Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,132
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6478203 10/03/16 01:45 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Nothing wrong with a 2 blade muzzy. Been killing game pretty much since day one of modern archery hunting

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6478227 10/03/16 01:52 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
The only negative to the 2 blade muzzy is that when speeds get fast, they do want to catch air and move around some. I noticed this when shooting my newer bow during broad head testing. When I first started using the 2 blade Muzzy, I was shooting an old PSE bow with large tree trunk arrows at a much slower speed. Penetration was guaranteed, even on some of the large 250-300# boars I shot.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: Jimbo] #6478230 10/03/16 01:53 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
70# Mathews. I was running 252 fps before I replaced my limbs, and now I'm certain I'm faster than that, since my draw weight increased and my sight spacing is less from my old drop. I've just had really good kills and performance from my fixed blades. Years ago, I started with the 2 blade Muzzy broad heads, and they penetrate like crazy and were very effective. I tried a variety of other fixed blades, and they worked well. I went to the Rage, and have had nothing but issues. I have gone back to my fixed blades, and I don't plan to switch again now.

I hate O-rings and will never use another one that has them.

Not sure what other mechanicals you have tried but sure wouldn't compare all Mechanical's to the Rage.

Personally, I have never used the small diameter fixed but there are two guys on our lease that do. Tracking their deer is difficult because of the minimal blood loss but finding their arrow is just as difficult because of how far it goes after it passes through the animal.

I have had a pass through on every deer I have shot and shoot a lower speed and poundage than you do, with mechanicals.

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I killed a buck opening day with a rage and as the deer was running off I could see the fire hydrant flow of red coming out of the animal as it fled. The buck went only 50 yards, and a half blind person could follow the blood trail.
It's a mechanical and in my opinion there is always going to be a chance of failure, and having used different brands over the years it doesn't make a difference what type of mechanical you use it's going to happen.
I've been using them for several seasons and I can't say I've recovered all the animals I've taken with them because there has been a couple I can think of I didn't recover, but I can't put all the blame on the broadhead.
If there is a silver bullet out there, I'm sure it will be just a short while when all the others will soon be out of business.

I don't agree with this at all. I have been using the same broadhead for at least ten years, probably longer. There are 7 other guys that have switched to the same broadhead. Combined, we have killed numerous animals with no failure. If I had a failure or experienced one first hand, I would no longer use that equipment.

I do agree that there are times that a loss deer is blamed on the broadhead when it was hunter error. My experience with Rage, the deer dropped dead in its tracks. I hit right behind the shoulder, bottom 3rd of the body. Arrow deflected straight up and hit the spine. I have seen two other animals shot with Rage that the arrow deflected and two on video that showed the deflection, but animal wasn't recovered.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: txshntr] #6478305 10/03/16 02:40 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: txshntr
70# Mathews. I was running 252 fps before I replaced my limbs, and now I'm certain I'm faster than that, since my draw weight increased and my sight spacing is less from my old drop. I've just had really good kills and performance from my fixed blades. Years ago, I started with the 2 blade Muzzy broad heads, and they penetrate like crazy and were very effective. I tried a variety of other fixed blades, and they worked well. I went to the Rage, and have had nothing but issues. I have gone back to my fixed blades, and I don't plan to switch again now.

I hate O-rings and will never use another one that has them.

Not sure what other mechanicals you have tried but sure wouldn't compare all Mechanical's to the Rage.

Personally, I have never used the small diameter fixed but there are two guys on our lease that do. Tracking their deer is difficult because of the minimal blood loss but finding their arrow is just as difficult because of how far it goes after it passes through the animal.

I have had a pass through on every deer I have shot and shoot a lower speed and poundage than you do, with mechanicals.

I killed a buck opening day with a rage and as the deer was running off I could see the fire hydrant flow of red coming out of the animal as it fled. The buck went only 50 yards, and a half blind person could follow the blood trail.
It's a mechanical and in my opinion there is always going to be a chance of failure, and having used different brands over the years it doesn't make a difference what type of mechanical you use it's going to happen.
I've been using them for several seasons and I can't say I've recovered all the animals I've taken with them because there has been a couple I can think of I didn't recover, but I can't put all the blame on the broadhead.
If there is a silver bullet out there, I'm sure it will be just a short while when all the others will soon be out of business.

I don't agree with this at all. I have been using the same broadhead for at least ten years, probably longer. There are 7 other guys that have switched to the same broadhead. Combined, we have killed numerous animals with no failure. If I had a failure or experienced one first hand, I would no longer use that equipment.

I do agree that there are times that a loss deer is blamed on the broadhead when it was hunter error. My experience with Rage, the deer dropped dead in its tracks. I hit right behind the shoulder, bottom 3rd of the body. Arrow deflected straight up and hit the spine. I have seen two other animals shot with Rage that the arrow deflected and two on video that showed the deflection, but animal wasn't recovered.

So what brand is the perfect head that works under any and all conditions?
Not trying to be a smart arse, just want to make sure I buy the right brand! cheers

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/03/16 02:44 PM.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6478354 10/03/16 03:00 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I used the old NAP Shockwave 3 blade mechanical for years and still use them on hogs/turkey/javis. They shot the same as my field tips. I use 3 blade fixed Excalibur Broadheads in my crossbow and they shoot well. For the first time this year, I now shoot Swhacker 2 blade mechanical in my bow. They shoot the same as field tips for me. Only issues I have had in the past is when I made a bad shot.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: Jimbo] #6478517 10/03/16 04:26 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

Not trying to be a smart arse, just want to make sure I buy the right brand! cheers

Not saying it is perfect, just giving my opinion and experience, but I am sold on NAP spitfire. Never had one fail, never had one deflect, great blood trails, and shoot exactly like my field tips. Only losses are from hunter error.

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6478563 10/03/16 04:43 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Had a Rage fail to deploy on my Black Buck, luckily I still made a recovery. Not a Fan of them but broke down and bought another package for a Javi Hunt and I run the Easton Deep Six HIT and had a failure on a Javi last year, it made impact and shredded and broke off at the insert..I blamed this on the Arrow and not the head. BUT my Mathews loves them and they are faster than snot and love the penetration. I just keep going back to the Slick Tricks, they have never failed me.

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: txshntr] #6478644 10/03/16 05:28 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Not saying it is perfect, just giving my opinion and experience, but I am sold on NAP spitfire. Never had one fail, never had one deflect, great blood trails, and shoot exactly like my field tips. Only losses are from hunter error.

Now I remember that I've used these before and I don't have any complaint only that I had to be careful placing them in my quiver because they would slightly have a tendency to open unless I gently pushed them into the foam hood.
Probably the only reason I went with the Rage heads.
They are a really good broadhead, I'll give you that!

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/03/16 05:31 PM.

Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: Jimbo] #6478689 10/03/16 05:55 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
The only reason I don't use fixed 1" cut broadheads on deer is after years of hunting bow only leases the most often lost animal comes from smaller cut fixed heads in the high lungs. You just don't get much blood with a small hole in high lung. I shoot a 60# Bowtech at 300 fps and a 2" grim reaper mechanical blows thru any deer you shoot. And if your shot isn't perfect you still have a better chance of retrieving your deer. Now for hogs I prefer the NAP hell razor fixed head. Got a complete pass thru on a hog Saturday with no damage to the head or arrow. And the pig only went about 30 yrds.

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: ChrisB] #6478709 10/03/16 06:07 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
The only reason I don't use fixed 1" cut broadheads on deer is after years of hunting bow only leases the most often lost animal comes from smaller cut fixed heads in the high lungs. You just don't get much blood with a small hole in high lung. I shoot a 60# Bowtech at 300 fps and a 2" grim reaper mechanical blows thru any deer you shoot. And if your shot isn't perfect you still have a better chance of retrieving your deer. Now for hogs I prefer the NAP hell razor fixed head. Got a complete pass thru on a hog Saturday with no damage to the head or arrow. And the pig only went about 30 yrds.

This is the reason I use the sidewinders and hammerheads

Big holes leave a ton of blood.

I shot a doe a few years back high and far back hit the back end of the lungs and liver, with a fixed I don't think I would have got her she piled up within 75 yards.

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: Jimbo] #6478746 10/03/16 06:32 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

Now I remember that I've used these before and I don't have any complaint only that I had to be careful placing them in my quiver because they would slightly have a tendency to open unless I gently pushed them into the foam hood.
Probably the only reason I went with the Rage heads.
They are a really good broadhead, I'll give you that!

cheers I took the foam out of my quiver and installed magnets to hold my arrows in place....so I didn't even think about that grin

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: ChrisB] #6478781 10/03/16 06:53 PM
R
rattler03 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

I have had this happen to me as well. Several years ago when I was still relatively new to bowhunting the archery guy at Cabelas sold me on a smaller cutting diameter broadhead. I lost a good buck that year using it. I had good penetration and the deer shook the arrow really quick, I think through the exit hole (I was in my teens and shooting an older bow at about 57 lbs if I remember correctly - never had a complete passthru with that bow but the penatration on this particular shot seemed better than normal as he ran off). The blood trail was good enough for maybe 60 yards, but after that it fizzled out to the point of not being able to track it. From what I remember, I felt like I had good shot placement maybe a bit high and lung blood on the arrow. We looked hard for that deer but never recovered him or saw him on the hoof again. After about 100 yards we were just wandering around hoping to stumble across him. That is really a frustrating event when you feel like you executed every think good enough to seal the deal only to never find the deer.

Last edited by rattler03; 10/03/16 06:55 PM.
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: rattler03] #6478836 10/03/16 07:38 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: rattler03

I have had this happen to me as well. Several years ago when I was still relatively new to bowhunting the archery guy at Cabelas sold me on a smaller cutting diameter broadhead. I lost a good buck that year using it. I had good penetration and the deer shook the arrow really quick, I think through the exit hole (I was in my teens and shooting an older bow at about 57 lbs if I remember correctly - never had a complete passthru with that bow but the penatration on this particular shot seemed better than normal as he ran off). The blood trail was good enough for maybe 60 yards, but after that it fizzled out to the point of not being able to track it. From what I remember, I felt like I had good shot placement maybe a bit high and lung blood on the arrow. We looked hard for that deer but never recovered him or saw him on the hoof again. After about 100 yards we were just wandering around hoping to stumble across him. That is really a frustrating event when you feel like you executed every think good enough to seal the deal only to never find the deer.

Yep, this is all part of bowhunting, and why we all have differing opinions as to which broadhead is better than the other.

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6479102 10/03/16 10:19 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline OP
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
As with any product in the American hunting industry, some have good experiences while others have bad ones. I've yet to have a bad experience with the Rage 2-blade, original, SC, and 40KE models. I will stick with them until I have an issue. How's that sound?

The broadhead I used when under 50lb was the NAP Thunderhead, in 85gr. I shot a fallow doe, tiny pig, and small corsican ram with that head and absolutely loved it. I have a 3-pack of Slick Tricks I might mess with, but likely just going to pick up a pack of Rage SC.

With both broadheads, I've had complete pass-thrus from 15-25yd. Barely missed the shoulder blade on that first doe, but the rest were all pretty solid shots. The ram had double lung, liver, and heart slices. Maybe I put the arrow right or my packages of broadheads were the best of the batch, but lack of penetration hasn't been an issue thus far.

Happy hunting and may your blood trails end in dead mammals instead of broken arrows and mis-deployed broadheads. smile

Last edited by chital_shikari; 10/03/16 10:21 PM.
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6479128 10/03/16 10:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
As with any product in the American hunting industry, some have good experiences while others have bad ones. I've yet to have a bad experience with the Rage 2-blade, original, SC, and 40KE models. I will stick with them until I have an issue. How's that sound)

Yeah but how many animals have you show with the rage?

I don't care for them for reasons unrelated to them hitting an animal. Buddies swear by them but they are shooting heavy poundage heavy arrows.

My concerns about them or any mechanical head for that matter is when your taking an angleing shot.

With the new locking collar, the issue I had should be fixed. I don't buy them because I don't wanna spend the extra $10 to buy a broad head that won't kill better than what I'm shooting.

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: ChadTRG42] #6479523 10/04/16 02:16 AM
cheetah577 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I have used the 2 blade Rage, and will never use them again. And even more, I will never use a mechanical ever again. Simple physics- The larger the opening, the more the broadhead comes into contact with, and limits it penetration. Sure, it sounds great in theory, but you take a 2, 3 or 4 blade fixed broad head with a 7.8" or 1" cutting diameter, it will penetrate like no other. I want a pass through when bow hunting. Mechanical broad heads have not given me that. And the Rage was the worst one I have used. I have also had the blades come open and notice it when I draw on an animal. Fixed blades won't do this.

I had the same experience Saturday. I shot a hog with a fixed blade broad head on Friday with great results. Bolt went straight through.
Shot a spike at 30 yards with a Rage and no blood. The bolt was sticking out as the deer ran away. I'm using fixed blades from here on.

God bless John Wayne!
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6479608 10/04/16 03:10 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Put a Rage in. Doe's cage last night. Dropped her in her tracks. She tried to get up but the blood was pouring out like a faucet and she probably got 10 feet or less.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: txtrophy85] #6479686 10/04/16 04:44 AM
C
chital_shikari Offline OP
Minor in training
OP Offline
Minor in training
C
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
As with any product in the American hunting industry, some have good experiences while others have bad ones. I've yet to have a bad experience with the Rage 2-blade, original, SC, and 40KE models. I will stick with them until I have an issue. How's that sound)

Yeah but how many animals have you show with the rage?
3 personally. Dad shot 2. Witnessed another 1. So seen 6 with my own eyes and I like em confused2

Good work passthru!!

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6479793 10/04/16 12:19 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
[quote] "Buddies swear by them but they are shooting heavy poundage heavy arrows." [quote]

This is true for any broadhead that is mechanical that expands cutting a large hole.
You have to have the kinetic energy of mass to drive those blades forward as they open and begin applying the brakes, so your buddies are doing it right.
Most failures with mechanicals can probably be attributed to light arrows and fast bows, for flatter trajectories, and if the arrow isn't properly tuned that can also cause a problem with some heads as well.

That said, a bad shot is still a bad shot no matter what you are using.

Last edited by Jimbo; 10/04/16 03:05 PM.

Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6480490 10/04/16 06:53 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I like the rage myself, I've lost 1 deer with them but it was shooter error, it was a doe I shot in oct and the deer ended up being shot in dec with a rifle by my dad, we didn't know it was the same deer until I skinned it and was quartering it up, I found the rage and an inch or so of my arrow embedded in her front shoulder bone.

🍻
Re: Why I shoot Rage (also have a question) [Re: chital_shikari] #6481213 10/05/16 01:48 AM
S
SowHntr Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
A few years back my buddy told me he lost a huge ten. He was bow hunting with the rage. Brought dogs out to track the blood, they never found the deer. He took me out a month and a half later with the boomsticks. We were walking back from a morning hunt and jumped a large buck, he drew up and shot him. We watched him run and hit the ground. When we were walking up he said,"holy crap Josh, this is my big ten." We rolled him over to the right side and he had a growth. When we cut it open his rage was in the exiting shoulder. The rage did not open, and it still had 4 inches of his arrow connected to it. I'am so glad the buck was not lost during bow season. It was a great and remeberable hunt. Deer scored 151".

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide