Kimber Training #6319698 06/02/16 02:50 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
6 months old

This morning's training. I think we've made some progress.

The mark she doesn't pick up at the first was because I accidentally left a duck out there and it was scattered all over there to the right. So that was my fault.

Once I teach "hold" and FF I'll be able to enforce a good delivery and heel when gets back.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Kimber Training [Re: BradyBuck] #6320345 06/02/16 10:23 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Bradybuck,

Training is looking good. Her obedience is really coming along and she looks like she is really paying attention to you. I have one simple critique. When you call her in from a distance, do not let her run by you. Go ahead and have her come to your left and heel, even if she drops the bumper. Be ready to grab that check cord. Now, when it is time for fun bumpers and training is over, there are no worries and no need for heeling.

How old is she now?

Are you near Abilene? There is a good UKC HRC club in Brownwood, TX called Lonesome Dove.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Kimber Training [Re: BradyBuck] #6320391 06/02/16 11:03 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
She is 6 months old.

I've been contemplating how to get her come to heel on the return. I've tried just once or twice to have her heel on the return but she's running back so hard a lot of times...I don't really have a way to enforce it without the check cord in my hand.

Ive tried stepping in front of her and a lot of times she slams into my legs because she running back so hard.

I guess I can shorten the mark, keep the rope in my hand and teach her to come to heel on the delivery.....just thinking as I type....it's so simple sometimes haha

I did join LDHRC and helped out with their recent HT. I've been to one training day as well. They have a lot of great people there. Glenda Mitchel has offered to help me and I'm going to try and start going over there to Kanati Kennels in Brownwood and take her up on it.

Re: Kimber Training [Re: BradyBuck] #6321021 06/03/16 11:44 AM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Ya gotta love it her coming back so fast. That is good stuff!

I would not worry about shortening the mark(s) since you are building on that too. Just grab the leash with gloves(or step on it) as she passes you, say "heel"...."sit", and help her get into position. I realize that the bumper will fall out which is no big deal right now. As you get good at this, you may be able to grab the leash with one hand and the bumper with the other hand. Conditioned retrieve will take care of the delivery soon, and then all the pieces start to come together.

I was there in Commanche at the last hunt test, and ran Cassie. It was fun to see all the dogs retrieving ducks through the wildflowers. Sorry we missed each other. It would have been fun to meet you in person.

Glenda is a great lady, a huge promoter of the HRC, and will certainly help you with all your training questions.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Kimber Training [Re: Sweese] #6321398 06/03/16 04:28 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Sweese
Ya gotta love it her coming back so fast. That is good stuff!

I would not worry about shortening the mark(s) since you are building on that too. Just grab the leash with gloves(or step on it) as she passes you, say "heel"...."sit", and help her get into position. I realize that the bumper will fall out which is no big deal right now. As you get good at this, you may be able to grab the leash with one hand and the bumper with the other hand. Conditioned retrieve will take care of the delivery soon, and then all the pieces start to come together.

I was there in Commanche at the last hunt test, and ran Cassie. It was fun to see all the dogs retrieving ducks through the wildflowers. Sorry we missed each other. It would have been fun to meet you in person.

Glenda is a great lady, a huge promoter of the HRC, and will certainly help you with all your training questions.

I'm sure I saw you there. I was helping with setting up the finished B the first day and then the other finished tests on Sunday.

I saw so many dogs I can't remember a lot of them. Did you run finished?

That land series in that thick cover sure gave a lot of dogs trouble.

I worked my rear end off that weekend but I had a blast and I'm hooked on it!

Re: Kimber Training [Re: BradyBuck] #6324417 06/06/16 03:17 AM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I was in finished B. Yep, the cover was thick. It was a good test.

Like most, I had to handle to one of the marks, but Cassie stepped on the other two marks and lined the blind.

Thanks for helping out the club and I am glad you are hooked. I do like the camaraderie in the HRC. There is so much more than just earning a ribbon and a title.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Kimber Training [Re: BradyBuck] #6326009 06/07/16 12:53 PM
M
mattyg06 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
BradyBuck, nice looking pup and good work on your part. I taught the front heel return separately from any retrieves when I was doing obedience work. This seemed to help out greatly on getting the dog to understand each step of the process. Once she knew the front return I could give the 'heel' command about 5-10' before the dog got to me on a retrieve.

Re: Kimber Training [Re: mattyg06] #6326126 06/07/16 02:31 PM
B
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: mattyg06
BradyBuck, nice looking pup and good work on your part. I taught the front heel return separately from any retrieves when I was doing obedience work. This seemed to help out greatly on getting the dog to understand each step of the process. Once she knew the front return I could give the 'heel' command about 5-10' before the dog got to me on a retrieve.

We've been working on it a few days now and she is really picking it up.

She knows "heel" while we do our obedience work without coming from a retrieve. I was hesitant to give the command because I felt I had no way to really enforce it immediately. The very next day after this video I started giving the command and then just stepping in front of her so as to not let her run past me. She started to figure it out pretty quick.

Then this morning she started doing this little thing where when I'd say "heel" and step back on my left shed veer to the right to avoid it.

She's constantly challenging me for control.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 06/07/16 02:35 PM.

Re: Kimber Training [Re: BradyBuck] #6326251 06/07/16 03:43 PM
D
daveindenton Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
Originally Posted By: mattyg06

We've been working on it a few days now and she is really picking it up.

She knows "heel" while we do our obedience work without coming from a retrieve. I was hesitant to give the command because I felt I had no way to really enforce it immediately. The very next day after this video I started giving the command and then just stepping in front of her so as to not let her run past me. She started to figure it out pretty quick.

Then this morning she started doing this little thing where when I'd say "heel" and step back on my left shed veer to the right to avoid it.

She's constantly challenging me for control.

I’m far from an expert, but I can tell you what really helped with my dog.

If she’s constantly challenging you for control, try working on the command when you’re in control of something that she wants.

Get her really excited about wanting you to throw the bumper. Then say heel quietly and don’t throw it until she’s lined up exactly how you want her. There’s no need to nick her or get excited…just say the word heel and wait. If she really knows the command like you think she does, then she’ll do it.

She’ll eventually understand that she’s not going to get what she wants until she does what you want...and if you work on it enough it will carry over into her doing it automatically when she’s coming back to you because she’s anticipating the next throw. I did it with my dog and it made a huge difference.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide