6242175 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6324462 - 06/05/16 10:58 PM Cassie struck by a water moccasin
Sweese Offline
Woodsman

Loc: North Texas
Some of you may have heard that Cassie was bit by a snake Friday. I thought I would fill the others in and encourage snake avoidance training and vaccinations.

Late Friday, I was introducing a puppy to the water. Cassie was along to help. Everything went great until we left. I was heading back to the truck carrying the puppy, and Cassie was behind me carrying a dokken when she was hit. We were walking through shallow water new from the recent rains. I did not see a snake but Cassie was in severe pain, would not walk on her left leg. I also noticed a small amount of blood.

Fifteen minutes later after I cleaned the wound, I noticed it turning black and immediately rushed her to my vet in Lewisville. We got her some pain meds but they had no anti venom. Fortunately, they knew where to send me. I then moved Cassie down the road to DFW North Emergency Clinic in Flower Mound. This is a very well equipped clinic, that has anti venom and lots of snake bite experience. Within 1.5 hours of the bite, we had her on anti venom.

Though I did not see the snake, the vet saw the severity of the necrosis and said water moccasin. This is a very dangerous snake. It is capable of killing its victims, including humans.

What is necrosis? It is the death of most or all of the cells in an organ or tissue due to disease, injury, or failure of the blood supply. Cassie was losing flesh from this bite and it was ugly.

Due to lots of prayer and the staff at DFW North, Cassie was stable and her blood test results good 20 hours later. She is now at home recovering and I am managing the wound. Her leg is still very swollen but not getting worse. She is probably putting about 80% on the foot right now, so we have a way to go.

Though Cassie stepped on this snake, possibly aggravated by me passing it first, I still plan on snake avoidance training if possible this summer. I had already planned on the vaccine prior to this incident but was thinking July/August before the dove opener.

None of you want to have your dog go through what Cassie went through this weekend. It is also very expensive. Talk to your vet about the vaccine, know who has anti-venom in case of a bite, do the snake avoidance training, and be careful out there.

Jay

#6324473 - 06/05/16 11:10 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
MS1454 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
Glad the dog is recovering well.

Would snake avoidance have helped in this situation? Doesn't sound like the dog noticed it. Also, is there vaccine for water moccasin? Never heard of one.

#6324480 - 06/05/16 11:20 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
Sweese Offline
Woodsman

Not sure if snake avoidance would have helped in this situation. I will never know. However, I think avoidance training will help in most encounters. The vaccine is more for protection from the western diamondback and the copper head. You are correct about it not offering protection from the water moccasin. The team at the emergency clinic said it may have bought me a bit more time but that is it.

Jay

#6324527 - 06/06/16 04:51 AM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Black Dog, Texas
Hope she recovers quickly.

Custom Crosses and Plaques

#6324554 - 06/06/16 06:14 AM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Glad she's on the mend. Sounds like the vets brought their A game.

I hate water moccasins with a purple passion.

#6324557 - 06/06/16 06:19 AM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Creekrunner]
bobcat1 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Sanger, Texas
Dangit. I hate that for you and Cassie. Looks like she will be good as new soon.

#6324593 - 06/06/16 06:55 AM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Creekrunner]
Sweese Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Glad she's on the mend. Sounds like the vets brought their A game.

They sure did. Cassie was the only dog in the hospital overnight so she got big time attention.

Jay

#6325116 - 06/06/16 02:47 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Tracker

Ouch! Hope she continues to recover and recover fully!

#6325423 - 06/06/16 06:40 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: bassfishinglawyer]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
Originally Posted By: bassfishinglawyer
Ouch! Hope she continues to recover and recover fully!

This.

#6325432 - 06/06/16 06:48 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
Michael W. Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Central Texas / Comal County
Hope the pup continues to improve. You just never know when something like that can happen.

A clear conscience is often the sign of a fuzzy memory.

#6325438 - 06/06/16 06:51 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
Sniper John Offline

gumshoe

Good job noticing Cassie's wound and getting it under control so fast. Thanks for sharing. I hope her recovery goes well and fast.

I think if one hunts with dogs for a number of years it is only a matter of when, not if one of your dog's gets bit. I have had two dogs bitten. One by moccasin, one by timber rattler. Both recovered fine, one only treated for pain and was hunting a day later after the swelling went down. The other benadryl,steroid,antibiotics. The only long term after effect was a minor limp in the bitten leg after long hunts. Both of those dogs I had to wrap my jacket around their heads while carrying them back to keep them from biting me due to the pain.

The avoidance training definitely helps. When my Dash first went through it, Wayne followed up with a moccasin exposure after done with the rattlesnake. Now even if Dash only smells where a moccasin has been or sees a bent stick floating in the water he stops and backs away to take another route. Before as a pup, he would try to jump out of the boat to attack any snake he saw.

"Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak. Oh! The places you'll go!" ~ Dr. Seuss

#6325670 - 06/06/16 09:16 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sniper John]
Sweese Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
Good job noticing Cassie's wound and getting it under control so fast. Thanks for sharing. I hope her recovery goes well and fast.

I think if one hunts with dogs for a number of years it is only a matter of when, not if one of your dog's gets bit. I have had two dogs bitten. One by moccasin, one by timber rattler. Both recovered fine, one only treated for pain and was hunting a day later after the swelling went down. The other benadryl,steroid,antibiotics. The only long term after effect was a minor limp in the bitten leg after long hunts. Both of those dogs I had to wrap my jacket around their heads while carrying them back to keep them from biting me due to the pain.

The avoidance training definitely helps. When my Dash first went through it, Wayne followed up with a moccasin exposure after done with the rattlesnake. Now even if Dash only smells where a moccasin has been or sees a bent stick floating in the water he stops and backs away to take another route. Before as a pup, he would try to jump out of the boat to attack any snake he saw.

I do think Cassie got a bit of avoidance training with the situation that happened. That bite was much worse than a strong e-collar setting.

Jay

#6325814 - 06/06/16 10:30 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Saginaw, Tx
Man that's some scary stuff. Glad she is recovering. Mine has a 9 am appointment in the morning for vaccine. I won't be late.
http://www.threefingersbowhunting.com/

#6326001 - 06/07/16 07:49 AM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
mattyg06 Offline
Bird Dog

Glad she is getting better. On the bright side Cassie was the one probably most able to with stand the snake bite rather than you or the pup.

#6326514 - 06/07/16 01:44 PM Re: Cassie struck by a water moccasin [Re: Sweese]
wal1809 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I am really glad to hear her blood work is a go. Unfortunately this is the toughest of all bite situations to avoid/detect. A snake in the water, carrying a bumper, you being there and yall working. All of these things stand against the dogs chances of even detecting the snake much more avoid it fast enough. This is the situation where she would most probably only get to smell the snake. Even then she would have to revert back to the training and relieve herself of happy times she was in at the moment, all in the matter of a split second.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service

UTHFDHGTG Port O'Conner, Texas Dec. 9 Hunt 10,11
lodging 361 983 4371

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide