OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Of those that have owned a few over time

Billet or forged?
Barrel length?
16" or nfa?
Light, med, heavy barrel?
Light guns , medium, heavy weight over all?
223, 6.8, 300bo

Whatever else you might add

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324387 06/06/16 02:53 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Never owned one of those evil black gun

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: AR's you've had [Re: BigPig] #6324390 06/06/16 02:56 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: BigPig

You should learn to use your bolt gun first before exploring a less forgiving gun platform

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324412 06/06/16 03:12 AM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I prefer billet for looks only. Nothing functional to gain.

Barrel length shorter the better. (Even with my bolt guns)

NFA

Medium profile barrels, medium weight guns

All of the above.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324432 06/06/16 03:31 AM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Forged
18/7.5/10.5/ NFA-yes
Barrels "heavy" noveske polygonal, all shooters
all pretty heavy.

The 6.8 spc with a 10.5" barrel is my favorite AR platform. It runs great and hits hard out to 200. Anything longer than that and prob be better with a bolt up

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324449 06/06/16 03:41 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Originally Posted By: BigPig

You should learn to use your bolt gun first before exploring a less forgiving gun platform

Really? popcorn

Still can't let it go can ya?

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324461 06/06/16 03:56 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Mostly forged with a couple poly lowers.
Barrel lengths from 20" to 8.5"
I've had both bull barrels and thinner profiles, but have migrated to the thinner profiles due to weight.
Calibers I've had are 9mm, .22LR, .223, 300 BO, .308.
A couple lightweight SBR's and a couple heavier rigs with the thermal scopes.
All of mine I run suppressed except the 9mm.

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324470 06/06/16 04:07 AM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Standard garden variety Colt, paid $350.,1980. I beat the rush to buy them.
At about the same time at a show in Salt Lake I found a Colt with a serial number of less than 1000. I had little cash but my buddy bought it, $400, and still has it.

M

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324511 06/06/16 05:45 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
DPMS A3 Classic, 20" barrel. Have no idea of billet, forged, etc. doesn't matter to me.

Stag Model One, 16" barrel. Same as above.

Still have them.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324521 06/06/16 08:14 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
All mine are forged. Wouldn't mind a billet if the price were right but there's no real advantage in billet.
As for the rest of the questions, I think you need to decide the caliber first before you decide the rest. I'd take an 8" 300blk any day. No way would I want an 8" 5.56 nor be near someone else shooting one. And I would take a 20" 6.5 Grendel over a 16" 6.8 for hunting. But I am also figuring long range. For short range, a 6.8 would work fine. So decide on the caliber first and then we can answer the rest of the questions.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324573 06/06/16 11:38 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I bought a DPMS flat-top around five or six years ago. It was something to learn on. If I remember correctly, it cost around 900 bucks in that era.

After buying the necessary tools and fixtures, I took it apart and reassembled it with a picatinny gas block and tubular Hogue free-float hand-guard. I tried various scopes and sights on it, and did some of the obligatory 'spray and pray' shooting with cheap Russian ammo.

It was valuable as a learning experience - but as a firearm, I did not find it to be all that impressive. The ignorant and backward design that poots combustion trash and gasses directly back into the action was offensive to my sensibilities as one who appreciates good firearms design. - Which the AR platform most decidedly is not.

I kept it around for several months. Then, a ham radio buddy mentioned that he was looking for an AR for his son, so I made him a deal, selling it to him for a couple of hundred bucks less than I paid for it in the first place. The thing had been taking up valuable space in my safe, and I wanted room for something more interesting.

As a computer weenie, I see the AR platform as being much like the Linux OS... Great for those who must endlessly tinker, but not up to being mainstream by any stretch of the imagination. It pretty well defines the niche firearm, often purchased with its looks or popularity in mind, rather than for any utility that it may possess.

An AR-15 CAN be used for many purposes, just as an H&R Handy-Rifle CAN be used for a variety of purposes. - This does not translate though into it being my first choice for very much of anything. If I really wanted a pseudo-assault rifle, I'd buy an SCAR.

I'll probably buy another one some time to play around with, especially since the market is super-saturated now and the 'value' of these firearms is taking a crash dive. When the price gets down to what they are actually worth (maybe $350 or so) then I'll be ready to once more become an AR-15 owner.

I have seen really impressive AR's, on a number of occasions. Fine testaments to the tinkerer's art. My personal favorites are the ones popular for DCM matches in my area. Those guys go for a basic firearm of the best possible quality, as opposed to hanging everything but the kitchen sink on them.

Last edited by charlesb; 06/06/16 11:54 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324677 06/06/16 01:28 PM
B
bside Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I have 3

16, 14.5, and 10.5", all 5.56/.223W. I've thought about 6.8/6.5 before, but opted to not do so. If I want an autoloader that hits harder, I'll buy an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

2 have forged lowers, 1 as billet. there's no practical difference other than the billet weight ever so slightly more and having a nylon tensioning screw. Just get a forged one unless you don't care about costs. If you go poly, I would only recommend TNArmsco.

Fantastic platform. It's lightweight, precise and reliable. If you're using decent mags, you're likely go to thousands of rounds between stoppages, regardless of your treatment of the rifle.

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6324858 06/06/16 04:12 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I own/have owned the following and listed what I see to be as the major benefits of each caliber:

- Multiple 5.56 - great for plinking/training/high volume shooting, easy to find ammo
- Multiple 6.8 - awesome for pigs/deer, much lighter than an AR-10
- .300 BLK - nothing more fun and suppressed subsonic .300 BLK
- .308 (AR-10)- longer range shooting and hunting, easy to find ammo

I am a fan of billet receivers because they look so much nicer. I build all my ARs, and I like the more "high end" look of billet.

Barrel length will depend on caliber. .300 blk I would recommend the SBR route, 5.56/6.8 you can either go SBR or 16". I would not go longer than 16" personally. I typically like mid weight barrels for an all-around gun.

As far as over-all weight of the gun, light is nice but I focus more on the feel and functionality than I do on weight.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: AR's you've had [Re: charlesb] #6325015 06/06/16 06:31 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: charlesb
I bought a DPMS flat-top around five or six years ago. It was something to learn on. If I remember correctly, it cost around 900 bucks in that era.

After buying the necessary tools and fixtures, I took it apart and reassembled it with a picatinny gas block and tubular Hogue free-float hand-guard. I tried various scopes and sights on it, and did some of the obligatory 'spray and pray' shooting with cheap Russian ammo.

It was valuable as a learning experience - but as a firearm, I did not find it to be all that impressive. The ignorant and backward design that poots combustion trash and gasses directly back into the action was offensive to my sensibilities as one who appreciates good firearms design. - Which the AR platform most decidedly is not.

I kept it around for several months. Then, a ham radio buddy mentioned that he was looking for an AR for his son, so I made him a deal, selling it to him for a couple of hundred bucks less than I paid for it in the first place. The thing had been taking up valuable space in my safe, and I wanted room for something more interesting.

As a computer weenie, I see the AR platform as being much like the Linux OS... Great for those who must endlessly tinker, but not up to being mainstream by any stretch of the imagination. It pretty well defines the niche firearm, often purchased with its looks or popularity in mind, rather than for any utility that it may possess.

An AR-15 CAN be used for many purposes, just as an H&R Handy-Rifle CAN be used for a variety of purposes. - This does not translate though into it being my first choice for very much of anything. If I really wanted a pseudo-assault rifle, I'd buy an SCAR.

I'll probably buy another one some time to play around with, especially since the market is super-saturated now and the 'value' of these firearms is taking a crash dive. When the price gets down to what they are actually worth (maybe $350 or so) then I'll be ready to once more become an AR-15 owner.

I have seen really impressive AR's, on a number of occasions. Fine testaments to the tinkerer's art. My personal favorites are the ones popular for DCM matches in my area. Those guys go for a basic firearm of the best possible quality, as opposed to hanging everything but the kitchen sink on them.

So all of your AR bashing comes from experience with a bottom of the barrel AR platform. rolleyes

I've had several over time.

Started out a long time ago with a Bushmaster M4E2 A2 with fixed carry handle. Put everything you could think of cheap Chinese parts on it. Weighed a freaking ton
Got an M4 clone with 4 position stock on it in a trade 16" plastic hand guards detachable carry handle with A2 sights.
Spikes M4LE 16" 12" MI quad rail aimpoint ML3.
Mega Side charging 6.8SPC
PSA M4 16" 12" Keymod Rail Aimpoint T1
Stripped the PSA from above and built it with a 10.5" Rainier barrel and 9" Keymod rail with Aimpoint T1
POF 16" 308 with SWFA 10X
CMMG MK3 CBR with SWFA 12X, now sits with the SWFA 1-4x

Probably a few more I'm missing at the moment.

[Linked Image]

Re: AR's you've had [Re: KRoyal] #6325207 06/06/16 09:09 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
So which was your favorite Kroyal ?

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325238 06/06/16 09:38 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I have owned 7 or 8 of them in the last 6 years. All were sub MOA shooters. I only have 2 left, a DPMS Oracle in .223 and PSA in a 7mm08, both are sub MOA shooters with factory ammo. I think that is all about I will ever need so I guess they are my favorite now, :), in a AR platform.

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325249 06/06/16 09:42 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
So which was your favorite Kroyal ?

Hands down gotta say my 10.5" SBR I built. So small and light its my go to hunting rifle. I'm am of the camp "buy once cry once" now. Protip up Buy quality stuff to begin with it will actually save you money in the long run. Ask me how I know LOL. Been toying around with the idea of a super short 8" 300BLK with a 30cal Ti Suppressor with the SWFA 1-4x on it for my new hunting rig.

[Linked Image]

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325273 06/06/16 09:58 PM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I bought my first AR back in the early 1980's,a plain jane Colt. While fun to shoot,I really disliked that rifle because I could never get used to the sights on the carry handle. I sold it a couple years later,and didn't buy another one until the 1990's when Rock River Arms came out with their Varminter series.
I still have that RRA 20" varminter,and have built probably a dozen rifles since.
The funnest rifle that I ever built was a 458 SOCOM,but with it's limited range,and high cost to load for,I decided to sell the upper and all my reloading supplies for it.

Currently,I have 4 AR's,two in 223 Wylde,a 6.5x6.8 wildcat,and a DPMS LR series in 260 Remington. I also have a Kel-Tec PLR-16 pistol in 223,but it is the loudest firearm that you will ever fire.

Re: AR's you've had [Re: KRoyal] #6325285 06/06/16 10:08 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Originally Posted By: charlesb

So all of your AR bashing comes from experience with a bottom of the barrel AR platform. rolleyes

I've had several over time.

Started out a long time ago with a Bushmaster M4E2 A2 with fixed carry handle. Put everything you could think of cheap Chinese parts on it. Weighed a freaking ton
Got an M4 clone with 4 position stock on it in a trade 16" plastic hand guards detachable carry handle with A2 sights.
Spikes M4LE 16" 12" MI quad rail aimpoint ML3.
Mega Side charging 6.8SPC
PSA M4 16" 12" Keymod Rail Aimpoint T1
Stripped the PSA from above and built it with a 10.5" Rainier barrel and 9" Keymod rail with Aimpoint T1
POF 16" 308 with SWFA 10X
CMMG MK3 CBR with SWFA 12X, now sits with the SWFA 1-4x

Probably a few more I'm missing at the moment.

All sold to fund a bolt gun... clap

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325297 06/06/16 10:21 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Bought a Rock River Predator Pursuit when you could find one. GREAT RIFLE!!!

Fell out of love with AR's, sold it to my Buddy who buys all my safe clean-outs.

Got mad at people telling me I shouldn't have one so I bought this Seekins Build. Shot it one time, love it, absolutely love it, sadly never shoot it. has a nice place in the back of my safe.

Rock River Before

[IMG]
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/buzzsawbucket/gun038.jpg[/IMG]

After
[IMG]

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/buzzsawbucket/gun070.jpg[/IMG]

SEEKINS

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325336 06/06/16 10:41 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Lol nope I have a bolt gun, but I'm going back to gas guns. Going to buy me some better glass than the 12x and throw it on the CMMG for longer range stuff and throw the 1-4x on my new sbr build grin

[Linked Image]

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325409 06/06/16 11:33 PM
W
wall8053 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
I've had or have 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 spc, 300 blk, 7.62x39 and 308. Barrel lengths vary from 10.5" to 20". Heavy barrels to standard although my preference is mid to heavy. I prefer billet over forged. I have SBR platforms as well. I don't have the x39 AR any longer but that will be my next project in a side charger. It's surprisingly fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap. I shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325593 06/07/16 01:40 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have several for different applications. Unless you are going to carry the rifle a long ways, I see no reason for a pencil weight barrel and prefer a mid weight...flutted if concerned about weight.

Forged for everything, maybe billet for dedicated long range precision application but not sure that even really matters.

20" heavy or medium for pure long range/target

18" medium for a compromise of handy/long range

14.5" pinned or 16" medium for a handy/portable rifle

I don't have a suppressor yet, but I would think 16" or less just to keep somewhat handy.

223 Wylde for higher volume shooting and a single rifle scenario but would definitely go 6.8 for hunting. I don't have a 300bo and doubt I ever will, just don't see enough advantages over 6.8.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325849 06/07/16 04:10 AM
C
crash700 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I will start out by saying that I do not see my firearms as status symbols as some guys may. I have had several different AR's and continue to build them for whatever purpose I might decide I need one for. I am in law enforcement and the AR is is simply something that extends my accurate range when the need arises and a pistol would not be as effective (long hallways in buildings are a good example). For my personal preference, I have a 5.56 shorty 11.5" with an aim point PRO and a secondary 5.56 rifle with a 16" barrel with a Meprolite Tru Dot. Both are very effective for their intended uses and easily capable of accurate shots to 200 yards with the 16" rifle maintaining its accuracy a little further, though most likely shots taken would be within 75 yards for less. I use magpul furniture because it makes it easy to attach a flashlight or picatinny rail if I choose to. Don't add too much stuff or it will get heavy, especially if you have to carry it or maintain it for an extended amount of time.

In regard to what I like, I like simplicity. Medium weight barrels, backup open sights that co-witness with my aim point or meprolite. I like oversized charging handles for leverage if I'm wearing gloves, collapsible stocks to accommodate a vest. A good sling that is comfortable but not overly cumbersome. I see guys get these triple point slings and it takes them 5 minutes to orient before slinging their rifle. I use quality parts first and foremost when I build, but I don't see billet as something thats needed. I have built 20" heavy rifles for varmints, but that was the goal at the outset. Let the mission dictate what your rifle will be when its finished. Not sure if I answered your question, but thats my take on AR-15's. I have had and still have a 6.8spc and think its a wonderful piece of equipment, especially when hog hunting and i have a 300 BO because I wanted one to shoot suppressed. Situation dictates which gets utilized.

Dont get me wrong, I love my bolt rifles very much and they have their place, but I will always maintain an AR also.

Last edited by crash700; 06/07/16 04:15 AM. Reason: add info

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law] #6325881 06/07/16 04:51 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I have 3 ARs.

1st- 14.5 in WOA in 223/556, forged lower and upper, 12 in Quadrail handguard, CMC trigger, and Vortex strike eagle on top. This is prob my best shooting AR and one of my favorites for night hunting for pigs, coons, and yotes.

2nd- 10.5 YHM 6.8SPC barrel, light weight keymod handguard, forged upper and lower, CMC trigger, Holosun red dot sight on top. I built this as a truck type gun, something small, light and compact I could easily tote around anywhere while out hunting.

3rd- 16 inch ARP scout profile barrel in 6.8SPC, 15 in mlok handguard, forged upper and lower, CMC flat trigger, SWFA 1-4 on top. I built this primarily for pig hunting out in west Texas where most my shots are a minimum of 200 yds so I wanted a little more velocity on a heavier bullet. I have shot steel easily at 500 yds with this rifle and it has become my go to AR. Im actually considering selling my 223 but can't bring myself to do it yet bc its fun and fairly inexpensive to shoot.

All in all they all have their purpose and if I were to build another it would be an AR10 in 308 just bc I don't have an AR10 yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide