mouth.

I would say the most clueless so far on the whole situation have been those blindly following TDA and Keith Warren.

As a scientist with over 30 years of research experience I can tell you that there is very little valid science driving the response from tpwd.

Whatever their agenda is, it isn't applying anything resembling science.

Pretty solid proof in the statement that they're gonna let public response determine their protocol.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329273 06/09/16 07:36 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I've been saying all along that the public was going to make a lot of the decision on this. TDA thought they were bigger than the public and took that route. It is going to hurt them in the long run regardless of what the scientific outcomes are of the whole deal. Instead of stepping up to the plate as a partner with the public to find the best solution they tried to play billy bad a$$ and are going to lose that battle.

Going forward I hope it's a wake up call for all Texas sportsman and sportsman advocate groups.

When you are playing a game with the government making the rules it's not always your best play to pee on the referee.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: therancher] #6329279 06/09/16 07:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher

As a scientist with over 30 years of research experience I can tell you that there is very little valid science driving the response from tpwd.

Pretty solid proof in the statement that they're gonna let public response determine their protocol.

You can see that opinion on this forum.... Anti's and haters have done a great job confusing facts with fiction....

Most of the general public don't know CWD got here via free range animals, most are oblivious to the west Texas herd and soon to be panhandle herd. Nor do most know CWD was first observed in wild deer.

What do you do.... In the end more division and loss of rights. HSUS is smiling. There are those amoung us that would lay down thier rights for misplaced ideologies

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329284 06/09/16 07:42 PM
fouzman Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
So what you're saying txbobcat, is the state is going to get even with the TDA, rather than a formulate a sound plan and regulations based on science? That action won't benefit anyone.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6329286 06/09/16 07:45 PM
fouzman Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker

You can see that opinion on this forum.... Anti's and haters have done a great job confusing facts with fiction....

Most don't know CWD got here via free range animals, most are oblivious to the west Texas herd and soon to be panhandle herd. Nor do most know CWD was first observed in wild deer.

txbobcat, I've been involved in this for more than 10 years. I'm fully aware of all the CWD cases you cite above. I'm also familiar with what Wisconsin did in the four county area where CWD was discovered in wild deer. How did the eradication of every whitetail in those counties work out for Wisconsin?

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329287 06/09/16 07:46 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: fouzman
So what you're saying txbobcat, is the state is going to get even with the TDA, rather than a formulate a sound plan and regulations based on science? That action won't benefit anyone.

Get even isn't what I would say. I would say they would have been a lot more pro TDA group if their response initially would have been positive. They lost a lot of public support and are going to lose more they stay in the spotlight. Outside of hunting deer farming, put and take ops, etc are going to have a bad public perception regardless of realities. TPWD answers to the public of Texas not aexclusively the TDA group or any other member group. TDA WAY outgrew their britches on this one and are going to feel some pain coming I'm sure.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329289 06/09/16 07:47 PM
fouzman Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Thx for your reply, txbobcat.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329290 06/09/16 07:47 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
For the record I fall somewhere in the middle between TPWD and the breeders and my main criticism for TDA has been the response and attitude of the response.

TDAs response hasn't helped anyone in Texas hunting in general.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6329292 06/09/16 07:48 PM
5Redman8 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
What do you do.... In the end more division and loss of rights. HSUS is smiling. There are those amoung us that would lay down thier rights for misplaced ideologies

There are also those among us with no ethical backbone that want to include pen shooting deer under the hunting umbrella.....causing there to be more division. Just because an event takes place with a gun....doesn't mean others have to bend their ethical standards to be supportive.

AVOID.....Luna Canyon Outdoor Adventures Chacon NM Elk Hunting. Owner James Duran

https://www.huntnorthnm.com/

PM for details
Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: txbobcat] #6329293 06/09/16 07:48 PM
fouzman Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
For the record I fall somewhere in the middle between TPWD and the breeders and my main criticism for TDA has been the response and attitude of the response.

I can't argue with you on that, and would say we fall into the same category. I am not a member of TDA.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: 5Redman8] #6329428 06/09/16 09:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: 5Redman8

There are also those among us with no ethical backbone that want to include pen shooting deer under the hunting umbrella.....causing there to be more division. Just because an event takes place with a gun....doesn't mean others have to bend their ethical standards to be supportive.

Then there is people among us that keep trying to define ethical and fairchase with a rifle with a 300 zero in thier hand. Those people also think they should decide things like dogs and bears are neither ethical or fairchase, all while seasons get closed and apex predator numbers explode causing massive amounts of tag losses. O'wait that's already happening. Wait until Texas ends up with a federal predator plan governed by the endangered species act. It's happening to our neighbors as we speak.

Your ideology is what hurts us. There will come a time in America where the only hunting will be on HF 'd estates, because it will be the only place that can handle sustainable harvest by humans.

I can't tell the difference in HF deer steaks and LF deer steaks.

Tell a guy that is restricted to ML or Shot gun that your rifle is more fairchase and ethical... Lol

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329433 06/09/16 09:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Meanwhile Like I said lets project CWD as a HF disease... Let's ignore facts for an agenda Lol

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329447 06/09/16 09:40 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
What's the agenda? I see it brought up a lot but haven't seen it explained in any detail.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: fouzman] #6329457 06/09/16 09:45 PM
B
BowsnRods Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
txbobcat I acknowledge that everyone that purchases a hunting license should have a voice to the restrictions that TPWD could place on the general public which includes everyone. What would you say If no one stood up to TPWD and TPWD decided until they(TPWD) could locate and destroy all Deer that they believe to be a carrier of CWD all hunting of whitetail deer in the state of Texas would stop until further notice, WHO HAS TOO MUCH POWER! again I am just a little guy but truly think about what has already happened with hundreds of whitetail deer being destroyed with no positive result for CWD. I Applaud what TDA stands for and their ability as a whole(All Members)taking a stand against the cruel measures that made no positive impact by TPWD. Who has the best interest in mind for the Whitetail Deer Population in the State Of Texas! TPWD-Kill them all and we will figure something out at a later time. TDA-find a way to conduct live testing of the whitetail deer in question in regards to CWD and maintain close observation of said deer until results are determined.

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: txbobcat] #6329483 06/09/16 09:57 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
What's the agenda? I see it brought up a lot but haven't seen it explained in any detail.

What is your agenda aside from bashing TDA whenever you get the chance? How is that helpful to this problem?

And for the record I'm not a member of TDA. It's just whenever these threads come up you constantly bash them. Why?

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 06/09/16 10:02 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: 5Redman8] #6329490 06/09/16 09:59 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: 5Redman8

So let me understand you clearly. Your saying that if I don't support your ethical standards I have no backbone?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6329496 06/09/16 10:05 PM
J
jeffbird Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J

Most of the general public don't know CWD got here via free range animals, most are oblivious to the west Texas herd and soon to be panhandle herd. Nor do most know CWD was first observed in wild deer.

So how did it show up inside of a breeder's pen in white-tailed deer in Medina County, which is 100's of miles from the West Texas mule deer cases?

Re: TPWD Postpones Decision on CWD [Re: jeffbird] #6329505 06/09/16 10:11 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted By: jeffbird

So how did it show up inside of a breeder's pen in white-tailed deer in Medina County, which is 100's of miles from the West Texas mule deer cases?

No one knows the answer to that question. There is no scientific evidence that proves how CWD is transmitted. However, it seems that everyone and their brother who are against high fences is all of a sudden an expert, and they want people to believe it was cause/spread/whatever by deer breeders.

NOBODY KNOWS HOW TO CONTAIN OR PREVENT CWD!

TPWD would prefer to "legislate and ask questions later" rather than use scientific methods to try and collect real data to back up their decisions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide