475681 Topics
6240031 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6328046 - 06/08/16 03:35 PM Draw System
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker

When do you think they will start the new draw system for this year?
I missed out on the alligator draw last year because I didn't realize that it had already started.

Thanks,
CM

#6328990 - 06/09/16 10:44 AM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Eastwood Offline
Outdoorsman

I think July 1st is when the hunts get listed.

#6355516 - 07/02/16 09:58 AM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
twice70 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: East Tx
They're listed now. I've already applied for a few.

#6355573 - 07/02/16 10:56 AM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
javman Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: McAllen, TX deep South Tex

Not available according to website.

#6355589 - 07/02/16 11:02 AM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
If you go to Check Status and type in your info, you can apply from there. They just haven't released the booklet yet.

I'm curious to see last year's statistics. I would like to see if the new system has helped or hurt drawing odds. I suspect the latter.

#6355602 - 07/02/16 11:22 AM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
javman Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: McAllen, TX deep South Tex
I'm curious to see last year's statistics. I would like to see if the new system has helped or hurt drawing odds. I suspect the latter.

Ditto on this. They just had a big eradication hog hunt last year down where I'm at right before the season started and just last week they had a nilgai eradication hunt also. Of course they said they are trying to control the fever tick.

#6356489 - 07/03/16 09:05 AM Re: Draw System [Re: Palehorse]
sqiggy Online   content

Loc: Franklin, Tx Hunt in Panola ...
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

I have heard that won't be posted this year. Guess we will find out shortly.

#6356708 - 07/03/16 12:21 PM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
WileyCoyote Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Dogwood Capital of Texas
Just looked at the TPW Draw site...look different than last year for sure, with no history tab to see previous years stats.

Some of the Hunt Categories are accepting Entries, but not all of them. Looks like TPW is populating the categories right now though.

Really need to find one of my old Pre Digital catalogs to see where everything is from down here, and take some time to go thru the research to see what all makes sense to apply for, from here in Palestine, as opposed to the Hunt Sites I'd applied for in the past from Lake Texoma with regards to time & distance wise.

Anybody Hunt Ft Boggy recently? Haven't hunted a NFS location in way too long, except for the Fannin County property about 10-12 years ago & wound up down near Wolffe City instead of up north of Honey Grove to escape the traffic. anybody got any insight on the NFS stuff close to me & willing to share info? I understand that knowledge is hard to come by, kinda like catfish honey holes.

Gus Engling & Keechi Creek are 30 minutes or less away from the house, but all the stuff south & west of Ft Worth I always applied for in the past is not nearly as handy now days.
Ron

TooTaToo...We have MET the Enemy...and He is US !!... Pogo

Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it...George Santayana

#6356862 - 07/03/16 03:09 PM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Sniper John Online   happy

gumshoe

Loc: North Texas
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Just looked at the TPW Draw site...look different than last year for sure, with no history tab to see previous years stats.

In case they don't put it up this season's draw. Download or print before it goes away.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/h...ary_2014_15.pdf

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/statistics.phtml

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/hunt-categories.phtml

"Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. Oh! The places you'll go!" ~ Dr. Seuss

#6356883 - 07/03/16 03:29 PM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Extreme Tracker

Thx Sniper, gonna study this to see if I can make some sense out of where to put in for.
Ron

#6356939 - 07/03/16 04:08 PM Re: Draw System [Re: Palehorse]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
If you go to Check Status and type in your info, you can apply from there. They just haven't released the booklet yet.

Thanks for posting. I donated to applied for seven of them. Gotta keep building up my Bighorn points. I'm winning that sucker some day. (This is the closest I get to playing the lottery.)

#6357517 - 07/04/16 08:37 AM Re: Draw System [Re: WileyCoyote]
sqiggy Online   content

Loc: Franklin, Tx Hunt in Panola ...

Anybody Hunt Ft Boggy recently?
About 4 years ago. That was my 4th trip out there. Went 3 yrs in a row as a stand-by since it's only 45 min from my house. All archery. Since they changed it to compartment, they cut the permits in half, making it harder to go as a stand-by.
But, I had good hunts on every one of them. Have slung an arrow just about every trip out there and always see a bunch of deer. Always one reason or another I haven't connected. Should've killed 3 or 4 bucks and a couple of does.

#6357595 - 07/04/16 10:02 AM Re: Draw System [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Extreme Tracker

Looking at the TPW Draw Hunt History I assume from last year that Sniper was kind enough to post a link to...Fort Boggy only had 4 deer taken last year during the one rifle hunt they had, & I've fergotten the %'s that represents but looks like it's one of those "not worth the drive" terriblely low showings....just close enough to the house to think about.
Ron

#6357870 - 07/04/16 03:10 PM Re: Draw System [Re: WileyCoyote]
Palehorse Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Surfside Beach, TX
Looking at the TPW Draw Hunt History I assume from last year that Sniper was kind enough to post a link to...Fort Boggy only had 4 deer taken last year during the one rifle hunt they had, & I've fergotten the %'s that represents but looks like it's one of those "not worth the drive" terriblely low showings....just close enough to the house to think about.
Ron

I sometimes take the low success odds with a grain of salt, particularly if it is a compartment style hunt. A couple of my best hunts, including Fort Boggy, had low success rates. Fact is, a lot of folks don't know how to hunt if they aren't sitting in a box blind staring at a corn feeder. If you are willing to take on a hunt that is more of a challenge, there are some real gems that a lot of folks have a hard time taking any game at all.

#6357891 - 07/04/16 03:36 PM Re: Draw System [Re: WileyCoyote]
bossbowman Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hill county

Gus Engling & Keechi Creek are 30 minutes or less away from the house, but all the stuff south & west of Ft Worth I always applied for in the past is not nearly as handy now days.
Ron

Looks like they have massively reduced the # of hunts/permits at Gus this year, wonder if its because of flood damage or the decline in deer population there? No hunts at Richland Creek for the second year in a row, excuse is probably flood damage but I sure hope that WMA gets back in the draw hunts next year, even better just make it type II land again...

Edited by bossbowman (07/04/16 03:37 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide