Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cassie struck by a water moccasin #6324462 06/06/16 03:58 AM
S
Sweese Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Some of you may have heard that Cassie was bit by a snake Friday. I thought I would fill the others in and encourage snake avoidance training and vaccinations.

Late Friday, I was introducing a puppy to the water. Cassie was along to help. Everything went great until we left. I was heading back to the truck carrying the puppy, and Cassie was behind me carrying a dokken when she was hit. We were walking through shallow water new from the recent rains. I did not see a snake but Cassie was in severe pain, would not walk on her left leg. I also noticed a small amount of blood.

Fifteen minutes later after I cleaned the wound, I noticed it turning black and immediately rushed her to my vet in Lewisville. We got her some pain meds but they had no anti venom. Fortunately, they knew where to send me. I then moved Cassie down the road to DFW North Emergency Clinic in Flower Mound. This is a very well equipped clinic, that has anti venom and lots of snake bite experience. Within 1.5 hours of the bite, we had her on anti venom.

Though I did not see the snake, the vet saw the severity of the necrosis and said water moccasin. This is a very dangerous snake. It is capable of killing its victims, including humans.

What is necrosis? It is the death of most or all of the cells in an organ or tissue due to disease, injury, or failure of the blood supply. Cassie was losing flesh from this bite and it was ugly.

Due to lots of prayer and the staff at DFW North, Cassie was stable and her blood test results good 20 hours later. She is now at home recovering and I am managing the wound. Her leg is still very swollen but not getting worse. She is probably putting about 80% on the foot right now, so we have a way to go.

Though Cassie stepped on this snake, possibly aggravated by me passing it first, I still plan on snake avoidance training if possible this summer. I had already planned on the vaccine prior to this incident but was thinking July/August before the dove opener.

None of you want to have your dog go through what Cassie went through this weekend. It is also very expensive. Talk to your vet about the vaccine, know who has anti-venom in case of a bite, do the snake avoidance training, and be careful out there.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6324473 06/06/16 04:10 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Glad the dog is recovering well.

Would snake avoidance have helped in this situation? Doesn't sound like the dog noticed it. Also, is there vaccine for water moccasin? Never heard of one.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6324480 06/06/16 04:20 AM
S
Sweese Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Not sure if snake avoidance would have helped in this situation. I will never know. However, I think avoidance training will help in most encounters. The vaccine is more for protection from the western diamondback and the copper head. You are correct about it not offering protection from the water moccasin. The team at the emergency clinic said it may have bought me a bit more time but that is it.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6324527 06/06/16 09:51 AM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
Hope she recovers quickly.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6324554 06/06/16 11:14 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Glad she's on the mend. Sounds like the vets brought their A game.

I hate water moccasins with a purple passion.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Creekrunner] #6324557 06/06/16 11:19 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Dangit. I hate that for you and Cassie. Looks like she will be good as new soon.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Creekrunner] #6324593 06/06/16 11:55 AM
S
Sweese Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Glad she's on the mend. Sounds like the vets brought their A game.

They sure did. Cassie was the only dog in the hospital overnight so she got big time attention.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6325116 06/06/16 07:47 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Ouch! Hope she continues to recover and recover fully!

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #6325423 06/06/16 11:40 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bassfishinglawyer
Ouch! Hope she continues to recover and recover fully!

This.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6325432 06/06/16 11:48 PM
M
Michael W. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Hope the pup continues to improve. You just never know when something like that can happen.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.
Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6325438 06/06/16 11:51 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Good job noticing Cassie's wound and getting it under control so fast. Thanks for sharing. I hope her recovery goes well and fast.

I think if one hunts with dogs for a number of years it is only a matter of when, not if one of your dog's gets bit. I have had two dogs bitten. One by moccasin, one by timber rattler. Both recovered fine, one only treated for pain and was hunting a day later after the swelling went down. The other benadryl,steroid,antibiotics. The only long term after effect was a minor limp in the bitten leg after long hunts. Both of those dogs I had to wrap my jacket around their heads while carrying them back to keep them from biting me due to the pain.

The avoidance training definitely helps. When my Dash first went through it, Wayne followed up with a moccasin exposure after done with the rattlesnake. Now even if Dash only smells where a moccasin has been or sees a bent stick floating in the water he stops and backs away to take another route. Before as a pup, he would try to jump out of the boat to attack any snake he saw.

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sniper John] #6325670 06/07/16 02:16 AM
S
Sweese Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Good job noticing Cassie's wound and getting it under control so fast. Thanks for sharing. I hope her recovery goes well and fast.

I think if one hunts with dogs for a number of years it is only a matter of when, not if one of your dog's gets bit. I have had two dogs bitten. One by moccasin, one by timber rattler. Both recovered fine, one only treated for pain and was hunting a day later after the swelling went down. The other benadryl,steroid,antibiotics. The only long term after effect was a minor limp in the bitten leg after long hunts. Both of those dogs I had to wrap my jacket around their heads while carrying them back to keep them from biting me due to the pain.

The avoidance training definitely helps. When my Dash first went through it, Wayne followed up with a moccasin exposure after done with the rattlesnake. Now even if Dash only smells where a moccasin has been or sees a bent stick floating in the water he stops and backs away to take another route. Before as a pup, he would try to jump out of the boat to attack any snake he saw.

I do think Cassie got a bit of avoidance training with the situation that happened. That bite was much worse than a strong e-collar setting.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6325814 06/07/16 03:30 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Man that's some scary stuff. Glad she is recovering. Mine has a 9 am appointment in the morning for vaccine. I won't be late.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6326001 06/07/16 12:49 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Glad she is getting better. On the bright side Cassie was the one probably most able to with stand the snake bite rather than you or the pup.

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6326514 06/07/16 06:44 PM
W
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I am really glad to hear her blood work is a go. Unfortunately this is the toughest of all bite situations to avoid/detect. A snake in the water, carrying a bumper, you being there and yall working. All of these things stand against the dogs chances of even detecting the snake much more avoid it fast enough. This is the situation where she would most probably only get to smell the snake. Even then she would have to revert back to the training and relieve herself of happy times she was in at the moment, all in the matter of a split second.

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: wal1809] #6328120 06/08/16 09:31 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted By: wal1809
I am really glad to hear her blood work is a go. Unfortunately this is the toughest of all bite situations to avoid/detect. A snake in the water, carrying a bumper, you being there and yall working. All of these things stand against the dogs chances of even detecting the snake much more avoid it fast enough. This is the situation where she would most probably only get to smell the snake. Even then she would have to revert back to the training and relieve herself of happy times she was in at the moment, all in the matter of a split second.

I agree, seems like this situation (while I wasn't there) would've happened regardless. I've always heard a water moccasin won't kill a dog (assuming the airway doesn't swell) that you just benedryl them up and give them rest.

That's scary...sorry you had to deal with it Jay. She's a beautiful dog.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6332613 06/12/16 10:43 PM
nak Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Online Sleepy
Veteran Tracker
Wow...scary stuff there. I'm glad Cassie is on the road to recovery.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6338225 06/17/16 06:19 AM
B
bodydub Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Poor pup, I feel for you bro........

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6339043 06/17/16 11:17 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
So glad things appear to be improving. Have lots of rattlers at my place and it is a constant concern of mine for my Spinone

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Flashprism] #6339182 06/18/16 01:13 AM
S
Sweese Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: Flashprism
So glad things appear to be improving. Have lots of rattlers at my place and it is a constant concern of mine for my Spinone

If you are concerned about rattlers, do look into the vaccine. It is very inexpensive and offers solid protection against rattlers.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6339670 06/18/16 03:35 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
How's Cassie doing? She at home and acting normal or still recovering a bit?

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6339847 06/18/16 07:24 PM
S
slow944 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I have a new dog, a 4mo old black lab. Sounds like I need to talk to my vet about vaccine. Glad Cassie is doing well.

I Have A 45 And A Shovel. Don't Mess With Texas!

According To "Kierchof's Law" Murphy Was An Optimist!

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: slow944] #6340108 06/19/16 01:28 AM
S
Sweese Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted By: slow944
I have a new dog, a 4mo old black lab. Sounds like I need to talk to my vet about vaccine. Glad Cassie is doing well.

The vaccine is a good idea. I plan to do the same before dove season. I hunt mostly in central Texas. It is important to note that the vaccine gives you good protection against rattlers and the copper head. However, it does not help much, if any against a cotton mouth/water moccasin.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese] #6340141 06/19/16 02:04 AM
S
slow944 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Yeah, that's what I was reading. Most likely will do the snake avoidance training also.

Thanks

Jerry

I Have A 45 And A Shovel. Don't Mess With Texas!

According To "Kierchof's Law" Murphy Was An Optimist!

Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Judd] #6340150 06/19/16 02:20 AM
S
Sweese Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
S
Originally Posted by Judd
How's Cassie doing? She at home and acting normal or still recovering a bit?

Judd,

We are two weeks today and she is doing great. I see no long term adverse problems with her left leg and paw. Right now, I am just managing the wounds from the two bites. There was one on the front and one on the back/bottom. Once these scabs drop offI can get her back in the water again and resume training.

Here is a video of her running around the yard yesterday. She just decided to go Forrest Gump on me. It was time to run.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide