Print Thread
Dog Food #6320707 06/03/16 01:52 AM
M
mskeeter Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
I am new to the forum and have my first German Shorthair pointer. She is 10 months old. My question is, what dog food do you recommend? What are some I should steer clear from?

I currently use PMI Red Flannel Red 27%. My dog is very active and has good muscle tone, but her ribs are showing. I know they are naturally thin dogs, just curious if she is maybe to thin.

Thanks for your comments.
Michael

Re: Dog Food [Re: mskeeter] #6320726 06/03/16 02:02 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
In my opinion Dr Tim's Pursuit is an excellent choice. If I didn't feed Dr. Tim's I'd go with Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20

Do your research and take a long look at the ingredients of any other foods suggested.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Dog Food [Re: mskeeter] #6321049 06/03/16 12:23 PM
S
Sweese Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Expect to get a lot of answers on this post. It is like arguing Ford, Chevy or Ram.

Here is some advice I picked up many years ago: Your dog should show a waistline, an indent behind the rib cage. You also do not want a flat back. You should be able to feel that backbone. Lastly, if your dog is neutered they need about 50% less food than is indicated on a required feeding label. Yes, a lot of calories go to their reproduction system. The dog may still seem hungry, but does not need it. I am sure you have witnessed many overweight, neutered/spayed retrievers in the neighborhood.

With that said, most intact GSPs are naturally lean and will burn a lot of calories,especially when working in the fall/winter. You may need more protein for your dog, in order to have her work and look to her full potential.

Plug to follow:
I feed Orijen Regional Red which is in effect 38% protein (75% meat). Link: http://www.orijen.ca/products/dog-food/dry-dog-food/regional-red/

It has given my dog all day energy in the field. In 2013, 2014, I ran her on PP sport 30/20 and in 2015 switched to Regional Red. There was not much difference in the duck blind, but quartering a field for pheasants is where I really saw it. She has much more endurance on RR and will keep a strong pace for hours. Orijen RR can be found at specialty pet food retailers. Be prepared to spend more for a higher quality food.

Regards,

Jay
Photographer Afield
www.jayschwisow.com

Re: Dog Food [Re: mskeeter] #6321206 06/03/16 02:03 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Consumer Reports did a study on dog foods. They concluded that all the tested foods were fine. You can put some meat on those ribs by adding a slice of buttered bread to each feeding or a little cooking oil.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Dog Food [Re: mskeeter] #6321280 06/03/16 02:57 PM
E
Eagle 1 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
E
Congrats on your new GSP. I've run GSP's for quite some time and I've used a variety of foods. All of them good but here is my suggestion. If you're happy with the PMI Red Flannel, throw a few more dollars out and move up to the Exclusive line of PMI. It's a much better quality food and my dogs loved it. Also, I believe if you buy 6 bags from a PMI dealer you get a free bag.

I'm currently using 4Health from Tractor Supply and dogs coats seem to be a bit better and there's a little less stool. Good luck!
JMc

Last edited by Eagle 1; 06/03/16 02:57 PM.

JMc

This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department...
Re: Dog Food [Re: Sweese] #6321349 06/03/16 03:57 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Sweese
Expect to get a lot of answers on this post. It is like arguing Ford, Chevy or Ram.

Here is some advice I picked up many years ago: Your dog should show a waistline, an indent behind the rib cage. You also do not want a flat back. You should be able to feel that backbone. Lastly, if your dog is neutered they need about 50% less food than is indicated on a required feeding label. Yes, a lot of calories go to their reproduction system. The dog may still seem hungry, but does not need it. I am sure you have witnessed many overweight, neutered/spayed retrievers in the neighborhood.

With that said, most intact GSPs are naturally lean and will burn a lot of calories,especially when working in the fall/winter. You may need more protein for your dog, in order to have her work and look to her full potential.

Plug to follow:
I feed Orijen Regional Red which is in effect 38% protein (75% meat). Link: http://www.orijen.ca/products/dog-food/dry-dog-food/regional-red/

It has given my dog all day energy in the field. In 2013, 2014, I ran her on PP sport 30/20 and in 2015 switched to Regional Red. There was not much difference in the duck blind, but quartering a field for pheasants is where I really saw it. She has much more endurance on RR and will keep a strong pace for hours. Orijen RR can be found at specialty pet food retailers. Be prepared to spend more for a higher quality food.

That looks to be a nice food.

To the OP...If you are wanting a higher protien food Dr. Tim's Momentum 35/25 could be another option. It has a higher fat content and the addition of probiotics and prebiotics.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Dog Food [Re: mskeeter] #6321400 06/03/16 04:28 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I'm feeding the 4Health from Tractor Supply. I'm satisfied with it. I think the grain free made a difference in my oldest dog.

When I was a kid we fed the cheapest dog food and table scraps. We hunted our dogs every evening during quail season and all day on Saturdays. We hunted on foot but I never saw any of our pointers or shorthairs run out of gas. Hunting dogs hard like that they usually didn't last past 6 years old. Maybe the diet had something to do with that.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide