Print Thread
Glock optic???'s #6322663 06/04/16 08:20 PM
S
slayer12 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Has anyone added a holosight or reflex to there glock? If what is the process you did and do you recommend anyone for the work? I have a 10mm that I want to make a hunting pistol.
Also pics would be great.

Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: slayer12] #6322696 06/04/16 08:33 PM
H
HicksHunter Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Here's my Open division Glock 34.

I started with a Glock MOS, so it's a little different than what you'll need to do. With the MOS series, there are (poorly-designed) mounting plates that all have different post and screw arrangements to accommodate basically any micro red dot on the market today. With a little work, I was able to mount up this Burris FF3, and I'm really happy with it. For you, you'll have to send the slide off to get milled. Even though it seems like everyone and their dog is offering RMR milling as a service now, I'd only go to reputable shops for this. I've seen too many slides get really buggered up by shadetree gunsmiths. Reputable services that come to mind:

Glockmeister
ADCO
Suarez
Class 3 Machining (although I know them for their barrel threading services, I'm sure they'd help you out)

Once that's done, you'll be able to mount your optic (more than likely a Trijicon RMR) and have some fun with it. However, you're probably going to want some taller sights to cowitness with the dot. If you're trying to get shots off quick, it's actually easier to pick up the irons for the first shot. If you don't have cowitnessed sights, you'll be doing the dot wiggle trying to find it in the window. It's not necessary, but I highly recommend it for most shooters. I don't have them on my Glock, but that's because it's just my preference to only have the dot.

Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: slayer12] #6322906 06/04/16 10:48 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Does anybody mill the slide to mount the sight closer to the end of the barrel? I have found that she using optics on a pistol, mainly red dots, it's easier to acquire the dot if the sight is mounted farther forward

Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: slayer12] #6322922 06/04/16 10:59 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
If it's slide-mounted and farther forward, it's harder to track, however, because the muzzle will be jumping around as you fire.

Mounts like the ALG Six Second and Carver's put the optic either on top of or forward of the ejection port, but they have the advantage of staying stationary as the gun cycles. I much prefer these to a simple slide mounted optic, but you have to pick what works on each gun.

Anyway, to answer your question, no. Nobody makes the cuts farther forward because I'm pretty sure there isn't enough metal for the mounting screws to not shear off or strip after only a couple hundred rounds.

Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: HicksHunter] #6322929 06/04/16 11:10 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: HicksHunter
If it's slide-mounted and farther forward, it's harder to track, however, because the muzzle will be jumping around as you fire.

No harder than tracking open sights as the muzzle jumps.

I had a revolver that I mounted the optic right at the end of the barrel and it was great, but it had a full length top rail for optics. Figured the front of the slide might not be as thick

Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: slayer12] #6322942 06/04/16 11:23 PM
H
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
It is, because if the dot is out of the window, there's no way to know exactly where it is. Having it farther out means that every little degree to one side or the other will make it harder to find.

Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: slayer12] #6323002 06/05/16 12:24 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Carver mount and a cmore.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: slayer12] #6323005 06/05/16 12:24 AM
S
slayer12 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Are all cuts done for the Trijicon?

Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: HicksHunter] #6323012 06/05/16 12:31 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: HicksHunter
Here's my Open division Glock 34.

I started with a Glock MOS, so it's a little different than what you'll need to do. With the MOS series, there are (poorly-designed) mounting plates that all have different post and screw arrangements to accommodate basically any micro red dot on the market today. With a little work, I was able to mount up this Burris FF3, and I'm really happy with it. For you, you'll have to send the slide off to get milled. Even though it seems like everyone and their dog is offering RMR milling as a service now, I'd only go to reputable shops for this. I've seen too many slides get really buggered up by shadetree gunsmiths. Reputable services that come to mind:

Glockmeister
ADCO
Suarez
Class 3 Machining (although I know them for their barrel threading services, I'm sure they'd help you out)

Once that's done, you'll be able to mount your optic (more than likely a Trijicon RMR) and have some fun with it. However, you're probably going to want some taller sights to cowitness with the dot. If you're trying to get shots off quick, it's actually easier to pick up the irons for the first shot. If you don't have cowitnessed sights, you'll be doing the dot wiggle trying to find it in the window. It's not necessary, but I highly recommend it for most shooters. I don't have them on my Glock, but that's because it's just my preference to only have the dot.

Lose the magwell and shoot Carry Optics

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Glock optic???'s [Re: slayer12] #6323052 06/05/16 12:56 AM
H
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: slayer12
Are all cuts done for the Trijicon?

It seems like it, simply because it's the most popular option by far. But that's probably partially due to the fact that it's the only optic that anyone machines slides to fit. You can see the relationship there. Only way to find out if someone will cut your slide for another optic is to ask.

And I'm not a USPSA shooter yet, so once I find a good club I might drop the magwell. There's not a lot of support for it down here, so I just shoot a lot of bastardized steel challenge with Texas Steel Competition, and I'm trying to do IDPA and tactical carbine more frequently.

Last edited by HicksHunter; 06/05/16 12:57 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide