#6324344 - 06/05/16 09:34 PM AR's you've had
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

Of those that have owned a few over time

Billet or forged?
Barrel length?
16" or nfa?
Light, med, heavy barrel?
Light guns , medium, heavy weight over all?
223, 6.8, 300bo

Whatever else you might add

#6324387 - 06/05/16 09:53 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Never owned one of those evil black gun

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6324390 - 06/05/16 09:56 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: BigPig]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: BigPig

You should learn to use your bolt gun first before exploring a less forgiving gun platform

#6324412 - 06/05/16 10:12 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
TexFlip Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Harris County
I prefer billet for looks only. Nothing functional to gain.

Barrel length shorter the better. (Even with my bolt guns)

NFA

Medium profile barrels, medium weight guns

All of the above.

#6324432 - 06/05/16 10:31 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
Greg Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: McKinney
Forged
18/7.5/10.5/ NFA-yes
Barrels "heavy" noveske polygonal, all shooters
all pretty heavy.

The 6.8 spc with a 10.5" barrel is my favorite AR platform. It runs great and hits hard out to 200. Anything longer than that and prob be better with a bolt up

#6324449 - 06/05/16 10:41 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
BigPig Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Originally Posted By: BigPig

You should learn to use your bolt gun first before exploring a less forgiving gun platform

Really? popcorn

Still can't let it go can ya?

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6324461 - 06/05/16 10:56 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
DocHorton Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: DFW
Mostly forged with a couple poly lowers.
Barrel lengths from 20" to 8.5"
I've had both bull barrels and thinner profiles, but have migrated to the thinner profiles due to weight.
Calibers I've had are 9mm, .22LR, .223, 300 BO, .308.
A couple lightweight SBR's and a couple heavier rigs with the thermal scopes.
All of mine I run suppressed except the 9mm.

#6324470 - 06/05/16 11:07 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
MClark Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Arizona
Standard garden variety Colt, paid $350.,1980. I beat the rush to buy them.
At about the same time at a show in Salt Lake I found a Colt with a serial number of less than 1000. I had little cash but my buddy bought it, $400, and still has it.

M

#6324511 - 06/06/16 12:45 AM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
booradley Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Justin, TX
DPMS A3 Classic, 20" barrel. Have no idea of billet, forged, etc. doesn't matter to me.

Stag Model One, 16" barrel. Same as above.

Still have them.

#6324521 - 06/06/16 03:14 AM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
Toxarch Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Parker County
All mine are forged. Wouldn't mind a billet if the price were right but there's no real advantage in billet.
As for the rest of the questions, I think you need to decide the caliber first before you decide the rest. I'd take an 8" 300blk any day. No way would I want an 8" 5.56 nor be near someone else shooting one. And I would take a 20" 6.5 Grendel over a 16" 6.8 for hunting. But I am also figuring long range. For short range, a 6.8 would work fine. So decide on the caliber first and then we can answer the rest of the questions.

— Dwight D. Eisenhower

#6324573 - 06/06/16 06:38 AM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
I bought a DPMS flat-top around five or six years ago. It was something to learn on. If I remember correctly, it cost around 900 bucks in that era.

After buying the necessary tools and fixtures, I took it apart and reassembled it with a picatinny gas block and tubular Hogue free-float hand-guard. I tried various scopes and sights on it, and did some of the obligatory 'spray and pray' shooting with cheap Russian ammo.

It was valuable as a learning experience - but as a firearm, I did not find it to be all that impressive. The ignorant and backward design that poots combustion trash and gasses directly back into the action was offensive to my sensibilities as one who appreciates good firearms design. - Which the AR platform most decidedly is not.

I kept it around for several months. Then, a ham radio buddy mentioned that he was looking for an AR for his son, so I made him a deal, selling it to him for a couple of hundred bucks less than I paid for it in the first place. The thing had been taking up valuable space in my safe, and I wanted room for something more interesting.

As a computer weenie, I see the AR platform as being much like the Linux OS... Great for those who must endlessly tinker, but not up to being mainstream by any stretch of the imagination. It pretty well defines the niche firearm, often purchased with its looks or popularity in mind, rather than for any utility that it may possess.

An AR-15 CAN be used for many purposes, just as an H&R Handy-Rifle CAN be used for a variety of purposes. - This does not translate though into it being my first choice for very much of anything. If I really wanted a pseudo-assault rifle, I'd buy an SCAR.

I'll probably buy another one some time to play around with, especially since the market is super-saturated now and the 'value' of these firearms is taking a crash dive. When the price gets down to what they are actually worth (maybe $350 or so) then I'll be ready to once more become an AR-15 owner.

I have seen really impressive AR's, on a number of occasions. Fine testaments to the tinkerer's art. My personal favorites are the ones popular for DCM matches in my area. Those guys go for a basic firearm of the best possible quality, as opposed to hanging everything but the kitchen sink on them.

Edited by charlesb (06/06/16 06:54 AM)

#6324677 - 06/06/16 08:28 AM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
bside Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: DFW
I have 3

16, 14.5, and 10.5", all 5.56/.223W. I've thought about 6.8/6.5 before, but opted to not do so. If I want an autoloader that hits harder, I'll buy an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoor.

2 have forged lowers, 1 as billet. there's no practical difference other than the billet weight ever so slightly more and having a nylon tensioning screw. Just get a forged one unless you don't care about costs. If you go poly, I would only recommend TNArmsco.

Fantastic platform. It's lightweight, precise and reliable. If you're using decent mags, you're likely go to thousands of rounds between stoppages, regardless of your treatment of the rifle.

#6324858 - 06/06/16 11:12 AM Re: AR's you've had [Re: Brother in-law]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
I own/have owned the following and listed what I see to be as the major benefits of each caliber:

- Multiple 5.56 - great for plinking/training/high volume shooting, easy to find ammo
- Multiple 6.8 - awesome for pigs/deer, much lighter than an AR-10
- .300 BLK - nothing more fun and suppressed subsonic .300 BLK
- .308 (AR-10)- longer range shooting and hunting, easy to find ammo

I am a fan of billet receivers because they look so much nicer. I build all my ARs, and I like the more "high end" look of billet.

Barrel length will depend on caliber. .300 blk I would recommend the SBR route, 5.56/6.8 you can either go SBR or 16". I would not go longer than 16" personally. I typically like mid weight barrels for an all-around gun.

As far as over-all weight of the gun, light is nice but I focus more on the feel and functionality than I do on weight.

#6325015 - 06/06/16 01:31 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: charlesb]
KRoyal Online   sleepy
THF Celebrity

Loc: Sherman/North of Dallas
Originally Posted By: charlesb
I bought a DPMS flat-top around five or six years ago. It was something to learn on. If I remember correctly, it cost around 900 bucks in that era.

After buying the necessary tools and fixtures, I took it apart and reassembled it with a picatinny gas block and tubular Hogue free-float hand-guard. I tried various scopes and sights on it, and did some of the obligatory 'spray and pray' shooting with cheap Russian ammo.

It was valuable as a learning experience - but as a firearm, I did not find it to be all that impressive. The ignorant and backward design that poots combustion trash and gasses directly back into the action was offensive to my sensibilities as one who appreciates good firearms design. - Which the AR platform most decidedly is not.

I kept it around for several months. Then, a ham radio buddy mentioned that he was looking for an AR for his son, so I made him a deal, selling it to him for a couple of hundred bucks less than I paid for it in the first place. The thing had been taking up valuable space in my safe, and I wanted room for something more interesting.

As a computer weenie, I see the AR platform as being much like the Linux OS... Great for those who must endlessly tinker, but not up to being mainstream by any stretch of the imagination. It pretty well defines the niche firearm, often purchased with its looks or popularity in mind, rather than for any utility that it may possess.

An AR-15 CAN be used for many purposes, just as an H&R Handy-Rifle CAN be used for a variety of purposes. - This does not translate though into it being my first choice for very much of anything. If I really wanted a pseudo-assault rifle, I'd buy an SCAR.

I'll probably buy another one some time to play around with, especially since the market is super-saturated now and the 'value' of these firearms is taking a crash dive. When the price gets down to what they are actually worth (maybe $350 or so) then I'll be ready to once more become an AR-15 owner.

I have seen really impressive AR's, on a number of occasions. Fine testaments to the tinkerer's art. My personal favorites are the ones popular for DCM matches in my area. Those guys go for a basic firearm of the best possible quality, as opposed to hanging everything but the kitchen sink on them.

So all of your AR bashing comes from experience with a bottom of the barrel AR platform. rolleyes

I've had several over time.

Started out a long time ago with a Bushmaster M4E2 A2 with fixed carry handle. Put everything you could think of cheap Chinese parts on it. Weighed a freaking ton
Got an M4 clone with 4 position stock on it in a trade 16" plastic hand guards detachable carry handle with A2 sights.
Spikes M4LE 16" 12" MI quad rail aimpoint ML3.
Mega Side charging 6.8SPC
PSA M4 16" 12" Keymod Rail Aimpoint T1
Stripped the PSA from above and built it with a 10.5" Rainier barrel and 9" Keymod rail with Aimpoint T1
POF 16" 308 with SWFA 10X
CMMG MK3 CBR with SWFA 12X, now sits with the SWFA 1-4x

Probably a few more I'm missing at the moment.

Rapid Design Lab

#6325207 - 06/06/16 04:09 PM Re: AR's you've had [Re: KRoyal]
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity

So which was your favorite Kroyal ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide