475697 Topics
6240178 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6327782 - 06/08/16 12:06 PM Snake Questions
GA DOG 2 Offline

Loc: ga gordon, n of atlanta
I hunt several places between Stonewall county and Collingsworth county. I don't usually come to texas to quail hunt before December, the guys I hunt with say most of the snakes have gone to ground by that time, but I KNOW there are exceptions, so I'm considering the vaccination because I don't have snake avoidance training available in Georgia. What does it cost and does it work? Also I'm curious how many Texans in this area encounter snakes after December 10? I'm also coming on a hog/dove hunt in the same area in mid Oct. and I WILL be wearing snake boots!! Your advise and feed back appreciated!!!

THANKS,
Ga Dog

#6327838 - 06/08/16 01:08 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: GA DOG 2]
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
There is always a risk, but I've hunted wild bobwhite quail in over 80 counties for 50 years and see 5 snakes. I've never done snake breaking and my dogs backed away from two of the snakes. They were never in danger of the other three.

#6327864 - 06/08/16 01:26 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: GA DOG 2]
MS1454 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
It can get warm in December and January so yeah risk is there. I have my dog vaccinated but never snake proofed.They always avoid them and know they are dangerous. I have never seen a snake while hunting or have my dog bite. I think the vaccine is like 30 bucks?

#6327885 - 06/08/16 01:36 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: GA DOG 2]
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Temple, tx
Snake boots -------- I call it part of the mardi-gras costume. The guys I hunt with in S Tx. have bought every accessory that Bass Pro Shop and Cabella's sell associated with quail hunting. Buying stuff is part of the fun for them. Run a topic on here and see if anyone has ever had a snake bite their snake boots,,, I have never heard of it happening.
Snake avoidance works---- period ------ BUT not if the dog does not smell the snake, aka, he just runs over him and gets bitten.

#6327987 - 06/08/16 02:55 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: GA DOG 2]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
My vet charges $29 for the vaccine. Two injections three weeks apart. And all it does is buy you time getting to a vet.
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#6328830 - 06/09/16 08:41 AM Re: Snake Questions [Re: passthru]
wal1809 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: passthru
My vet charges $29 for the vaccine. Two injections three weeks apart. And all it does is buy you time getting to a vet.

30 days apart

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service

UTHFDHGTG Port O'Conner, Texas Dec. 9 Hunt 10,11
lodging 361 983 4371

#6328833 - 06/09/16 08:44 AM Re: Snake Questions [Re: GA DOG 2]
68rustbucket Offline
Tracker

Loc: San Marcos, TX
My vet does the first round 30 days apart,then a booster every 6 months for $25. Maybe I'm just boosting their sales confused2

Edited by 68rustbucket (06/09/16 08:45 AM)

#6328886 - 06/09/16 09:16 AM Re: Snake Questions [Re: passthru]
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker

Passthru which vet do you use for the vac???

#6330821 - 06/10/16 08:30 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: GA DOG 2]
Nitronx898 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Crosby Tx
I did snake training. And there is always that possibility of snakes. When I was a kid my dad had a Brittany that was bit by a huge rattler in south Texas. Poor dog didn't last 30 minutes after that.

#6331237 - 06/11/16 11:20 AM Re: Snake Questions [Re: GA DOG 2]
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Temple, tx
This was posted in Open Hunting Discussion,,,,,,, it pertains to the topic here ----------------------------------------

After my drama of my position and credentials, I'd like to mention I will do my best to help with photos as often and as quickly as possible. I'm taking a chance by showing my info here, so I hope it is not abused while trying to do the right thing for others. A photo should ALWAYS be taken of a snake species before ANYTHING else. A simple photo before messing with a snake speeds treatment times in the event of an envenomation, and gives us the easiest way to identify.

What we know after years of hospital work, is that accidental bites are extremely rare. 99% of bites come from harassment of a species. LEAVE THEM ALONE. A recent envenomations cost the patient $153,000, so unless you have a spare house laying around, avoiding an interaction is crucial. Gunshots to feet and ricochets are EXTREMELY common. The fastest snake travels at about 3 mph, an average human can run close to 6mph. I've caught thousands of snakes at this point and I've never been "chased" by one. You CAN get away.
I'm not here to fight or argue or debate your feelings towards snakes. I'm here to help and give my advice. venomous species are the largest of concern and usually get the "good snake, dead snake" approach, but species such as copperheads are being used in the fight against breast cancer, so I'd much rather get those species to places of use than to lose another pair of breasts from the world. Rattlesnake venom (from live animals) is used to produce the first medication you receive during a heart attack.

#6332607 - 06/12/16 05:40 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: wal1809]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: wal1809

30 days apart

Nope. 3 weeks. Next one is on. The 29th. Then again the girl at the desk scheduled it. I will call in the morning to make sure something isn't askew.

#6332661 - 06/12/16 06:23 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: dune2218]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: dune2218
This was posted in Open Hunting Discussion,,,,,,, it pertains to the topic here ----------------------------------------

After my drama of my position and credentials, I'd like to mention I will do my best to help with photos as often and as quickly as possible. I'm taking a chance by showing my info here, so I hope it is not abused while trying to do the right thing for others. A photo should ALWAYS be taken of a snake species before ANYTHING else. A simple photo before messing with a snake speeds treatment times in the event of an envenomation, and gives us the easiest way to identify.

What we know after years of hospital work, is that accidental bites are extremely rare. 99% of bites come from harassment of a species. LEAVE THEM ALONE. A recent envenomations cost the patient $153,000, so unless you have a spare house laying around, avoiding an interaction is crucial. Gunshots to feet and ricochets are EXTREMELY common. The fastest snake travels at about 3 mph, an average human can run close to 6mph. I've caught thousands of snakes at this point and I've never been "chased" by one. You CAN get away.
I'm not here to fight or argue or debate your feelings towards snakes. I'm here to help and give my advice. venomous species are the largest of concern and usually get the "good snake, dead snake" approach, but species such as copperheads are being used in the fight against breast cancer, so I'd much rather get those species to places of use than to lose another pair of breasts from the world. Rattlesnake venom (from live animals) is used to produce the first medication you receive during a heart attack.

I take Plavix every day. I don't care if it does have some crap from the southeastern pygmy rattler in it. I'm sure they farm them just like they do every other creature they use for something. And if one bites me or my dog because I failed to kill it then shame on me.

#6350614 - 06/28/16 01:46 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: passthru]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

30 days apart

Nope. 3 weeks. Next one is on. The 29th. Then again the girl at the desk scheduled it. I will call in the morning to make sure something isn't askew.

Update. I called them and they agreed to wait until the 6th. Thank you for the heads up.

#6351353 - 06/29/16 08:05 AM Re: Snake Questions [Re: passthru]
wal1809 Online   content
THF Celebrity

30 days apart

Update. I called them and they agreed to wait until the 6th. Thank you for the heads up.

Aint no thing my man. AS long as the poochies get coverage nothing else matters.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service

UTHFDHGTG Port O'Conner, Texas Dec. 9 Hunt 10,11
lodging 361 983 4371

#6367238 - 07/12/16 05:41 PM Re: Snake Questions [Re: GA DOG 2]
luke0872 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Midland, Lubbock, Abilene
All our dogs get the vaccination and I wear snake boots every time while quail hunting whether its nov,dec,jan or feb. Snake avoidance training would be a good idea if possible. Last year I chased quail on numerous days in jan/feb where it was 70-80 degrees in mitchell county.

Whoever says snakes don't come out after dec is completely FOS happy3 because they certainly will if it's a somewhat warm day (I've killed them in dec-jan when its 60 outside). Also, last year the rattlesnake round up had more snakes than they knew what to do with because of a bumper crop of rattlers with all the rain which brought more rodents.....I can only imagine how many snakes will be out this year with all the rain we've had.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide